Forums

Topic: How many of you ONLY own a Wii-U for next gen gaming?

Posts 321 to 340 of 416

MsJubilee

AlexSays wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

. I don't care because for me Nintendo is the best.

That's nice man that's nice

I feel you bro, I feel you

You have a nice night now ok

I feel you to dudebro,Alright bro?Bro?

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Assassin's Creed: Revelations & Watch Dogs 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

DefHalan

AlexSays wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

And I am happy for you that you can find enjoyment with Sony, You have a nice night too

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

AlexSays

I actually don't mention what I enjoy hardly ever because it's irrelevant. Everyone's personal opinion is equally worthless, which is why objective comparisons can only be made using numbers. ^.^

midnafanboy wrote:

AlexSays wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

I feel you to dudebro,Alright bro?Bro?

I like that you feel me too man

I feel like we're all coming together.. like one big brommunity

AlexSays

iKhan

AlexSays wrote:

As far as pure numbers go, PS4 has about 16 games more than the Wii U ranked >75 on metacritic (number is superficial, pick any reasonable number if you wish)

We deduced in another thread that between 10-20% of those 100 or so games are FPS/TPS (so there goes the myth that they're all shooters).

I'm way too lazy to go through each consoles library and pick out console exclusive, but the Wii U would have to have twice as many exclusives in order for you all to push your platform of the Wii U being the console for exclusives. If it has less than twice as many, after being out twice as long, it's rate is lower and therefore will be surpassed.

Of course all this is meaningless because when anyone shows statistically that the PS3 had more games, people just say the Wii's were 50000x time better because omg Mario, but analyzing the numbers is interesting nonetheless.

Having games is almost meaningless for a new generation console if those games are available on previous generation systems. I don't get why that's hard for people to get. The PS4 is literally 4 times more expensive than a 360 and about 2 times more expensive than a PS3, but most decent games on PS4 are available on PS360. Unless the experience on the PS4 is THAT much better, there isn't much of a reason to own one.

Lets look at Metacritic's PS4 games list
http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/ps...

For the purpose of practicality, I'm gonna ignore Download only games for the moment. Here are all the PS4 games with a score above 75 that AREN'T available for a last gen system.

Infamous: Second Son
(Arguably) Metro: REDUX

Expanding the list to games with a score above 70, you add:
Assassin's Creed: Unity
EA Sports UFC
Killzone: Shadowfall
Driveclub
Shadow Warrior

...Okay, WOW, that's even worse than I thought. That's not "no variety". That's "virtually no games at all". Now with indie and downloadable games, it really is another story. The PS4 has a good number of exclusive downloadable games, and if you want a PS4 mostly to play those games, that's totally understandable. I'll give you one thing though, the "it's all shooters" thing is a myth, though at the moment, it's still pretty confined to sports titles and mature realistic titles. Nintendo has been the opposite (for the most part).

The PS3 was insanely overpriced at launch. It took a while to become a respectable system. Hell, even JRPGs were skipping PS3 for 360 for a while. The Wii had one of the best first few years in recent memory, in terms of games and sales.

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

shingi_70

Holy ****, dudes using meta critic scores to determine if a game is good or not now.

Once again @ikhan it seems that your using the word variety wrong.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

iKhan

shingi_70 wrote:

Holy ****, dudes using meta critic scores to determine if a game is good or not now.

Once again @ikhan it seems that your using the word variety wrong.

I guess you could use gamerankings, but that's the most objective way to judge what the average reaction to a game was.

I was. It's not that the PS4 has no variety. It's that it has virtually no games worth buying the system for at all. If you own a PS3 or 360, you could buy the other system for substantially less money and get substantially more games for a substantially cheaper price.

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Einherjar

Does owning a PS4 but not using it since it already fullfilled its purpose also count ?
No seriously, some of you already know, that im a huge Koei nut, so i literally got myself a PS4 for Samurai Warriors 4 and the upcomming Warriors titles. Yes, nothing more.
And to be perfectly honest, @iKhan sais it all. It offers very little, and what it offers is rather poor, generic or available on other systems.
Its the only console i ever regretted to buy and im rather happy that i got it a little cheaper than usual.
For me, it has done what it was bought for: Playing Koei games, now waiting for more from them (BladeStorm remake incomming)

So yes, when it comes to owning systems, i got a PS4, when it comes to using them, i only use my WiiU, and that more often than any other System i own together.
Its the center of attention when friends are over, Wii and WiiU VC combined offers me a huge selection of some of my favourite classics, Wii backwards compatibility widens the pallate with even more great games, and then there are the fantastic WiiU titles already out and comming.

Einherjar

3DS Friend Code: 3823-8503-1730 | Nintendo Network ID: EinherjarZX

kyuubikid213

skywake wrote:

kyuubikid213 wrote:

Why should I buy a PlayStation 4 or an Xbox One?

Why indeed...
Untitled

I mean, just personally, I don't hate either console and I want all three (Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony) to continue to make games and consoles for a long time, but there's nothing on the Xbox One or PlayStation 4 that interests me at the moment that I either A) Feel is necessary for saving up $460 or B) Can't get on my Xbox 360.

Titanfall, Alien Isolation, Shadow of Mordor, Grand Theft Auto 5, Farcry 4, Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, Tomb Raider... These are all experiences I can get on my 360? What's the point of upgrading to a One (I guess I'll start calling it XBO now...) to get those same games?

Why did I get a Wii U? Well, for starters, the GamePad offered me a new way to play games on my home console. A giant DS in the living room? Sweet. And the screens weren't attached? There are so many different features that can be implemented into my games! Secondly, I could still use all of my Wii accessories and it was backwards compatible, so I didn't have to switch between the Wii and Wii U when I wanted to sink some time into Xenoblade Chronicles...and games that came out in 2011 would be playable for people who didn't have a Wii to start with. On top of all that, I didn't have a 360 at the time, so the PS360 ports were welcome. Batman Arkham City: Armored Edition? Mass Effect 3? Great, I'm satisfied. And as time went on with the console, there were only a few cross-generation releases. I never felt like I spent my money unnecessarily. And it was only $300? Nice price, too. Every game I own on my Wii U is not available on my Wii. It's great.

Now why don't I want a PS4 or XBO just yet? There are only a couple games I'm interested in that aren't available on last gen. Infamous Second Son looks great, but I'm not going to drop $400 for one game. Sunset Overdrive looks cool, but not $400 (or even $350) cool. So far, the consoles are saturated with games that are either available on PS3, 360, and PC or "HD" Rereleases. Say what you will about Wind Waker HD or Ocarina of Time 3D, but those games came out YEARS after their original versions while Tomb Raider Definitive Edition came out in ONE. The Last of Us Remastered came out in ONE. GTAV came out in ONE. Alright, well, even if the games are the same, there are new ways to play, right? Not really... Sure, the DualShock 4's touchpad HAS been used in interesting ways, but more often than not, it replaces the Select button that the other 8th generation consoles decided to remove. There's sixaxis, but I've not yet heard of that being used in a neat way in gameplay aside from doing graffiti in Infamous. And what's the light for? It's cool, but it doesn't really do anything. Surely the Kinect will offer up some interesting play, right? What? It's gone? Okay...so how does it differ from my 360? It doesn't? Oh. No Back button either, huh? Why? So far, the PS4 and XBO have shown me that they offer VERY LITTLE that my 360 already offers me. From day ONE, the Wii U proved it was a MAJOR upgrade from the Wii. It's even more upsetting when there are articles and videos and forum posts where people are upset about how "underpowered" the PS4 and XBO are. They're supposed to be "next-gen", but they've not been able to handle those fabled 1080p/60fps sweet spots favoring 30fps or 60fps with some weird subHD resolution. I don't particularly care about 1080p/60fps, but if I'm going to hear about how advanced these consoles are, they can at the very least show me that they can do more than just have better textures than their predecessors. And why is not having backwards compatibility a thing people defend so vigorously? It's stupid. Sony and Microsoft could have put backwards compatibility in their consoles if they wanted to, but they didn't. You know why? So they could rerelease year old games and people would buy them again.

I didn't intend for that rant to go on as long as it did, but...yeah. That's why I only have a Wii U for 8th generation gaming at the moment. When the time comes when the PS4 and/or XBO can offer me something my 360 can't that's not just a graphical upgrade, I'll consider it.

I own a PS1, GBA, GBA SP, Wii (GCN), 360, 3DS, PC (Laptop), Wii U, and PS4.
I used to own a GBC, PS2, and DS Lite

I'm on YouTube.

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I pro...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213

Ha. I posted my rant and @Einherjar and @iKhan said it before me. Haha.

I'm on YouTube.

I pro...

shingi_70

@kyuubikid213

Err, they couldn't put backwards compatability in without putting two systems into one, hence PSNow.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

kyuubikid213

shingi_70 wrote:

@kyuubikid213

Err, they couldn't put backwards compatability in without putting two systems into one, hence PSNow.

But it wouldn't have been impossible for them to have done so. They did it for money reasons and nothing more.

EDIT: I know the PS4 and XBO use different architectures from their past gen counterparts, but they still could have done it.

Edited on by kyuubikid213

I'm on YouTube.

I pro...

Einherjar

@kyuubikid213 Always one step ahead of you No seriously, your post was great.
And its exactly what i was saying for years. People keep complaining about Nintendo reusing the same pool of franchises.
Look at it like that:
Take the classic board game of Monopoly. Everyone should know it.
For me, Nintendo feels like this: You take monopoly and all of its assets, the same streets, trinkets, cards etc and completely change the rules. You have familiar assets, but a different game to play.
What other companys are doing is more like keeping the original rules intact but change the assets. A more elaborate board, new, flashy trinkets etc.

Infamous for the PS4 for instance. Its basically a carbon copy of Infamous 1 and 2. Does it mean its bad ? No, because Infamous 1 and 2 werent bad. But whats so special about the same game for the third time ? And call me ignorant, but its graphics dont really show the systems capabilities.
Killzone on the other hand disappointed even the series fans for being rather...simple. Its a generic, straight forward console FPS. Yes, it looks flashy, but that cant be it, right ? Sadly, it is. It looks nice, and thats all it has to offer in terms of next gen hardware.

The highlight on PS4 right now for me is still Drive Club. It wanted to show what the system is capable in terms of online play. It was basically planned as some sort of MMO hybrid to be released at launch...it didnt. It came a year to late.
So, why is it a highlight ? Many games come a little late...well, i already said its some sort of MMO right ? Well...THATS the part that still doesnt work...
It released a year later as planned and it STILL doesnt work. 9 times out of 10, it fails to connect to the server. Other than that, its riddled with bugs that render its core features unusable.
You probably have heard about the feature that it creates mini challenges on the fly during a race. Lets say the player in pole position does a really nice drift through a corner. The game counts his drift points and sets it up for a challenge for every racer behind him, passing the same corner. The kicker ?
Well, there is a bug. The game not only tallys the drifting, but everything else it can counts into the challenge: Top speed, drifting, accelleratoion you name it.
The same goes for the "average speed" challenge. Instead of calculating the average speed for a particular section, the game just continuously adds that players accelleration to the number. So, have fun beating that 6425km/h top speed challenge.
Did i already mention that these challenges are the only thing giving you enough EXP so the game doesnt become a grind fest ?
And remember, they had an extra year of development time.

Thats my experience on the PS4 so far. I mostly got my games through sales, so i havent invested all that much into it. But its riddled with games i already played, games that dont work and games that were new, but at the same time, offered literally nothing i havent seen so far.

And then i ask myself: Why exactly is it selling like crazy ? Why are people so excited about a console without games ? Oh wait, people say the console without games is the WiiU...Why are they so excited about a console, that cant handle its own games ? Oh, again, its the WiiU that cant handle games, since its underpowered...
I sense a certain pattern here. Everything the WiiU got accused of, the other consoles suffer too. In spades.

Oh, and another funny tidbit of my PS4 experience so far, since i talked about it in a youtube comment thread today.
I just told you how little games i have played on the system , right ?
I own 4 physical and 3 digital retail games and a handfull of digital games i got through PS+....and my 500GB harddrive is pretty much full.
Why ? Because every game, even disc ones require a full installation. Diablo 3 jumps in at 50GB for instance.
And there is no way to expand it...But i though the WiiU with its pitifull 8 / 32 GB models were the bad apples here ?
Well, for people going retail discs only, the 8GB are more than enough, since the WiiU doesnt need installations (while still having next to no load times by the way)
And, and here comes the big one, i can hook up whatever external HDD i get my hands on and use it as my main drive, something no other console ever offered.
And since HDD prices are dropping fast, i will never have space issues on the system.

So yes, switching games on my PS4 now means deleting and reinstalling game files over and over. Fun for the whole family, let me tell you.

Einherjar

AlexSays

@ ikhan: I agree that a PS3 or Xbox One is undoubtedly a much better value and will be for quite some time. There's no reason to develop solely for a current gen console, when those games are easily ported to consoles with much, much larger install bases.

So that's never in doubt. If you're comparing strictly Wii U vs X1/PS4, I think that ideology is a bit unfair. Games not on the Wii U don't hurt the system because those games are counted against the other consoles.

In terms of people upgrading from the previous generation, of course it matters. Those people have less of an incentive to upgrade at the moment. If people are choosing amongst the newest consoles, they're likely not going to ignore games like Far Cry 4, DA3, etc. because ports were also released on the previous gen.

For our purposes here, I'll acquiesce that those games can be ignored as they are easily obtained on cheaper systems, and that the Wii U has a distinct advantage at the moment and in the future if they keep at this current pace (or increase their pace with an increased effort by Sony or Microsoft).

I also commend you for typing a detailed, objective description of the libraries without intervening personal annotations

AlexSays

AlexSays

I didn't read the entire books posted above, but in response to the one part that did stick out:

The PS4 could not have easily had backwards compatibility. The use of 'teh cell' so famously touted would require similar technology in the PS4. Sony opted for something a bit easier to work with, therefore also reading PS3 games would be an impossible task.

I have no idea if it's the same with the Xbox One, but I imagine so. Either way, backwards compatibility would have drastically increased the size of the console, produced heating issues, and ramped up the price. At that point, it makes more sense for Sony/MS and consumers just to stick with the older consoles. Why have a bulkier, more expensive console prone to overheating, when you can just spend that extra money on a fine tuned PS3 or 360.

AlexSays

Einherjar

@AlexSays On the other hand, my european toploader PS3, who doesnt have the chipsets build in to play PS2 games is still able to play PS2 games offered on PSN.
For systems so "advanced" youd only need a couple of necessary chips and a tiny bit of emulation magic and boom, backawards compatibility.
Its in no way impossible. And you already said it, the new consoles architecture is more close to what you get on a PC. Its was a step taken to lessen the cost and effort of bringing games to the system, since they are developed using PCs anyways.
And dont tell me, that PC architecture isnt flexible enough to make emulation a thing, especially looking at the ridiculous power boost the PS4 got, compared to the PS3.

And yes, "emulation isnt perfect", but hey, they would still run better than some native games...ahem Unity ahem

Einherjar

kyuubikid213

AlexSays wrote:

I didn't read the entire books posted above...

I'm not surprised.

I'm on YouTube.

I pro...

AlexSays

So yes, switching games on my PS4 now means deleting and reinstalling game files over and over. Fun for the whole family, let me tell you.

You can have like 10 games installed at a time.. how often are you having to delete/reinstall? Ignoring the fact it takes a relatively short amount of time..

Plus you can upgrade fairly easily at any time, just in case you absolutely have to have 20+ games installed at all times.

AlexSays

AlexSays

Yes, a little magic and boom, you have backwards compatibility.

That is precisely how it happens lol

AlexSays

kyuubikid213

AlexSays wrote:

Yes, a little magic and boom, you have backwards compatibility.

That is precisely how it happens lol

If you could cut it out with the "lol" and actually read posts, you'd see that that isn't what he said at all, but whatever. And it is far simpler than you're making it out to be, but, again, whatever.

Edited on by kyuubikid213

I'm on YouTube.

I pro...

AlexSays

kyuubikid213 wrote:

AlexSays wrote:

I didn't read the entire books posted above...

I'm not surprised.

I wouldn't be either given the authors lol

AlexSays

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.