Forums

Topic: GamePad Rainbow Marks - Anyone else out there?

Posts 1 to 8 of 8

EJtheK

Hey gang,

I hope you are all having a blast with your new Wii Us! I'm sorry to anyone with problems (I've heard about quite a few issues at this point). I have a problem I wanted to see if I'm alone in or not...

Did anyone else get a GamePad with a damaged screen? Mine has three very large and permanent rainbow marks that look like a screen does when you press your thumb into an LCD. Does anyone else have this (either extreme or slight)?

I'm trying to decide what to do because Nintendo said they can't cover 'damage' under the 90 day warranty of the GamePad even if it arrived that way. However, they said they'd make an exception in my case since I called so quickly and set up a free repair (not a replacement or advanced replacement, though). Best Buy (where I bought it) agrees this sucks and is willing to replace the whole console, but they have no idea when more will come back in stock.

Anyone else?

Thanks! And, have fun!

EJtheK

theblackdragon

a 'repair' in their case may be due to low stock levels worldwide — they've probably got a new screen they can pop in there for you, but they might not have the stock available to be able to send you a brand new replacement unit. I'd imagine it'd be quicker to send it away to Nintendo than it would to try and wait to see when Best Buy will get more in stock...

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

EJtheK

@theblackdragon Thanks for the response! I bet you are correct that this is a supply issue. Good thinking. I definitely agree that Nintendo repair may be a lot faster than waiting for supply, and thanks for chiming in with advice. I ended up deciding to do that, until.....

Best Buy to the Rescue (update from just minutes ago):

Best Buy has agreed to an epic solution! When they get a new console in, they will let me swap out just the GamePad (since the rest of my system is not defective) instead of swapping the entire system for a new one (as they originally said they'd have to do). What this does is allows me to play my new Wii U happily now without concern that I'll have to give up all my data/donwnloads/NintendoNetworkID/etc. later. Then they'll send the new console and my original, defective GamePad to Nintendo. Sure, I'll be playing with a damaged screen, but it works, and I'm very anxious to start playing with the rest of the system (which seems to be fine). I'll have to wait for new stock, but I can do so.

Best Buy has certainly earned my business from here on out! They really did a lot for me!

Thanks, all!

EJtheK

Snap

EJtheK wrote:

I'm trying to decide what to do because Nintendo said they can't cover 'damage' under the 90 day warranty of the GamePad even if it arrived that way. However, they said they'd make an exception in my case since I called so quickly and set up a free repair (not a replacement or advanced replacement, though). Best Buy (where I bought it) agrees this sucks and is willing to replace the whole console, but they have no idea when more will come back in stock.

This is pretty concerning to me. Nintendo is only giving 90 days of warranty on the Gamepad and won't cover damage caused by manufacturing? Say wut?

3DS Friend Code: 0344-9291-6736
WiiU Nintendo ID: Snapper

EJtheK

@Snap Yes, it is a bit of a concern. However, I'll explain in better detail since it's not quite as terrible as it sounds.

Apparently, the GamePad is being classified as an accessory as opposed to a console. Therefore, unlike the Wii U unit itself, the GamePad is only issued with a 90 day warranty. That is in fact a bummer (Bummer #1).

Bummer #2: That 90-day warranty will not cover damage. Period. If you drop your GamePad and it breaks, you are out of luck. The 90 day warranty will cover other problems (manufacturing defects, failures, etc.). I made the mistake of describing my screen as 'damaged' in the box as opposed to having a manufacturing 'defect.' Therefore, it was classified as a damaged GamePad. The Nintendo rep (who was VERY nice) said she was sure I didn't cause the damage, but there's no way to know. For all they know, it could be the way the retailed handled the box (they encouraged me to work with the retailer). However, my problem seems to be under the screen, and since I called as soon as I got the system, Nintendo said they'd make an exception for me and reclassify it as a defect as opposed to damage (basically, they decided to believe me). I'm glad they did because I should have said 'defect' from the start since that is in fact what it is ... I don't think this happened at the retail level, and it sure didn't happen at mine ... this happened before it was packed. This exception they made did not qualify me for a replacement or an advanced replacement, but it did qualify me for a repair. That's where I was sitting until Best Buy came to my rescue.

Rest assured (the non-bummer news): NoA was VERY friendly to me, and was willing to do something for me. It took a while, but the Nintendo rep worked hard until she found a way to make sure my GamePad would be fixed. She told me right from the start that she'd work something out despite the troubles with official policy.

Bottom line: NoA was courteous and helpful. I just wasn't super excited to send my GamePad away for 10 days to have it opened up and the screen replaced (this process damaged the hinges on my 3DS when it was sent for repair) when I just spent $350 on the system. I thought a replacement would have been better, and Best Buy came through there.

Do keep in mind though that the pad has a 90 day warranty, and anything that looks like damage will not be covered. If you have damage when you open it, call Nintendo and your retailer IMMEDIATELY!

EJtheK

Snap

Nintendo is generally very good with repairs. I've sent them a lot of machines for repair. WiFi broken in a Wii, several DS Lites due to the hinge cracks, etc. I'm wondering now if I should have purchased the "third party" warranty offering from my retailer. I've done it before and had horrible experiences dealing with the third parties. First party warranty support is generally better overall.

Any ideas on cost of a replacement Gamepad? Sounds like they didn't have any available right now... but would be curious. The Gamepad seems to me to be the biggest point of failure due to the constant usage as a touch screen and a controller.

EJtheK

@Snap I'm glad to hear your repairs have all gone well with Nintendo. I had one go poorly when I sent it to an authorized repair center that NoA had mine sent to. I had to send it back to NoA (the second time was to their headquarters repair center), and they fixed most things pretty well. I'd feel better going back knowing others had good experiences and that mine was a rare occasion. I'd also always ask to send to their HQ as opposed to an authorized center somewhere.

As far as warranty goes... I also turned down the third party warranty I was offered by Best Buy. The warranty would have been $80 for 2 years, which didn't feel right to spend. I'm not sure what good options are out there. At Best Buy, you can change your mind for around a month (I think) and buy the policy. I'm not sure how worth it it is ... it all comes down to price ... so onto that ...

I wish I knew the cost of the GamePad. Actually, Nintendo offered to sell me another (which they prefaced by apologizing for even saying it was an option since this obviously wasn't my fault), but I turned it down so quickly we didn't get to price. I wish we had so that I'd know. However, I heard from an employee at Best Buy that seemed to know what he was talking about that they are $100+ to replace with Nintendo.

EJtheK

Snap

Around $100 seems about right, given the touch screen and the controller functions and a battery. Since it's not actually processing anything, I'd pay $100 for a replacement.

I happen to live in the same state as Nintendo HQ so my turn around times have been lightning fast. I even once sent them a GBA SP with a faulty battery cover that turned the machine off randomly. Good luck with your repair!

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.