Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 9,761 to 9,780 of 11,914

NEStalgia

@Ralizah You sound like a Sony service rep. "Oh, it's just a dirty fan"

Then why were they shipping filthy fans from the factory to begin with so they sounded like that out of the box? And where are the instructions to open the console and clean the factory-filth from the fans?

The fan is loud because the fan design is loud. And a "dirty" fan isn't magically loud. A "dirty" fan is loud because it's moving less air, and thus the machine needs to increase the RPMs toward the max because the thermal sensors detect the higher temps on the device it's cooling because the temp rises more due to reduced airflow.

But if the fan is running at max because the normal operation demands it for cooling.....then that's just the fan noise.

Your dislike for Western AAA games is showing.....of course the fan isn't going to rev up when you're playing UGG.

NEStalgia

Grumblevolcano

@BlueOcean Xbox E3 2019 video, 1:03:26 - 1:05:10 is the Flight Sim trailer with 1:05:05 being where XB1 is shown.

Like Gears Tactics, it's a PC game being ported to XB1 with Series X probably getting some smart delivery version.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ralizah

@NEStalgia Yes, your PS4 fans are loud because the dirt that's probably trapped inside it is reducing the airflow.

Mine doesn't rev up when playing Detroit: Become Human, Horizon Zero Dawn, or the occasional Ubisoft AAA game, either. Moreover, when people have come to me and complained about their PS4 being loud, I've directed them to youtube videos showing how to clean the thing out. Invariably, when they do, they talk about how quiet the system is afterward.

Of course, there's the possibility that your environment doesn't facilitate proper venting, but I'd assume you'd be savvy enough not to stick your PS4 in a drawer or something.

Then again, you talk about your DS4 like the plastic melted off of it or something, and mine still looks new, so maybe your console is a Chinese bootleg of the real thing.

And I'll have you know I played UDG on a Vita like a proper weeb.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

NEStalgia

@Ralizah I have 3 OG "Eraser" models, and 2 Pros in the house. They were all equally loud out of the box, albeit one Eraser, bought barely used, preowned, was actually quieter, slightly..... Also, my PS3 Phat was nearly as loud, and, yes, my X360 Jasper. PS2 Slim and X360 Elite were substantially quieter. I can't speak for PS4 Slim, as I have not owned one, but I would be it's much quieter than either The Eraser or Pro.

By your logic all 5 units shipped from Sony with filthy fans, as did Blue's, Octane's and Zuljaras'. Sony may want to rethink the Foxconn contract if so.

But it's just Sony's standard design. Narrow, small as possible cabinets with small diameter high RPM fans. X1X and 360 Elite solved that problem with top mounted large diameter fans. Sony slim consoles seem to get around that problem by just using such significant die shrinks it generates much less heat by the revision.

I'd be more inclined to think the launch batch had improperly applied thermal paste than that they shipped from the factory with fan vanes covered in filth. But that doesn't explain Pro. Buy a pro and return your seat to the upright position.

Mine also turned itself on and ran for months on end, unknown to me, numerous times before I replaced it with the pro.

LOL, anything Vita is always proper weeb.....always...

NEStalgia

Banjo-

@Grumblevolcano That's a game card from 2019. The Xbox One version is no longer planned so they updated the game card. Flight Simulator is a Series X/Windows exclusive. The Xbox One version never existed and will never exist.

@Ralizah it could be dust or faulty thermal paste because it's known that Sony uses cheap thermal paste but even for removing the dust I'd have to open the unit. I have tried using a hoover on the vents and it didn't solve anything so it's not as easy as you are suggesting, you're talking as if it was a piece of furniture that I have to clean. It's not a common issue that happens to all consoles either as I have used my other consoles much more and they're older (Wii U) and the dust has never caused a noise or fan problem. Dust comes in and comes out eventually but PS4 has this problem whether it's the cheap thermal paste or dust getting stuck.

Banjo-

Zuljaras

In terms of fan noise the latest PS4 Pro is the least noisy of all PRO models. (the one after RDR2 came out). They put more copper on the heatsink so it disperse the heat quicker than the other revisions.

But I think that the best PS4 in terms of heat/noise is the Slim. (never owned one but I only hear from people how dead silent it is).

Still nothing can beat the Xbox One X in terms of cooling with its vapor chamber. That whole thing is pure copper ... mmm.

Ninfan

was looking at someone playing the new BATTLETOADS game, does'nt look great, pity was looking forward to it.

Ninfan

Anti-Matter

@Ninfan
Why don't you play versus CPU if you couldn't find someone playing online rather than complaining the trivial things ?

Anti-Matter

Ninfan

@Anti-Matter i do not mean online play. I mean the game itself does'nt look great.

Ninfan

Dezzy

BlueOcean wrote:

With this, I agree. Goldeneye basically invented shooters other than Doom-style.

Yeah I agree moreso with Nestalgia here. Goldeneye was big for its time, but Half-life was already halfway through development when Goldeneye released, so you can't really say they copied it in any way.
Half-life did more for the idea of FPS being a continuous adventure than Goldeneye did. It also did more for the idea of expanding on the types of shooting mechanics and the way different enemies are used to introduce challenge.
In terms of shooting mechanics and enemy variety, Goldeneye did almost nothing interesting. It was very simple and conservative.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Octane

@BlueOcean We don't know if they use the same assets. They say they've updated the map with higher quality models. And the little material we have and can directly compare also shows this. I fail to see what the engine has to do with this. So many games are made in the same engine.

Octane

Octane

@NEStalgia Mine was pretty quiet when I got it. I cleaned it about two years ago and that helped a lot as well. So give it a try, it really makes a difference.

Octane

NEStalgia

@Octane ". They say they've updated the map with higher quality models." .....like a remaster....or a Pro/1X patch...... Sony doesn't get a pass for "doing a 505" If they're not going to charge full new game price for their big PS5 showcase, I'll give them a pass for showcasing their new console with an expansion pack priced as an expansion pack. If they pass off an upgraded expansion pack as a full price new launch game, I'll give them a single digit.

If XSeX is >$500 like some of the rumors say, I'll give them both a single digit and price PC parts again....

As for the dust, well, loud out of the box means it's not dust (or means Sony needs a new mfr partner) - but after you mentioned it I did check out how the Pro is set up, and was pleased to see that unlike the OG model it actually does appear to be designed to be opened and cleaned - the cover isn't actually fastened, the top just snaps on and the inside is all shielded, so it's actually designed for user opening.....(OTOH that means they know they have fan buildup issues in their design and instead of fixing it, just made it easy to manually fix...)

That said, looking at the fan design in that thing, what drunken engineering intern did they assign to produce that fan? That's got to be the worst fan design I've ever seen in any application, ever. Instead of small diameter, they went for exceedingly shallow depth. Meaning each vane of the impeller displaces very little air, which means it has a gazillion vanes on it. No wonder the thing has to wind up to such high RPM! That would be the minimal speed to move the same amount of air as a traditional PC 80mm fan running at medium, and a 120mm fan running lower than normal low! And then they put the whole thing horizontal in a ducted exhaust like a GPU, which reduces airflow even further, making the fan work harder. No wonder .02mm of dust devastates cooling ability!

The only other object I've ever seen using a cooling fan with a similar design is a chainsaw. Which is already moving at extremely high RPM for it's primary task, so coupling a shallow fan to the transmission is trivial, and in that application it's probably intentionally shallow so that it doesn't move excessive amount of air and suck in/blow around too much sawdust, and to keep the already huge chassis due to the gas tank and combustion engine from bulging even more, presenting and ergonomic and safety problem.

Why is a PS4 Pro designed like a chainsaw? Maybe you can run it on gas and play on the toilet to compete with WiiU.... It smacks of "our product team designed the chassis. Now design a computer than can fit inside with the following specs."

Looking at PS5, we have the same design team at work.

Meanwhile XBox uses nice, big fans with great depth, few impeller vanes, moving at low RPM. Even the most ardent Sony Pony would have to acknowledge there's one console with a superior thermal design, and it's not a Playstation.

All that being said, my launch console purchase (if there even is one depending on price and availability) may come down to price. If XSeX gets carried away on that sticker price, I may well end up doing PS5 first and wait for the inevitable SeX price drop.

NEStalgia

Dezzy

OK finished my playthrough of Halo 1. Overall still a really great game, although gets really repetitive around the middle. I'd say the first half is brilliant, and the last quarter is brilliant, but that remaining quarter in between is very weak.

The thing that still holds up perfectly is the vehicle based combat. Whenever you get a Ghost or a Banshee it's such a rush. I think that incorporating vehicles so well into a shooter is part of what made it stand out at the time.

Now I'm onto Halo 2, which I remember almost nothing about except the opening scene.

Also, the fact that you can switch between the new and old graphics with a single button press is so damn cool. More remasters should incorporate that.

Edited on by Dezzy

Banjo-

@Octane You're in a loop. Like NEStalgia said and the developer kind of admitted, it's more a remaster of extra content of a PS4 game than a full next-gen game. They didn't have enough time for that so they rushed a spin-off for PS5 launch. That's why it'll be a launch game that was made quickly. If PS5 wasn't launching this year, they either release a full game next year or release this as PS4 DLC. It's that simple.

@Dezzy I wouldn't call Goldeneye 007 a conservative but innovative shooter.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Octane

@BlueOcean Well, maybe, but like, maybe not. We don't know. It's a spin-off sequel to Spider-Man, that's all that matters really. What they would or wouldn't have done if the PS5 didn't come out doesn't really matter.

As long as it's not full price I'm not complaining.

Octane

Anti-Matter

Comparing PS5 and Xbox Series X, i still choose PS5 over than Series X from machine design, color scheme on their game box and the games i can buy from them.

PS5 have elegant White Black machine color + High collar jacket design, blue color game box with White banner strip and Black font (opposite of PS2 banner strip color) and some interesting 1st party for me.

Xbox Series X looks completely Blah in machine design (looks like a fridge), added with very uninteresting Black color (i never like Black color electronic devices), Green color game box and No interesting 1st party from Series X for me, i still don't see any worthiness to consider Series X.

Anti-Matter

Banjo-

Anti-Matter wrote:

@Ninfan Why don't you play versus CPU if you couldn't find someone playing online rather than complaining the trivial things ?

Isn't complaining about the same things what you do on this thread every day?

@NEStalgia I'll check your comments and reply .

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Dezzy

BlueOcean wrote:

@Dezzy I wouldn't call Goldeneye 007 a conservative but innovative shooter.

I was referring purely to the gunplay side of things. Goldeneye was very innovative in terms of level design and incorporating story and mission variety into its levels.
But it did almost nothing for shooting mechanics and the types of challenge around enemy interactions. Pretty much every enemy you fight in the game is just the same enemy but with a variety of skins, and you kill them in the same way with a few obvious exceptions for bosses.

It was really Half-life and then Halo that innovated on that gunplay element of gameplay. They added that new extra dimension to the FPS genre that really didn't exist prior to that.

Edited on by Dezzy

Banjo-

@Dezzy Oh yes, I was thinking of gameplay and not specifically about gunplay. I would love a Goldeneye 007 remake. The guy that is making an unofficial remake got a cease and desist letter, he shouldn't have shown anything until it was done!

Banjo-

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic