Forums

Topic: Xbox One/Xbox 360 Thread

Posts 8,781 to 8,800 of 8,866

redd214

Inside Xbox was a bit lackluster. The camo controller and Idris Elba were the best parts lol!!

But seriously outside of the crossplay in PUBG is a a big deal too, though I have never and probably will never play it, Im glad the walls are slowly breaking down. Hope its a standard next gen!

redd214

DarthNocturnal

AoE 2 DE got a release date at least. I'm just wondering where 4 Houdini'd off to.

Edited on by DarthNocturnal

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

BlueOcean

Devil May Cry 5 available now on Game Pass!

BlueOcean

Dezzy

@DarthNocturnal

Did anyone actual play AOE3? Or that online thing they did?

I honestly haven't heard much about the series since AOE2, which was one of the best games ever made.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

DarthNocturnal

@Dezzy

One of the devs of 3 actually called 3 a “huge mistake“, but if we're allowed to disagree with devs when they think their game is awesome, surely the opposite must hold true?

I didn't get around to playing 3 until the 2010s, but I was kicking myself for passing on it originally. I think it's a worthy entry, and seeing as how 3 is also getting the Definitive Edition treatment, I'd say others agree. Maybe we'll get new campaigns and civs, too.

Never did play Online though. Although it ran for about 3 years, and I've just learned that back in 2017, it was actually revived by in independent group (allowed under a non-commercial license with Microsoft's “Game Content Usage Rules“) running via a server emulator, with all online features enabled. And they're even using publicly-released dev tools to do everything from bug fixing to new content (Romans were apparently announced back in May).

Dezzy

They announced that Gears Tactics will be released on Xbox One as well as PC.

Which is reassuring, given that I thought they'd already said that.

Grumblevolcano

@Dezzy They didn't, until now it was a PC exclusive like Age of Empires.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

XBontendo

@antdickens Hey it's me again. You ever consider bringing back Pure Xbox?

XBox id: owendershot | Switch friend code: I don't remember, these codes are crazy, I'll check later.

XBontendo

Hey, I'll take it

XBox id: owendershot | Switch friend code: I don't remember, these codes are crazy, I'll check later.

ThanosReXXX

@antdickens Wait, WHAT???

Would be nice, though. I'd immediately subscribe, and I know of at least twenty others on here who would as well.

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

NEStalgia

I'd probably ignore Pure XBox as much as I ignore Push Square, but it would be great to see all the same!

@DarthNocturnal 3 really was a huge mistake though.... Nothing about that game was AoE. It was a Warcraft III wannabe, and shredded absolutely everything that made an AoE game AoE.

The problem is really that AoE 3 is basically Banjo Nuts & Bolts on many levels. "Ensemble" was only "Ensemble" in name only at that point, all the real talent, including the founders and original AoE designers, was gone by that point. Rick & Tony Goodman founded Ensemble. Rick was really the mastermind behind AoE in general. During the development of 2 he'd left and founded Stainless Steel, but his template for the game had already been set as a huge influence on the sequel. Brian Sullivan was gone by then as well. Bruce Shelley technically directed both 2 and 3, but without the influence of any of the original creators, and the Sid Meier circle of friends behind the first two, he ended up with a studio that was a shadow of its former self during a time when Microsoft was very into enforcing "the Microsoft Way" of developing things, and that effect was very, very, very visible in all their games of the time (I'd heard first-hand a number of cases of the internal turmoil at that time. Nobody actually wanted to be there, and nobody wanted to make the products they were being told to make, nor the way they were being told to make them. Imagine being a games creative, and basically, having the people behind Power Point telling you how to make it, and the marketing department telling you want you're going to make. Tim Schafer's joke on stage at E3 this year about Excel was only half a joke. That's not how things work when you're bought by Microsoft under Spencer, but that is how things worked in the early oughties.)

AoE III was born from that mess.

Meanwhile Goodman made Empire Earth which was basically the real AoE 3 but never got the credit it deserved because Sierra was the publisher right when they were embroiled in the Vivendi buyout/nightmare, and everything was caught in limbo.

@Dezzy Ooohh Gears Tactics for XBox too? That's awesome!

NEStalgia

Dezzy

Lol I feel bad for the people who had an Xbox-specific site or channel this generation.

I noticed one of the main Xbox youtube channels just switched into general gaming stuff and kinda hoped the audience understood.

Edited on by Dezzy

DarthNocturnal

@NEStalgia

I never played WC3 (or WC anything), so I probably didn't notice. I am interested in checking out WarCarft 3 Reforged though.

I'm not sure the Nuts and Bolts comparison holds up. I get what you meant by “in name only“ where the developer was concerned, but N&B was a complete genre shift. AoE 3 is still very much an RTS.

The background of it's development doesn't change the fact that I enjoyed it. And I enjoyed every “Age of“ game. It's not at Sonic 06/ Boom levels of “we don't speak of that one“, and like I said, it's getting the DE treatment, so it's safe to say I'm not alone in this.

Edited on by DarthNocturnal

ThanosReXXX

@Dezzy Well, there's still Xbox Achievements and Major Nelson, so we're not completely without any Xbox specific sites...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

NEStalgia

@DarthNocturnal WC3 was kind of controversial on its own, honestly. It had a fun campaign. Needed the DLC, but it was clearly built for multiplayer, borrowing from SC's success. WC2 was SO dated it was hard to really follow it up with a direct sequel though so the big tone shift was acceptable. And bad as WC3 may have seemed at the time, the fact that its world got turned into WoW and there's never been a WC4 since is what really became depressing.

AoEIII going from "serious historical documentary style semi-accurate ancient war simulator" RTS to "Lets make comical characters in a cartoon environment and rip out half the evolving civilization idea and just clone Warcraft" was so much a "So, uhmmm, the team over in P&T says the current demographic for this genre has been moving in this direction,. and Blizzard's moved over 8 points YoY since releasing WC3, so we've put together a committee and a conference call so you can identify some tentpoles to move the needle over in that direction." moment.

Technically on it's own it wasn't a bad game. But it wasn't an AoE game, really, it was a focus group product. And it was enough to kill Ensemble. It wasn't a genre shift like N&B, though N&B never claimed to be a direct sequel at all. AoE did claim to be a sequel, but was a semi-genre shift, away from an "AoE game" which at the time was becoming its own sub-genre and into being a Blizzard-esque RTS. I think that's where it really fell flat. AoE didn't just establish a brand, it established an entire subgenre, and was the reigning king of its own genre. Then III came along and wasn't really the same subgenre as its namesake created.

NEStalgia

BruceCM

After nearly 100 hours, I think I'm ready for the final quests in Witcher 3 I'll do a NG+ & skip most non-story stuff for the options that matter sometime ....

SW-4357-9287-0699
Gamertag: BruceCM

BlueOcean

@Dezzy Purexbox.com is a great site, the only gaming site without sensationalism. It was sad when it stopped for two reasons, being one of the few Xbox sites and being one of the best gaming sites. For some reason Nintendo and Sony players spend a lot of their time on the internet while Xbox players just play and use the console party chats.

It's likely that Sony and Microsoft "war" will be much more balanced next generation, that is next year! Perhaps that's when the Xbox brand will be highly popular again like it was last generation and hopefully we'll see something more than Nintendo and Sony on the net.

I love Nintendo Life but it's like a Nintendo overdose and brainwashing sometimes.

Edited on by BlueOcean

BlueOcean

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic