Forums

Topic: Xbox One/Xbox 360 Thread

Posts 8,801 to 8,820 of 8,885

DarthNocturnal

Pure Xbox was nice. Although I think NLife is mostly nice too (with a few warts here and there). Push Square just felt kinda hostile, at least where some articles are concerned.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

BlueOcean

@DarthNocturnal There are some very vocal hostile zealots on Nintendo Life too but I've realised that the majority of the people here are nice. I love that there are some xboxers here too and people than criticise Nintendo sometimes. It's like there is some variety and genuine people.

Push Square is more radical, more like a sect. I started this generation with 3DS and Wii U and I didn't know where to go after Nintendo abandoned Wii U early on, PS4 or Xbox One. I visited both communities and bought both consoles (Sony's first) and I ended up enjoying the Xbox console, controller, games and community much more.

Edited on by BlueOcean

BlueOcean

DarthNocturnal

@BlueOcean

“Zealot“ is a pretty extreme word. Plus I'm not sure if I've seen anyone that intense.

Well, bar maybe in a few article comment sections. But many of those users don't post in the forums.

JoakimZ

I think www.trueachievements.com is a great site for Xbox news, and it also has achievement tracking

JoakimZ

3DS Friend Code: 0259-0335-6096 | Nintendo Network ID: JoakimZ

Anti-Matter

Huh?!
I never knew Pure Xbox was another sibling of this website.
Too bad, it was closed on 2016 when i found the website just now.

My Top 6 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4/Switch (95)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 + All contents (93)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (90)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90)
6. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo 3DS (89)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

ThanosReXXX

@JoakimZ Personally, I prefer https://www.xboxachievements.com/
It is older than True Achievements, has a nice community and they already did the achievement tracking thing way before any other site.

And for an official news source, I just use https://majornelson.com/.

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

JoakimZ

@ThanosReXXX I check both xboxachievements and trueachievements daily, and they’re both great sites for sure. But i prefer TA because I think they have more news articles and are also more up to date. XBA often upload news that I’ve read several days earlier on TA. XBA is also generally slower to upload new achievement lists.

Also, I’m pretty sure that XBA doesn’t have achievement tracking? I can’t find that function on their site, anyhow.

Edited on by JoakimZ

JoakimZ

ThanosReXXX

@JoakimZ Well, what exactly do you mean by tracking, then? There's the forum pages, where people do keep track of achievements, and a friend of mine has always used XboxAchievements to print out achievement lists for games that he owns, so that he knows which ones he still needs to get, so that's also a way of keeping track of them.

As for the latest news: Major Nelson is where it's at. He is mr. Xbox after all, so any and all news concerning Xbox and it's games and events will be on there first, also before the two achievement sites.

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

JoakimZ

@ThanosReXXX TA scans your Xbox profile so you can easily see all your achievement progress along with lots of interesting statistics.
For example I can see that i have completed all achievements in 135 different games; 76 on Xbox One, 57 on Xbox 360, 1 on Windows and 1 on iOS.
I have played a total of 379 Xbox games and unlocked 8020 achievements, which is 61.5% completion. I need to unlock 59 more achievements to reach 62% completion.
And a lot more!

I love that they provide this kind of stuff

JoakimZ

BruceCM

It says something about achievement tracking on my XBox above the latest ones Since I don't particularly bother with them, though...

SW-4357-9287-0699
Gamertag: BruceCM

ThanosReXXX

@JoakimZ Ah, okay. Well, can't argue with personal preference, but to be honest, that's the exact kind of thing that I absolutely DON'T like. I don't want any third party scanning any of my personal data, so wherever possible, I will use any and all means to prevent that.

BlueOcean

@JoakimZ Thanks, I'll check that one. I only got all the achievements in a few games LOL but for news and articles it looks good. By the way, I need just one more achievement in Fable Anniversary Edition which is impossible to get because you need to use Xbox Glass.

BlueOcean

JoakimZ

@ThanosReXXX I doubt they have access to any personal information, just the achievement stuff that is already visible for everyone to see on your Xbox Profile.

JoakimZ

ThanosReXXX

@JoakimZ Well, the info is only visible if you've set that option. Mine is only visible for friends.
So, if you set it to open, they can ping you, get your IP address and all that. And I already hate sites tracking me on internet, but I've got all of that locked down. On a console it's a bit more difficult, though. Unless you use a gated modem or a VPN, but that's a bit too much, even for me.

But besides all that, I don't really care all that much about achievements anyway, so I don't need anyone or anything to track them for me. I recently finally had the time to finish the latest COD campaign, but I only ever play the single player campaign, so I'll never get all the achievements anyway, which would annoy me to no end, if I would start focusing on them.

I'm more of an old-skool gamer. I either go for high scores or finishing the main story, and once the game's story is finished, I've completed the game, no matter what some arbitrary achievement/trophy list tells me.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

redd214

Well trophies/achievements can be turn into credit so not entirely arbitrary imo. I enjoy the game within the game of it. Not as into it as I once was but certainly can add another layer of completion for a game you like and getting money back for it is a nice bonus as well.

Dunno if this was mentioned but MS is having a sale on some disc games on their website. A few pretty solid deals in there for those who prefer physical.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/collections/Xboxgamedea...

redd214

ThanosReXXX

@redd214 Yeah, I've noticed that, and it's a nice development and bonus, but that's kind of a more recent feature of achievements. Before that, it was just an artificial way to extend the longevity of a game. Some achievements were absolutely and completely stupid and completely non-relevant to the game, and some achievements, especially in multiplayer games, can easily be gathered by cheating/cooperating with each other, rather than competing with each other. And to get those, me and my friends often did, because otherwise, some of these achievements were damn near impossible for the average gamer.

And I'm more of a casual gamer anyway, so between work and my private life, I don't really have the time and taste anymore to "get gud". I just want to play and enjoy games whenever I have the time, and not have to worry about some stupid achievement that I missed or for which I have to backtrack/replay an entire game.

One of those examples is dog tags in the original two Gears of Wars games. Once you had missed them, you either had to restart the level, or backtrack. Well, if that's even possible, because sometimes, if you missed one, walking a bit further triggered a cut scene and then you couldn't go back at all.

DarthNocturnal

Video games have always had “stretch goals“ for content. Achievements just kinda made for a unified method of tracking them across all your games on a given platform.

Of course, some games had their own achievement systems. Smash from Melee onwards and Kirby's Air Ride come to mind.

ThanosReXXX

@DarthNocturnal I feel I have to start out with adding that my point of view is of course that of an older, pre-online gamer (started gaming in the 70's and 80's in arcades), so all I'm used to for the largest part of my gaming life, is beating high scores (or trying to) and other kinds of natural incentives, such as simply wanting to beat/finish a level. I never needed to receive any kind of virtual pat on the back for that, other than seeing my initials on the high score list...
(and hoping they weren't erased too soon after having accomplished that)

Achievements are bolted on, often not related to main story lines in games (which to me makes quite a few of them way too distractive), so while they might add to games in some ways, they often also use these kinds of tactics to artificially make games last longer than they actually do, while adding nothing essential or intrinsic to these games, with which I mean to say that without these achievements, the games should still be entertaining enough on their own, because if the largest part of the entertainment value purely comes from these achievements/trophies, then we should probably come to the inescapable conclusion that these games weren't actually all that good to begin with, if they need those kinds of crutches to hold them up...

Back in the day, high score improvements were a thing that you did of your own volition, and the only means that the developers of the games had to entice you to keep playing, was making the game that good or that much fun to play, so you would choose to do so. Achievements are an initiative from the other side, not from the gamer himself, so it's an artificial lure to keep you attached to a game for longer than you might normally do. (edit: once you've finished a game's main story line/campaign)

In all fairness to the system, it sometimes actually does add great value to a game, if the achievements actually mean something, but if (like in the Xbox 360 days) I only have to start up a game for 100 times in a row to get a special achievement (Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway), then that's just developers grasping at straws, far as I'm concerned, because it has nothing whatsoever to do with the game and/or its storyline.

And I could probably list hundreds if not more equally stupid or even more insane "achievements", that don't actually make me feel like I've achieved anything substantial in any kind of way, other than the achievement of falling for the developer's cheap shenanigans...

So yeah, I can agree with luring players in with good gameplay which might very possibly persuade them to keep playing the game and beating and keep on improving that high score, but achievements have kinda taken that, and ran away with it, often in not all too coherent and/or relevant manners. I can understand that it adds to the games for some, but for me, there's no incentive to try and get all of them in certain games, especially the ones with big multiplayer components, also because I simply don't have enough friends that still play these games.

To clarify: due to my MASSIVE back log, spread across multiple consoles, and my prevalent tendency to mostly buy games after they've become a bit cheaper, I'm far behind any of them were owning recent titles is concerned, so by the time I buy these games, they've probably already played through them multiple times, and don't really feel like doing that again, even for me. And I really can't blame 'em, because I probably wouldn't want to either.

But of course, that's just my personal sentiment, so if others do like achievements or trophies, then that's perfectly fine. Personally, I just can't help seeing right through what they really are, and that breaks the illusion for me. So, usually I just ignore them, and only ever see them pop up during gameplay, but I don't go out hunting for them, or checking which ones I already have or haven't got yet.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

DarthNocturnal

In the end, it's all about just doing what you personally find fun. Which is the way it's always been, really. I'm just saying that pointless/ annoying achievements pre-date achievement systems. Like beating WarMECH in Final Fantasy I; aside from any XP and gil, there was no reason to do it, other then to say “I did it“.

I have plenty of games where I haven't gotten every achievement. The few I have were games I really enjoyed that felt like they had achievements I could actually accomplish (that didn't annoy me). Starting a game 100 times is one I definitely wouldn't bother with (even if I did enjoy the game).

Edited on by DarthNocturnal

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic