Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 541 to 560 of 11,914

Drobotic

It's funny how Microsoft started blocking comments due to the things people were saying.Even Nintendo doesn't block comments due to haters.

Currently playing:A little bit of everything :D
Fan of:Adventure Time,The Legend of Korra,The Amazing World of Gumball,Regular Show,Futurama,and gaming on handhelds,consoles,and the PC.

3DS Friend Code: 1332-8187-4581 | Nintendo Network ID: PSICadet

DGGames

Drobotic wrote:

It's funny how Microsoft started blocking comments due to the things people were saying.Even Nintendo doesn't block comments due to haters.

Reminds me of how sony was banning people from their forums and communities and threatening to ban from PSN when they stole Other OS and people were rightfully angry and asking them to bring it back.

Game developer and gamer.

Phatosaurus

DGGames wrote:

Midnight3DS wrote:

@DGGames "That's actually pretty awesome news from a devs point of view. If the machine requires an Internet connection, then that's yet another resource you can use in your game."

Woopty doo for them. It's bad for consumers. The bottom line is a pile more restrictions, requirements and annoyances for the consumer. This is a ridiculously backwards mindset.

Since it looks like it went over your head I will put it in simpler terms: Requiring an internet connection allows games that are simply not possible on other systems since there is no risk of your potential customers not having what your game requires. Is the same reason why not all games use MotionPlus, or why PS Move failed so badly (well one of the many reasons why it failed so badly).

Also with the latest piece of news, it is now confirmed both XBOX ONE and PS4 use the same kind of anti-used games DRM, which explains why EA did away with their online pass initiative. So it is up to the devs on both XBOX ONE and PS4 to have or not to have anti-used games DRM, and not possible at all on Nintendo's platform.

MotionPlus, PS Move and even Kinect 1.0 can all significantly add to and improve the games they're used in.
Outside of multiplayer games, how does having an internet connection add to the game in any significant way?
Don't give me that unfounded "power of the cloud" nonsense.

3DS: 3840-6043-8686
WiiU: Phatosaurus

Drobotic

DGGames wrote:

Drobotic wrote:

Reminds me of how sony was banning people from their forums and communities and threatening to ban from PSN when they stole Other OS and people were rightfully angry and asking them to bring it back.

The Microsoft comment situation is different.The system hasn't even come out yet and people are already hating it.

Currently playing:A little bit of everything :D
Fan of:Adventure Time,The Legend of Korra,The Amazing World of Gumball,Regular Show,Futurama,and gaming on handhelds,consoles,and the PC.

3DS Friend Code: 1332-8187-4581 | Nintendo Network ID: PSICadet

DGGames

Phatosaurus wrote:

DGGames wrote:

Midnight3DS wrote:

@DGGames "That's actually pretty awesome news from a devs point of view. If the machine requires an Internet connection, then that's yet another resource you can use in your game."

Woopty doo for them. It's bad for consumers. The bottom line is a pile more restrictions, requirements and annoyances for the consumer. This is a ridiculously backwards mindset.

Since it looks like it went over your head I will put it in simpler terms: Requiring an internet connection allows games that are simply not possible on other systems since there is no risk of your potential customers not having what your game requires. Is the same reason why not all games use MotionPlus, or why PS Move failed so badly (well one of the many reasons why it failed so badly).

Also with the latest piece of news, it is now confirmed both XBOX ONE and PS4 use the same kind of anti-used games DRM, which explains why EA did away with their online pass initiative. So it is up to the devs on both XBOX ONE and PS4 to have or not to have anti-used games DRM, and not possible at all on Nintendo's platform.

MotionPlus, PS Move and even Kinect 1.0 can all significantly add to and improve the games they're used in.
Outside of multiplayer games, how does having an internet connection add to the game in any significant way?
Don't give me that unfounded "power of the cloud" nonsense.

Power of the Cloud is, in fact, a way to do that. You can have games save directly to SkyDrive and connect with their companions or counterparts on PCs, Laptops, Tablets and Phones. You can have content on the cloud that you have direct access to without waiting for a download, you can have asynchronous online multiplayer, etc. without risking half of the console's installed base not being able to experience them.

And that's just what I can think of, doesn't mean is the only thing possible.

Jaz007

DGGames wrote:

Midnight3DS wrote:

The userbase takes a hit and It would be the unusable portion of the userbase. It just means less consoles will be out there, there won't be anymore to sell to line you say. Microsoft is just getting rid of that porition of the market instead of the developer. It doesn't do anything for devs.
Destiney doensnt need a console that requires an Internet connection and it's the type of game you speak of.

Jaz007

DGGames

Wrong. It does mean devs can use it. Games can be made under the assumption that the user does or will have an internet connection which is something you can't do on other consoles. From a developer or publisher's point of view, 100% of the XBOX ONE users have an internet connection, therefore requiring an internet connection in your game doesn't negatively impact your game's chances of doing well.

It wouldn't surprise me if sony came out and announced something similar later on. I wouldn't put it past sony to try to be sneaky about it. That way they guarantee multiplat games are possible without the PS4 version lacking functionality or cloud content

Jaz007

Destiney doesn't need a required Internet connection from a console and it needs an Internet connection so devs will already make these games. If there are 4,000,000 Xbox One users and 100% of them have an Internet connection the dev will have 4,000,000 to sell to. If Xbox One didn't have an Internet connection and had 4,000,000 users with internet and there were 1,000,000 more people who don't have Internet who bought Xbox One. There are 5,000,000 total users and the dev will able to sell his game to only 80% of the userbase, but it will still the same amount of people and it won't affect he sales the dev gets. Plus, of another dev makes a game that doesn't need the internet, he will only 4,000,000 to sell to instead of 5,000,000 to sell to because the console requires an internet connection. A requirement that makes 100% of the userbaser possible customers doesn't matter if it only makes less of an overall userbase.

Edited on by Jaz007

Jaz007

Midnight3DS

DGGames wrote:

Midnight3DS wrote:

You said that's awesome news from a dev's point of view if the machine requires an internet connection.. again. Woopty doo it's awesome from a dev's perspective. if the machine requires an internet connection, it's not awesome from a consumer's view. the machine requiring an internet connection part. A requirment of the user. And again, a pile more restrictions, requirements, and annoyances to the customer from Xbox One. More hoops, and more limitations for the consumer. That's not even debateable. It's a matter of you caring about it or not, and accepting, or not accepting it.

Instead of attempting to make it 'simpler', just actually read what you write next time.

Edited on by Midnight3DS

3DS Friend Code: 5129-0855-7142 ID = Midnight

AC:NL Mayor Jambo, town of Hamneggs

TysonOfTime

"If you rent games, XBOX one is not for you.
If you trade games with your friends , XBOX one is not for you.
If you don't have a good connection, XBOX one is not for you.
And if you don't want to support these kind of policies and restrictions
because you love games and you know the impact that this will have to
the future of gaming, then XBOX one is definitely not for you."

I feel this is quite an accurate quote.

Midnight3DS wrote:

No comment needed here...

"Microsoft has been discovered using fake accounts to hype up the Xbox One and down vote negative postings about the disaster of a game console."

http://furiousfanboys.com/2013/06/microsoft-caught-astroturfi...

I... Wha... What...?
D:

You don't die until you're dead!

3DS Friend Code: 4854-6436-0663 | Nintendo Network ID: TysonOfTime

DreamyViridi

Midnight3DS wrote:

No comment needed here...

"Microsoft has been discovered using fake accounts to hype up the Xbox One and down vote negative postings about the disaster of a game console."

http://furiousfanboys.com/2013/06/microsoft-caught-astroturfi...

Wow. Once that news spreads, Microsoft might just get eaten alive!

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

Midnight3DS

Yeah, ethics aside, their mistake was getting busted. A huge potential backfire, shooting themselves in the foot yet again. People will then be much more suspicious of forum 'shills'. And that PR... oy.

Midnight3DS

Xbox One LocoCycle launch trailer. Not impressive to look at. Maybe it's fun.

DGGames

Jaz007 wrote:

Destiney doesn't need a required Internet connection from a console and it needs an Internet connection so devs will already make these games. If there are 4,000,000 Xbox One users and 100% of them have an Internet connection the dev will have 4,000,000 to sell to. If Xbox One didn't have an Internet connection and had 4,000,000 users with internet and there were 1,000,000 more people who don't have Internet who bought Xbox One. There are 5,000,000 total users and the dev will able to sell his game to only 80% of the userbase, but it will still the same amount of people and it won't affect he sales the dev gets. Plus, of another dev makes a game that doesn't need the internet, he will only 4,000,000 to sell to instead of 5,000,000 to sell to because the console requires an internet connection. A requirement that makes 100% of the userbaser possible customers doesn't matter if it only makes less of an overall userbase.

It does matter, when that dev can tell the publisher their game can be fully enjoyed by 100% of the userbase instead of only 80% because that means that when the userbase grows, so does their potential customers.

Also people are blowing this completely out of proportion. You need to log in, once, for less than a minute, every 24 hours. If you are using these forums you are already online for far longer than that. In fact, every single idiot complaining about this already spends far more time online than the XBOX ONE requires to authenticate.

DGGames

TysonOfTime wrote:

"If you rent games, XBOX ONE and PS4 are not for you.
If you trade games with your friends , XBOX ONE and PS4 are not for you.
If you don't have a good connection, XBOX ONE, PS4 and Wii U are for you. They all survive if you have any internet connection at all.
And if you don't want to support these kind of policies and restrictions
because you love games and you know the impact that this will have to
the future of gaming, then you are probably an idiot who doesn't really understand anything announced so far and are just complaining and crying over nothing."

I feel this is quite an accurate quote.

There, corrected it for you. Now is far more accurate.

the_shpydar

Dude, you're defending MS's decisions so hard, i'm half convinced you work for them.
Can you not just accept the fact that MS has managed to upset a lot of people with the directions they are choosing to take?

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

MAB

Looks like we have ourselves a Xbone shill defence unit sent on a operation forum salvo mission

MAB

DGGames

Well people are being really stupid so it doesn't really matter.

Used games DRM? already confirmed to be just like the PS4: up to the publishers, not mandatory.
Online connection? Only required for a second once every 24 hours. Every single person that has complained about it has access to an internet connection far more regularly than that
Privacy concerns? People using google services that violate their privacy in much worst ways (since google actually sells their information) and keep complaining after it was confirmed that it is completely optional as Kinect can be turned off completely, the voice commands disabled and sending info to Microsoft is optional and disabled by default.

So again, people being stupid hypocrites...

PS: No I am not a Microsoft employee... I wish though, being paid for pointing out stupid nonsense like that? pretty easy job... I am however a Nintendo partner (going to E3 and the Nintendo exclusive events too is pretty cool , so if you want to call me biased towards a company, that's probably Nintendo

Edited on by DGGames

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic