Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 3,381 to 3,400 of 11,914

Grumblevolcano

Halo 3 has appeared on the Microsoft PC store.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Peek-a-boo

Good news for those who don’t like single player games on Xbox ~ https://www.mcvuk.com/business/mcvs-bumper-e3-issue-is-out-fe...

Matt Booty wrote:

”There will always be single-player games with maybe 20 to 30 hours of gameplay, we love those kinds of games and there’s a place for those, but it’s also certainly the case with the focus on watching, streaming, broadcast and esports that it’s really important to think about the longevity of a game," Booty explains.

Lovely jubbly!

They just make it really hard to feel enthusiastic about their present situation and the foreseeable future, given that Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2 had a fairly ho-hum reception at launch.

In a year when we have had the likes of Breath of the Wild, Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War, why would you openly say that you’re doubling down on chasing after the current GaaS trend?

Peek-a-boo

redd214

Xbox deals starting June 7th for e3! Some good prices in here.

$199 for 500GB Xbox One S console

$249 for 1TB Xbox One S bundles

$449 for Xbox One X console – the first time it’s ever been discounted

Up to 75% off select games including first-time discounts on newly released titles such as Monster Hunter: World, Sea of Thieves and PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds
One month of Xbox Live Gold and/or Xbox Game Pass for $1

$10 off controllers

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/06/04/e3-sale/

Edited on by redd214

redd214

NEStalgia

@Angelic_Lapras_King 4k terrifies me in its HT implications. I imagine it'll be 15+ years before I actually see 4k even if I buy a 4k display. for people that just have a TV and plug a console into it its easy. But if you have a receiver (a very expensive receiver that can live a very long time, and is not easily replaced or reconfigured in the system) that doesn't pass through 4k, plus cables that are older, plus multiple switches and repeaters....audio breakout modules, and 100% of that has to be replaced?! That ain't happening here. Worse, take a look at a lot of the repeaters/switches that say they support 4k. They actually support 4k @ 30Hz....I.E. 30fps locked. Not 60fps. And the ones that do 60fps are the $300 boutique versions of $40 parts. I'll keep my 1080 for ages for gaming at least, thankyou!

Yeah, instead of an 8TB HD, I went with a 2TB SSHD for the load speed boosts when reloading the same area/game. Then I'll get a 4TB external drive to keep as a "extended library backup" type thing. 6TB external should tide me over for "things I want to have without downloading/reinstalling" and keep the rest in the cloud.

I actually bought Elder Scrolls Online.....this console makes me do funny things. (Good promo, last day, pre-order Summerset for $40 and get Tamriel Unlimited + Morrowind expansion free.) I don't like MMOs but this one seemed kind of interesting for fans of the solo games. I hope I don't regret the "needs 3 players" quests.

@Peek-a-boo I just don't get the modern world. Watching, streaming, broadcast. Why... I mean just why? Why does everybody think they're a celebrity worth broadcasting, and why do people enjoy sitting and watching OTHER people play video games? Remember the kid that would hog the NES back in the day and make you watch him have fun and called it "we're playing games together" When did that become the desired outcome the industry builds around?!

I don't think that's just MS though. That's really the whole industry as created by MS and EA. But to be fair, it was MS and EA that wanted to push the GaaS trend to begin with....suits their business trajectory.

Sorry thanos, but thank goodness for Sony and Ninty to save us from the perversions of MS and EA. One step forward, two steps back. It's a great console. Just not for their highlighted games.

I can't help but think though that their chasing after GaaS has less to do with not believing in the sales success of single player games (I mean they ARE watching the competition are they not?) And more to do with the fact that GaaS games can be built fast and cheap and fixed on the fly, without the upfront time investment a good solo game requires when they have neither time, nor a complete studio with which to make one.

Either that or the bubble they live in has an even harder shell than the one over Nintendo HQ. I think part of their aim is also to turn the XBO segment into a kind of Facebook/Twitter of gaming and the social bubble that encompasses....their investment probably banks on the "socialness" of gaming while that's a marketable investment industry.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@redd214 Woot! Been waiting for that kind of sale on games! Thanks! (Still makes me sad that Sony has WAAAAY more sales on games than MS Every weeks it's a new blowout. )

I'm still hoping for a new Elite controller....shame that won't be on the sale.

@Peek-a-boo btw, it's not just MS going whole hog on the multiplayer thing. Notice since Switch came out most of the big Nintendo games short of Odyssey and BotW have been online? Kart 8, ARMS, Splatoon, Mario Tennis Aces, Smash, Pokken.....it's all online all the time! I don't mind coop actually. But competitive sucks....and all this is competitive. I tend to enjoy the Nintendo ones somewhat....but other than that, I just can't stand competitive.

NEStalgia

redd214

@NEStalgia can only speak for myself but I do watch let's plays for a couple reasons. 1 to see if I will actually like a game without having to spend money on it. If it's a game I'm on the fence about its much better to just watch it be played and decide vs reading a review on a website imo. 2 because some are actually entertaining. My kids and I watch some G rated channels and it's fun. We don't watch normal TV so its entertainment. Also some games are on systems that they're no chance I will get so neat to see them be played.

Just different people having different interests. I'm sure there are millions of people who have a similar view of games as a whole. And streaming, broadcasting, etc was popularized before this generation so can't really blame EA and Ms for it. Sure it's at a different level now but it's not like they created it.

EDIT: You must've replied to my earlier comment as I was typing this one. You're welcome, for sure some good savings in there, waiting on Sony as well!

Edited on by redd214

redd214

ThanosReXXX

@redd214 Well. I didn't mean to step on any toes, but that is simply how it comes across to me. It's not a big list, but a decent list and for all intents and purposes, there should be something there for everyone, provided you already have the console. If people don't, then I can understand, like how it was for you, that you didn't want to have a console for just one or two games.

Besides the 2018 and upcoming games we now listed, I also posted this one earlier:
https://gematsu.com/exclusives/xbox-one
You can use filters to display only indies, AAA, or platform/full exclusives.

In that list as well, there's a little something for everyone, unless for some reason, people don't like indies...

For me personally, it's kind of weird that people say that the Xbox One has nothing to offer, but subsequently claim that the PS4 seems to have it in spades. But with some people being unable to find something in the Xbox One's current and upcoming catalog, the same could be true concerning the PS4's catalog, because apparently, the number of available games isn't the most important factor.

Then again: maybe it's just me. I'm also not a difficult eater, so perhaps my broader/more accepting appetite in gaming reflects that...

I've found more than enough in all these lists to interest me, and I'm pretty sure that I'm going to enjoy Microsoft's E3 presentation.

As for those deals: hope you aren't offended, but I couldn't help but having to grin a bit because of you mentioning those, considering you sold yours...

The 1TB bundle seems like a good deal, though. Depending on what's in it. I got mine last December for €278 ($325) with Forza Horizon 3 + Hot Wheels expansion, plus a month of Game Pass and COD WW2 and a vertical stand.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

redd214

@ThanosReXXX had a long post typed up but figured no point in repeating myself again but thanks for replying.

And there's no chance you could offend me man, we don't even know one another🙂

redd214

ThanosReXXX

@redd214 Haha, thanks. I still feel I have to add that sometimes, since experience over the years of being online hasn't always proven that to be true, unfortunately. Some people go into complete rage mode if you don't add a smiley or a "no offense" type of disclaimer...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

redd214

@ThanosReXXX yeah trust me I've seen the internet rage all the time. Sometimes hard to express a range of emotions with just words. Emojis are the second best thing to happen to the internet behind online food ordering lol. You going to bump up to the X since it'll be on sale?

redd214

NEStalgia

@redd214 I mean, as an ardent fan of Treehouse at E3, I can get watching portions of play to decide if you want a game....that's a little different... But I don't think that's where the whole "we make games with the consideration of how people sit and watch other people play games like it's entertainment" comes from. Nor do I get "social gaming." It feels like an extension of middle school to me. "OMG, Tara, you have to check this out, my BFF or totally not BFF or the BFF of my BFF who is TOTALLY like my BBFFF is playing this TOTALLY awesome game so I'm playing it to so you should play it too because we're all playing it and look a this pony I made from left over ammo clips at the strip club, isn't it, like, totes adorbs!?! OMG I should like totally post that on my instagram...then everyone should try making ammo clip ponies and we'll all swap save files!!!!"

NEStalgia

redd214

@NEStalgia not gonna lie I stopped reading after OMG Tara. I'm sure you're point was awesome though 🤣

redd214

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX I think the issue a lot of people have with the games list for XBox is most of them are clearly not "big budget" games, but also lack the unique charm that Nintendo's clearly "not big budget" games have. Additionally the majority of them are online focused, multiplayer oriented, and/or small/indie/unpolished experiences. Ignoring games common to both consoles, the exclusive ones, MS skews heavily toward online/social-gaming oriented games. Almost entirely so after that first batch with Ryse/Quantum etc. Even Crackdown is online focused. I bet Fable is too. While Sony's exclusives are almost 100% solo endeavors with no multiplayer in sight. I think you'll find most people on a Nintendo or Sony forum are all about solo play and will automatically discount multiplayer anything. I'm more or less part of that group, myself. Heck, the move away from PC for me was both my hardware woes, the lack of physical games, AND the move toward multiplayer everything.

So for me, though I may play some online games, "online multiplayer game" is the same to me as saying "not actually a game." I realize I'm saying that as someone that a few posts up said I just bought Elder Scrolls Online, and is preordering Mario Tennis..........I make exceptions Rarely. And I like coop (which is the point of ESO...usually two consoles IN THE SAME ROOM playing...) PvE I can find interesting. PvP....Nintendo games is kind of it for me.

Other's may not specifically verbalize that in the Sony vs. MS war, but I think that's what many mean. MS has a handful of samey/generic-ey multiplayer games which will be effectively "not actually games", or, might as well be Candy Crush, to the bulk of the Sony/Ninty type gamers.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@redd214 Well, eventually I'll get the X, but currently, money's tight, and I've already broken my own "one console a year" rule, by not only buying the One S, but also pre-ordering the NES Mini. And come to think of it, I also did that last year, with the Wii U (yeah, LATE adopter... ) and the SNES Mini.

Some stuff is going on right now, which might give me the opportunity to set aside some more money, but nothing is certain yet, so I have to exercise a little patience and see what happens, so fingers crossed...

@NEStalgia Well, I'm really not that much of an online gamer either, and I have found MORE than enough titles to fulfill my needs, so that sounds more like perception mixed with using that statement of "who the fuzz is this guy" at Microsoft. (never heard of him before)

Literally the ONLY game that I play online, with my friends, is Destiny 2. Other than that, I play ALL of my current Xbox One titles all by my lovely self, so regardless of what Microsoft's focus is or will be, I'm not buying into it, and I can STILL enjoy these games just fine...

redd214

@ThanosReXXX well since the X is an upgrade its not technically getting a new console lol. Just do it!! 😉

Just kidding man I figure you'll get one when the time is right.

redd214

CanisWolfred

ThanosReXXX wrote:

Then again: maybe it's just me. I'm also not a difficult eater, so perhaps my broader/more accepting appetite in gaming reflects that...

"Broad tastes" =/= "More accepting" tastes, just FYI. That's all I was trying to get at, personally. I have enough games that I don't feel the need to settle for anything that doesn't scream "must buy" to me for various reasons. I don't own an Xbox One because I feel that there aren't enough games that meet that standard. They're getting closer, though, which is why I put that list together. I've been keeping a tally of Xbox One games that peaked my interest. It's mostly older titles and if I ever get one, I'll want it to be at least as cheap as the 3DS, because it's not gonna see a whole lot of use. But as long as I'm having fun, it wouldn't be so bad. Basically...I hope they don't screw up Crackdown 3 and The Last Night. Once I know there are 10 or so that I want, I might start shopping around. If not...at least those 8 will be a treat whenever I finally do get an Xbox One towards the very end of its life cycle.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

ThanosReXXX

@redd214 Bit of an expensive "update", then...
So, it's going to be about the time AND the price.

@CanisWolfred I hear you, and that sounds fair enough. I was never in it to sell the console to people, though. Just wanted to express and share my own enjoyment of it and my personal views on the console's catalog, which for me actually WAS sufficient to warrant a purchase.

Oh, and to me, having a broad taste isn't the same as a more accepting taste. To me, broad taste represents liking a lot of genres, whereas a more accepting taste represents being happy/content with what's on offer instead of constantly looking at what is lacking.

The glass half full view, so to speak. People always tend to look at what they aren't getting, which is actually unnatural and highly counter-productive, if you take a minute to sit down and think about it...

What you aren't getting isn't even tangible, so for all intents and purposes, it is useless to bemoan. And personally, having looked at what I actually DID get, I was more than happy with it. Of course, other factors also came into play: what consoles do my friends own, still having an active Xbox Live Gold subscription, and last but not least, getting a good deal on a console bundle.

But I can understand it's not for everyone. And back when I was in the store to buy it, I even contemplated getting a Switch instead, but that console alone was more expensive than the entire Xbox One S 1TB bundle, including the free games, so the Xbox One S it was...

Agreed on Crackdown 3. The initial videos and the ideas looked and sounded good, but an actually complete game is a totally different situation, compared to a short video, whether or not that's made with the in-game engine or not, so here's hoping that this E3 is going to shed some more light on that.

Angelic_Lapras_King

Wonder if they'll share any more news in regards to backwards compatibility. At E3 last year, OG XBox support got a good reaction, but I wonder what could be left? A showcase reveal of upcoming titles? Achievement support added for OG XBox somehow? Put the online back in for OG XBox but only for XBONE even?

Angelic_Lapras_King

Dezzy

@Angelic_Lapras_King

There are no remaining big improvements to it. Both previous xbox consoles accounted for. They just need to do more of the missing games.
I'm still waiting for Tales of Vesperia, which given that it's fairly unique for an Xbox exclusive, you'd think they'd have done it already.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic