Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 2,241 to 2,260 of 11,914

Shinion

@Grumblevolcano: I give it a year tops before these scumbag companies mess up what should have been an industry standard a decade ago. I'm thinking something like-

"Experience the true next gen shooter, Battlefield 7/Call of Duty 100000, pre-order now to get exclusive access to cross system multiplayer, or pay £10 for the 'Cross System Online Pass' if you buy it pre-owned YOU POS SLIME HOW DARE YOU BUY GAMES SECOND HAND YOU MONSTER!"

Anyone remember Online Passes? That's why I'm going to take my usual extremely pessimistic attitude to this, wouldn't be surprised at all if they (at least some of the companies) try to make people pay for this. On top of our online subscription of course. Then Warner Bros will come in and find a way to gate-off single player content somehow, because that's a thing they did with the previous Online Passes.

But yeah seriously the fact that the PS3/Xbox 360 came and went without this is farcical, and of course it's only Nintendo who are behind the times. Of course it is.

Edited on by Shinion

Shinion

DefHalan

@TheLastLugia: If Rocket League came to Wii U then it would probably br cross-platform multiplayer. I don't see why they would separate a single console that way. We will see if cross-platform multiplayer actually becomes a thing or if it is only certain games that do it. (Remember 360 did this with PC on some games. I think PS3 also did it with PC on a few games)

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

DefHalan

Another thought when it comes to cross-platform multiplayer. Isn't one of the main reasons Microsoft and Sony charge for Online play is that they take care of the servers for games? With cross-platform multiplayer they won't be, so is multiplayer still locked behind their pay wall? What are you paying for is nost games support cross-platform multiplayer?

Shinion

@DefHalan: I think that regardless of how this will affect anything, there's no way in hell that we're seeing the end of the pay-for-online subscription model, particularly as it was Microsoft who announced this, if it meant getting rid of that they'd have been the most stern in their opposition to it, or at the very least it would be restructured in such a way so that they still get the dough. After all, this is the company who introduced it and who now rely on how many 'active members' it has at the end of every month in order to disguise the fact they're losing the "console wars".

And you missed my point, I don't see this as a way that developers/publishers will try to continue to separate consoles, and the Wii U is largely irrelevant to this discussion, I'm just trying to second guess the way the 'AAA' publishers ('cause I don't see indie devs like the guys who made Rocket League having the gall to do this) will try to push the boundaries of this concept to make a quick buck because they know they can get away with it. In a world where Konami has people buying insurance for their Monopoly money they bought via microtransactions in Metal Gear Solid V would it really be all that shocking to see this sold on a game-by-game basis?

It may crash and burn like the online pass, but I'm 100% sure they'll try something scummy because they can get away with it. Pre-order insentives exclusive to one system (like cosmetics one can wear online) that the other has to pay a fee for? Actual modes/substantive content available early for people who pre-order the Season Pass on one system (á la The Division for Xbox One) but are unavible for users of the other system for a set time or unless they pay even more money?

The possibilities are numerous. EA be lickin' their lips at the thought of it all.

Edited on by Shinion

Shinion

DefHalan

@TheLastLugia: I don't disagree with any of that. I do think 3rd Parties will try something like that if they can.

Peek-a-boo

Yet another price drop in the US, down to $299 for a 'limited time'.

This means that the The Divison bundle is now $349, the 'Name Your Game' bundle shall be $299 (a choice between four games; Forza Motorsport 6, Gears of War: Ultimate Edition, Rare Replay and Rise of the Tomb Raider) and the upcoming Quantum Break bundle (with the Cirrus White Xbox One) will be $299.

I'm not sure how they are making money on these anymore, but it's good for new customers!

I thoroughly hope Quantum Break does well too, both critically and sales wise.

Peek-a-boo

Grumblevolcano

Wouldn't be surprised if this becomes permanent from June onwards. Meanwhile Sony seems to be making a PS4.5, all of this sounds like a panic response to NX rumours.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ryno

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Wouldn't be surprised if this becomes permanent from June onwards. Meanwhile Sony seems to be making a PS4.5, all of this sounds like a panic response to NX rumours.

To me, it just seems like times are changing. The era of 5-7 year console cycles may be coming to an end.

Untitled

Just preordered Season 3 Ultra! As someone who doesn't have time to grind the "VIP Double XP Booster" and "18,000 KI gold" are more appreciated than the classic games. As big of a fan as I was of K.I. on the SNES back in the day, I have only played maybe 20 minutes total of the 2 classic games. I will use the "retro" costumes though. Thank you Bing fro the "free" credit!

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

Gamer83

@Grumblevolcano:
I really don't think it has anything to do with NX. Most of the rumors I've heard have it being either on par with PS4 hardware wise or a little behind. I think if there's any panic it's more about MS potentially having a beefed up Xbox One ready to go.

Gamer83

Shinion

@Gamer83: well considering the topic is whether or not a rumoured console is being mass produced in response to the threat that another rumoured console that we know nothing about may offer I think......................
You know what no. I may engage in these speculation things from time to time but this is a bridge too far. Trying to guess the logic and likelihood of a rumour in relation to another rumour? When does it end!? o_0

Shinion

Shinion

@DefHalan: at first glance my response to that is "yes! About time we can get some value out of digital console games we'll never touch again" though of course the way Microsoft is implementing it there is questionable, and whilst I won't go and look at the worst case scenario like the author of the article did, I would say that a basic refund policy is the best and most logical first step to take, just as it was with Steam. It's a basic consumer right, and implementing it in a similar way would be a great thing that is long overdue. A lot of games people buy digitally on consoles tend to be hype-driven purchases in order to access it the moment the game is unlocked, and having no option available to get your money back if such a purchase bites you in the butt and you end up regretting it is just one of many reasons why I will continue to view this current gen of the PS4/Xbox One as gimped and cheap PCs.

Shinion

Peek-a-boo

10% is better than nothing however, there needs to be a 'time frame' for the amount of percentage though.

If somebody paid $60 or £50 for a new game and wish to 'sell it' within a 30 day window for example, the percentage should be higher; something like 30%, whereas after 90 days, 20%, and six months and beyond, 10%.

I'd applaud Microsoft if they did something like this, and for those who think that this is not very good, then you would have a choice either way, which is always better than no choice! Nobody loses out of this happens.

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

RR529

Okay, I want to get a charging cable for my 360 controller (one of those that connects it to the console itself).

Now, I don't have a rechargeable battery, but even so, if I keep the controller plugged in while playing, can I use it as a wired controller, even without batteries?

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

DefHalan

@RR529: Yes that does work. But it won't work on PC like that, if you were thinking of doing that. A wired 360 controller works on PC.

Edited on by DefHalan

RR529

Okay, thanks for the replies!

Our 360 controllers have been having connection issues (though, not as bad with name brand batteries), so hopefully having a direct link will solve the issue.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Peek-a-boo

Games with Gold is very, very good this month. Perhaps the best month since the service first begun!

Untitled

Over the past year, Microsoft have really stepped it up with the likes of Rayman Legends, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, Tomb Raider, The Walking Dead: Season One, Thief and Killer Instinct.

I believe a Sherlock Holmes game and Lords of the Fallen (debatable quality asides) were the most recent 'free' games with the service too.

PS+ is going to have to start building a portfolio of games that the masses want, rather than offering a pixel-art indie game most months, however good they may well be.

The Xbox One has had a relatively quiet three months on the games front so far this year, but the quality of Games with Gold has carried those three months along quite nicely.

I thoroughly hope that they continue to bring out these kind of games every month or so!

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Shinion

@DarthNocturnal: I'd implore you to try The Wolf Among Us if nothing else if you're already Gold member. I played that as my first Telltale game last year and I loved it, and have since played both seasons of The Walking Dead as well as the amazing Tales From the Borderlands. Episodes vary from 2-3 hours so if you've got that much time to spare I couldn't recommend TWOU higher.

Shinion

Peek-a-boo

Yeah, The Wolf Among Us is easily the best game Telltale have done, even though the first season of The Walking Dead had more of a lasting impression on me (due to the unforgettable ending).

Tales from the Borderlands is genuinely superb - it was one of the best games of 2015, and unexpectedly so too. They have gone on a bit of a decline since Games of Throne and Minecraft though.

Peek-a-boo

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic