Other Gaming Forum

Topic: The Playstation 4 fan thread.

Showing 341 to 360 of 1,528

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Odnetnin

341. Posted:

Bankai wrote:

That is one of the poorest examples of "smart writing" I've ever seen.

Somehow whoever wrote that managed to miss the context - ie that a marketing event is meant to include marketing.

So, yeah, they used marketing words. Duh.

I thought the point about limitations inspiring creativity was interesting. Cage's words regarding the power of the PS4 are fairly off putting, and so far there don't appear to be any games taking advantage of the spec bump in a meaningful way.

I'm sure that will change soon and I know there's more to the PS4 than polygons, but that portion of the announcement struck me as missing the point of what gaming is all about.

Six word TV reviews
The Worst Firework Displays of all Time

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7077-1059 | Twitter: Odnetnin

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Retro_on_theGo

342. Posted:

So yeah.

NINTENDO IS DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED! FOR REAL THIS TIME!!!!1!!1

"When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade!" -Hades 3DS FC: 5026-4421-7593
Black 2 FC: 0605 4087 9952 My Backloggery
My Colors! 3D Gallery

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SteveRod1992

343. Posted:

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

So yeah.

NINTENDO IS DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED! FOR REAL THIS TIME!!!!1!!1

Wrong!!! Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo are doooooooom Valve's Steam Box will rule everything!!! lajsdfljasd TOLOLOLO :P jk

SteveRod1992

Nintendo Network ID: SteveRod87

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

344. Posted:

DarkKnight wrote:

Bankai wrote:

That is one of the poorest examples of "smart writing" I've ever seen.

Somehow whoever wrote that managed to miss the context - ie that a marketing event is meant to include marketing.

So, yeah, they used marketing words. Duh.

I thought the point about limitations inspiring creativity was interesting. Cage's words regarding the power of the PS4 are fairly off putting, and so far there don't appear to be any games taking advantage of the spec bump in a meaningful way.

I'm sure that will change soon and I know there's more to the PS4 than polygons, but that portion of the announcement struck me as missing the point of what gaming is all about.

I both agreed and disagreed with that point.

Limitations can certainly drive creativity because they force an artist to come up with a solution to a problem. Miyamoto designed Mario around the limitations of the NES hardware, for instance.

But it's ridiculous to pretend that artists can't also do amazing things by being "freed" from limitations. If you give a painter a paintbrush and two colours, he can make a beautiful painting. If you give a painter 100 brushes of different thickness and design, and 1,000 colours, then he can also make a beautiful painting.

I hate black-and-white arguments like that. They very rarely reflect reality, which is almost always somewhere in the middle.

It's a poor opinion writer that can't recognise that.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SteveRod1992

345. Posted:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/21/playstation-4-wont-sup...

PS4 won't support 4K games. I still have a good feelings they might still support 4K Movies with the ps4.

SteveRod1992

Nintendo Network ID: SteveRod87

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DarkLloyd

346. Posted:

SteveRod1992 wrote:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/21/playstation-4-wont-sup...

PS4 won't support 4K games. I still have a good feelings they might still support 4K Movies with the ps4.

interesting well i heard or read in this case lol that the ps4 is boasting something 4K wise, if its not games then it makes me wonder, after all the 4K tvs arent even mainstream yet

DarkLloyd

AuthorMessage
Avatar

irken004

347. Posted:

I'm not toooooo bummed about the lack of backward compatibility, I'm used to it since they removed PS2 support on PS3. I never really sell my consoles anyway so I'll just keep the PS3. Although it'd be nice to get streaming versions of my currently owned PSN titles at least at some point.

Though I really hope that Sony and Gaikai can work out kinks with streaming, my past with Onlive and lag was not too pretty.

And assuming that all PS4 titles will support vita streaming, it's a great idea.

Backloggery

AuthorMessage
Avatar

FOREST_RANGER

348. Posted:

So, one thing I'd like to know is the price. It shouldn't be over $500 since the PS4's CPU comes from an existing development process that should already be somewhat cheap at this point (AMD Bulldozer? Jaguar) compared to the Cell processor. But with the GAIKAI service and and the enhancement of PSN, that cost will be offset somehow. In general, I get the feeling that some part of the Playstation brand will be expensive (i.e. PS+, the console, the games, non-PS brands, etc.).

If the console is expensive at $450, it's definitely possible that it can lead off to a poor launch similar to the Wii U (unless the launch games are solid in every aspect). If PS+ gets more expensive, that may negligibly lessen the ratio of subscribers to the ones that don't.

If the money comes from the games... I wouldn't know. I'll just assume the MSRP game prices for the U.S. will stay the same ($60 USD; don't know about other countries though) since development costs should be easier to swallow because even a standard PC by itself could be used for the PS4 development environment.

Lastly, the company still enforces the console and brand's identity as a flexible system that can do many things. While there are good consequences of what this identity causes, I'd be interesting to see what the potential bad consequences could be besides the price.

Edited on by FOREST_RANGER

Formely known as bobbiKat

Awesome graphing calculator

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Knux

349. Posted:

Bankai wrote:

Drive Club.

There's two. :P

Working on the assumption that there will be other good-to-great games released on the PlayStation 4. The Witcher 3 is the final nail the proverbial coffin.

Oh I'm not denying there will be multiple amazing games on the PS4. It's just the matter of when there will be enough games that I want for the console. ;)

And while Test Drive looks amazing, I don't know if the gameplay will be amazing enough to make that game a system seller for me.

What I'll likely do is buy a Wii U this year and a PS4 next year, because I honestly don't think that I can afford to buy two consoles in the same year. Well that, and The Witcher 3 wouldn't be out until 2014 to begin with. Would be kind of weird if I did that, because then I would have bought a 3DS in 2011, Vita in 2012, Wii U in 2013, and PS4 in 2014.

The entire backwards compatibility thing doesn't bother me because I will be keeping and using my PS3 permanently anyway. However it does stop me from buying it at launch because the PS4 will need to build up it's own library.

And people complaining about the lack of backwards compatibility are likely the same people that didn't complain once when every Nintendo console up until the Wii lacked backwards compatibility. So here we go again...

Edited on by Knux

supersonic1990z@hushmail.com Twitter Wii FC: 4579-0293-6760-7162 [10:25] DarkwingLz: D**mit Knux, tell Sony to release Vita TV here >:[

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4499-6603 | Nintendo Network ID: Knux1990 | Twitter: Knux1990

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MrWalkieTalkie

350. Posted:

THE PS4 HAS BEEN UNVEILED! BEHOLD!!!
Untitled

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/Mr.WalkieTalkie
Nintendo Network ID: Mr.WalkieTalkie
3DS Friend Code: 4382-2073-7299

Chibi-Robo and Excitebiker for Smash!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

351. Posted:

FOREST_RANGER wrote:

So, one thing I'd like to know is the price. It shouldn't be over $500 since the PS4's CPU comes from an existing development process that should already be somewhat cheap at this point (AMD Bulldozer? Jaguar) compared to the Cell processor. But with the GAIKAI service and and the enhancement of PSN, that cost will be offset somehow. In general, I get the feeling that some part of the Playstation brand will be expensive (i.e. PS+, the console, the games, non-PS brands, etc.).

If the console is expensive at $450, it's definitely possible that it can lead off to a poor launch similar to the Wii U (unless the launch games are solid in every aspect). If PS+ gets more expensive, that may negligibly lessen the ratio of subscribers to the ones that don't.

If the money comes from the games... I wouldn't know. I'll just assume the MSRP game prices for the U.S. will stay the same ($60 USD; don't know about other countries though) since development costs should be easier to swallow because even a standard PC by itself could be used for the PS4 development environment.

Lastly, the company still enforces the console and brand's identity as a flexible system that can do many things. While there are good consequences of what this identity causes, I'd be interesting to see what the potential bad consequences could be besides the price.

It's going to be expensive. Sony would have announced the price if it wasn't. I reckon Sony will wait until the last possible second to announce price in an attempt to bring it down a little between here and then.

It's a problem. I can't see the PS4 selling well for the first couple of years, just as the PS3 didn't. But Sony is remarkably good at future proofing consoles. The PS3 is STILL recommendable, and the PSP really only became a thing in the second half of its life.

Because it's so easy to work with for developers, and because it has features that wold be difficult to replicate on other platforms (there is no Cloud as cohesive for gaming as the PlayStation Cloud in PC gaming, even, that works across multiple form factors including game consoles and handhelds), I see Sony getting away with this being a low-selling but premium product in the short term.

It's also very likely that the console will have a highly engaged audience, and a highly engaged audience is one that it easy to sell to. Third party developers will like that even if actual sales of the console are relatively low.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

V8_Ninja

352. Posted:

(Fair Warning: The below video contains some non-friendly language. You have been warned.)

While I'm not agitated by the PS4 announcement nor do I strongly care, the above video is pretty funny.

Thanks given to Xkhaoz for that one avatar.
Please contact me before using my custom avatar!
A (Former) Reviewer for Digitally Downloaded.net
My Backloggery, My Anime List, and My Blog
You can email me here.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MAB

353. Posted:

Damn you V8_Ninja I was about to post that (shakes fist)

MAB

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Aviator

354. Posted:

My main fears about the PS4 is about something Waltz already covered (either here or DD, not quite sure).

It might be fine for Americans and Europeans, who have better internet than Aussies, but I doubt I will be able to get a lot of use out of the new social aspects. Mainly, everything that is focused around streaming games (which is quite a lot of things).

In a way exhausting
we're problem solving
Drink 'til she's attractive
We're PARTYNAUSEOUS
Talking 'bout diplomatic
I brought my plastic
Making that peace attractive
We're PARTYNAUSEOUS
PSN: naviator_9

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MAB

355. Posted:

Don't worry mate I'm sure you will be able to use at least half of the PS4 in another 30 - 40 years tops.

MAB

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

356. Posted:

Aviator wrote:

My main fears about the PS4 is about something Waltz already covered (either here or DD, not quite sure).

It might be fine for Americans and Europeans, who have better internet than Aussies, but I doubt I will be able to get a lot of use out of the new social aspects. Mainly, everything that is focused around streaming games (which is quite a lot of things).

I suggest giving iiNet a call :-)

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Neoproteus

357. Posted:

Once I got over the "Ooohhh... shiny" feeling and actually thought about the PS4 for a minute, I was a little disappointed. Exactly what can the PS4 do that the PS3 can't? I like the fact that it's still supporting the Move, and I really think they should focus on that. I'd even go so far as to recommend developing most first-party games for the move instead of the Dualshock 4 (or whatever they're calling it), and packaging the Move with the console. I know they won't though, and PS4 games will be the same as PS3 games, basically repeating the last generation.

Neoproteus

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CapnPancakes

358. Posted:

I guess I don't really understand the purpose of the touchpad on the new controller. What exactly will you use it for? I guess I could understand if it was a screen but I didn't see them say anything about it during the parts of the conference I watched.

Runs the NintendoLife Best VGM Tourney Come Vote!
The Pancakeloggery
Keep it frosty people.
My Super Mario Galaxy Bio courtesy of Dark-Luigi.

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

359. Posted:

Neoproteus wrote:

Once I got over the "Ooohhh... shiny" feeling and actually thought about the PS4 for a minute, I was a little disappointed. Exactly what can the PS4 do that the PS3 can't? I like the fact that it's still supporting the Move, and I really think they should focus on that. I'd even go so far as to recommend developing most first-party games for the move instead of the Dualshock 4 (or whatever they're calling it), and packaging the Move with the console. I know they won't though, and PS4 games will be the same as PS3 games, basically repeating the last generation.

Cloud

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Amigaengine

360. Posted:

CapnPancakes wrote:

I guess I don't really understand the purpose of the touchpad on the new controller. What exactly will you use it for? I guess I could understand if it was a screen but I didn't see them say anything about it during the parts of the conference I watched.

Well it clicks also so I would say it will be like a touch pad for your laptop maybe ? What practical function it will have in gaming is something they will have to explain.

Twitter: AmigaEngine