Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 321 to 340 of 16,083

Jaz007

So I just heard IGN predicted that PS4 will be more powerful than the next Xbox.

Jaz007

LzWinky

Bankai wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

I was just about to post that. Yes it's a bad thing. A dreadful thing. A deal breaker, if you will.

I agree that sucks, but I'm not surprised.

The PS4 uses a completely different architecture to the PS3, and so stuff made for PS3 simply won't work on the PS4. Given that the new architecture is far better to work with for development, on balance it was the right move to make.

However, when the Gaikai Cloud does streaming for PS3 games, as Sony promised, the PSN stuff will likely work that was as well.

In the mean time I am going to buy a spare PS3.

I wonder if this is why the Wii U has to have the Wii mode in order to have backwards compatibility. It seems to be an entirely separate system

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

SteveRod1992

Man, so much going on here! lol I think the best thing to do is wait a year until we see what happens with all major gaming consoles. Man who know whats going to happen. Its still too early to tell, just follow what you enjoy!!!!

SteveRod1992

Nintendo Network ID: SteveRod87

LzWinky

Gamesake wrote:

@LordLzGlad So it's acting like two Wiis duct taped together?

Oh come now, don't be such a troll!

It's actually 2 and a half

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Bankai

I suppose you're right, but that might take a long time. Oh well, I guess I'm skipping it anyways. I just hope I can transfer things to the PS5.

Unless Sony goes back to the old architecture (ie, dumps x86), then no, you won't.

I wonder if this is why the Wii U has to have the Wii mode in order to have backwards compatibility. It seems to be an entirely separate system

If Nintendo went to an x86 architecture, you'd likely lose all of your VC content. It's a different technology world entirely.

Of course that would be offset by having a console that developers actually want to work on. As opposed to the Wii U.

Developers like x86, see.

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=196618

Oh Sony...

I don't think GoNintendo employs finance journalists, somehow.

Some kid's seen the little line on the graph and completely misunderstood what it actually means.

(means nothing, BTW. There's always uncertainty after a major product announcement)

Odnetnin

Bankai wrote:

That is one of the poorest examples of "smart writing" I've ever seen.

Somehow whoever wrote that managed to miss the context - ie that a marketing event is meant to include marketing.

So, yeah, they used marketing words. Duh.

I thought the point about limitations inspiring creativity was interesting. Cage's words regarding the power of the PS4 are fairly off putting, and so far there don't appear to be any games taking advantage of the spec bump in a meaningful way.

I'm sure that will change soon and I know there's more to the PS4 than polygons, but that portion of the announcement struck me as missing the point of what gaming is all about.

Six word TV reviews
The Worst Firework Displays of all Time

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7077-1059 | Twitter:

SteveRod1992

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

So yeah.

NINTENDO IS DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED! FOR REAL THIS TIME!!!!1!!1

Wrong!!! Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo are doooooooom Valve's Steam Box will rule everything!!! lajsdfljasd TOLOLOLO jk

SteveRod1992

Nintendo Network ID: SteveRod87

Bankai

DarkKnight wrote:

Bankai wrote:

That is one of the poorest examples of "smart writing" I've ever seen.

Somehow whoever wrote that managed to miss the context - ie that a marketing event is meant to include marketing.

So, yeah, they used marketing words. Duh.

I thought the point about limitations inspiring creativity was interesting. Cage's words regarding the power of the PS4 are fairly off putting, and so far there don't appear to be any games taking advantage of the spec bump in a meaningful way.

I'm sure that will change soon and I know there's more to the PS4 than polygons, but that portion of the announcement struck me as missing the point of what gaming is all about.

I both agreed and disagreed with that point.

Limitations can certainly drive creativity because they force an artist to come up with a solution to a problem. Miyamoto designed Mario around the limitations of the NES hardware, for instance.

But it's ridiculous to pretend that artists can't also do amazing things by being "freed" from limitations. If you give a painter a paintbrush and two colours, he can make a beautiful painting. If you give a painter 100 brushes of different thickness and design, and 1,000 colours, then he can also make a beautiful painting.

I hate black-and-white arguments like that. They very rarely reflect reality, which is almost always somewhere in the middle.

It's a poor opinion writer that can't recognise that.

irken004

I'm not toooooo bummed about the lack of backward compatibility, I'm used to it since they removed PS2 support on PS3. I never really sell my consoles anyway so I'll just keep the PS3. Although it'd be nice to get streaming versions of my currently owned PSN titles at least at some point.

Though I really hope that Sony and Gaikai can work out kinks with streaming, my past with Onlive and lag was not too pretty.

And assuming that all PS4 titles will support vita streaming, it's a great idea.

FOREST_RANGER

So, one thing I'd like to know is the price. It shouldn't be over $500 since the PS4's CPU comes from an existing development process that should already be somewhat cheap at this point (AMD Bulldozer? Jaguar) compared to the Cell processor. But with the GAIKAI service and and the enhancement of PSN, that cost will be offset somehow. In general, I get the feeling that some part of the Playstation brand will be expensive (i.e. PS+, the console, the games, non-PS brands, etc.).

If the console is expensive at $450, it's definitely possible that it can lead off to a poor launch similar to the Wii U (unless the launch games are solid in every aspect). If PS+ gets more expensive, that may negligibly lessen the ratio of subscribers to the ones that don't.

If the money comes from the games... I wouldn't know. I'll just assume the MSRP game prices for the U.S. will stay the same ($60 USD; don't know about other countries though) since development costs should be easier to swallow because even a standard PC by itself could be used for the PS4 development environment.

Lastly, the company still enforces the console and brand's identity as a flexible system that can do many things. While there are good consequences of what this identity causes, I'd be interesting to see what the potential bad consequences could be besides the price.

Edited on by FOREST_RANGER

Formely known as bobbiKat

Nintendo Network ID: F0R35T_R8NG3R

Knux

Bankai wrote:

Drive Club.

There's two.

Working on the assumption that there will be other good-to-great games released on the PlayStation 4. The Witcher 3 is the final nail the proverbial coffin.

Oh I'm not denying there will be multiple amazing games on the PS4. It's just the matter of when there will be enough games that I want for the console.

And while Test Drive looks amazing, I don't know if the gameplay will be amazing enough to make that game a system seller for me.

What I'll likely do is buy a Wii U this year and a PS4 next year, because I honestly don't think that I can afford to buy two consoles in the same year. Well that, and The Witcher 3 wouldn't be out until 2014 to begin with. Would be kind of weird if I did that, because then I would have bought a 3DS in 2011, Vita in 2012, Wii U in 2013, and PS4 in 2014.

The entire backwards compatibility thing doesn't bother me because I will be keeping and using my PS3 permanently anyway. However it does stop me from buying it at launch because the PS4 will need to build up it's own library.

And people complaining about the lack of backwards compatibility are likely the same people that didn't complain once when every Nintendo console up until the Wii lacked backwards compatibility. So here we go again...

Edited on by Knux

Knux

Bankai

FOREST_RANGER wrote:

So, one thing I'd like to know is the price. It shouldn't be over $500 since the PS4's CPU comes from an existing development process that should already be somewhat cheap at this point (AMD Bulldozer? Jaguar) compared to the Cell processor. But with the GAIKAI service and and the enhancement of PSN, that cost will be offset somehow. In general, I get the feeling that some part of the Playstation brand will be expensive (i.e. PS+, the console, the games, non-PS brands, etc.).

If the console is expensive at $450, it's definitely possible that it can lead off to a poor launch similar to the Wii U (unless the launch games are solid in every aspect). If PS+ gets more expensive, that may negligibly lessen the ratio of subscribers to the ones that don't.

If the money comes from the games... I wouldn't know. I'll just assume the MSRP game prices for the U.S. will stay the same ($60 USD; don't know about other countries though) since development costs should be easier to swallow because even a standard PC by itself could be used for the PS4 development environment.

Lastly, the company still enforces the console and brand's identity as a flexible system that can do many things. While there are good consequences of what this identity causes, I'd be interesting to see what the potential bad consequences could be besides the price.

It's going to be expensive. Sony would have announced the price if it wasn't. I reckon Sony will wait until the last possible second to announce price in an attempt to bring it down a little between here and then.

It's a problem. I can't see the PS4 selling well for the first couple of years, just as the PS3 didn't. But Sony is remarkably good at future proofing consoles. The PS3 is STILL recommendable, and the PSP really only became a thing in the second half of its life.

Because it's so easy to work with for developers, and because it has features that wold be difficult to replicate on other platforms (there is no Cloud as cohesive for gaming as the PlayStation Cloud in PC gaming, even, that works across multiple form factors including game consoles and handhelds), I see Sony getting away with this being a low-selling but premium product in the short term.

It's also very likely that the console will have a highly engaged audience, and a highly engaged audience is one that it easy to sell to. Third party developers will like that even if actual sales of the console are relatively low.

V8_Ninja

(Fair Warning: The below video contains some non-friendly language. You have been warned.)

While I'm not agitated by the PS4 announcement nor do I strongly care, the above video is pretty funny.

Thanks given to Xkhaoz for that one avatar.
Please contact me before using my custom avatar!
A (Former) Reviewer for Digitally Downloaded.net
My Backloggery: http://backloggery.com/v8_ninja

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic