Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 361 to 380 of 16,083

shingi_70

RR529 wrote:

Just saw a commercial for Destiny while watching WWE Monday Night Raw (surprised to see a TV commercial this far out), and PS4 was the only platform mentioned in the advertisement (maybe meaning it'll release on PS4 first, or that Sony has an advertising deal, like MS has had with COD).

Sony has an advertising deal with them. Bungie said they'll get exclusive DLC while Microsoft is probably going to get Halo based items for the game.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

RR529

Sony_70 wrote:

RR529 wrote:

Just saw a commercial for Destiny while watching WWE Monday Night Raw (surprised to see a TV commercial this far out), and PS4 was the only platform mentioned in the advertisement (maybe meaning it'll release on PS4 first, or that Sony has an advertising deal, like MS has had with COD).

Sony has an advertising deal with them. Bungie said they'll get exclusive DLC while Microsoft is probably going to get Halo based items for the game.

Ah, that makes sense.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Jaz007

Tasuki wrote:

Well now Sony may follow MS example of DRM for used games with its own PS4 according to this article.

http://www.gamespot.com//news/ps4-may-include-drm-for-used-ga...

I'm starting to get really worried here. I'm starting to think about E-mialing Sony. I'm going to E-mail them if they don't do what I think is the right thing when it comes to used games. I've never E-mailed a company before either. This issue is something I'm really not just going to take lying down. The possibilty of this happening in the next-gen is just plain horrible to me, it would ruin it.

Jaz007

dumedum

I think you're giving the emailing thing a little too much weight.
They don't care.

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

Tasuki

Jaz007 wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

Well now Sony may follow MS example of DRM for used games with its own PS4 according to this article.

http://www.gamespot.com//news/ps4-may-include-drm-for-used-ga...

I'm starting to get really worried here. I'm starting to think about E-mialing Sony. I'm going to E-mail them if they don't do what I think is the right thing when it comes to used games. I've never E-mailed a company before either. This issue is something I'm really not just going to take lying down. The possibilty of this happening in the next-gen is just plain horrible to me, it would ruin it.

Funny thing I have say is that with MS and Sony doing things they way it looks like, the Wii U just might come out on top this gen, as long as Nintendo gets its act together and take advantage of the situation.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Jaz007

dumedum wrote:

I think you're giving the emailing thing a little too much weight.
They don't care.

My individual E-mail doesn't really matter. It's in the hope that they are gauging reaction to help with their decision on the matter and that the backlash will be big enough to sway them away from used games blocking.

Edited on by Jaz007

Jaz007

Tasuki

I am not sure if anyone can answer this but why the heck are MS and Sony being such punks when it comes to used games? I dont see Blu-ray players not being prevented from playing used movies and I dont see car dealerships refusing trade ins. So what does it matter if your game console plays used games?

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

shingi_70

Tasuki wrote:

I am not sure if anyone can answer this but why the heck are MS and Sony being such punks when it comes to used games? I dont see Blu-ray players not being prevented from playing used movies and I dont see car dealerships refusing trade ins. So what does it matter if your game console plays used games?

None of the systems are blocking use games. The way Microsoft is doing it makes sure they get a cut of every paused game sale. Sony wiykd be stupid not to do the same thing.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

RR529

Tasuki wrote:

The argument is that the used game market hurts the game industry more than other used markets hurt their respective industries.

Pretty much, games cost so much to produce that selling them at $60 doesn't give them enough return to make profit. In reality, AAA games should be priced around $100, but the public views that as too expensive for a game (pretty much, the public wants them to make blockbuster efforts with the most state of the art technology, but not sell them at the price those games are worth).

With the combination of used game sales (mostly people buying for $5 off, the week after release), and the dangerously low price they're forced to sell their games at in the first place, stuff like DLC, Online Passes, encouraging digital purchases, and discouraging used purchases, have become a necessity in order to profit, and in some cases, just to break even.

I know that sounds like a stretch, but if you think about it, games used to cost extra if they cost more to develop (I believe DKC was originally $80, and Super Mario Kart $100, for example). Since there's now a cap on how much devs can charge for their games ($60), and games cost more than ever to produce, it actually kinda makes sense that $60 may not be enough, & that they need to find ways to make more money from their games.

Nintendo has been able to avoid this issue the last couple of gens (Wii & Wii U, respectively), because they've waited until the technology is cheaper to work with, and thus it doesn't break the bank to make their top teir franchises.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

shingi_70

Shouldn't be a surprise to anyone but it seems the PS4 is coming with the new PS eye instead of it being a separate purchase.

WAT!

shingi_70

Vidoc from Guerilla Games about the new Killzone Shadow fall

WAT!

banacheck

It's Official: PS4 Will Not Feature Used Game DRM Like Xbox One.
This clears up a few things:
1.) The PlayStation 4 can play games offline without having to be online. This was clarified the day of the PS4's reveal back on February 20th.
2.) Sony will not have any mandatory DRM for used games. You can buy, play, trade used games on the PlayStation 4 just as usual. No additional registration fees, pay-walls or internet registration required.
3.) If you so choose, you can play games from disc, download them from the digital store or remote load them. Sony doesn't mandate any method over the other for multi-format titles.
4.) Just for extra clarification the PlayStation 4 does not and will not require a constant always-on internet connection.

Anyway, this already makes it clear that if publishers want to DRM-up the PS4 they'll have to use third-party means to do so, which actually has nothing to do with the PS4 or Sony (e.g., sort of like how Ubisoft uses Uplay DRM for games on Steam).

banacheck

shingi_70

where does it say no drm? I've only read about no online.

WAT!

banacheck

This is a crazy bit of news because it's not actually new but Sony went ahead and kind of circled everyone back around to an earlier point they made regarding used games and DRM. Hence, the company is answering new questions retroactively and confirm that the PS4 won't have any built-in blocks against used games.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/It-Official-PS4-Feature-Used...

banacheck

Jaz007

It says that it Sony won't require publisher to have you register your game online, but that Publishers will be able to do that if they want to. Which means a lot of games could be have a form of used game block. I get online passes and can live with those, but requiring a fee to play a used game in just too much for me. The matter is still very scary and until Sony makes another statement on the matter I'm not going to know what to believe. I'm really worrried about the next-gen getting ruined by this kind of thing.

Jaz007

banacheck

Jaz007 wrote:

It says that it Sony won't require publisher to have you register your game online, but that Publishers will be able to do that if they want to. Which means a lot of games could be have a form of used game block. I get online passes and can live with those, but requiring a fee to play a used game in just too much for me. The matter is still very scary and until Sony makes another statement on the matter I'm not going to know what to believe. I'm really worrried about the next-gen getting ruined by this kind of thing.

That tells you Sonys hardware will not have any DRM restrictions, 3rd-party devs do have the option to use it just like now. But the only differences is you'll be able to play that disc on any console and choose where you sell it, where as the other one has restrictions.

banacheck

banacheck

The Last Guardian appears on official E3 2013 site, new trailer mentioned.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/03/the-last-guardian-appears-on-...

The Last Guardian has been moved to a PS4 release, according to former Sony employee Kenny Linder.

“It’s been PS4 for a long time now,” he said. “I don’t know, but I know it’s been in development on Orbis for a long time now. Its platform has been questionable for nearly two years, but the last time it was restarted (it’s been restarted a number of times), it was moved to Orbis.”

http://www.vg247.com/2013/02/15/the-last-guardian-has-been-a-...

Here hoping it'll finally be released.

banacheck

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic