Forums

Topic: The PlayStation 4 Fan Thread

Posts 11,601 to 11,620 of 11,795

Octane

I've been on a roll this year. I pretty much beat Thronebreakers, I completed Tomb Raider (2013), beat Titanfall 2, because with Apex Legends and all I had to finish it at some point, right? And now I've started a new Rise of the Tomb Raider playthrough. I really enjoyed TR, and I enjoy seeing the changes made to ROTR, there seems to be a bigger emphasis on survival and resource gathering; and there's a ton of objects you can craft in this game.

Octane

Dezzy

@Octane

In my opinion, Rise of Tomb Raider is pretty much the best Tomb Raider game ever made.
It's basically identical to the 2013 game but with better graphics, a better version of Lara, and better more open world design.
Sad that it never did that well commercially. Although they did get those timed exclusively dollars from Microsoft.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Octane

@Dezzy What did you think of Shadow of the Tomb Raider?

Playing ROTR, I'm getting Last of Us vibes, with the focus on stealth, resource gathering, crafting and all those throwable bottles around. I dunno, I find it funny that Uncharted is inspired by Tomb Raider, but the 2013 game seems like an improvement over the first three Uncharted games; and now this one takes elements from TLOU. But maybe I'm just seeing things and I should stop comparing them

Octane

Dezzy

Haven't played Shadow yet because it got such a mixed reaction. I'll play it when it's dropped to like £10 to buy.

I'm not sure about a comparison with the Last of Us. Definitely not in terms of story. The Tomb Raider stories are generic guff.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Octane

@Dezzy Definitely not story, but more in the way of crafting items and whatnot.

Anyway, the Soviet Base or whatever it is called is absolutely huge. I think it's the fourth mountain section. There are a million collectibles and quests... I don't even know where to start.

Octane

RR529

It looks like I should be nearing the end of God of War soon.

Recently I completed the last of Brok & Sindri's side quests, freeing the last dragon in the process, so I could get some sort of legendary armor, and in the main quest I just entered the World Serpent's stomach.

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

RR529

Caved in and just ordered the PSVR Astro Bot/Moss bundle. Walmart had it marked down on their website, so even after springing for an extended warranty it was just about $290 in total.

Also finished up God of War this morning. Still processing it all but it was pretty great overall.

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

Octane

@RR529 Did you see the ending?

Welcome to the VR club. Astro Bot is great, can't recommend it enough. I need to get Moss at some point, but my local stores have had great deals on VR games lately (I got Tetris Effect for only €10); but none of those discounts applied to Moss, so I went with other games instead. But I'll get around to it eventually this year.

You should also check out a trailer of Ghost Giant; I think that's coming real soon. Looks a bit like Tearaway and Animal Crossing.

Octane

RR529

@Octane, if you're talking about finding out that Atreus (or should I say Loki!) is part giant than yes.

Definitely looking forward to the VR kit BTW. Is there any sort of free software I should download that might make it easier to get accustomed to? I've never had issues with 3D movies or games, but I understand VR is more intense, so I want to be safe just in case.

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

Octane

@RR529 There's another (secret) ending you can trigger at any time after the credits

The Last Guardian VR Experience is a free (and very short) VR demo based on the game. Call of Duty has a free space battle demo on the PS Store; kinda like Star Fox; haven't played it yet though!

Anyway, there are free VR Demo Collections available (I believe there are three available at the moment), they all include a bunch of VR demos; RE7, Astro Bot, etc.

And The Playroom VR is free as well; kinda like Nintendo Land on the Wii U, it's more fun with a couple of friends.

Octane

RR529

@Octane, I'm gessing I have to head back home?

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

RR529

Got my Astro Bot/Moss VR bundle in yesterday!

Didn't have time to try out any of the games yet (it was late, so I didn't have the time to wait for one to download), but I did get everything set up & watched a few VR videos on YouTube to test it out. Started out with a few slower paced videos like Shark encounters & a Grand Canyon tour, then worked my way up to a few roller coaster videos, and other than a slight feeling of "butterflies" once or twice I never felt sick, so hopefully that's a good sign. By far the worst one in that regard was scenes from a Ghost in the Shell VR experience. During the beginning when the Major's body is being constructed in front of you, there was a part where the camera quickly pulled away from her while she was spinning in front of you, which made me dizzy for a few seconds, but the rest of the video never bothered me, including the action scenes & free fall sections. It's pretty awesome tech, all in all.

BTW, I assume it's safe to leave everything plugged in even when not doing VR things? I did put away the headset itself, but the processor box seems like it would be a pain to set up every time.

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

FX102A

After restarting Ace Combat 7 for the 4th time I’m starting to wonder if I should finally cave in and get PSVR as the demo I once tried was really enjoyable.

The having to play multiplayer to unlock aircraft skins; not so much. May have to look into boosting again.

FX102A

PikPi

Played Trine a bit yesterday because I'm currently in a void where I have no games I actively want to pursue and have resorted to just dabbling in random games stored away on my various consoles.

Most of that game is just wrestling with the physics. Frustrating, but satisfying when you manage to get things to react in the way you hope.

PikPi

CanisWolfred

After trying Destiny 2 and playing about 50 odd hours of it (I think, there's no in-game statistics), I think I can safely say that I don't like online multiplayer-only games, and will not be playing any more of them in the future. This has been the camal that broke my back. There are so many little ways that the format just hinders the overall experience, it's all I can do to keep from making a massive wall of text explaining why it's bad. But I don't have to, because all I have to say is that "it's an MMORPG." There's just nothing positive gained from the format. At the end of the day, I'd rather go back and replay the Bungie Halo games, because most of the good in this game can be found there, but in a tighter package, and with multiplayer safely walled off from the main game.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

EvilLucario

Just beat Gravity Rush. Oh boy... never have I felt so mixed on a game in a very long time.

There's a lot to like about the game. It looks good enough, runs at 60fps on PS4, characters are cute, and the soundtrack is awesome. But man, after the initial hype with the first hour or two, the gameplay kinda just... fell apart for me by mid-way.

Combat is so extremely basic and doesn't even feel good. You don't automatically lock-on against targets, so sometimes your attacks will outright wiff. The basic combos aren't exactly complex, you just hit the attack button multiple times and things die. Special attacks you unlock later on in the story don't mix-up gameplay enough. Dodging feels unsatisfying and is very gimped. The one thing that sets this game apart is the gravity mechanic, which is really cool to mess around with outside of combat for traversal, but when trying to mix it in with combat with the gravity field or kick, it's clumsy. Very clumsy. Like normal on-foot combat, sometimes your gravity kick just straight up misses, and the gravity field seems very pointless since grabbing items and flinging it to enemies doesn't feel worth it at all. And when you do miss your gravity kick, you have to stop, fangle about with the camera, re-orientate yourself (thank the Lord baby Jesus for gyro aiming), then try again and pray you can actually land your hit. I can see that the gravity mechanic is really cool on paper, but in practice I feel like there needed something else added, like actual dedicated L-targeting or whatever. And because it's so clumsy, that's why when bosses require you to use the gravity mechanic to kick them in, they are extremely easy and forgiving to make up for the unpolished gravity mechanic.

If you asked me, Gravity Rush should have been a platformer instead of an action-adventure. I think the gravity mechanic is at its best when you're simply moving around, and that should have been the basis for a unique platformer. I think that could work well even with such freedom, look at Kirby games where you can fly everywhere. Instead we get an unsatisfying, basic game with glimmers of potential, but nothing beyond that.

And the story is... alright, I guess? It feels extremely short and unfinished though. When the game ended, I straight up said to myself "that's it?" It felt like huge sequel-baiting since I didn't feel like the story felt developed enough. Stuff just happens and solves itself and nothing is left to really develop. I honestly expected a lot more tbh.

Man, I'm just sad. Everything about Gravity Rush looked right up my alley and I thought it could have been something to champion and praise as a cult classic, but instead I got a nice looking game mixed in with a lot of eh things. It's just a shame.

I think Gravity Rush 2 is more of the same from the original, but if it fixes a lot of my problems of Gravity Rush 1 then I'll consider picking it up. As it stands, though, I don't know if I care to find out what happens next.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Octane

@EvilLucario I was a little more forgiving on the combat, but that was my thoughts on Gravity Rush as well. I think there was enough to like it though.

The second game promised answers to all the unanswered narrative threads from the first game. Either I missed it, or they weren't there, because I left the second game more confused than the first one. There's definitely new stuff in the second game, and if it's cheap, it's worth checking out. But the second game is a lot longer, so it felt like it dragged on for too long IMO, even more so than the first game.

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic