Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 10,501 to 10,520 of 16,083

NEStalgia

@Octane Spyro's worthy of the praise, though is a product of its time. It did some things better than Mario 64 around the same time period, and similarly 64 doesn't always hold up well despite the core fans. The remaster is fantastic but I want to rage like Ripto every time I have to mess with that horrid camera in 1 & 2, even in the remaster. Crash was overrated though. It's unique, it's cool, but the dread camera placement makes it less platformer and more rhythm memorization game. I do love Ratchet though. Insomniac never disappoints, Ratchet, Spidey, Sunset Overdrive....so far, they're spot-on reliable. I miss Sly. No Sly 5 on PS4

Jak is the horribly overrated series. There's cool things about it but I still feel that 1 holds up better than 2 and 3 despite the bad camera. I'm enjoying it more now than in the past because it was always a bad series, that people made into a super hype series. Playing it as a B-side now is a lot more enjoyable.

Actually, what is it about ND that since the beginning they've always been massively overrated? Crash, Jak, Uncharted, TLoU......they've been overhyped with terrible cameras since the 90's. Meanwhile Sucker Punch and Insomniac are much better studios IMO and don't get nearly the hype (maybe after Spidey, Insomniac will.)

Edit: Actually Guerilla didn't show they were capable of great output until Horizon. Killzone is a completely meh series that was wasting their apparent talents.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@redd214 Maybe it's the end of the big online shooter? Or the genre's been replaced by F2P Battle Royale? Though CoD is doing quite well. Shame, BF is one of the better ones.

NEStalgia

redd214

@NEStalgia I dunno it seems lots of AAA games tanked in price pretty quickly this year, quicker than usual. Tomb raider, Hitman, fallout 76 (obviously a special case) etc. Fully expect Darksiders 3 to be $30 before the year is over based on the reception thus far. I know it happens just seems swifter than in the past.

redd214

link3710

@NEStalgia I definitely agree with what you're saying about PS1/2 platformers. As much as I adore Crash, it's for the same reason I like Bit.Trip.Runner more than any comparison you could make to actual platformers.

Spyro I feel holds up well to this day, but I haven't gotten to try out the remasters yet. I think the camera is slightly less wonky than Super Mario 64s, but it's a shame to hear that hasn't been fixed in the remake.

Never played Ratchet & Clank, but the Jak series is... It's really weird. I don't know how I feel about it, mostly because it never seemed to really find it's identity. The first game was a highly competent 3D collectathon, but still didn't reach the levels of Banjo/Mario IMO. Then the next two were all over the place, like they wanted to mesh collectathon with GTA.

Sly I definitely enjoyed, but I'm only partway through the second game now. Too bad the trilogy didn't make it to PS4, I'd definitely pick it up there rather than finish it on my PSX.

Oh, and I finally got a PS4 this black friday after discussing it for like... a year in this thread. I'll admit, my first experiences weren't that positive, not being able to play it that day between system updates and install times and a confusing and kind of slow OS. I'm so spoiled by the Switch it's not even funny. That said, I've played some of Shadow of the Collosus (I think I got overhyped on that one after hearing about it for decades) and Spiderman (Pretty fun so far, nothing spectacular but it's nice to finally have a Spiderman game that looks set to beat Spiderman 2 and Shattered Dimensions). The combat though, reminds me of playing the Arkham series.

I also got the two humble bundles earlier this year, so I already have 30+ games to try out, though some I've played on other platforms.

link3710

NEStalgia

@redd214 Not sure about half price sans "black friday" racing but discounted, yeah, probably. Though it's been on 10% off preorder sale forever, so thankfully preorderers don't' get totally screwed on that one.

I think the tanking prices this year have a lot to do with the sheer volume of games releasing in the same 2 months. I'm not sure how they returned to that silly "we only release at Christmas" problem that happened mid PS3 era. They finally started releasing year-round, and now we're back to it. RDR2 was going to dominate, and, on paper, Fallout 76 should have. Everything else was kinda screwed. Mostly I think the quick discounts is a current industry need to show "MAU" over revenues. Investors are in that kick where immediate profits don't matter, they want to see continuous rising engagement rates, probably long-term valuing monetization, subscription potential for brands, mobile models, etc. Thus everyone's racing to show 3M sales even if they take a loss to do it.

I haven't seen Hitman tank in price yet, though. I wonder how Just Cause 4 will do next week. Other than Smash, a December release feels like a death sentence this year.

NEStalgia

Anti-Matter

Cobalt wrote:

PS5 with game cartridges ?

Untitled

Also, that means PS5 will NOT Backward Compatible with PS4 disks.

Anti-Matter

redd214

@NEStalgia if a mammoth franchise like battlefield can get slashed in half in 2 weeks, I think it's not unreasonable to wager the same could happen to a mid tier game like ds3.

Hitman 2 was 40 a week after launch. It's back up now but I doubt for long. I think Just Cause is really just being sent out to die. Even pushing it to January seems better but what do I know

redd214

redd214

@Anti-Matter It doesn't mean anything yet turbo, it's just a patent. Most don't even pan out as originally listed.

redd214

NEStalgia

@link3710 I think they stuck to the original cameras. It's probably refined, but they didn't want to change it too much and break original difficulty. Notably, 3 has a much more modern camera than 1 & 2 despite being the same engine, just like the originals. Underwater in 2 and 3 are still terribad though.

Yeah, I'm not sure what happened with Jak. I'm sure it involves suits though. 1 wasn't half bad as a collectathon. Again, the usual camera issues of the era, but generall decent with a fun tribal beach vibe. They they went all dark and gritty and change the entire motif of the game with 2. It was the start of "edgy Playstation." But the game itself wasn't grounded to anything it was kind of everywhere. Then 3 really lost the narrative (but fixed the gameplay a bit.) And then they just figured "fuggidall" and made 4 a racing game. I still say the best Jak game was "Daxter" on PSP. That was actually fun

Congrats on getting the machine! (If only my Pro would stop constantly beeping while on.....works perfectly fine, but beeps all the time. ) I think you've described my feeling on most PS exclusives. Overhyped And yet they're all excellent games that are great to play. The hype on Spiderman seems to forget it's a copypasta of the Arkham formula (mixed with a little Sunset Overdrive) but at the same time it's a fantastic game...the hype makes it seem less impressive than it otherwise would. I tend to enjoy most PS games years (or decades) after the hype dies down a lot more than while the hype is strong. SotC is amazing though. Sure it's platform/QTE/puzzle/attack gameplay. But there's really nothing else quite like it.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@redd214 Yeah, I expect DSIII will get discounted. Just not sure about half. Battlefield has more incentive to rope in a player base because it NEEDS player base to exist at all. DSIII doesn't. Plus Battlefield is pure profit and "IAP" at this point, so even at half it's making money. Probably not as true for a smaller studio with a single player game.

Aww, I missed the Hitman sale Though with the half dozen editions of it, and the fact that half the game isn't actually included outside the pass, might pay to wait for half or less so that the $100 actual whole game is the price of a normal whole game.

Yeah, I feel really bad for JC4. 3 was a mess and 4 looked a lot better.....but.....December 4? The same day as Smash, and a month after every other much bigger franchise already launched and had sales? They should have stuck with the FFXV DLCs....

@Anti-Matter Welcome back, BTW!

NEStalgia

Anti-Matter

@NEStalgia
Yo !
Long time no see.

Btw, some questions about PS4 games again.
1. By owning World of Final Fantasy PS4 version in Physical, is that quite enough to feel owning the game in physical even without the MAXIMA DLC since the Switch version came in No Physical release ? I mean the whole gameplay from Beginning until Final Boss, does it exactly same as MAXIMA version ?

2. I still temptated with The Sims 4 : Cats + Dogs Bundle. Before i buy, is that SAME The Sims 4 Base with Cats + Dogs Expansion packs on disk ? If i have The Sims 4 PS4 (The Base) & buy Cats + Dogs DLC from PSN, will it counted as SAME game as The Sims 4 : Cats + Dogs Bundle ?

3. Is Dragon Quest Builders 1 PS4 version have some difference with Switch version ? I mean the game features , not the graphics factor.

Anti-Matter

redd214

@Anti-Matter
1. Yes it's enough
2. That question has been answered for you before, but yes it's the same
3. No gameplay differences

redd214

NEStalgia

@Anti-Matter
WoFF: Yeah, personally I think "Maxima" adds too little to make it a "must have." It does add a few more FF characters, it adds the ability to play as FF characters instead of as Lann and Reyn, and it adds a fishing minigame. If you're happy playing Lann and Reyn and don't feel you're missing out not playing as other favorite FF characters, Maxima doesn't do much. Plus, IIRC, Maxima removes the ability to do Vita remote play for people that bought that so there's a negative to it as well.

Sims 4: I don't own it, so I can't say from experience, but as far as I can tell, physical base + the DLC is the same as the bundle, but I can't say if it's on-disc or just "codes included."

DQ:B: Yep, PS4 and Switch DQ Builders should be identical other than the graphics.

NEStalgia

link3710

@NEStalgia I'm hoping SotC gets better as I play. I just kind of gave up for awhile after the mess that was the 4th collossus. I figured out the solution after about 15 minutes, and it took me an hour and a half of banging my head against the wall to pull it off.

That said, the rest of the games I want to play are a little more niche, so I'm hoping I'll feel more surprised by them. The Digimon Cyber Sleuth games, Persona 5 (Played all the SMT games since Strange Journey, about time I played a Persona), Bloodborne, God of War, and .hack collection are the other few I've picked up on sale to try out that I'm super interested in, so I've got a good variety at least. Plus, I have a few classics from Humble Bundle like Destroy All Human, Dead Rising and Deponia... honestly, I ended up with more games than I know what to do with thanks to forgetting all about the humble bundles until after I got home. It's kind of obscene, I've only paid about $140 in games (counting Spiderman from the bundle as 60) and I have more than I'll likely ever have time to play.

link3710

Octane

@NEStalgia I like Uncharted 2 and 3. 4 was really good IMO. I know people like to rag on it for being ''like a movie, with no gameplay'', but I don't really care. It was entertaining. The 10-12 hours it lasted I had a lot of fun. That's what counts in the end.

The Last of Us is one of the better games of last generation in my opinion. Story, music and characters are all top notch. I quite liked the stealth-survival gameplay; small-scale crafting, and zombies without making it feel too much like a horror game (cause those are a big nope for me ).

The only Sucker Punch game I've played is Infamous Second Son. For a PS4 launch game, it was alright. In hindsight it's like Spider-Man, but with everything turned down a notch. Ghost of Tsushima looks really neat though. I've been asking for a samurai-like game for years. I know there's Nioh, but that's a bit too Dark Souls-y for me. I wish Nintendo did a Murasame reboot or something like that, like a 3D Zelda-like adventure game in feudal Japan made by Nintendo. I'd be all over that.

Octane

Octane

@link3710 You can't force yourself to like a game like Shadow of the Colossus. I always suggest to watch a trailer. If you're intrigued by the concept, give it a shot, if not, then it's probably not for you. I myself love the stuff Team ICO put out, but I know it's not for everyone.

Octane

redd214

@Octane just never been able to get into the Uncharted games. Got 2 when I first got my Ps3, played about half got bored. Played 3 when came to plus, switched it to easy about half way thru just to get it over with. Got 4 in a bundle when they first released the slim, played a couple hours then just watched the rest of the story on YouTube. They're well made, technical marvels but yeah would rather enjoy them as 2 hr movies then 10 + hr games. Fell asleep playing last of us so there's that lol. Don't know why their games just don't click with me.

Sucker punch games are terrific. Not sure Infamous 1 and 2 will age very well but SS is awesome, you should check out the First Light expansion also if you haven't. They've definitely grown a lot and even though the historic Japan theme doesn't appeal to me, will probably buy Ghosts just based on the studio alone.

redd214

EvilLucario

Jumping back to the patent, it seems it was for an already existing Sony device.

Untitled

I don't think the PS5 would swap to cartridges. Switch had to since it was a portable, but home consoles are still fine with discs.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic