Forums

Topic: Nintendo Life Playstation 3 Fan Thread

Posts 3,741 to 3,760 of 9,907

CanisWolfred

Fallout 3 is one of the best RPGs I've played. I suppose it's love or hate, but it's got loads of atmosphere and charm, and the gameplay's pitch-perfect in my opinion. Lots of depth and challenge to it. Not to mention the story's fantastic! I didn't like Oblivion much at all, really. I just couldn't get into the world and gameplay, and the story didn't grab me either. Actually, I can say the same about all of the Elder Scrolls games. Tried all 4 and they didn't do anything for me. Then again, I don't really care for Medievel fantasy settings, meanwhile Post-Apocalyptic is one of my favorites, and it mixes in some juicy retro-future, too! I couldn't get enough of it!

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Bankai

Mickeymac wrote:

Fallout 3 is one of the best RPGs I've played. I suppose it's love or hate, but it's got loads of atmosphere and charm, and the gameplay's pitch-perfect in my opinion. Lots of depth and challenge to it. Not to mention the story's fantastic! I didn't like Oblivion much at all, really. I just couldn't get into the world and gameplay, and the story didn't grab me either. Actually, I can say the same about all of the Elder Scrolls games. Tried all 4 and they didn't do anything for me. Then again, I don't really care for Medievel fantasy settings, meanwhile Post-Apocalyptic is one of my favorites, and it mixes in some juicy retro-future, too! I couldn't get enough of it!

See, that's probably the rub - I'm no fan of post-apocalyptic settings, but medieval fantasy settings? Can never get enough of that.

Shows how important setting and atmosphere are to a game, though. It's the difference between like it and loathe it in some cases - because Fallout 3 and Oblivion are in many ways the same game.

Edited on by Bankai

Dezner

Yay! Atelier Rorona! Let me know how you like it once you get further in!

Wii: 6882-4334-4721-0727 --- PSN: OrangeGouf --- XBL: Orange Gouf

Uguu!

Twitter:

Stuffgamer1

@Waltz: Easy to import? Yes. Easy to import at a cost comparable to an actual American release? Heck, no! It'd just be the same problem I'm having with The Last Window...a game costing $20 more to import than it would to buy locally. Remember, you don't have that problem; games are cheaper pretty much anywhere but Australia. That makes importing easy. Not so much for Americans.

@Slappy: I really don't know...I think that if it were coming, they should have announced it by now. They announced the European release over a month ago for crying out loud! There's really no excuse for not announcing the game world-wide to begin with.

My Backloggery Updated sporadically. Got my important online ID's on there, anyway. :P

Nintendo Network ID: Stuffgamer1

AlexSays

Roopa132 wrote:

Because everything that might not come to America is unimportant?

I can vouch for that

AlexSays

CanisWolfred

Roopa132 wrote:

Stuffgamer1 wrote:

@Slappy: Will you PLEASE stop hyping a game that still hasn't even been announced for release outside of Europe? Seriously, I don't want to hear anything about that game at all unless it's an American release date.

Because everything that might not come to America is unimportant?

Yeah. The PS3 is region free. Stuff, just import it if want it so bad. Otherwise, there's no harm in someone voicing their excitement. Hell, even I didn't complain about the hype for Disaster: Day of Crisis, which I still really want.

Dezner wrote:

Yay! Atelier Rorona! Let me know how you like it once you get further in!

That, Demon's Souls, and Sly 4 are the reasons that I'm getting a PS3 this summer.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Stuffgamer1

@Roopa: Maybe if it was a European person hyping the game, I wouldn't mind so much. I find Slappy's constant optimism aggravating.

@Mickeymac: Check my previous post under "@Waltz" for an explanation of why importing is a less-than-desirable solution to a problem that should, by all rights, not exist in the first place.

My Backloggery Updated sporadically. Got my important online ID's on there, anyway. :P

CanisWolfred

Stuffgamer1 wrote:

@Roopa: Maybe if it was a European person hyping the game, I wouldn't mind so much. I find Slappy's constant optimism aggravating.

@Mickeymac: Check my previous post under "@Waltz" for an explanation of why importing is a less-than-desirable solution to a problem that should, by all rights, not exist in the first place.

If you can't buy it, then don't want it. Besides, the Prince of Persia games aren't exactly hard to come by.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Bankai

Stuffgamer1 wrote:

@Waltz: Easy to import? Yes. Easy to import at a cost comparable to an actual American release? Heck, no! It'd just be the same problem I'm having with The Last Window...a game costing $20 more to import than it would to buy locally. Remember, you don't have that problem; games are cheaper pretty much anywhere but Australia. That makes importing easy. Not so much for Americans.

I don't k ow where you got that from, but until recently, the Australian dollar was only around 0.60-0.80 on the US. That means that until recently, adding in the cost of shipping made importing games from America much more expensive than buying locally. Even now, except for the ultra-new titles, the cost of games in Australia is roughly on par with the US (most of the time our games get marked down quite a lot quite quickly), only again, buying locally means you don't have to pay for shipping.

But if I went on a forum and told people they couldn't talk about game X because I would have to import it, I would be laughed off the forum, and rightfully so. Other people are entitled to get excited about the games they get excited about, whether it's a game I have easy access to or not.

And on top of this, this is one English release game America is not getting this year. One out of how many releases? You guys are spoilt in America, you should appreciate what you have, rather than complain about one game.

Stuffgamer1

@Mickeymac: "If you can't buy it, then don't want it?" Seriously? It's human nature to want things, whether we can always have them or not. That statement is simply absurd. As for the games themselves being easy to find...what the heck kind of good is that? I no longer have a functional backwards compatible PS3, and even if I did the games wouldn't look as good as they do in the collections, not to mention the added Trophy support.

@Waltz: I admit, my understanding of Australian gaming is very patched together. For one thing, every mention of price on Zero Punctuation (the creator of which, as I'm sure you're aware, lives in Australia) is absurdly high, like when he said he paid $100 for Mirror's Edge. Other mentions of game prices on this very site have been similar. Now, seeing as the exchange rate of Australian to American dollars is nearly even, it seems like importing would be obviously cheaper. That is how I arrived at my conclusion.

As far as this particular game is concerned...I've been following it since it was still a rumor, watching and waiting for the dang American release date to finally be announced. The mere mention of the title not in relation to said date is seriously starting to piss me off. Does that make me spoiled? Yeah, probably...but if it helps anyway, it's really the accumulation of such occurrences over the years that's wearing on me more than just this ONE title. I'm sick of games not releasing here, both games that could be imported and those that couldn't. Games for which there are definitely markets, games which are already in English and would cost comparatively little to release here if the companies could only be bothered. But no...they instead prefer to pretend the games don't exist at all when speaking to the markets in which they have chosen not to release the games, not even having so much as the decency to give us a reason WHY, as if they had one to begin with! It feels like a slap in the face, and reminders of that pain are understandably unappreciated.

Edited on by Stuffgamer1

CanisWolfred

Stuffgamer1 wrote:

"If you can't buy it, then don't want it?" Seriously? It's human nature to want things, whether we can always have them or not. That statement is simply absurd. As for the games themselves being easy to find...what the heck kind of good is that? I no longer have a functional backwards compatible PS3, and even if I did the games wouldn't look as good as they do in the collections, not to mention the added Trophy support.

I geez, I'll never understand you humans. Tell me then, what is it that caused you such a reaction when Slapshot "hyped up" this game you can't have? Because obviously I don't understand where you're coming from. I personally don't want things that are outside my financial reach, so I doubt I could relate to your experience.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Bankai

@Stuff, yeah, games here star off quite expensive. About $100 on release (Call of Duty launched at an obscene $120 though). But a week or two later, they're usually down to $60-$80 if you shop around. A month later and only the major games (such as Mario) are over $60.

I have a pert big collection and the only games I've spent over $60 for are imports. I'm happy to wait for most, and $20-$30 is more common for me than $100

That's just how our retail environment works.

Also, please don't take this the wrong way, dude, but America misses perhaps one title in 100 that are translated into English. And as you said, there is a massive market there, so when you miss out on a title, there would be a good reason (legal or otherwise) that keeps it away. Smart businesses are not in the habit of ignoring the American market.

Stuffgamer1

That retail system is quite literally foreign to me. In America, most games retain their release price for at least a couple of months, and it's generally a sign that a game flopped HARD when it drops sooner.

Anyway, I know that we really don't miss out on many games quantity-wise...there's simply an unfortunate tendency for games I was looking forward to not to release here for no obvious reason. It grates on me bad, and I lash out from time to time. I don't mean to be a jerk, really I don't...I just want a global game release system that makes sense to the average consumer.

CanisWolfred

Stuffgamer1 wrote:

That retail system is quite literally foreign to me. In America, most games retain their release price for at least a couple of months, and it's generally a sign that a game flopped HARD when it drops sooner.

Anyway, I know that we really don't miss out on many games quantity-wise...there's simply an unfortunate tendency for games I was looking forward to not to release here for no obvious reason. It grates on me bad, and I lash out from time to time. I don't mean to be a jerk, really I don't...I just want a global game release system that makes sense to the average consumer.

That I can relate to and understand. It does suck when an interesting game doesn't get released in the U.S., but as WaltzElf said, it's usually for a good reason, even if we don't understand it.

Also apparently your name is Zack. Were you aware of this?

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

theblackdragon

@Stuffo, I know you're angry, but please remember that this is an international website. If people want to talk about games that may or may not wind up on our shores, they are more than welcome to here at Nintendo Life.

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

Aviator

Stuffgamer1 wrote:

@Slappy: Will you PLEASE stop hyping a game that still hasn't even been announced for release outside of Europe? Seriously, I don't want to hear anything about that game at all unless it's an American release date.

Well you might be complaining about the lack of releases in America, but your not the only one. There are games released everywhere that don't come to one region or another, and America. PS3 is a system which has no region lock, so what will prevent you from getting the game when the price goes down? Do you really need to buy it full price on release day?

What you mention to WaltzElf is true, we do have it somewhat easy when it comes to importing games. But when you buy, get it shipped over, etc. etc. it can cost more money (in some cases) than going out to purchase a game.

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

Slapshot

http://www.movemodo.com/reviews/2010/11/sly_collection_ps3

My review of The Sly Cooper Collection is now up!

@ Stuff... I get 90% of my gaming info from European sites and didn't realize it wasn't announced here until you said it. The games sell well here so I'm sure we'll get it. If not I will import it. I love these collections. Sorry for the hype though.

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

My Nintendo: Slapshot82 | Nintendo Network ID: Slapshot82 | Twitter:

Stuffgamer1

@Mickeymac: Yes, my name is Zack. What, did somebody temporarily change my screen name while I was away last night?

@TBD: Yes, I know that. I was frustrated because I could have sworn I'd already explained the game's lack of an American release to Slappy, yet he brought it up again as though it had one. Maybe I misremembered, I don't know. Sorry for the outburst, anyway. I certainly didn't mean to start such a heated debate. Of course, I've kind of built a reputation for doing so anyway by now, haven't I?

Anyway, on the semi-plus side is news of the three games being release separately on PSN in America. I'd have preferred the disc, but I'll take the download over having to import any day. It also (sort of) explains why they didn't just announce the collection for America a month ago when they announced it for Europe...we really aren't getting it at all! So to speak.

Objection

MY PS3 RANDOMLY BROKE!

No kidding, I played it for less than 30 minutes today (GTA IV) and it froze, turned itself off. Tried to restart, yellow light flashed then it turned off. Got it back on, then it did the same thing, yellow ring of death and nothing. I've left it cooling (it was slightly hotter than usual but it had plenty of vent room.) Anyone have any advice?

[21:14] pixelman: I blame fheblackdragon
[21:15] pixelman: That's not an f by the way, it's a fancy t.
[21:15] Objection: Tales of Graces "fancy t"
[21:15] Objection: Tinal Tantasy
[21:15] theblackdragon: lol OB
[21:15] pixelman: OB knows what he's asking about.

3DS Friend Code: 1934-0835-3789

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.