Forums

Topic: Nintendo Life Playstation 3 Fan Thread

Posts 9,881 to 9,900 of 9,907

DefHalan

Anyone know of a place to get cheap PS3 controllers? They are still $45 at GameStop used.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

RevolverLink

Off-brand PS3 controllers generally seem to keep pretty cheap, but actual Sony Dualshock 3 controllers are still in the $40-50 range, unfortunately.

The Revloggery

Switch Friend Code: SW-4605-3581-8608 | 3DS Friend Code: 4339-3392-1142 | Nintendo Network ID: RevolverLink

Chibita64

I got Mega Man 8 the other day. It's pretty good, but I hate the voice acting.

Currently playing: J-Stars Victory VS. (PS4), Ms. Pac-Man (PS4), Mole Mania (GB/3DS), Kirby's Dream Land 3 (SNES/Wii)
Currently watching: Hack My Life, Impractical Jokers
YUGAMI NEE NA!

Xyphon22

I just got a PS3 so I can play some of the great games I have missed out on that never came out on Wii or Wii U. I have a couple of questions, with the main one being what are the must get games for it? I think the first game I am going to get is the Sonic Ultimate Genesis Collection just because that has 40 games to tide me over until Gamestop has one of their Buy 2 Get 1 Used deals. The ones I really have wanted to play are Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect, Bioshock, and Ni No Kuni. Are there any others (I especially love RPGs)? I also have some questions about these:
Elder Scrolls - Is it possible to play any of the games before Oblivion on PS3? That is the one I most want to play, I just thought it would be good to play earlier ones if possible.
Mass Effect - Is there a physical version of the original on PS3? I got an original PS3 and so don't have a lot of room to download, and am a little wary of getting the trilogy in case I end up not really liking it.
Bioshock - I saw a Bioshock/Oblivion bundle on 360, but is that available on PS3?
And for all of these, are the "ultimate editions" worth it? Do they just come with all of the DLC included or something like that?
Thanks for any answers and/or recommendations anybody may have.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

Chibita64

Well, what genres do you like? Do you plan on downloading PSN games (or PS2/PSOne games)? BTW, Good thing you got the Genesis Collection. If you don't have them already, I suggest getting the PS2 remaster collections (Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank). Other games that I can recommend are DuckTales Remastered (If you don't have it already), the Journey Collection, LittleBigPlanet. Those games should be about 20 bucks or less.

Currently playing: J-Stars Victory VS. (PS4), Ms. Pac-Man (PS4), Mole Mania (GB/3DS), Kirby's Dream Land 3 (SNES/Wii)
Currently watching: Hack My Life, Impractical Jokers
YUGAMI NEE NA!

Xyphon22

I like just about everything except for most shooters and horror. And looking above, it seems like my original 60 GB PS3 is backwards compatible with both PS1 and 2, is that right? So throw out recommendations for those, too, since the only game for either I have played are sports games and Chrono Cross. Which of the three PS2 collections is the best, because aren't all those series basically like adventure platformers and I probably wouldn't want that many games in the same genre? And I have heard Journey was really good, but I didn't know there was more than one game, let alone a collection. And what would people say is the best Tales of game, because I have loved all 3 of those I have gotten to play on my Nintendo systems (yes, even Dawn of the New World)?

Xyphon22

CanisWolfred

Xyphon22 wrote:

And what would people say is the best Tales of game, because I have loved all 3 of those I have gotten to play on my Nintendo systems (yes, even Dawn of the New World)?

The one that isn't available in English. But after that, Tales of Graces f has a fantastic battle system. The story and characters are enjoyable as well, and the 'epilogue chapter' that's effectively the entire second half of the game, really helps bring it all together. My only major complaint is that the entire game feels clostrophobic - there's not much to explore, and without an overworld, the excessive backtracking gets annoying really quick.

Okay, and the game is ugly, but for once from an art style point of view. It's not as bad as the two Xillia games (which are ugly all around), but the character designs are so haphazard that no one feels like they belong in the same game, nor do any of them really fit the fit the environment. One of them supposedly lives in a desert oasis country, yet he's probably the most over-dressed of the entire main cast. I guess it goes with his "stickler" attitude, but I feel hot every time I see him in his office...

...actually, I just realized how much of the story reminds me of the themes in Trigun. Take that for what you will.

Also, for other recommendations:

• All of the PSOne Classics RPGs on PSN. I think the only one I haven't tried yet is Saiyuki, but that one doesn't look bad, either. Look out for the non-translated games on PSN, though. Unless you know Japanese, you're gonna be in for a bad time. Sony left that door open for Monkeypaw, and accidentally let in all the vermin...
  • I haven't kept up with the PS2 Classics, but IIRC, you've enjoyed Shin Megami Tensei games before, and the PS2 entries are arguably the best in the franchise. Persona 3, 4, Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2, Devil Summoner 1 & 2, and if you're up to the immense challenge, Nocturne.
  • While I'm on the topic of RPGs, some PS3 exclusives: Nier, the Kingdom Hearts Remix games, 3D Dot Game Heroes (more of a Zelda clone, but whatev's), and I guess the later Atlier games...admittedly, I very behind on that franchise. Same with Disgaea, except that franchise never changes. Ever. So if you've never played that before, and don't own a Vita, nor ever intend to get one, then I can safely recommend Disgaea 4. Otherwise don't waste your time, the portable versions are always better.
  • If you like sandbox games like GTA, there's...a lot. Have-at it. You've officially found your Mecca. Red Dead Redemption, GTA 4 and 5 (okay, I though GTA4 sucked...so...GTA5), Sleeping Dogs...exists? It's like, $5 now. Don't bother with the Assassin's Creed franchise. Save yourself the 40 hours of disappoiontment, because Infamous 1 & 2 exist, and Batman Arkham City kicks all of their butts.
  • I prefer Arkham Asylum, mind you. It's a smaller-scale game, more like Metroid in a way. But with Stealth. Lots of Stealth. Like Metal Gear Solid. Do yourself a favor, and get those games. Play those games. Then rant/rave on the internet about the nonsensicle story, only for everyone to blow you off because any and all conversation about those games were used up years ago (except for MGS V, don't bother with the PS3 version of that, even if you somehow get caught up with the franchise before you eventually aquire a more powerful platform to play it on)
  • Ratchet & Clank Cllection, Sly Cooper collection, Jak & Daxter Collection, Killzone Collection, inFamous Collection, plus the download games for each series that came in between, and all 3 Ratchet & Clank Future games.

...I'll stop here, before my hand explodes. You missed three great platforms. There's too much.

You know what, go on wikipedia, print out the lists of games on the PS1, 2, and 3, tape 'em all to a piece of hanging cardboard or whatever, then just start throwing a couple darts at 'em, and ask us about the ones that got poked. At this point, that is going to be a lot more efficient, and easier on your wallet...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Xyphon22

@CanisWolfred Wow, thanks for the suggestions. Yeah, that's a lot of games that I don't have time for. I don't even have time for all the Wii U and 3DS games I want to play, I only popped for the PS3 because I essentially got it for $35. I think I will probably stick with Ni No Kuni for RPGs for now because I have wanted to play that for awhile (and maybe Tales of Graces f if I can find it cheap). Given my lack of time, what is probably the best just pick-up-and-play for a quick bit of fun game?

Xyphon22

CanisWolfred

@Xyphon22 I'm not surprised. Anyways, Tokyo Jungle comes to mind. It's pretty Rogue-ish, though so don't expect an easy time. Clash of Heroes and Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo are my personal faves. I think Pocket Fighter's there, too, if you'd like a "Fighting-lite" game.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Xyphon22

I set it up and messed around for a few minutes last night. The interface is very complicated compared to what I'm used to, but I'm sure I'll get used to this, too. I got excited when I saw Steamworld Heist was in the free section on the store, but it was only a video. I downloaded a demo of Journey. I also couldn't figure out how to turn it off so I just flipped the switch in the back, and when I turned it back on it told me not to do that and how I have to go to the User profile to turn off the console, which seems overly complicated. But the biggest thing is it came with a Dualshock 3 controller with about a 2-foot-long cable, not the biggest issue but will probably get irksome if I want to have a longer Oblivion session or something to sit on the floor that close to the TV. What is the best (and by that I probably mean cheapest) way to get a wireless controller if I even can on my original model?

Xyphon22

Peek-a-boo

@Xyphon22 The DualShock pad lasts ages!

You can probably find plenty of cheap leads on Amazon that goes up to five metres if you are worried about the battery life. I will say that once the 'low battery' notification appears, it usually holds on for a good 90 minutes or so, which gives you plenty of time to plug and charge away.

The XMB UI is brilliant however, the slow and clunky PlayStation store leaves a lot to be desired. You would be better off using the PlayStation store on the website, like I often do.

Enjoy your new toy!

Peek-a-boo

6ch6ris6

@Xyphon22 not sure about oblivion on ps3 but i heard that skyrim is almost unplayable on ps3. all the other elder scrolls games are pc-only except for morrowind which came out for the original xbox, too, but the pc version is superior.

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

Xyphon22

@Peek-a-boo Well would you look at that. The controller works without having to be plugged into the system. Thanks for that. I just assumed it had to be plugged in since it came with a plug (I wondered why you had to plug it into the controller instead of it already being connected). Glad I won't have to buy another controller (although doing some research makes it looks like I need a second controller to unlock Phantasy Star on the Genesis Collection, so that sucks. Why do they have 2, 3, and 4 just on there but you have to unlock the first one?). So does plugging it into the system actually charge the controller, too?

Xyphon22

-SD-

I'm glad that the PS3 is still getting games this far into its successor's life cycle. Bring on BlazBlue: Central Fiction.

SNK - The Future is Now

Peek-a-boo

@Xyphon22 I'm just surprised you didn't know that the DualShock was wireless!

The charging cable is annoyingly short, yes. Thankfully, longer ones are cheap to buy.

Those four square lights on the ridge of the controller lights up and indicates who is who in multiplayer games; I found it very handy when playing Pro Evolution Soccer with friends, back in the day.

And yes, plugging the lead does indeed charge the pad when in play, but like I said, the battery goes on for quite some time before the 'low battery' notification pops up.

@-SD- Yeah, it is great to see! They are mostly indie and Japanese games however, it is enough to satisfy the 'ten year cycle' that each PlayStation console seems to go through.

Peek-a-boo

Xyphon22

Right now I'm mostly excited about all the demos the store has. That's pretty cool. Except that the game I would most want a demo of (Mass Effect) doesn't have one because I would rather not buy the entire trilogy if I'm not going to like it. But anyway, it's still nice. Even more than better online, this might be the one place I wish Nintendo would learn from.

Xyphon22

gcunit

@Xyphon22 Not that you need any more suggestions, but take a look at Valkyria Chronicles as you can probably pick it up cheap used and it's a reasonably unique game.

I was in a similar position as you a year ago. I've never had a PlayStation but picked up a used PS3 last year. Since then I've gone to town on it in terms of buying games (mostly used) but have hardly actually played it. Have a great library now though, it's a great system to pick up at the end of its life. Enjoy.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Xyphon22

Thanks. I've heard that is good. Yeah, I'm not planning on buying a lot right now, but I do have almost all of the Wii U games I want (I just haven't played them yet) and unless it blows me out of the water with a tone of must-have games right at the start, I probably won't buy an NX right away. So I think the PS3 will be a good stopgap for next year. I mean the ones I know I want (Oblivion, Ni No Kuni, and I'll probably still cave and get Mass Effect Trilogy) will probably take me years alone considering how little time I actually have to play games (it literally took me 4 years to beat Xenoblade, and I own but haven't started XCX yet).

Edited on by Xyphon22

Xyphon22

Xyphon22

So I started playing the demo of Journey tonight, and after about two minutes the PS3 started making a lot of noise blowing air. A couple minutes later a message popped up on the TV saying the system was hot and I should shut it off and play later. Before I could figure out how to get out of the game the system shut itself off. Is this normal for a PS3 to get that hot that quickly? Any suggestions for what I could do other than put it in the middle of the floor with nothing within five feet of the system?

Xyphon22

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.