Forums

Topic: Kickstarter - Help Fund Indie Games

Posts 281 to 300 of 609

Shirma_Akayaku

I refuse to help fund indie games if they release a beta of the game. Putting your game out early before it's finished is a death sentence to your game (almost guaranteed). Plus, I'm poor and I live in special housing. I don't even have a debit/credit card, so meh, bite me.

Wi-Fi Game List:
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Splatoon
Super Smash Bros. Wii U & 3DS + All DLC
Mario Kart 8 + All DLC
Mario Golf: World Tour + All DLC
Mario Kart 7
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Wii U & 3DS Game Wish List:...

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9553-9610 | Nintendo Network ID: Toadette75

CanisWolfred

I don't support crowdfunding simply because I'm an end consumer who is only interested in obtaining an end product. I hate pre-ordering, let alone funding a game that could very well end up being crap, and even if it is good, such funding has zero advantages outside of knicknacks and maybe the "honor" of playing the game in an early, unfinished, bug-ridden state.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

rolLTheDice

CanisWolfred wrote:

I don't support crowdfunding because I'm an end consumer who is only interested in obtaining an end product. I hate pre-ordering

I'm not a fan either.

Imo it also often waters down the end product since usually they include something that represents the backers.

Edited on by rolLTheDice

rolLTheDice

Nintendo Network ID: LTD_2112

mystman12

CanisWolfred wrote:

I don't support crowdfunding simply because I'm an end consumer who is only interested in obtaining an end product. I hate pre-ordering, let alone funding a game that could very well end up being crap, and even if it is good, such funding has zero advantages outside of knicknacks and maybe the "honor" of playing the game in an early, unfinished, bug-ridden state.

I think you're forgetting the fact (and the main point) that crowd funding is also what makes a game possible. Your not just pre-ordering and receiving goodies, you're also helping a game become a reality and supporting the developer.

I like makin' games!
Future Pinball games!
Petit Computer games!!
and SmileBASIC games!
Waiting for Kirby Air Ride 2. One day, it will come. One day...

3DS Friend Code: 0259-0292-5888 | Nintendo Network ID: mystman12 | Twitter:

Sleepingmudkip

I don't like crowd funding cause the creater could always change the game or/and the game could be bad

Playing: Wargroove on Switch and Fire Emblem on GBA

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7674-9891 | Nintendo Network ID: lionel1 | Twitter:

Dave24

mamp wrote:

Yogscast's kickstarter was cancelled. They received over 500, 000 dollars and they cancelled development after 2 yrs and apparently they can't refund people's money back.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/winterkewlgames/yogventu...
/

Oh. My. GOD. It's funny as hell. And sad at the same time. And about sad I'm not talking about Kris or anyone associated to that project - I don't care if you are inexperienced, but you must be mentally handicapped to pay the guy upfront and totally not expect this to happen. It's not rocket science or quantum physics, it's common sense.

They fudged this up as much as it is possible and it's only about making exucses for how pathetic he is and how he screwed over anyone who gave money to this guy. Also, there is something fishy about what he wrote - he got twice as much money he wanted and it wasn't enough, and not only that, but it looks like he thinks that those 35 grand would change something, even though it wouldn't at all. It has all the warning signs. I only feel pity for the backers, and this guy not at all.

This shows exactly why people are not trusting kickstarters and are even despising it. And don't even go on with "but it is the only way to make the game" - BS. It is the only way for the creator to do it clean without any responsibility whatsoever.

Dave24

mystman12

I'm really not liking this negativity towards kickstarter lately... People have perfectly good reasons why they would need money. Sometimes I think about how much I'd like to try and make a real game when I get older, but by then I'd have a full time job, responsibilities, and hopefully a family to take care of. The only chance I'd have to work on a game would be during my free time, which would be very little, and lots of that should be spent with my family more than programming. But if I managed to create a successful Kickstarter, I could quit my job and start working full time on a game instead, and the Kickstarter money would basically become my new salary, as well as paying other people to help, ie hiring David Wise to compose the soundtrack. Now I mean, this is just a dream that I'd love to come true, but I probably wouldn't even try to do this just because of how risky it would be.

So sure, Kickstarter is a little risky, but there are some totally honest people who literally can only make a game with Kickstarter, and without it will never be able to make it.

I like makin' games!
Future Pinball games!
Petit Computer games!!
and SmileBASIC games!

CanisWolfred

I'm not saying Kickstarter is bad. I'm saying it's not for someone like me who only wants the games they put out. I can get those games without having to back them, and I get the benefit of having post-release reviews to determine whether or not those games would be worth my time, so why should I even think about backing them when I get nothing out of it except being "involved in the process", which again, has no benefit to me?

And big whoop if the game never goes through. It 's not like it'll be because I didn't give my $5. It'll be because it wasn't an interesting enough concept in the first place. Besides, it's not like there aren't thousands of interesting games already in existance. It's no loss to me.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

mystman12

Oh, alright. I thought you were bashing Kickstarter instead of just giving your personal preference. My bad.

Edited on by mystman12

I like makin' games!
Future Pinball games!
Petit Computer games!!
and SmileBASIC games!

Ultra_Mario1001

My company, Pycabit, will launch a new Kickstarter on August 10th! We have the Wii U set as one of our stretch goals. It's a really cool 3D Fantasy RPG! For more information about the game, check out www.pycabit.com/auraspark.html . If possible, can you guys help us promote it by sharing it with someone else? Thanks!

Ultra_Mario1001

MrWalkieTalkie

Jenny LeClue - Wii U & PS4 support at $250,000
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mografi/jenny-leclue-a-h...

The Hole Story - Wii U / XBOX ONE / PS4 / OUYA support at $30,000
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2020158234/girls-make-ga...

Elysian Shadows - Wii U / XBOX ONE / PS4 support at $260,000
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1945059142/elysian-shado...

Edited on by MrWalkieTalkie

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/Mr.WalkieTalkie
Nintendo Network ID: Mr.WalkieTalkie
3DS Friend Code: 4382-2073-7299

VOTE WONDER-RED FOR SMASH!!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic