Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 34,621 to 34,640 of 42,602

JaxonH

I agree with NES. Budget Switch for Pokémon is the smart play. They know they need to appeal to hard-core gamers but more than that they need to appeal to all these 3DS owners. They will get far more mileage selling to the 10-15 million Pokémon fans who bought a 3DS with a $199 model than they will selling to the fickle hardcore gamers with a $400 Switch that still doesn't offer all the 3rd party games of other systems and still barely matches an X1 on the TV. There will definitely be gamers who appreciate it (as they should- a portable system with that kind of power is mind-blowingly awesome) but it's a much harder sell trying to sway diehard core gamers who care about graphics and FPS (and as such are usually the loyalists who adhere to only one brand of console anyways).

As for Smash, there are going to be TONS of people buying a console for that game. It reaches father than just core Nintendo fans, it reaches the semi core and casual gamers. The ones that didn't go out and buy a Switch year one. That game and Pokémon are going to move serious units. I went up to Minneapolis for training a few years back, and in the seminar/course which only had 8 people in the room, 2 of them told me they bought a Wii U just for Smash. They didn't know what Bayonetta 2 was, or Xenoblade X, or Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. But they knew Smash. The game has a spanning reach, judging by my experience.

And single player matters. Lack of single player in Street fighter V is what killed the game when it launched. Capcom thought all they had to do was provide good online multiplayer. Capcom thought that's all the majority of people cared about. And boy... was Capcom wrong. A mistake they won't be repeating, I can assure you. Single player matters. Even to people who play online, it matters. Especially on a portable console. Yes, the multiplayer will matter more, but lack of solid single player content can slightly hinder, or downright cripple a game, depending on how bad the situation is perceived.

I'm guessing Frag would be right if we were just making a statistically based prediction... but the Spirits mode leaked seems to be single player. And it was green. All green modes have been single player historically. So in this case I actually think it will be a robust game, but I wouldn't fault anyone for guessing otherwise based on the precedent set by Nintendo

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
NS: Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy X, Team Sonic Racing, Assassin’s Creed 3, Darksiders
PS4 / PSVR / Vita / X1 / PC / Rift / GPDwin2 / Wii U / 3DS: [nothing]

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

link3710

@JaxonH Smash Run and Smash Tour were both green modes. Though I do think this one will be single player compatible, neither of those two were.

link3710

DarthNocturnal

You could play Smash Run and Smash Tour in single player... unless the definition of “compatible“ got changed and I didn't get the memo.

Edited on by DarthNocturnal

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

Octane

Budget Switch would've made more sense for Pokemon Let's GO I think. Anyway, how do you guys picture a ''budget'' Switch? Fixed Joy-Con means it cannot play all the games like Mario Party. Smaller system also means smaller battery, and the Joy-Con won't fit on the sides. I don't think a new Joy-Con design is an option. Bigger and bulkier would probably be cheaper, but I'm not sure that's what you want for young children.

Octane

Therad

Octane wrote:

Budget Switch would've made more sense for Pokemon Let's GO I think. Anyway, how do you guys picture a ''budget'' Switch? Fixed Joy-Con means it cannot play all the games like Mario Party. Smaller system also means smaller battery, and the Joy-Con won't fit on the sides. I don't think a new Joy-Con design is an option. Bigger and bulkier would probably be cheaper, but I'm not sure that's what you want for young children.

If you have children you either want something so cheap that you don't care if it breaks or you want it to be able to take a beating. So bigger and bulkier can be better in that regard.

A version with fixed joy cons would be both cheaper to make and more resilient. You would still be able to buy joy cons to connect to it for games requiring joy cons (= more money to Nintendo).

Another way to make a cheaper and more resilient version is to make it non-switching.

A third way is to make a pro and lower the price of the current model. It would be almost 3 years in late 2019, so it shouldn't be out of the realm of possibility.

Therad

gcunit

My hunch is they'll just reduce the price of the original SKU and maybe release a suped up SKU at the original rrp. I don't think they'll want to sacrifice the core Switch features, which are the switching and the split joy cons. Not unless they can produce a simplified device that also has BC with the 3/DS line. If they want to sell it more to kids they need more of that kind of software, and there's a bunch of ready-made stuff there to sell to young SwitchDS users.

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

toiletduck

kkslider5552000 wrote:

You'd be surprised. People actually played Mario Party single player, so of course they do Smash Bros.

I’m definitely not going to buy Smash if doesn’t have any single player value to offer, even though I know it’s a multiplayer game. For local multiplayer I already have MK8 and Mario Party and I won’t come around to playing those often. Besides that, I am not that into online multiplayer and I already have Splatoon for that. Of course, all of those are different games, but still. I know I’m in a minority here with this opinion, but I’m sure I am not the only one thinking like this.

toiletduck

gcunit

I am

I was playing FIFA last night, scored a great goal to go 2-0 up in the first league game of a new season and was just trying to upload footage of it to Twitter when my battery exhausted.

I plugged it in this morning to charge so that I could make some more nice replays of the coal and finish the game, but it's not waking up properly. Just a black screen. The Home button and power button are working, but the OS seems to have crashed. I can't get the Home page up or get back into FIFA. So I guess I'm going to have to reboot and lose that goal and game. I did capture a couple of replays of it, but I wanted to fawn over it from every angle and enjoy the rest of that match.

JaxonH

Yikes

Had that happen to me once about a year ago. Hard reboot solved it. That's horrible timing though.

NOW PLAYING
NS: Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy X, Team Sonic Racing, Assassin’s Creed 3, Darksiders
PS4 / PSVR / Vita / X1 / PC / Rift / GPDwin2 / Wii U / 3DS: [nothing]

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

Alantor28

I don't play sport games, only RPGs, Mario games, Zelda games and more. So what you described won't happen to my Switch hopefully.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6488-5483-0698
PSN: MMX20

Anti-Matter

@gcunit
Yikes !
What happened to your Switch ?

My Top 6 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4/Switch (95)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 + All contents (93)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (90)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90)
6. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo 3DS (89)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

Anti-Matter

@Alantor28
So....
Are you fan of Cute games also ?
Like Animal Crossing , Dragon Quest Builder, Portal Knights, Overcooked, Go Vacation, etc.

My Top 6 games :

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

Alantor28

Anti-Matter wrote:

@Alantor28
So....
Are you fan of Cute games also ?
Like Animal Crossing , Dragon Quest Builder, Portal Knights, Overcooked, Go Vacation, etc.

Uh no. I play Dragon Quest RPGs, Final Fantasy RPGs, and games that interest me.

PSN: MMX20

Anti-Matter

@Alantor28
Ah....
So, FF 7, FF 9, FF X/X-2, FF 12, World of Final Fantasy Maxima, Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon Every Buddy will be Perfect for you.

My Top 6 games :

link3710

@DarthNocturnal Okay, yes. You can play every mode by yourself vs. CPU's in every Smash. But that doesn't make those modes primarily single player, they were clearly aimed at multiplayer.

link3710

gcunit

@Anti-Matter Nothing too awful. I put it down to the battery running out while I was on the 'Post to twitter' screen, so when it woke up again after some charge it just got lost in some kind of twilight zone. I let the battery run down again in the hope that I could then dock it and it would sort itself out (I hadn't docked it the first time, just used a third party charger). I thought it had worked for a moment because it then woke up as normal, but it had quit out of my FIFA game so I had no chance to recover it. Seems back to normal now though, thanks.

Grumblevolcano

With single player I had stuff like Melee's Adventure mode, Brawl's Subspace Emissary and Boss Battles, Event Matches, Smash 4's challenge walls, etc. in mind. Things that while you may be to play co-op, the intention is to give solo players more to do than just playing against CPUs/online players in the main Smash mode.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

IceClimbers

To be fair, unlike with Smash 4 you do get to unlock a ton of characters. That alone is some good singleplayer (or multiplayer) content. Not enough obviously, but it should give the game a bit more longevity for those playing solo.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Mew

No matter what the unlock system is, I'm using my Marth amiibo right away. Gotta have my swordies

the official callie of nintendo life

Nintendo Network ID: SmasherMew

Grumblevolcano

@IceClimbers Depends on the unlock criteria, it's not good single player content if the requirements are "Play X matches". If you have to play 600 matches to unlock Ridley for example you're better off using amiibo or the 1 stock SD strategy to unlock characters.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic