Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 34,601 to 34,620 of 69,964

Farmboy74

Personally my kids are rocking Moto G4 phones, which are very good at running YouTube and Netflix. The new G6 Play in the Uk can be brought from Amazon for £149.00. The beauty of android mobile phones is prooviding you have the right TV you can cast what your watching to the TV.
YouTube on the Switch is nice but is it essential i again personally would say no

Farmboy74

electrolite77

It’s not essential but it’s impossible for it to be anything other than A Good Thing.

It increases the perceived value of the system for those who will (or even think they might) use the App. If it pushes even one sale of the system over the line it was worth it.

Meanwhile there is nobody who is not going to buy a Switch because of an entirely optional YouTube app.

It would be better still if it had Netflix, Prime Video etc. I’m not sure phones are the competition but video streaming apps make Switch much more competitive against potential tablet purchases.

Xbox Gamertag - GJB77XBOX

Playstation ID - GJB77

Switch friend code - SW-5907-7972-1196

Nintendo network Username - GJB77

Grumblevolcano

@IceClimbers I don't agree yet as the 1.2.0 update content isn't finished, if like the content finishes and then we hear nothing or Nintendo starts repeating the old hint art then sure but while there's new content coming I think there's a chance.

As for why wait so long to announce? Maybe the kingdoms would use the outfits we've been getting with the 1.2.0 update like how Another Dimension in Kirby Star Allies uses every single dream friend.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

3DWaffles

@Therad
I wouldn't buy my kids a phone for entertainment screen too small and mobile gaming my opinion sucks. Tablets have better qualities about them vs cell phone primarily viewing its a lot better. All jokes aside regardless my son loves watching his mom play Mario Odyssey we have Mario games on his 2ds he don't really show interest in those. Honestly Nintendo does a great job for marketing games towards kids vs any other console manufacture or gaming device in general.

Edited on by 3DWaffles

3DWaffles

HobbitGamer

@subpopz And, that's why I can't see that user's posts...utter nonsense.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Nemodius

@subpopz
I did my homework and I also said "possible", repeatedly, because it is a legitimate threat, not a guarantee,
you don't think I just made up those numbers do you ???
why so hard pressed against me anyway ??? I came up with legitimate data that disagrees with your personal feelings, no big deal, but it's like you are taking my experience in the business world* as a personal attack on your gut feeling

(*"Business Experience", in physics you have to get not only data and confirm it but present it to those big business corporate higher ups and convince them to fund/continue funding, so yes, I have experience in business mechanics)

as for some others, just because you ignore a person's comments that they don't agree with doesn't make information any less valid or legitimate

Edited on by Nemodius

"If failure is the greatest teacher, how come we are not the most superior beings in the universe ???"

Therad

3DWaffles wrote:

@Therad
I wouldn't buy my kids a phone for entertainment screen too small and mobile gaming my opinion sucks. Tablets have better qualities about them vs cell phone primarily viewing its a lot better. All jokes aside regardless my son loves watching his mom play Mario Odyssey we have Mario games on his 2ds he don't really show interest in those. Honestly Nintendo does a great job for marketing games towards kids vs any other console manufacture or gaming device in general.

You talked about the general case but now you switched to your personal preference. The typical parent won't look for a game console, they will look for a phone or tablet. Your personal disgust against mobile games won't change that. Nintendo isn't the goto device anymore, cheap android phones are.

Fun fact, you can find both bigger tablets and phones for a cheaper price than the switch. And you can afford 2 of them.

Another fun fact, most gamers are mobile gamers now. They might not see themselves as gamers, and people on these boards won't, but they are by definition a gamer.

Edited on by Therad

Therad

Therad

Nemodius wrote:

@subpopz
I did my homework and I also said "possible", repeatedly, because it is a legitimate threat, not a guarantee,
you don't think I just made up those numbers do you ???
why so hard pressed against me anyway ??? I came up with legitimate data that disagrees with your personal feelings, no big deal, but it's like you are taking my experience in the business world* as a personal attack on your gut feeling

(*"Business Experience", in physics you have to get not only data and confirm it but present it to those big business corporate higher ups and convince them to fund/continue funding, so yes, I have experience in business mechanics)

as for some others, just because you ignore a person's comments that they don't agree with doesn't make information any less valid or legitimate

The only one that knows how many people are using netflix on Nintendo consoles are netflix. The same company that haven't ported their app to the switch. What does that tell your business sense?

Therad

NEStalgia

I really don't understand the push for Netflix. It's a proprietary subscription service for $132/yr + taxes that, while popular, is far from ubiquitous. It's just the Netflix/Nintendo cross section that wants that. Meanwhile YouTube TV works on XBox and not Switch, nor WiiU, nor Playstation 4. It does work on XBox One because any Win10 app works on XBox One because it's just UWP apps. You can't support every subscription service that exists (why is Hulu even there), and even if you support "the most popular ones" that still does nothing for the half of the population using "less popular ones." Sure, Wii did it, but Wii was going for the whole "interactive TV environment" thing, with WiiU having a remote built in. XBox One had the "All in One" TV thing going on for it so they focused on supporting such things (though they probably regret it, that was a Mattrick era biproduct.) PS4 stripped off most of the media functionality entirely down from the "It only does everything" mantra of PS3. They put their own services on it and restricted most others. Getting into subscription service apps is a losing game, and Sony takes no heat for them eliminating even simple DLNA support.

YouTube is universal, hosts Nintendo's own content, and has utility to gaming, with both trailers/marketing material, guides, howtos, and game streams. And Alex. YouTube makes sense.

NEStalgia

link3710

@Grumblevolcano Well, there is other dream friends that were datamined, but everyone seems to have their own opinion over how they'll be given out, if at all.

It's the Jambastion Mages. They were marked as part of the 3rd dlc wave, but we haven't heard that they're actually in it. They might be a secret reward for this new mode though or something.

@Nemodius I think the only one with a grudge here is you. I too am curious where you came up with those numbers for 11 million people who use their Wiis / Wii U. So I have my own sources for you and @subpopz

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/1-million-netflix-user...

Near the end of the Wii's lifespan, we know 1 million people had logged into Netflix on Wii at least once. Okay, that's not nearly enough data, so let's keep looking:

https://www.engadget.com/2011/07/28/25-percent-of-netflix-use...

So apparently in 2011, 25% of streaming from Netflix was done via Wii. That's a huge amount, and not too surprising giving how many people had Wii's vs Smart TVs back in 2011.

https://www.businessinsider.com/netflix-subscribers-chart-2017-1

Per Statista, they had 23.53 million subscribers in 2011, so that suggests at the Wii's peak, it had approximately 6 million people streaming on it (not necessarily as their only device) However, this is the newest data we have. So given 7 years have passed with the Wii off the market, that number has certainly decreased significantly as people have gained new primary devices.

The Wii U is a harder topic, as Netflix has refused to release any data about how well the Wii U app did. About all we know is 'Not Well'. Assuming it had a similar attach rate to the Wii, we're looking at well under a million people who used it at all at it's peak. 3DS is in a similar but worse situation, in that it's app was viewed as a novelty rather than a real way to watch movies. It's numbers are likely negligible for the purposes of this argument with how the number of Wii users likely dwarfes it still to this day.

So with all that under consideration, I'd say there's probably between 1 and 2 million users who still actively use the Wii, 3DS or Wii U at absolute BEST. Even if we were to take the peak of Wii and Wii U combined, that's still at best 8 million users. There's no way that 11 million users are using Nintendo devices now at all, never mind as their only or primary access method.

link3710

Nemodius

@subpopz
business insider, cnet and geek and several others had given corresponding numbers to the ones I mentioned, I googled everything, what are YOUR sources for your gut or bias preference ???

"If failure is the greatest teacher, how come we are not the most superior beings in the universe ???"

Grumblevolcano

@link3710 I figured they'd be a reward for beating the new mode, if they weren't dream friends I don't think they would've been in the dream friends image at the end of the trailer.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

3DWaffles

Regardless everyone here has purchased some sort of device that does more then what it intended for. Because of functions and features you paid for it i've paid for it point is people pay for the convince. I went and got an i phone 6 its cheap and it does more than what i intended to use it for. I don't know about people here i wouldn't have paid for it if i couldn't use it as an mp3 player, camera, games, or check email ect... Will i use all the features no but i wouldn't have brought it either or paid same value for something that does less even if it did what it was only intended for.

3DWaffles

Nemodius

@link3710
you know what, there was a slight flub, I meant to put a "$" in front of the "11 Million", but simple context clues suggested it was the number of $$$ lost /mo, and I do admit, the number are based on the 2017 fiscal, not 2018, but is likely not changed, but I will fix the number and put the "$" in front of it
me not getting insulted when someone points out a flub in my data

Edited on by Nemodius

diwdiws

@Nemodius link please, so that the sources
You mentioned can speak for themselves

diwdiws

Eel

I know at least one person who used their Wii exclusively to watch Netflix on their old tube tv while in their business.

I'm sad for them. They'll lose that.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Nemodius

@Yosheel
yikes, a CRT, wow, talk about not getting the full picture resolution benefit of the Wii, bummer
Roku does have a version that has A/V cable hookups, so they should be ok, just tell them about it

Edited on by Nemodius

Eel

To be fair if you're gonna use a Wii, you might as well use a crt.

The games will look better.

Anyway, she's a hair stylist. And upgrading the tv is not exactly her top priority.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Nemodius

@Yosheel
Roku is not an upgrade per se', but it will give her access to streaming media services and the cheap one with A/V cable is only $35, she can handle it, no monthly fees either, just the regular cost of whatever she has (Netflix in this case)

Edited on by Nemodius

Qwertyninty

Is there a difference between skyforce reloaded and skyforce anniversary? They are both the same price on e-shop

Qwertyninty

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic