Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 30,161 to 30,180 of 70,008

Grumblevolcano

@toiletduck I think it'll depend on how well these games sell. If these do well enough you're more likely to see more of it. Like DOOM sales will probably factor into whether Switch gets DOOM Eternal for example. If Wolfenstein II does badly, you're probably not going to see the upcoming Wolfenstein game (sure there was that retail "leak" but it may not be true, see Splinter Cell appearing in the Walmart leak for example).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

gcunit

I'd pay more to get the whole of Wolfenstein 2 on a game card. Wish that was an option. The forced download is what's stopping me getting it yet.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Haruki_NLI

Okay so...ShopTO HAD Ys VIII. The only other place is...

Amazon...

Okay given Crash isn't arriving until Monday (Because of course it is!!!!) and half the time they deliver to the wrong p***ing street, they are the absolute last resort!

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

NEStalgia

@JaxonH "I agree. It's like people have been conditioned to think anything less than PS4 or Xbox One level visuals is unacceptable, not worth playing, yada yada yada."

Marketing works, I guess. I see the point. If you can get the same actual game for much less money on a system that runs it better, the only argument for the Switch version is because you want it portably (or of course because it's actually playable on switch with motion controls versus sticks, but I digress....) I imagine most of the people complaining about the visuals are people who do not undock their switch - ever. And there's plenty of the "I don't want a handheld I just want a home console from Nintendo" crowd....which is fine, Switch is meant to be that, (and in the US specifically promoted as a home console first and foremost, that just has the option to take it outside the home, even if we know it's bull.) For that crowd...well..yeah, why would you pay twice as much for a worse looking version of the game (ok..again...motion controls....but work with me here )

Maybe Nintendo shot themselves a little by doubling down on the "home console you can take with you" thing. They don't do that in Japan.

Plus keep in mind the industry group survey that showed, overwhelmingly, by far, the #1 important factor to game consumers is graphics. The majority of game consumers don't buy games to have the best gameplay or story or potability, most buy games to look the prettiest. It's stupid and it's frustrating, but such is the people who keep the lights on at the studios.....and we get these arguments as a result.

For me, I own all 3 consoles. Portability wins on this title. Motion REALLY wins on this title. but if I didn't actually use the Switch portably, yeah I doubt I'd pay twice as much for a worse looking version so they have a point. (well, ok, motion controls for shooters....I really struggle with shooters on sticks these days...my mouse instincts have returned thanks to Splatoon.)

"I dont remember all this hogwash every time a game came to Nintendo Wii. Or the Vita. Or even the 3DS."

Oh, I remember it on Wii. Vita had such few games and got such little discussion, but it did get a pass on the crossplay games (Sony fandom FTW!), and 3DS didn't really get any console crossovers so it was sort of immune

" What would reactions be if Wolfenstein 2 was a Switch exclusive? Probably amazing."
I'll choose, "Endless whining" for 500, Alex.

NEStalgia

JaxonH

@NEStalgia
It's only less money though because its been out half a year. And anyone looking at choosing between the 2 clearly doesnt own the game yet, which means they waited until now and still haven't bought it.

Which means they should have no problem waiting for Switch to likewise drop price. If they're willing to wait for a lower price on another system, why wouldn't they do the exact same thing for the Switch version?

At the end of the day, its slightly better looking TV only version vs TV + handheld + portable console version with motion that still looks 95% as good. It's not even a choice for me. Switch every time. As long as the game isn't averaging 15fps, we're good.

I run Assassins Creed 4 and Alan Wake in GPD Win 2, and they dont look or run as good as Wolfenstein 2 on Switch. But they still look good to me, even on very low settings they look excellent on a small screen.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Alber-san

Can someone help me? Whenever I dock my Switch it starts lagging in online games such as Rocket League or Fortnite. Works flawlessly on handheld mode so it can't be because of bad connection. Any ideas?

Edit: Solved it by connecting to a 5Ghz Wifi band. Still find it weird how it worked fine on handheld but not docked.

Edited on by Alber-san

Switch FC: SW-4227-6363-7321
Online games:
Rocket League, Splatoon 2, NBA Playgrounds, Fortnite

Favourite single player games:XC2, Skyrim, TLoZ: BotW

NEStalgia

@JaxonH Yeah, heck people complained about Xenoblade 2 on handheld mode versus TV mode....I'm playing it and it looks great to me, even compared to TV mode. Maybe I haven't hit the bad parts yet, but I don't see the complaints (or it's been patched since they played it which is possible.) The art style lends itself to look kind of like Gravity Rush on the Vita.

If I were playing only on the TV, if I didn't care about motion controls, sure I'd buy the X1 version and have it look its best. So I can see why some people wouldn't be pleased, but, yeah, Bethesda didn't port this because they thought Nintendo shouldn't be left out of the home consoles getting the game, they ported it because id Software games on a freaking handheld is awesome, and is only possible for the first time now, plus it doubles on TV duty too.

NEStalgia

Buizel

@NEStalgia Maybe you'll never have a problem. I completed Xenoblade 2, spending a lot of time in handheld mode, and never had a problem myself. Resolution drops are noticable, but IMO the game is so damn beautiful anyway that a bit of blur doesn't bother me too much - especially on such a small screen. It's still higher than Xenoblade 1 resolution, afterall.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

NEStalgia

@Buizel Indeed. @Ralizah so far so good still with how it looks still! I haven't noticed real frame drops either. Some stupid quests that give you no idea where to go but involve wading through lv46 monsters.....but nothing performance wise

NEStalgia

link3710

I just looked at that comparison of Crash and wow. How are people still arguing that it's worth getting the PS4 over the Switch version? Even the majority of the changes between the two look better on Switch imo. And Wolfenstein 2 looks absolutely amazing as well, definitely going to purchase that whenever I finish up the Octo Expansion. Just have to finally finish that last boss...

link3710

veeflames

@DarthNocturnal Wow, the Switch is (or was, apparently) $399 in Canada? That's pretty pricey, and here I'm thinking I almost broke my "college student" bank when I brought my Switch back in May of 2017.
And a price drop of $20? I mean... well, that's something, I guess? A packet of Oreos, perhaps?

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

GrailUK

Has anyone downloaded Renegade Arcade Archives? Really would like to know if the western version has the Kunio-Kun game like the Japanese one. Thanks in advance

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

rallydefault

subpopz wrote:

@gcunit I totally agree. Getting so tired of it. You don't see this same kind of putting down for anything else. PC games run and look better than PS4, yet you don't see the same comparison there. Games on PS4 that only get 30fps, yet 60fps on PC is excused. That drop in fps is okay on PS4 because it's deemed not a fair comparison due to hardware differences. And because it's a PS4. It's an incredible double standard.

@JaxonH People have been conditioned to look at numbers first, whether they can actually perceive the difference or not.

You'll drive yourself nuts trying to understand/fight against this mentality.

Honestly, I haven't visited other major sites/forums and their comment sections for most of my time owning Switch thus far, and it's freeing not having to read that garbage constantly.

My advice: don't put yourself in a position to have to read that crud. Those people will always be out there posting the same nonsense. Just let them rot in their weird angst.

rallydefault

JaxonH

@rallydefault
I mean, I get it. Games like Wolf2 and DOOM are lower res. They're not up to scratch on the TV compared to other Switch games. They're playable for sure, but I totally understand someone wanting a nice, sharp, crisp version to play. I do. And even I myself like keeping a copy of each on X1X for home play.

But when it comes to playing games portably, here's your options: you can play Candy Crush on your phone.... or.... you can play DOOM on your Switch, you can play Wolfenstein 2 on your Switch... I know which one I'm going with.

But really, those 2 are kind of the exception. Most other games actually DO stack up well as console games, even against PS4 versions. Look at Dragonball Fighter Z- 1080p and 60fps, practically can't even tell the difference. AND you get the portable play. Or Skyrim- the game on Switch looks dang near as good as the PS4 version. Or Resident Evil Revelations 1 and 2. Can hardly tell them apart. Or LA Noire...

So 95% of the time there isn't really much compromise anyways. Only a small handful of Switch games really have to make substantial sacrifices, and DOOM and Wolf 2 are the ones that really come to mind. But that's ok, because they're still fun as heck, and the best portable FPS experience money can buy. The alternative is... Borderlands 2 on a PS Vita? With missing buttons, insane amounts of texture pop in (even on the MENU screen for goodness sakes), rear touchpad zones to tap for buttons and corners of the actual screen to tap for buttons...

Ya. No thanks.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Haruki_NLI

There is a third portable option admittedly.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Grumblevolcano

As long as big 3rd party multiplatform games continue to come to Switch, there will be comparisons to the other versions of the specific games and it'll only get more extreme when Microsoft (and likely Sony) announce their new hardware in 2020. The question becomes to what extent these comparisons put people off buying the Switch versions.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ralizah

@NEStalgia I'm glad you're enjoying Xenoblade 2, and, honestly, if you don't notice the extreme resolution dips, then all the more power to you! I wish I didn't notice. How far into the game are you?

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Toy_Link

That Hotel Transylvania 3 tie-in was on the US EShop early in the morning when I woke up and disappeared an hour or two later. Does anyone know why it was delisted?

Edited on by Toy_Link

Legal threats that have gone nowhere: 1

Lroy

GrailUK wrote:

Has anyone downloaded Renegade Arcade Archives? Really would like to know if the western version has the Kunio-Kun game like the Japanese one. Thanks in advance

I think @Meppi64 already answered a query along these lines in the Switch Arcade Community thread. Short answer, I believe, is yes. You get both versions 👍

Edited on by Lroy

🇬🇧 Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
🇬🇧 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast 🕹 | 🚀
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

meppi64

@GrailUK @Lroy
Ah, didn't see this.

Yes, the game included both Kunio-Kun and Renegade in Europe and most likely everywhere else as well.
It's a bit like the Donkey Kong release where you get a Japanese option as well as an overseas option on the title screen to choose between.
Been playing it a little bit, but the game is so brutal! Never played a Kunio-Kun game that was this unforgiving and I've played a ton. Even imported a Japanese 3DS so I could buy them all again, alongside Picross 3D2.
I even put the game on easy and haven't been able to het past the first group of enemies.

meppi64

Switch Friend Code: SW-8347-9726-5976 | My Nintendo: meppi64 | Nintendo Network ID: meppi64

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic