Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 1,821 to 1,840 of 70,052

WebHead

@GrailUK would probably need the box to use external hard drives. And for local multiplayer for connecting multiple handheld units.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

DefHalan

I am so confused on what this rumor is supposed to be. People were talking about a portable that would plug into a base, now we are talking about a tablet like device with two Wii Remote controllers that attach/detach from the sides for two player gameplay. Both these ideas sound terrible. The only thing good about it would be a powerful handheld, but I don't know if the market will like that idea. At this point, I really hope these are only rumors.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

GrailUK

@GrailUK @FragRed Agreed. I rather like this idea but those controllers look awful and limited.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Octane

@BiasedSonyFan I think there's still room for dedicated portable devices, but that's what the 3DS is. This is what exactly? A successor to the Wii U, yet a portable device that is supposed to cater to the mobile market; a jack of all trades, master of none, or even worse. I just can't imagine that there exists a market bigger than the Wii U userbase that wants something like this.

If your post was sarcasm, please tell by the way, I can't tell!

@DefHalan Same here, I find it difficult to imagine what gap in the market this device will fill.

Octane

FragRed

@GrailUK Those controllers shown in the Eurogamer image is just an idea of how it looks, I would imagine Nintendo has more about them then just slotting on two Wii remotes and calling it a day... or at least I hope they do.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

DefHalan

@Octane It just sounds like the only place it will succeed is as a successor to the 3DS. So the Wii U is being left to die, no home replacement for the most part, and mobile might be easier to port to this device... Isn't that exactly what people didn't want? I use to say the Wii U was too early to replace but Nintendo decided not to support it and kill it off early. Now they are replacing the 3DS and not going to have a second pillar?

GrailUK

@FragRed true...tell ya what though, if they detach and slot in to all those older generation controllers like that patent showed then wowsers!

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

TuVictus

@DefHalan Pretty much how I feel. This sounds like it would only be bought by the biggest of the biggest Nintendo fans. Others will see either an extremely expensive handheld or a very underpowered home console. If you ask me, it's a lose lose situation if it is real.

TuVictus

DefHalan

@Operative Like you said "a jack of all trades, master of none"

Not saying the product couldn't sell, just I don't see the appeal yet.

TuVictus

I wouldn't see it reaching gamecube levels, honestly.

TuVictus

FragRed

@Operative I don't see it reaching Wii U levels, let alone GameCube. Not if the current leaks are to be true.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

WebHead

So I now think the control pads would be included so I'd expect $250 for portable and $300 for portable+box

WebHead

WebHead

@DefHalan yeah if this is legit=Nintendo more or less giving up in pure home consoles.

WebHead

DefHalan

WebHead wrote:

yeah if this is legit=Nintendo more or less giving up in pure home consoles.

I don't even see this rumor as a possible home console for people. Basically if you aren't interested in the portable side then why are you going to buy this machine? If this is true, then Nintendo is leaving the Home Console market completely

Octane

@BiasedSonyFan That's true, but if this rumour is true, then I don't think Nintendo is bothered with making a console with up-to-date performance. To be honest, I have difficulty seeing how this even is a home console at all. Will it co-exist with the 3DS, are they both portables then? Looking at the processor, it certainly seems to be a portable first, and yes, ~$250 is not cheap for a portable system.

Octane

-Green-

So now we wait...again. woohoo.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

blaisedinsd

I agree that this EG rumour if true equals a massive fail approaching virtual boy levels.

SW-7087-5868-6390

dtjive

I think I actually hate the sound of the idea... As someone else said "who is this actually catering to?"

dtjive

WebHead

@DefHalan it's effectively a high powered Nintendo Vita that can play on the TV. I do imagine there's at least some truth to this rumor, EG is one of the most reliable places on the net. Kotaku who is also known for accurate leaks is backing this claim too.

WebHead

DefHalan

@WebHead that is too bad. I really hope this isn't true. Having an ability to stream to a TV is one thing. A dock to play on the TV with a separate controller, detachable controllers, no Wii U replacement. These are terrible ideas on my opinion. I will rry to keep an open mind when they show it but this just sounds like what I would want to replace the 3DS after the Wii U was replaced. Not now, not without a Home Console.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic