Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 1,101 to 1,120 of 70,011

skywake

@Project_Dolphin
When you say I don't comprehend your post? I think that's fair. Because in that last response you argued two entirely different points. Then also made a point about how you just assumed we meant literally a PS4 clone when we said it could match the PS4. Apparently having and not having BluRay playback is a "gimmick". And you claim I'm the one being obtuse!

In the post a few pages back when you had a go at us? When you said we were saying the NX was a "PS4 clone" and that it would therefore be DOA. With all of the doom and gloom you could muster. We were only talking about the GPU's amount of horsepower. You then said that the NX needed to have some kind of gimmick... like the Gamecube had... which was confusing. Firstly because nobody was saying it wouldn't have some kind of hook. Then because that word "gimmick"....

Untitled

A gimmick is a "trick" a console does that the others don't. So these things are gimmicks:
The WiiMote, the GamePad, the Kinect, the N64 having rumble and the analogue stick. Optical media was a gimmick on the original Playstation because it opened the console up to new games not possible on the other systems. DVD playback on the PS2 and BluRay playback on the PS3 were gimmicks because their competitors couldn't do those things. Even the four controller ports on the N64 I'd call a gimmick given that "party games" were something only it could really do. And on the original XBox the HDD was what I'd call a "gimmick" at the time it launched.

These things may be selling points but they are NOT gimmicks:
A lower price point, exclusive games, a different amount of horsepower. Having different capacity disks or a different shaped/sized console itself. The decision to include or not include a LAN port. In this day-and-age the decision to include or not-include BluRay playback. Really anything that has become an industry standard is not a gimmick. It can't be a unique trick if it's not a novelty anymore.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

skywake

@Project_Dolphin
The "features listed" were largely internal hardware specs. Hell, we both even made a point of saying the NX may or may-not have a gimmick of some kind. But the bigger point was that the NX needs to differentiate itself in terms of software more than anything else. You were the one who called what we were talking about a PS4 clone based purely on us saying "x86, home console, more powerful than the Wii U". Even though we opened the door to some kind of unique feature aka "gimmick"

Then after listing that thing you had a go at us for our speculation of what the NX should be. That our list of things it should contain lacked a "gimmick". That "even the Gamecube had a gimmick". Except it didn't. And now you're still trying to argue that point for some reason. All because you don't want to admit that you were wrong. Either that or you want to put the NX in a grave before we even know for sure what it actually is. The way you respond to people's posts it's like nobody can say anything even remotely positive.

I mean listen to yourself. You're trying to argue that the fact that the Gamecube had no gimmicks was a gimmick. Which meant it did have a gimmick. It's a farce. Anyways, to make you happy here's my predictions for the NX. Two entirely different predictions:

Not a PS4 clone:

• x86
  • exactly the same hardware specs as the PS4
  • exactly the same software
  • everything exactly the same in general, same case and the lot
  • Red
  • No Blu-Ray playback

PS4 clone version:

• x86
  • A GPU more powerful than the Wii U
  • Unique software
  • Possibly some kind of gimmick

Edited on by skywake

Octane

Project_Dolphin wrote:

Whatever the reasons are for Nintendo software being the best-selling software on Nintendo consoles, I don't think that will change with the NX. When gamers buy Nintendo consoles, they mostly buy them to play Nintendo video games, anyway. Adding third-party software isn't going to make the NX much more appealing to most gamers.

I know. And you've said this several times already. And this needs to change. There aren't much people left who only buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games. Something has to change. It's a lot more complex than just releasing a Nintendo box with FIFA and COD. You need either exclusives, more horsepower, new first party games, a complete new marketing overhaul etc. And preferably a combination of those selling points. Is it easy for Nintendo to succeed like that? Probably not. Do they have to try? Probably yes, because I don't see any other viable option if they want to remain a home console manufacturer.

Octane

GrailUK

The National Enquirer has reported that the Nintendo NX was developed using alien parts left over from the now abandoned Area 52 project. It seems microwaves and a next gen console were all scientists could backwards engineer from a flying saucer. They were hesitant to report this news but recently it was backed up by another source...the Daily Sport in the UK.

http://www.quitwiththerumoursalready.com/now/please/thanks-ve...

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

WebHead

@GrailUK you got something better for us to talk about in this section?

Edited on by WebHead

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

GrailUK

@WebHead touché

WebHead

@GrailUK zip it then

But yeah sounds interesting. A Pascal based tegra chip could theoretically bring Wii u power to a portable and such.

WebHead

Grumblevolcano

@WebHead How about grass? The NX's tech demo will be Link riding Epona through various grassy regions.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

WebHead

@Grumblevolcano fun fact: 3DS was originally gonna use a tegra SoC but Nvidia underperformed so the switched to the current setup.

WebHead

DefHalan

@Project_Dolphin i am confused by which console supported external hard drive that generation and the PS2 didn't have built in internet at launch either. The only things that sick out in my mind as different for the GameCube generation was the CDs it used and the controller shape.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

DefHalan

@Project_Dolphin I feel like Microsoft did the same thing, but they still had multimedia options, they just didn't advertise much

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

WebHead

Man what a beast portable if true. Tegra X1 stomps Vita, even K1 is markedly more powerful. If they can fit the Tegra X1 in as well as 2 or 3 gigs of RAM Wii U ports should be a non issue mostly, especially with a sub HD screen.

WebHead

GrailUK

@WebHead So...NX1 then?

WebHead

@GrailUK NX. N stands for Nvidia. X stands for X1.

WebHead

GrailUK

@WebHead Confirmed lol

skywake

Project_Dolphin wrote:

I didn't argue that. You did. You started with the false assumption that the GameCube had no gimmicks whatsoever, then patted yourself of the back for setting up a contradiction. That's not what I did.

I did not start anything. I only said the Gamecube lacked gimmicks because of what you said. When we said that the NX would probably be more powerful than the Wii U. When we said it would make sense for it to be x86 based. That it would then probably differentiate itself in terms of software for the most part. That's when you said this nugget

Project_Dolphin wrote:

There is nothing unique about this platform. Even the GameCube featured gimmicks that made it stand out from its competition, for better or for worse.

That was when I called you out on that statement. Because the Gamecube was the definition of a gimmick-less console. It had no party tricks. It was cube shaped and had various technical quirks hidden to the average consumer but that was it. If in the early 2000s someone asked what a Nintendo console would be? The boring and dry technical guys would probably just list off the Gamecube's feature list. That's how "gimmick free" the hardware was.

It lacked a network/internet port out of the box but so did the PS2. It lacked any kind of internal storage but so did the PS2 and Dreamcast. Its controller was uniquely shaped but it was still ABXY, triggers and dual analogue and it at least wasn't as crazy as the N64. It didn't support DVD playback but neither did the Dreamcast and from memory the XBox didn't support it out of the box. The things it lacked were things that were yet to become the "expected features" they were 3-5 years down the road.

If the Gamecube launched today? You'd be complaining about how it doesn't have any gimmicks. I know this because you're doing the same about our speculations in regards to the NX. Speculations which by their very nature either lack any kind of gimmicks or are probably a bit too crazy to be real.

Edited on by skywake

Grumblevolcano

@Project_Dolphin Those aren't gimmicks, if anything from that generation could be considered a gimmick it would be the ability for you to listen to CDs and watch DVDs on the PS2 and Xbox.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

GrailUK

@Project_Dolphin Ye, the gamecube wasn't the most powerful console that gen, but it did allow something kooky where it could replicate an asset a lot easier than its competitors. So, we got Pikmin and Rogue Squadron (with all the tie fighters etc!!). There is a fine line between design feature and gimmick. Was this feature designed to allow devs to explore game ideas or to capture public attention. I think the Wiimote had sufficient enough design elements to successfully allow their game concepts to flourish. Yes they gathered crowds but I find both the above examples to have far too much research and development associated to be passed off as a gimmick. The handle on the gamecube? Heck ye. Gimmick. Was it essential? No way!

IceClimbers

@Project_Dolphin The mini discs were NOT a trick to attract attention. That was Nintendo being dragged kicking and screaming to optical media while insisting to use proprietary media. They still use proprietary media.

The only "gimmicks" on the Gamecube are the handle and the disabled 3D functionality.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic