Forums

Topic: The Switch Recommendations Thread

Posts 161 to 180 of 2,207

darthstuey

@SKTTR numbers 1-5 and 12. That's just my opinion but bear in mind games like oxenfree can be bought much cheaper on an iPad if you have one.

darthstuey

Twitter:

darthstuey

@Inertiacreep more than half of them score very highly amongst reviewers and users. I would hardly say that warrants your comment. Yes some of them are trash but actually most of them are excellent titles.

darthstuey

Twitter:

SKTTR

Yeah, it's ok. I understand the creep. "Must haves" is a bit too much for all 15 of these still pretty good (none of them are trash) recently released Switch eShop games.

For me it is just number #2 (Thimbleweed Park) that was a real must-have, so I got it.

The other's (especially Stardew Valley and Golf Story) would be must-haves for me if they polished them up and brought them to retail. And the others up to #15 are also very nice games if you are into them.

However, this week a new batch is coming with several great games again:

The Count Lucanor is probably the best (hence I played through it 5 times already). For me it's a must-have, and there will be a physical version published by Merge Games that I'll get Day 1.

The other (in my eyes) top games on the Switch this week are the SNES/PS1-era inspired 50-hour classic JRPG Revenant Saga that's coming bargain-priced, the first person horror game Don't Knock Twice, the exploration/RPG platformer Spelunker Party! and the new The Jackbox Party Pack 4 that makes the series complete.
Jydge and Party Golf could also be great fun in the right hands.

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

DTMOF84

What’s everyone liking better, FIFA 18 or NBA 2K18?

🇺🇸
☕️
🤘🏻

Reginald

I don't play sports games, but I hear from people that now that NBA 2K18 has been patched, it is regarded as the better one over FIFA 18.

As for the list of must-haves, Stardew Valley is a definite. But I would wait until it's been patched, especially since the loading times are said to be crazy long.

Reginald

LuckyLand

Wulverblade is fantastic, I really love it, but really, it is a little too hard. I'm still stuck in the second stage and I'm not sure if I will ever be able to beat it or not. I hope it will get a patch that enable players to choose an easier mode if they want.

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

Scrummer

SKTTR wrote:

Yeah, it's ok. I understand the creep. "Must haves" is a bit too much for all 15 of these still pretty good (none of them are trash) recently released Switch eShop games.

For me it is just number #2 (Thimbleweed Park) that was a real must-have, so I got it.

The other's (especially Stardew Valley and Golf Story) would be must-haves for me if they polished them up and brought them to retail. And the others up to #15 are also very nice games if you are into them.

However, this week a new batch is coming with several great games again:

The Count Lucanor is probably the best (hence I played through it 5 times already). For me it's a must-have, and there will be a physical version published by Merge Games that I'll get Day 1.

The other (in my eyes) top games on the Switch this week are the SNES/PS1-era inspired 50-hour classic JRPG Revenant Saga that's coming bargain-priced, the first person horror game Don't Knock Twice, the exploration/RPG platformer Spelunker Party! and the new The Jackbox Party Pack 4 that makes the series complete.
Jydge and Party Golf could also be great fun in the right hands.

I've tried the Spelunker Party! demo, and it isn't very good unfortunately.

Scrummer

Switch Friend Code: SW-7938-1793-3581 | My Nintendo: Scrummer

Inertiacreep

@LuckyLand I felt there are some hard parts, but you can also get in the groove and just plow through everybody.. I am pretty far into it, maybe the last level or 2 I have to look... but I only got like 2-3 game overs so far, so I feel that the difficulty is at a really good place because this type of game you should not just be able to win without losing, but I would like to see harder (maybe unlocks after you beat it?) and easier difficulties for people who want it. maybe I can help you. Are you using -> -> attack and -> -> block (and mashing the hell out of your joycons)? are you busting all the crates open looking for health? are you using the rage to heal yourself if you have to?

Edited on by Inertiacreep

Inertiacreep

LuckyLand

I try to learn as many different attacks as I can, but I'm not that much the block type. I haven't even really tried to use it yet. I usually prefer games a little easier than this. I love it but it's a bit too demanding for my taste.
Other than the block thing I use almost everything, rage, special attacks and crates included.

Edited on by LuckyLand

Inertiacreep

@LuckyLand idk how to block either.. and actually i was just playing the last lvl and realized i forgot all about the call wolves thing since whatever lvl it teaches you lol. what hero are you playing as?

Edited on by Inertiacreep

Inertiacreep

LuckyLand

The first one, the short guy with the beard

Inertiacreep

Well i have not played him.. i played the big one and also played through the 1st lvl with the girl and she seem strong as hell

Inertiacreep

Krull

@SKTTR Interesting that you flagged up Revenant Saga. It caught my eye on the eShop, until I saw it was by Kemco, who are usually to RPGs what Kenco is to coffee. Like, it's definitely coffee, and it will keep you awake, but it's pretty weak and the taste isn't up to much. But I'm open to being persuaded otherwise - Kemco have been raising their game somewhat on mobile.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

SKTTR

@Krull I really liked Asdivine Hearts. Apart from its classic SNES-style gameplay and graphics, there was tons of content (plus all the bonus content for free), it has the kind of polish you can nowadays only find in Japanese games (everything works as intended, no real bugs), there's a good amount of depth (especially when aiming for 100% everything), and nice characters and a good story. I played much worse RPGs for 5 times the price.

Other than that, in my opinion Kemco makes better games for mobile and eShop now than anything they ever put out earlier (and I now them since the SNES and played through many of their NES classics and some of their mediocre N64 outings). Their catalog of new games is not just much better but also much cheaper than ever before. Since Asdivine Hearts I regard them as the greatest Nintendo supporter of quality bargain JRPGS.

Scrummer

@Pahvi I found the controls to be very annoying. But perhaps I just dislike it because I was trying to play with three other people on the tiny Switch screen, so I couldn't see my character well enough for precise platforming.

Scrummer

Switch Friend Code: SW-7938-1793-3581 | My Nintendo: Scrummer

SKTTR

Pahvi wrote:

@Scrummer Really? I played the Spelunker Party demo as well and found myself liking it... with the exception of the music, which could use a lot more variety. Of course, this is what demos are for, to see if the game is to one's liking.

I am curious, though, what you found annoying? I can imagine the depleting oxygen levels, fall damage, tripping over small rocks and slow walking speed being downsides to many people.

None of the things you mention are issues in the full game.
The Spelunker original theme remix is just in the intro stages.
And the limits for oxygen etc. can be raised by leveling up.

Tripping over small rocks and everything else is just Spelunker gameplay.
If it wasn't there it would be something else but not a new Spelunker sequel.

belmont

OK I would like some recommendations. I prefer all kinds of adventure and rpg games but I would like to start from exclusives since I may have already played multiplatform games on PS4 and Wii U.

belmont

Krull

@belmont I'm thoroughly enjoying Golf Story at the moment: it's the best RPG on Switch currently, IMO, even if it is also an arcade golf game. It's a tiny bit buggy - the screen seems to freeze every now and then so you need to shut down the software - but the gameplay is thoroughly charming. It's a Switch exclusive too, and there aren't many of those.

Apart from that. I'd recommend SteamWorld Dig 2 to anyone - it's terrific. Admittedly, it's multiplatform too - but it came to Switch first.

For exclusive retail games, I assume you already have or are aware of Splatoon 2, Zelda BotW, Mario Kart 8D, Mario + Rabbids, etc.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

LuckyLand

@belmont I think that some rpgs will be a completely different experience on Switch thanks to its portability. I wouldn't rule them out in advance just because I have already played them if I were you. I'm playing Skyrim everyday on pc but still I can't wait to have it on Switch!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic