Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 13,441 to 13,460 of 15,210

Nicolai

Haru17 wrote:

What Breath of the Wild forgot is that it's a puzzle series as much as it is an action/adventure one, and limitations are necessary for puzzles. Just climbing or gliding over everything isn't fun.

Exactly. Botw is "I see something, let me just walk/glide/climb over to it." I wish that sometimes it was more like "I see something, hmm... I need to figure out how to get over there. Lets consult the map, use the binoculars, plan a route." BotW sometimes had feeble attempts at this with the Sheikah Towers, but they were very feeble attempts. Usually talking 10 or less seconds to figure it out, and usually involving a straight-shot route anyway (A huge awesome exception was Akkala's Tower).

Making you use your brain as you explore? That's how you break the monotony of the open-world genre.

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

shadow-wolf

So guys, just beat the game. I'd like to discuss it, but I don't know how to include spoiler tags. Anyone know how to do that?
Edit: Figured it out, I found the topic in which it was discussed

Edited on by shadow-wolf

shadow-wolf

shadow-wolf

@DarthNocturnal Thanks! That should be useful. I'll probably use them anyway just in case, I didn't beat the game until today and I appreciated how some users (like @KirbyTheVampire) used them so I didn't get spoiled.

@Ryu_Niiyama So I used the parrying trick for the first time on Calamity Ganon and it worked lol! I did lose a couple of shields later when trying to replicate it, but I eventually got the hang of it.

So speaking of Calamity Ganon, does anyone know if parrying his shots with a shield is the only way to defeat him when he's in his golden form (in the first phase of the battle)? I wasn't a big fan of it cause it made the fight a bit too easy, but I couldn't figure out another way.

Did anyone think the final boss fight was a bit ... easy? Personally I thought it was easier than the Zora and Gerudo Divine Beasts for sure, maybe even the Goron one. And I wasn't really a fan of Ganon losing half of his health due to the Divine Beasts, it made that first phase way easier than it should've been.

The second phase was epic for sure. I do wish they'd made it harder by having enemies like Bokoblins, Moblins, or Lizardaflos around as you're traversing the landscape, but I appreciate the scope of the fight. Unfortunately this was pretty easy as well, but at this point I'm wondering if it's necessarily an issue of the fight or me being enough experienced with the game (along with lots of hearts and powered-up clothing) to do well.

Not sure what to make of the true ending. I agree that the Zora Divine Beast is likely a part of the DLC, but I found it interesting how they chose to focus only on Mipha. I wasn't sure what to make of Zelda's "Do you remember me?" and "I don't mind that I can't hear the sword, I was weakened from a 100 years of sealing Ganon!" Nothing memorable IMHO though maybe I didn't understand the significance properly .

Edited on by shadow-wolf

shadow-wolf

Brian-Price

You guys can have your linear games, open world is the way to go and i hope it continues i dont like being trapped between point A and B

Brian-Price

Brian-Price

Only thing i would change about BOTW is in the shrines add a few rooms where the doors shut and you are trapped in the room till the enemies are dead, add some rooms with x3 lynels or something. Would have been nice to have more challenging fights other than that the open world was great.

Brian-Price

Haru17

Nicolai wrote:

Exactly. Botw is "I see something, let me just walk/glide/climb over to it." I wish that sometimes it was more like "I see something, hmm... I need to figure out how to get over there. Lets consult the map, use the binoculars, plan a route." BotW sometimes had feeble attempts at this with the Sheikah Towers, but they were very feeble attempts. Usually talking 10 or less seconds to figure it out, and usually involving a straight-shot route anyway (A huge awesome exception was Akkala's Tower).

Making you use your brain as you explore? That's how you break the monotony of the open-world genre.

The map was definitely an improvement for Zelda / open world games. It would be better used in a future title's dungeons and more puzzle-laden overworld. More like how you would be constantly drawing on your map in Phantom Hourglass to get through dungeons and the infamous Temple of the Ocean King. Obviously those dungeons were too flat and unambitious, but they made me at least stop and leave notes about the riddles and challenges.

It would also help if the overworld was smaller and had more than the same bombed out ruins copied and pasted between generic forests. I agree that Akkala Citadel was a bright spot in the game — I liked the lore about it and wish there were more places like it. However, the Sheikah Tower was the least interesting part of that equation. The bridge, climb, and puzzle to dispel the malice were the interesting parts.

Breath of the Wild paradoxically has the worst Zelda towers. The Tower of Hera, Tower of the Gods, and climbing up into the rafters of Ganon's Tower were so good! They just need an indoor component with some different challenges to feel very worthwhile. Or at least not copied architecture.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Grumblevolcano

BotW's towers are basically Ubisoft towers, the same stuff you've seen in franchises like Assassin's Creed for the last 10 years.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

-Green-

Infinite Twig Paraglider vs Eagle Diving into Hay

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Nicolai

@Haru17 Now that i think about it, for a game with verticality being a major theme, a Tower segment seems like a huge missed opportunity. Imagine a dungeon like the Snowhead or WW's Earth Temple, with 6 or 7 floors connected by a central room. The scale of such a place with BotW's climbing mechanics in mind? Man, this game really needed themed dungeons! the divine beasts' puzzle mechanics are cool, but they're so small in scale!

But I don't regret having dungeons in the form of flying monsters visable across the overworld (it is a shame Vah Naboris and Vah Ruta weren't), and I definitely don't regret being able to control large-scale mechanisms of the beast. Maybe larger-scale dungeons will be left for their next open-world installment. If you ask me, best case scenario is that 3D Zelda games split off into their own sub-franchises, kind of like how the 2D and 3D games are now.

300 hours of this game, and I only just now realize that there is a separate music track for fighting enemies in the divine beasts. There's so few enemies in those things, it hardly ever comes up!

Thinking of how the divine beasts are so small reminded me of this one rumor I read way back in 2012. It was when I first started to keep up with modern gaming news, so I was a little gullible and I subscribed to it heavily. I think it was one of the first credible Zelda Wii U rumors. I just thought it would be fun to reread it and see what it got right.

It was pretty spot on about a few things, about how big of a game it was, how big of a budget it needed. Saying the art-style is like Skyward Sword but in HD isn't too far off. But of course, those things are pretty easy to guess. Among the biggest things it got wrong were the 2014 release date (lmao) and the heavy use of the Gamepad. The one that took the biggest hold of me was the "vastly bigger 3-part dungeons that are totally different from each other and taking hours to complete." Needless to say, this let my 20-year-old imagination loose with wondrous imagery. I'm sure the rumor was complete bull, but I sometimes wonder if all of this stuff was just scrapped for later due to them finding that the Divine Beasts were a better fit for the game. The Forest Temple that was described was certainly nothing like anything that was in the final game.

I now realize that the rumor was horribly written, and surely wouldn't have believed it today. I remember subscribing to Mackintyre Productions as well (boy was I desperate for rumors), and almost nothing he talked about resembled anything like what we have now. Does anyone else recall any pre-E3 2014 rumors that had gotten anything right?

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Rexcalibr

I just started playing this on the Wii U. Got shortly past the part where you get the glider, so I haven't done much yet.

Anyone know if there are any big differences between the Switch and Wii U version? I haven't got the Switch and haven't used my Wii U in almost 6 months until just recently.

Rexcalibr

GameOtaku

Well I've made it to Gerudo town and going after the first divine beast soon!

GameOtaku

Haru17

@Nicolai I definitely remember that rumor, I don't think there were many others with the appearance of legitimacy. I wanted that rumor to be true and I don't think it was very foolhardy to subscribe to. Aonuma announced the game talking about dungeons, that rumor was mostly about ambitious dungeons. If that rumor had been true Breath of the Wild could have been a great Zelda game instead of just another above average open world game. That forest temple sounded sick! I was thinking it would be like Attack on Titan's giant forest with the hookshot as a means of traversal.

At this point I'm just expecting a fifth divine beast with the same paint job from the Zelda DLC. I think they can do a Zelda with a Breath of the Wild-style overworld and a long main quest, interesting story, and solid dungeons within it. However, that would take a huge effort and I don't want them to because it could end up just as listless as Breath of the Wild. I just want them to make a current gen linear Zelda with stories and puzzles and items and which isn't Skyward Sword.

I give up if they announce another 3D Zelda without a title like some half-baked Yoshi game. 'Breath of the Wild' is a vague nothing of a title that ended up being exactly indicative of the final game's generic story, main quest, and version of Hyrule.

Nicolai

@Haru17 Rough timeline of me reading your post:
"I remember that rumor" - Nice!
"don't think you were foolhardy" - Awe, thanks!
"could have been a great Zelda game" - I know, right?
"That forest temple sounded sick" - I know!
"like Attack on Titan's giant forest" - Exactly, man!
"Expecting just a fifth divine beast" Probably. Or worse, a remixed Vah Ruta.
"make a current gen" - Right.
"linear Zelda" - Uh huh.
"with Stories and Puzzles" Yes!
"and items" - YES!!!
"which isn't Skyward Sword" -
Untitled

You and I, siiiir, are through! You hear me? Thrrrough!

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.

Haru17

@Nicolai I just haven't recognized any Zelda released after 2006. I don't think Skyward Sword is a bad game just like I don't think Breath of the Wild is a bad game. They're each good, they're just far from the kind of linear, story and puzzle-based 3D Zelda I want.

It wasn't the motion controls or the pacing so much as it was the build of the world and characters that bugged me.

Edited on by Haru17

Nicolai

@Haru17 Lol, of course, I was just poking fun ^.^

Got married.

Haru17

@Nicolai I know, I guess I just sometimes keep responding to things seriously...

In any case, where did you find that picture of, presumably, potato meme girl +

Untitled

Nicolai

@Haru17 Just type "wat" into Google. Didn't know about Potato Meme Girl, tho.

Got married.

Haru17

@Nicolai Yeah, the potato one is pretty mean honestly. I never saw the wat one before...

Just no one post any Zelda memes to bring us back on-topic. I won't stand for it

Nicolai

@Haru17 The only reason I haven't yet is that I'm trying to come up with the best one to use

Eh, I took too long. I'll just leave you all with this:
Untitled

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.

Nicolai

Get a load of this, has anyone seen this before? Apparently, there's a small nook in the game, that when looked at in a certain angle, disables certain graphical filters on Link, making him look less cel-shaded

EDIT: Lol, Apparently this was already covered on the main site yesterday. It's been a couple days for me.

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic