Forums

Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Posts 821 to 840 of 1,231

JHDK

Wow. Finally got the game today (my shipment was delayed, BOO!!) and I'm a bit overwhelmed. I'm running around aimlessly like a dummy. It's going to take awhile to get my bearings in this massive game.

It looks really nice on the Switch though. Better than I was expecting.

Edited on by JHDK

Switch Friend Code: 5258-4283-7999

Spoony_Tech

What are the advantages to continuing the story to a certain point? I've been off doing side quests and haven't done any of the story past the first village.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

SilverEdge92

I consider myself firmly Lawful Good, but I don't really have an issue occasionally doing the Chaotic/Renegade thing if it's contextually appropriate for the immediate situation or the option available. I stole a book from Ulfric's palace for an Imperial soldier in Solitude because that's what the quest directed me toward, and also had to deal with the goon squad afterward. I just destroyed the Dark Brotherhood today after two of their assassins came after me earlier, presumably because I stumbled upon some bandits in their vice den and wiped them out. Would have been nice if we had the chance to destroy the Thieves' Guild too, oust Maven Black-Briar, and clean up Riften.

And in what ways can the Empire and Stormcloaks be considered gray? They seem clearly "Law option" and "Chaos option" to me. The Empire is the legitimate, just authority of Skyrim; their only goal is to preserve the unity and peace of the province; and though they cooperate with the Thalmor, nobody in the Empire actually likes the Thalmor and they only do so out of necessity and it's said over and over again that was the only reason they accepted the White-Gold Concordat, either do it or be destroyed by the Almeri Dominion altogether. "Live to fight another day..." and all that jazz. Honestly, the only questionable thing about them as far as I can see is their association with Maven Black-Briar.

Conversely, the Stormcloaks are a group in open rebellion against said legitimate and just authority whose motives are, at best, a misguided, shortsighted response to the outrages imposed the Aldmeri Dominion--who are the real problem--and at worst, a blatant front to mask Ulfric's desire to seize the mantle of High King for himself, which several people--including some of his own allies--suspect.

SilverEdge92

Nintendo Network ID: SilverEdge92

KirbyTheVampire

@Spoony_Tech I would complete the first three quests. Once you beat the quest called Dragon Rising, you get access to several things that are very powerful. (I'm being intentionally vague so that I don't spoil anything, although you probably already know what I'm talking about)

The quests shouldn't take you very long. They're pretty quick compared to the other ones in the main storyline.

I don't think there are too many other advantages to completing the story past that point. There are certainly some that are pretty notable, but nothing extraordinary.

Also, quick note. Make sure you accept the quest from the Riverwood trader before you go past the first couple quests in the story. You can easily kill two birds with one stone that way.

Edited on by KirbyTheVampire

KirbyTheVampire

Spoony_Tech

@KirbyTheVampire Thanks! When I played BotW I went off and did my own thing first thing off the Great Plateau for 20 hours lol. I didn't find any upgrade gear for those 20 hours and wish I did the main quest at least up to the first town. I did however take out a Devine beast before I was suppose to.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Ryu_Niiyama

@SilverEdge92 I think that the Thalmor association (even though the empire hates it as well) bothers some. Also I personally feel with the loss of the Septim line the Empire becomes more faceless and thus unlikeable. Plus Tulius is a heel. Thank Talos for Rikke. The Blades took a similar dive (understandably so).

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

KirbyTheVampire

@Spoony_Tech No problem. I just decided to start the main story right away in both games, Skyrim because it was my first open world game and I was super overwhelmed, and BoTW because I was getting my butt kicked constantly at the start, lol. I figured I'd just follow the main questlines in both games until I got my bearings.

KirbyTheVampire

JaxonH

iKhan wrote:

I'm a bit surprised that the PSVR version of Skyrim outsold the Switch version in the UK.

Can pretty much guarantee the Switch version vastly outsold Skyrim VR in the US (a much bigger market) and likely elsewhere in the world. Skyrim VR topped out at #85 on Amazon on release day and is now at #140 something. Whereas Skyrim Switch hit #7, was around #20 2 full weeks prior to release, #50 for several weeks before that and #80-90 for months. Even now it's #30. So it's just steamrolling sales right now. Not to mention #3 on eShop, only behind Super Mario Odyssey and Rocket League.

And Switch version didn't have a previous fanbase or the allure of virtual reality to sell it. Just the portability... Being a handheld version.

So ya, I think my expectations have raised from being a million seller (which it surely will be) to hopefully 2 million over its lifetime on Switch (won't happen right away, but eventually, since Nintendo gamers value games much more to the point they buy for years- this will be evergreen alongside Nintendo's releases).

As for the U.K.? Ya. That's PlayStation Land. I would expect the core Sony fanbase there to all be VR adopting diehards who don't even know what a Switch is. Nintendo is lucky for games to chart at all in the U.K. tbh.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Haru17

@iKhan Most people are probably still playing Super Mario: Odyssey.

And completing Oblivion's main quest gave you Cool Dragon Stuff. I will say that Skyrim's main quest is one of the coolest implementations of Elder Scrolls lore into a game. It's worth seeing, and not too long when you consider the game it's in.

In hindsight, about the outcomes of Skyrim's main quest and the Dragonborn expansion's... ( so like don't read if you haven't finished both of those stories!)

I am a little disappointed there wasn't an epilogue quest for the moot to choose the next High King.
And more than that, I was disappointed the DLC ended after the usual two expansions. If there was any Bethesda game to break that convention it would have been Skyrim, in fact I feel like they could have kept it going at least through the 8th gen consoles' launch with periodic expansions and new content. Dragonborn's main story ending wasn't as impactful as the conclusion of Skyrim could have been. I thought they would do something with the Falmer or even make an expansion that adds back in the Imperial City in Cyrodiil and revolved around intrigue with the Thalmor and picking the next emperor. In fact I was sure
they were going to have the dragonborn player character start a new line of dragonborn emperors like the one that died out in Oblivion. Oh well. I can hardly complain with the breadth and depth of what was there, I just wanted to keep buying expansions and playing new content in Skyrim

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

LuckyLand

@SilverEdge92 legitimate authority is not always justice. The Thalmor are so arrogant everytime I encounter one of them while nords just want to keep living their own way on their own land, they don't do anything bad but are simply bullied by the Thalmor who wants to rule over other people.
At first I was not against the empire because I liked the setting in Oblivion and had fond memories of the empire but then playing this game I understood that the empire is not the same anymore, imho now they've become just pathetic fools who are selling themselves and other people too to some arrogant usurpers that are taking advantage of their weakness.

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

Haru17

LuckyLand wrote:

nords just want to keep living their own way on their own land, they don't do anything bad...

Uhhhh dude, you literally can't play half the races in the game without guards discriminating against you. They say 'elf' real mean like and call Khajiit 'cat.' And have you been to Eastmarch or the Reach yet?

Untitled

CroRock

Looking at picture above and wondering about text size.. is it readable on average full HD TV or it’s something like Xenoblade Chronicles X size which was really tiny for me? Not having option to increase text size in Xenoblade really killed that game for me.

Edited on by CroRock

3DS - 2294 - 4578 - 7970
SW - 3371 - 1931 - 2042

LuckyLand

@Haru17 yes I'm not saying nords are always right (as SilverEdge92 said himself even some of them believe that Ulfric is not that good and that Ulfric and the stormcloacks sometimes abuse of their cause for personal reasons) but in the context of this game the Thalmor are the most evil ones imo so I feel that the right thing is to stand against them.

Haru17

I mean you can support the Empire and not the Thalmor. The Mede Dynasty and the Aldmeri Dominion did war against one another, after all.

LuckyLand

@Haru17 I've never got very far in the main quest yet despite the fact that I already played the game a lot on Pc before, at first I didn't want to do it at all but now I want at least to put an end to the whole dragons thing. I'm not sure yet if I will do anything about the civil war, as far as I know they are two separate questlines. I'd like to stand by the Empire but the fact is that playing I have the feeling that the empire don't deserve it, like I said I feel like the imperials are selling both themselves and the nords to the Thalmor that are by far the worst faction in the game imho (except the Dark Brotherhhod and the Thieves guild) so to some extent I feel like that it is needed to fight against THIS Empire to actually support the Empire as a whole.
I probably will go on messing with Thalmor justiciar when I see them to have an excuse to kill them and won't touch the civil war questline if I can complete the dragons one because I really don't want to have a part in this civil war that I don't care about that much (I don't even care about Thalos I like only Stendarr and Julianos) but I really can't stand Thalmor, they are really detestable and bad. The worst racist amongst the nords is nothing compared to how much arrogant and oppressive Thalmors are.

Grogan

Trading in Mario Odyssy for Skyrim today. First time trying a 3d Mario game and I detest it. Don't @ me...my personal preference. I know Skyrim and will enjoy it a different way from last time with the DLC I didnt get last time and its a very good port of a very good game.

1977 Binatone pong first console , true story.

Hughesy

CroRock wrote:

Looking at picture above and wondering about text size.. is it readable on average full HD TV or it’s something like Xenoblade Chronicles X size which was really tiny for me? Not having option to increase text size in Xenoblade really killed that game for me.

Nope the text is plenty big enough.

Switch friend code: SW-3225-7165-4815

Spoony_Tech

@Grogan We Nintendo fans that want 3rd parties thank you lol.

MERG said:

Souljaman22

If I use amiibos for the Zelda gear, could I still find it later?
If I decide to drop my master sword , could I get another via amiibo?

Souljaman22

carlos82

Just picked this up today having previously platinumed it on PS3. So I'm starting as a Bretton for a change (usually Nord) and going to try use magic primarily. That's the great thing about this game that you can play as you want and since its release I'm yet to play a better RPG, (possibly Witcher 3). I must say it looks great on Switch and is scratching that dungeon crawling itch that Zelda sadly ignored.

Mainly I'm looking forward to the Dawnguard dlc which I couldn't really enjoy the first time around as it came out when I was a high level which made it nearly impossible to level up the vampire skill tree.

Older than I care to remember but have been gaming since owning a wooden Atari 2600 and played pretty much everything inbetween.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5967-3221-9309 | My Nintendo: Carlos

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic