Forums

Topic: Splatoon 2

Posts 3,861 to 3,880 of 5,014

GoldenGamer88

Played on Moray Towers for the first time in what feels like months. Noticed loads of changes to the central area and the inkrails. I especially like how you can‘t fall down to your doom when climbing the enemy base‘s wall at the centre. Made this stage a bit more bearable, which it is in small doses. Still wished it wasn’t as linear, giving the dominated team a way out of their own spawn besides to the ramp or jumping down.

Join the NL Inklings Discord Server: https://discord.gg/5gf7xg3

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-8427-0621-0325, Username: Montillo
PSN: Montillo88

Nintendo Network ID: Montillo

LeopardSon

LeopardSon / SW-3457-1152-5039

Please msg/add me for Splatoon party and chat
Dying to try

LeopardSon

Grumblevolcano

2.2.0 update out now!

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NinROCK3T

New Update just came out!

Go 2 my YT channel "ninrock3t"

Switch Friend Code: SW-5352-8021-7831 | My Nintendo: NinROCK3T | Nintendo Network ID: NinROCK3T | Twitter:

NaviAndMii

Anyone have any advice on how to best tackle the Griller (below) in Salmon Run? ..it always seems like my teams only just scrape by (or just flat out fail!) whenever the Griller round comes up - so I just wondered if anyone had any special tactics/techniques that seem to improve your chances??

Untitled

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

MarcelRguez

@NaviAndMii If you're the target:
1. Run in circles/squares
2. Use the "This way!" cry
3. Pray your team understands what you're doing

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

GoldenGamer88

@NaviAndMii Grillers can be a real pain when playing with randoms as they require the most teamwork out of all bosses you‘ll encounter in Salmon Run. If you‘re the one the Griller‘s after, try to stay calm and position yourself so your teammates have a better time hitting the tail. If you‘re in a bit of a pickle, try to lure them away so your teammates can reorganize and gather all the Eggs you‘ve got so far in the basket. If anyone else has it, try to stay out of the Grillers way as best as possible, try to communicate with the one being hunted where to go and hit its tail as often as possible. Voice Chat could make this boss so much easier.

Their Smallfries are still worse than the Griller itself imho lol.

Maxz

@NaviAndMii Grillers can't move up vertical ledges - even small ones. They have to take the ramps. Inklings can swim up most surfaces, which is a major advantage over the Grillers. By positioning yourself at the top of a sheer ledge, you can hop off whenever a Griller approaches you, meaning it will have to turn around take the long way down to find you. Abusing this inability to climb and descend verticality (like Darleks) is a pretty good technique to abuse.

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

NaviAndMii

@MarcelRguez @GoldenGamer88 @Dev @Maxz Thanks everyone! Really helpful advice!

Do the Smallfries, like the Grillers, only go after the targeted player(s)? (I find it hard to tell in the chaos of it all!) ..so I should pay special attention to who is targeted and position myself accordingly? ..and act as 'bait' if I'm the one targeted?

My natural inclination has always been to bunch together with my teammates (a tactic that works really well in the Rush wave) so that we can concentrate our combined firepower on the enemies - and that's likely where I've been going wrong - probably best to spread out a bit instead, keeping a close eye on the laser pointers throughout

Great stuff - thanks very much!

Edited on by NaviAndMii

Kimyonaakuma

@NaviAndMii I think the Smallfries start attacking/following first player that they see, I'd assume that Grillers do the same but their laser gives it away anyway.

-The fireflies that show up sometimes make you a default target for most enemies, but I don't know how they decide on what player to swarm around. Maybe it's just random?

Kimyonaakuma

GoldenGamer88

@NaviAndMii I‘d say being with your team whilst being targeted by a Griller is the worst idea one could have as it endangers your entire team of being splatted. Unless you‘re on Spawning Grounds and stand on the little ramp right by the basket, where you can hit the tail. Basically wherever the Griller needs to turn its back to you en route to you is a place where concentrate fire power might do the trick, albeit with the risk of other players being splatted.

The idea of grouping together during Rush also focuses the place the Salmonids rush to no matter who the Fireflies are on. The concentrate fire power is a good idea, though, I‘d recommend your team take turns defending the team in a group of two‘s. This way, the others can deliver eggs and refills their tanks. Though communicating this can be difficult with randoms.

NaviAndMii

@Kimyonaakuma @GoldenGamer88 Thanks for your replies! I've somehow managed to work my way through all of the pay grades - right through to Profreshional - without ever really knowing how to approach that particular wave! ..I just began to notice a bit of a pattern where, whenever the Griller wave would crop up, my team often wouldn't do so well - which made me suspect that perhaps I needed to work on my approach! ..but I was finding it a bit too frantic (at 200ish%) to get a proper grasp of what was going wrong, so I really appreciate your help!

I can approach my next Griller wave with newfound belief and confidence now!

Kimyonaakuma

@NaviAndMii You're welcome! Now go get those Grillers!

I wish I was that good but I always seem to get a weapon that I'm bad with when things get tough. I'm also just an average Splatoon player so maybe more work will improve my skills. I will be a Profreshional one day!

Kimyonaakuma

Zyrac

NaviAndMii wrote:

I've somehow managed to work my way through all of the pay grades - right through to Profreshional - without ever really knowing how to approach that particular wave!

Nothing against you - lord knows it took me a while to figure out Grillers myself (and they're still blooming hard) - but this reminds me to say I wish there were a rank above Profreshional. Not because Profreshional isn't hard enough, but because some of the players aren't good enough. Yesterday I almost got demoted because of people who thought it was a good use of their time to guard eggs by the shore (tip: it generally isn't), and after a while I got fed up and stopped playing. That was an unusually bad day, at least, but more generally I always make sure to take out Flyfish myself, because so many people seem to be useless at doing so.

Zyrac

Twitter:

NaviAndMii

@Zyrac Yeah, I agree! I've always had a natural inclination to prioritise survival above all else in shooting games - and as it turns out, figuring out how to stay alive can take you a long way in Salmon Run! ..but you'd expect the top, top Pay Grade to be reserved for the most well-rounded of players - a bit like S Rank in Ranked mode - to ensure that you only get matched with the most competent of teammates for the top tier challenge

Plus, as I was saying, I was struggling to really get a handle of what I could be doing better because of how frantic the action is at Profreshional level - if the pacing/progression was a little better, it may make for a smoother learning curve...which would be better for everyone, I think

Fortunately, I've managed to get some good advice here - and at other times I've managed to pick up some good techniques just by watching my teammates, or thanks to some effective communication - but that's the sort of thing that should be part of the learning process (at lower Ranks/Pay Grades) ..the balance just seems a bit off in Salmon Run from that point of view

Pazzo-TheFool

I have a rough time reaching Profreshional +100 unless I get one or who really good, communicating team mates.

'The shortest route was a detour. It was a detour that was our shortest path.'
Tell me your favorite plant.
~~youtu.be/r0HnIr6jYWU~~

GoldenGamer88

@Caldorosso-E Yeah, me too. I swear to god, some periods, the game just loves to give me really incompetent teammates who go off doing their own thing and don‘t care if one of us is down. Even got me de-ranked at one point because of them. Somehow the teammates in the rank below communicated a lot better so I reached Profreshional in the same period but still. Maybe some new Vicarious CEO rank or something that is harder to reach than the others so the good are really separated from the bad.

Pazzo-TheFool

Flyfish are annoying once two show up, but any combo of Stinger + Boss is bad too.

'The shortest route was a detour. It was a detour that was our shortest path.'
Tell me your favorite plant.
~~youtu.be/r0HnIr6jYWU~~

Zyrac

I do think Flyfish have a somewhat exaggerated reputation, possibly due to less experienced players having trouble killing them at all (as I mentioned in my last post). They are terrible in packs, but so are Stingers and Drizzlers. Flyfish are probably still the worst thing to get swarmed by, but not by that huge of a margin.

Zyrac

Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic