Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch: USB-C and Portable Battery Recommendations

Posts 141 to 160 of 225

Mechageo

JamestheLol wrote:

Is the iMuto Portable Charger X5TC 16750mAh a good choice?

My brother has that very one and says it works well with his Switch. I haven't personally used it but I think you'd be fine.

Mechageo

JaxonH

Alright! I have now purchased and tested 2 Power Delivery chargers for Switch, and am happy to share the results.

Aukey Amp Duo with Power Delivery works amazing with Switch. I gained 4%, count it FOUR PERCENT, in just 4 minutes (51% to 55% charge) while playing Zelda, with full brightness, with wifi on, with sound maxed out. Ya, it's that good.

And, it's black to match and has foldable prongs, and if that wasn't enough, it comes with a built in adapter to USB-A in case you need to charge your phone for hotspot while gaming online. So no more needing to bring phone charger in your Switch case, which means more room.

Highly recommended, best Switch charger I've found yet. Provides full PD charge under all conditions.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LX063QN

As for the iClever... well.... it only provided PD charge profile when I plugged it into Switch while in Sleep mode. If I plugged it in while not in sleep mode, I got standard 10W via USB-C. Stay away from this one if you can

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

BREAKING PD NEWS
Anker just added their new PD portable battery to Amazon minutes ago. MSRP is $149.99 but there's a dual pack with new PD wall charger (last one was recalled after being shown to be out of spec by Benson Leung) for $119.99

However, I got the price to show $99.99 through the AnkerDirect link on their Amazon storefront. Releases May 5th

disclaimer
I cannot vouch for this charger. However, given they pulled the last wall charger for being out of spec I'm assuming this one is now fixed since it's coming back to market, and if that's in spec the battery should be too. It's a 26,800mAh Powercore+ PD

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore-Portable-Including-Del...

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Mechageo

I tested the PLESON 15W USB-C Wall Charger Fast Charger with 3.3ft USB-C Cable and confirmed that it does charge the Switch while playing Zelda. I ran my test while standing in the Lost Woods.

That being said, it charges SLOWLY while in the Lost Woods. Like 1% every 14 minutes slow.
At least it's possible to play as long as you want while using this charger.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LALLV7I/

Mechageo

JaxonH

@Mechageo
Ya, pretty much any USB-C charger should provide 10W which is a snuff higher than the Switch draws, so it'll charge while playing... just very slowly

Now that we know Power Delivery works, I'd say go for that Aukey simply because it
bests charge speeds of even the official charger- it's gotta be getting 18+ watts for sure... unless one already has a normal USB-C charger and doesn't want to buy another

JamestheLol

Is the imuto the best portable charger for the switch and also when you are charging at home, cant you use use the charger it comes with from the box or it is recommended to buy another one

JamestheLol

JaxonH

@JamestheLol
The best portable charger is one with Power Delivery. And there's only 3 that do PD. A $150 Razor, a $75 RavPower and this new $100 Anker.

Yes you can use the included charger, but some people hate big clunky wall wart chargers and want something with foldable plugs and a cable that can disconnect.

This thread is for recommendations. Use the info provided above and make a decision based on your needs.

Giygas_95

@JaxonH Hey, is the aukey amp duo an actual portable battery? I'm going on a long road trip later this month, and I want a portable battery for the Switch. I could get a car charger, but a portable battery would be preferable for me.

Giygas_95

Nintendo Network ID: Supersonic_Flyer

JaxonH

@Giygas_95
No, it's a wall charger with USB-C PD.

I do recommend a portable battery for your case, which can also be used in the car, but the Anker PD battery is expensive and sold out. RAVpower PD battery is also expensive- not sold out but also needs to be connected while Switch is in sleep mode which could be a nuisance.

Could get a normal USB-C portable battery, a smaller one like the Iogear 10,000mAh USB-C portable battery. Won't have Power Delivery but it'll still charge while you play... barely but it will

Giygas_95

@JaxonH Hmm...If it would charge that slowly and other batteries are expensive I may just get a car charger instead. Ignorance question here, but what is power delivery? Also thanks for your quick response.

Giygas_95

JaxonH

@Giygas_95
When USB-C was created, it was meant to replace everything. In order to do that, it has to be able to provide multiple charging profiles. The Power Delivery spec states 5V, 9V, 15V, 20V and at multiple amp (A) like 2A, 3A or even 5A. This would allow any USB-C PD charger to power any USB-C PD device. Because the device will use those specified charging profiles and so will the charger. Everything would become standardized.

The problem is, manufacturers jumped the gun and USB-C devices and chargers were released without Power Delivery capability. Which means standard 5V 3A (15W total since Volts times Amps equals Watts, or VA=W). They presumably did this because it costs more to make a USB-C device Power Delivery compliant. And being new, customers didn't know any better.

So, a USB-C charger will be able to deliver a maximum of 5V at 3A for 15W of power. But a USB-C PD charger will be able to deliver 5V at 3A for 15W total, or 9V at 2A for 18W total, or 9V at 3A for 27W total, or 15V at 2A for 30W total, or 15V at 3A for 45W total, even up to 20V at 5A for 100W assuming you have a USB-C cable capable of handling 100W (standard USB-C cables can only handle 3 amps, so 20V times 3A means 60 watts max, but some USB-C cables can handle 5 amps, meaning 20V times 5A for 100W of power).

So Nintendo Switch, using plane jane USB-A to USB-C cable like the one included with Pro Controllers, it will only take a maximum of 7.5W due to the one end being USB-A. So, USB-A can theoretically do up to 5V 2.4A for a total of 12 watts (Qualcomm and Fast Charge break this rule but only for Qualcomm and Fast Charge compliant devices), but Switch limits the amps via USB-A to 1.5A, meaning the most you'll ever see is 5V x 1.5A = 7.5W. The system itself uses more than that (up to 8.7W) so you will potentially drain while playing.

USB-C offers a max of 5V 3A, for a total of 15 watts. But once again, Switch limits USB-C amps to just 2, meaning you'll only ever see a max of 5V x 2A = 10W. Enough to charge while playing, but slowly (since it's only 1.3 watts over what the system needs).

USB-C PD, however, increases the voltages. The amps are still capped at 2A by Switch, but the Power Delivery means you can output more than 5V. Switch maxes out it's charge at 18 watts (that's the most anyone has recorded it taking). So a USB-C PD charger will either run a 9V profile at 2A for 18 watts, or it will run a 15V profile at 1.2A for 18 watts. Either way, it's getting the full 18W which is roughly 10 watts over what the system is using while playing. Meaning you'll charge faster with USB-C PD while playing, than you would with a USB-C to A cable with the system powered off. Even versus regular USB-C without Power Delivery, you'll charge just as fast while playing using a USB-C PD charger, than you would with normal USB-C with the system powered off.

That's why you want USB-C PD.

JaxonH

@Giygas_95
And I should specify, a car charger will be no faster than a regular USB-C battery would be. Both being normal USB-C, both will provide the 10W max Switch will take without Power Delivery. Car chargers are about $20, but you can get the Iogear USB-C battery for $30, and it works anywhere and guarantees at least another 5 hrs of playtime.

https://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-GearPower-Portable-Smartphones-...

Giygas_95

@JaxonH Thanks for all the info. So as far as bang for your buck goes, would the logear usb-c battery be the best portable battery?

Giygas_95

JaxonH

@Giygas_95
Ya, probably. I mean personally, I insist on USB-C PD, nomatter the cost. So the $100 for a 26,800mAh USB-C PD battery which included a $25 USB-C PD wall charger was worth it to me. Over 3 times the cost of the Iogear, but almost 3 times the size, plus power delivery rapid charge times, plus top shelf wall charger.

However, I just learned Aukey has released a new 30,000mAh USB-C PD charger, and for just $64.99. That's twice the price of the Iogear, but 3 times the size and has Power Delivery. That' s the best bang for your buck, honestly. I haven't tested it but, considering the best USB-C PD wall charger for Switch atm is an Aukey, I think it's a safe bet.

https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Portable-30000mAh-Delivery-Charg...

Giygas_95

@JaxonH Thanks. I think I'll go for the $75 Ravpower. Darn funds are limited though.

Might wait for reviews on that Aukey battery though. Looks quite tempting to be honest.

Edited on by Giygas_95

Giygas_95

JaxonH

@Giygas_95
Ya I think the Aukey will be best for sure. The best way to charge the battery is a PD wall charger just like Switch. Can either use the Switch official charger or, if you're buying a separate PD wall charger that's smaller and doesn't have cord permanently attached, the Aukey Amp Duo PD charger is the best I've found.

Giygas_95

@JaxonH It'll be awesome having extra battery life. I was on a shorter road trip a couple of days ago, and I had to stretch the Switch's battery life big time by lowering my brightness. Thanks for all the good info!

Giygas_95

Giygas_95

@JaxonH One last question, so do I need a USB C to USB C cable to take full advantage of the power delivery on those Aukey products? And if so, do they come with USB C to USB C cable?

Edit: Just read some of the questions on the Aukey Amp Duo, and apparently it doesn't come with a C to C cable. That makes me think the battery probably doesn't either. On that note, since I don't think I have any C to C cables lying around, is there a specific one you would recommend?

Edited on by Giygas_95

Giygas_95

JaxonH

@Giygas_95
Yes you do. Otherwise you're bottlenecked by the USB-A end of the cable.

But be careful with included cables. USB-C handles multiple voltages with PD and out of spec cables can risk damaging your device. See the front page of this thread, my post links to Benson Leung's approved list of USB-C cables and chargers and batteries.

Or, just go with Apple, Google or Amazon Basics brand which are all in spec. If you want to use that $10 IVAPO tripod for charging in tabletop mode, get the CableCreation 6ft USB-C to USB-C 2.0 right angle cable, which will fit into the port with the right angle

Sorry, this topic has been locked.