Forums

Topic: Next Nintendo Direct?

Posts 15,721 to 15,740 of 15,881

Grumblevolcano

@Sigran102 You could only play already released 1st party games on the Gamescom 2023 showfloor (no sign of Detective Pikachu Returns, SMB Wonder, WarioWare Move It, Super Mario RPG remake) so Nintendo skipping Gamescom doesn't say anything about the 2nd half of 2024 for the current Switch.

If it suggests anything about the future, it would be that Switch 2 isn't being announced until September at the absolute earliest.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

PikaPhantom

@Sigran102 Wasn't 2023 the only year Nintendo's showed up for since COVID anyways? Even in 2022, when there really wasn't much of an excuse?
Nintendo has also never revealed anything at Gamescom in recent years, at least publicly. I think Grumblevolcano's right on the money - this just means we won't be seeing Switch 2 until September at the earliest.

PikaPhantom

GrailUK

@Sigran102 Depends how noisy they were going to be at Gamescon. (They aren't usually loud there.)

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Sigran102

@PikaPhantom it probably does mean the switch 2 announcement will be later, but iirc they usually have a booth there even if they don't announce anything.

Sigran102

Bolt_Strike

Grumblevolcano wrote:

If it suggests anything about the future, it would be that Switch 2 isn't being announced until September at the absolute earliest.

MUST...RESIST...URGE...TO SAY...I TOLD YOU SO!

No, it is too early to definitively conclude that, but it does seem likely that things are progressing as I expected. Little until September is exactly what I was expecting. Nintendo's just sort of like this now where they're mostly allergic to revealing anything 6 months ahead of release (and the reasons for that are likely because their products aren't in a playable state until that point and they don't want to leave too much time for potential delays and competitors planning around their moves). I didn't think we'd be getting 9 months of Switch 2 marketing. Looking like May might be little more than Switch 2 codename and release date (or maybe even just a window) and full reveal is sometime between September and Black Friday, and until then no games except social media drops of remakes/remasters. I'd put money on it at this point.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Novamii

@Bolt_Strike I think that sounds like a pretty solid estimate. Honestly, at this point I think we'd just be happy with even a simple acknowledgement/release window. At the very least to get people to simmer down a little. Then again, this is the internet we're talking about, so the exact opposite will happen. Still, would be nice just to give people something to quell the whole release date debacle. Just SOMETHING remotely concrete, and not just people grasping at straws saying "It must be this, it just makes sense!" There's only so much of that we can take before we start going insane (Though it may be a bit late for that.)

Edited on by Novamii

Idealism and realism are only a few letters apart, it's a fine line between the two. One must be careful not
to step too far on one end, as it could very easily throw the other off balance.

My Current Games: Undecided

FishyS

So last year at the May 9th financial meeting, Nintendo said relatively clearly that there would be no new hardware that fiscal year. Imagine the outcry if Nintendo said the same thing this year on May 8th. Our corner of the internet would go crazy.

Granted if Nintendo has some super vague comment about new hardware which is perhaps the most likely, everyone will also go crazy.

Edited on by FishyS

FishyS

Switch Friend Code: SW-2425-4361-0241

Novamii

@FishyS I'll be sure to have my popcorn ready. Best case scenario, we get a whole whopping sentence of info and party. Worst case scenario, we get the same sentence as the last few years verbatim, and the site goes into a frenzy. Should be interesting either way, lol.

Idealism and realism are only a few letters apart, it's a fine line between the two. One must be careful not
to step too far on one end, as it could very easily throw the other off balance.

Croctopus

I've pretty much expected all along that Nintendo would confirm its existence at the May shareholder meeting. Not a full reveal, of course, but also more than just, "Yeah, we're working on it."

Official-Grizzco Octoling Soldier

Switch Friend Code: SW-6880-0040-8826 | Twitter:

Novamii

@Croctopus Oh, definitely nothing big. As @Bolt_Strike mentioned briefly, I can't imagine a 9-month long ad campaign before the system even launches. Other companies may opt for that, but Nintendo? I'd imagine closer to last time, where they have the hype swell over a holiday season (Maybe a teensy bit longer, if anything.) Nintendo want this thing to come out swinging, and with very short time between reveal and release. At the very least so other companies can't use the time to steal the thunder. (Though I still think the idea of having other consoles coming out is bizarre, considering they've barely done much to warrant upgrading from last gen. The idea of PS5 Pro/PS6 and a new XBox console at this point seems quite silly to me, whereas Nintendo is needing it more and more with each year. At least in my dumb opinion anyway, so take it with a grain of salt.)

Also, considering the shareholders meeting coming up, I can't imagine many of them asking about current gen games, you know. Nintendo knows, that we know, that they're cooking something up. At some point, whether they like it or not, they'll have to spill the beans. So I think a May "Pre-announcement announcement" seems likely as well.

Edited on by Novamii

Bolt_Strike

Yeah, I think the shareholders meeting will just amount to "We're releasing new hardware called insert codename here releasing in March/Spring 2025" and maybe throw in a vague PR statement about it being "innovative" and "will run alongside the Switch" (read: we're going to keep the Switch around for a few more years alongside it but this is the successor to the Switch) and that's about all they'll tell us about it until Fall.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

skywake

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if all we get is something along the lines of "we will have more to say about new hardware at a later date but we intend to continue supporting Switch with new software alongside any new hardware release"

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Novamii

@skywake Very probable too, but hey, that's still better than a flat out no. That said, we should never underestimate Nintendo's sheer stubbornness when it comes to feigning ignorance. We'll just have to wait and see and take what we can get really.

Bolt_Strike

@skywake That wouldn't be enough to appease investors and consumers. Nintendo has literally nothing confirmed after Luigi's Mansion 2, if the investor's meeting comes and goes and they something like that, not giving us any indication of a light at the end of the tunnel, then everyone's patience is going to run out. Investors are going to jump ship and stocks would plummet, and gamers would get bored waiting for new games and move on to competitors. I think at a bare minimum they have to explicitly confirm new hardware and give us a timeframe for when they currently expect it to release. That at least gives people an idea of when they can expect more information.

Bolt_Strike

GrailUK

@Bolt_Strike If investors are that twitchy prior to Nintendo releasing a new system, then they aren't worth worrying about lol.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

dmcc0

@GrailUK The share price was at an all time high leading up the last Direct in anticipation of an announcement of a new system (based on nothing more that rumours and speculation), then dropped off quite a bit when there was no announcement and reports (rumours) that it had been delayed until 2025. Investors are always twitchy.

dmcc0

Novamii

At the end of the day, nobody is going into the shareholder meeting expecting a full-on blowout of Switch 2 information, that's silly. Remember though, that the shareholders meeting is as close as the fanbase gets to asking Nintendo questions directly (It just happens that those select fans have very deep pockets, but that's not really relevant to the topic.) That also leads to them being a picky bunch, and I don't know about you, but I wouldn't spend who knows how much just for the chance at asking about Luigi's Mansion 2 HD. There's been only one thing on people's mind (Apart from TotK and Prime 4) for the past several years: Switch 2. It's 2024, TotK has come and gone, and God only knows where Prime 4 is. What else is there? Not to mention the fact that hype was close to (If not at) it's peak last year, especially after the Gamescom rumor. (I honestly wouldn't discredit the possibility of that putting Nintendo off of it this year. Not guaranteed, but a non-0% chance.) At this point in time, there's a huge Switch 2 sized elephant in the room, and Nintendo will have to address it in some way. Simply saying "We're always developing our next tech." or "We're not accepting comments at this time" isn't impossible, but it certainly wouldn't put any of the shareholders at ease, that's for sure.

Again, I need to reiterate, nobody should expect full on specs and stuff like that when that day comes. I still fall in with @Bolt_Strike with the actual official reveal being closer to fall (ala the original Switch's reveal) but with each year comes new leaks and rumors. And with each one, the tension gets reeled tighter and tighter. It's up to Nintendo to know when and how to cut it some slack before it snaps and breaks. Even if it's just a general release window and code name. The shareholder's meeting seems like that snapping point to me.

Edited on by Novamii

Anti-Matter

Wow, Indie Direct due tomorrow.
Hopefully some good 3D indie games.

Anti-Matter

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic