Forums

Topic: NEW Super Nintendo Switch 2 XL Arcade Edition

Posts 1 to 20 of 21

iVirtual

I don't own the Switch but i finally had a chance play on it, it was smaller then i thought love the clicky buttons, love the build quality, texture and especially the games but there are plenty of videos as to why the Switch is awesome and plenty of cancerous channels that only make Switch, PS4 and Fortnite videos but i don't like the Switch here's why?

The Battery Life is awful and i'm talking Sega Game Gear, Atari Lynx level battery life it only lasted me 2 and a half hours even the Joycons through the Jocon grip don't last long

The Screen is well kind of blurry yes i have had my eyes checked and they are fine, playing Breath of the Wild and Skyrim on Portable Mode you notice the lower resolution on games like Zelda and Skyrim 900p/1080p resolution is important to be able to see further down the map. Also, wish the Screen were a bit bigger

No Charger if you buy this brand new it will only come with the Power Plug for the dock no USB C cable to charge your Switch so if you have a power bank ready with games, case but no USB C cable well get used to using it as a home console for the first few days

The Store, Menu is empty, i remember the PS4, Xbox One sucked when it first came out empty store, little games made me want to go back to my 360 and PS3 well i almost have that same feeling with the Switch. No Virtual Console, No themes with music, not many games pretty empty and it seems like your purchases won't carry over

No Apps bring them over N

Online is not free if i am going to pay online i need more 3rd party triple a's, i need more multiplayer focused games and i need an actual service chat, messages, invites, free games, deals etc NO FRIEND CODES

No triggers this thing has no analogue triggers why Nintendo? This is 2018

It has no D Pad again why Nintendo? you invented these even my tv remote has a more functional D pad

Now for the title what would i like to see on a revised Switch

Better Battery life

Bigger Screen

1080p Screen

DPAD and Analogue triggers

More powerful not like the New 3DS but more like being being able to eventually take the docked experience on the go

Fans do not bash on me and call me a hater i love the Switch it has a lot of potential but it is those minor issues that Nintendo can really improve on with the improved Switch there is a reason why i have almost ten Nintendo Systems. I think the Switch needs improvement on the Handheld side of things.

Edited on by iVirtual

U.A

3DS Friend Code: 3866-8117-0548 | Nintendo Network ID: 8-BitNation

ACK

You're only legit point is lack of a Dpad, everything else just exhibits that you either have no knowledge of technology (better battery life + 1080p screen, games will either look extremely blurry at much lower than native resolution or battery tanks trying to render at 1080p) or are grasping at straws (eshop, analog triggers, cable).

Good luck.

ACK

Twitter:

iVirtual

@ACK
3DS 2011

New 3DS 2015

Switch 2017

New Switch 2021

In 4 years a lot can happen they can easily make a Switch that is not only better than the previous model but also improves upon it with a 900 or 1080p screen with docked level performance on the go. The Tegra X1 is a 4 year old chip and HD Rumble is most likely the reason why the Switch was expensive at launch. Analogue triggers are important for Triple A games, shooters and GameCube games. Other issues are minor such as EShop and Ui which will improve over time.

Edited on by iVirtual

U.A

3DS Friend Code: 3866-8117-0548 | Nintendo Network ID: 8-BitNation

ACK

Nah, it's not that simple. The issue isn't the chips, it's the batteries. In the past decade chip fabrication has advanced rapidly, but battery technology has largely stalled. Unless there is some unforeseen leap in that area, Nintendo is going to focus on battery life with future iterations, not increasing to a higher resolution screen... Take that to the bank.

Further there isn't some magical more powerful version of the Terra. The iteration after the X1 is not made for mobile devices and may not be suitable for the Switch (too much CPU draw). The most logical advancement is simply the X1 on a smaller node, but that will mostly yield better battery life rather than suddenly doubling rendering power.

EDIT: The 3DS was using withered technology because Nintendo had to scramble when Nvidia could not deliver suitable chips. This made it relatively cheap and easy to upgrade. The Switch is an entirely different situation. They may add more ram, go to a smaller node, etc. in a future switch iteration, but it's pretty hard to compare the two.

Edited on by ACK

ACK

Twitter:

ACK

As for analog triggers, they are rarely useful except in racing games. Shooters are absolutely better with digital triggers in my view. If you miss them, I feel for you, but for most games they don't add anything and are a squishy nuisance.

ACK

Twitter:

iVirtual

@ACK Doesn't the Switch runs at higher clock speeds docked. If there is a leap in battery technology which we have yet to see in phones and tablets then surely a more powerful Switch with better battery life is possible within 4 years.

U.A

3DS Friend Code: 3866-8117-0548 | Nintendo Network ID: 8-BitNation

iVirtual

@ACK Gamecube games like Mario Sunshine rely on analogue triggers as well. So i don't know if N has interest in bringing GCN games through the Virtual Console.

U.A

3DS Friend Code: 3866-8117-0548 | Nintendo Network ID: 8-BitNation

Lethal

ACK wrote:

You're only legit point is lack of a Dpad, everything else just exhibits that you either have no knowledge of technology (better battery life + 1080p screen, games will either look extremely blurry at much lower than native resolution or battery tanks trying to render at 1080p) or are grasping at straws (eshop, analog triggers, cable).

Good luck.

Hmmm. My Note 8 has a resolution of 2960x1440 and the battery life lasts me all day. When playing a graphical game I still get 5 hours of life. Images are crystal clear and is a Quad HD+ display. So......... ya.

Edited on by Lethal

Switch Friend Code - SW-1147-4867-6886

SwitchForce

Lethal wrote:

Hmmm. My Note 8 has a resolution of 2960x1440 and the battery life lasts me all day. When playing a graphical game I still get 5 hours of life. Images are crystal clear and is a Quad HD+ display. So......... ya.

Problem here is the Chipset aren't the same. If you want to compare they must be of the same hardware to make a comparison. I can play BoTW for at least 3.5hours of life and longer if I turn everything off. So your Apples to Oranges is misplaced here. And last point CHIPSET aren't the same. NS have more value then your Phone will ever have. Don't get started about Docking it can out do the phone here.

SwitchForce

Agriculture

The Switch is a concept a little ahead of it's time. There was a ton of requirements on the design. It needed to be portable, but capable of running the latest games, while at the same time having a low price point.

Obviously compromises had to be made, so it runs games like Doom on a lower setting, it using a cheaper SOC, which runs hotter, consuming more battery, and the screen is also cheaper and has no gorilla glass.

On the bright side though, as technology gets cheaper there is plenty of room for the Switch to get better. The current SOC is made using the 20 nm process, and by the time a Light Switch gets released it might have a 10 nm chip. That would mean the fan would run much less, and the battery consumption would be significantly reduced.

I'm glad they went this route though, since they wouldn't have 18 million sold units if it was a £800 device. It's better if they build a large install base with this current Switch model, then they can release a premium version with better screen, battery, etc.

Agriculture

Agriculture

SwitchForce wrote:

Lethal wrote:

Hmmm. My Note 8 has a resolution of 2960x1440 and the battery life lasts me all day. When playing a graphical game I still get 5 hours of life. Images are crystal clear and is a Quad HD+ display. So......... ya.

Problem here is the Chipset aren't the same. If you want to compare they must be of the same hardware to make a comparison. I can play BoTW for at least 3.5hours of life and longer if I turn everything off. So your Apples to Oranges is misplaced here. And last point CHIPSET aren't the same. NS have more value then your Phone will ever have. Don't get started about Docking it can out do the phone here.

Phones also don't have fans, which is a major source of power consumption.

Agriculture

ACK

@Lethal Your screen resolution without any specific examples and without noting rendering resolution is kind of pointless. Further the chipsets are so different, those android games, even AAA ports are extremely scaled back because the android system lacks the advanced gaming APIs of the Switch. It's not a very good comparison without something like BotW, Splatoon 2, MK8D, DOOM, etc. to directly compare to.

The graphically intensive mobile games have a lot of streamlining under the hood because they have to operate only on a mobile device not dedicated to gaming. The android system has a lot of overhead, so it is probably not possible to run the full-fat Switch games.

EDIT: And to be clear, my post was about the Switch power profile and draw... So your point doesn't really refute mine unless you think rendering twice the pixels to get to 1080p isn't going to affect battery life or that 720p or less on a 1080p screen won't look blurry? I mean, my point is there have to be compromises between rendering and power draw on a portable device. Unless your claim is that a $700 Note 8 is a better gaming device with better battery life, it's pretty much irrelevant what it can do. The respective devices functions, compromises, and architectures make for a poor comparison.

Edited on by ACK

ACK

Twitter:

electrolite77

I agree on Analogue Triggers. The rest? It's got something like 400 games for crying out loud. And the battery life for the amount of processing it's actually doing is fine.

Switch friend code - SW-5907-7972-1196

Nintendo network Username - GJB77

Agriculture

electrolite77 wrote:

I agree on Analogue Triggers. The rest? It's got something like 400 games for crying out loud. And the battery life for the amount of processing it's actually doing is fine.

It's a bit misleading. It's not like you want to play all those 400 games, or even 1/8 of them. The Switch does have something of a game drought right, especially for WiiU owners that might have already played games like Tropical Freeze.

Agriculture

ACK

@Agriculture 1/8th of 400 is 50, but I, uh, get your point; however, Wii U owners should basically be the last people on earth to complain about the Switch drought... Unless you have no interest in downloadable games (and that's really on you) there is no real comparison to the quality and breadth of games releasing any given week for Switch that can really only be matched by the most bountiful weeks of the Wii U' s lifespan, fortunately/unfortunately.

Edited on by ACK

ACK

Twitter:

Lethal

ACK wrote:

@Lethal Your screen resolution without any specific examples and without noting rendering resolution is kind of pointless. Further the chipsets are so different, those android games, even AAA ports are extremely scaled back because the android system lacks the advanced gaming APIs of the Switch. It's not a very good comparison without something like BotW, Splatoon 2, MK8D, DOOM, etc. to directly compare to.

The graphically intensive mobile games have a lot of streamlining under the hood because they have to operate only on a mobile device not dedicated to gaming. The android system has a lot of overhead, so it is probably not possible to run the full-fat Switch games.

EDIT: And to be clear, my post was about the Switch power profile and draw... So your point doesn't really refute mine unless you think rendering twice the pixels to get to 1080p isn't going to affect battery life or that 720p or less on a 1080p screen won't look blurry? I mean, my point is there have to be compromises between rendering and power draw on a portable device. Unless your claim is that a $700 Note 8 is a better gaming device with better battery life, it's pretty much irrelevant what it can do. The respective devices functions, compromises, and architectures make for a poor comparison.

You said the screen resolution of 1080p would drain the battery to fast on the Switch. I said the Note 8 has a quad HD display and does just fine. A new Switch with a 1080p display is very possible. If a phone can do quad HD at 1440p then a simple 1080p LCD is more than feasible.

Switch Friend Code - SW-1147-4867-6886

Agriculture

ACK wrote:

@Agriculture 1/8th of 400 is 50, but I, uh, get your point; however, Wii U owners should basically be the last people on earth to complain about the Switch drought... Unless you have no interest in downloadable games (and that's really on you) there is no real comparison to the quality and breadth of games releasing any given week for Switch that can really only be matched by the most bountiful weeks of the Wii U' s lifespan, fortunately/unfortunately.

Yes, it would be silly to say "Switch has no games" because it does have a lot more great games than other consoles had this early in it's cycle. However I just think it's annoying when people go "the Switch has 400 games". Going by that logic everyone should just buy a gaming PC, because it has 20 000 games, and you can't possibly be bored ever again with 20 000 games.

Agriculture

toiletduck

Lethal wrote:

You said the screen resolution of 1080p would drain the battery to fast on the Switch. I said the Note 8 has a quad HD display and does just fine. A new Switch with a 1080p display is very possible. If a phone can do quad HD at 1440p then a simple 1080p LCD is more than feasible.

Note 8 = ~€700
Switch = ~€330

It's stated before, but if you'd like a Switch with Switches current possibilities ánd 1080p screen with decent battery life, current prices will easily be somewhere around €900. A bit too expensive.

So if OP is seeing opportunities for future enhancements he could be right, but if he is stating the Switch is inferior and lacking features today that's just not true at this price point.

toiletduck

chardir

Battery life is fine. I use it for my daily commute and have never run out. For people who want longer life you can easily buy a battery pack, while the 80% of owners who have no need of one don't have to pay extra for a bigger built in battery.

In the end everything comes down to price. Nintendo have chosen what they feel is the best balance of value. You can always suggest a better screen/battery/CPU/memory but any of that costs money.

The D-pad isn't a price choice but it's missing because Nintendo chose to value single joycon play over a D-pad. I think on balance they got that right. Impromptu 2 player anywhere gaming is their USP, D-pads aren't.

Friend Code: SW-1014-2011-3950 (Switch name: Dii)
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: LMR-JBK-RWG

Fake-E-Lee

Switch is rad, the TONS of games available are rad, and I can take it everywhere. What are we complaining about again? Maybe I'm a simple dude when it comes to my gaming fun requirements, but whatever. I love my Switch and I don't care about the finite details people seem to want to nitpick about.

Fake-E-Lee

Top

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic