Forums

Topic: Mario Tennis Aces

Posts 241 to 260 of 311

rallydefault

@Grumblevolcano
Name some of those games, please.

/rant begin - You don't want a rant from me? Fine, don't read this post.

Mario Tennis games NEVER had a ton of purely single-player focused content. A lot of this "Aces isn't worth the 60 bucks" is TOTALLY a result of our current messed-up, spoiled gaming culture. When Mario Tennis came out on the 64 it didn't have an adventure mode. It had tournaments and ring challenges as far as the single-player stuff went.

These insane (to me) arguments recently about pricing of games is going to lead to the downfall of our hobby, mark my words. It's no longer enough for a game (like Aces) to have fantastic and addictive gameplay spread across multiple modes both single and multi-player and for the publisher to ask 60 bucks. No. Like I said before, a game today has to check all of these ridiculous boxes of (to me) stupid, repetitive things that gamers have come to expect simply because a Far Cry or Assassin's Creed game did it and sold well.

I mean, even look at Mario Odyssey's outfits - they're skins. They're skins, people. Just like in any other game on any other platform, and it will give players the illusion of added game time and, supposedly hence, increases the accepted asking price to the game in the culture's current messed-up mindset.

I beat Odyssey in around 10 hours (maybe even fewer, actually). Now, you guys who are all up in arms about pricing recently - is 10 hours worth 60 bucks? And no, I don't give a duck's behind about the skins, so I'm not going back to get them. So by your logic, I say that Mario Odyssey is not a 60 dollar game.

See how insane this line of reasoning gets? It makes devs afraid to make anything not full of garbage time wasting stuff. It makes publishers afraid to take risks on making bigger games that are by all means fantastic to play but perhaps short or don't offer fifteen thousand towers to climb to reveal portions of the map. It destroys the whole hobby, ultimately.

I'm not saying that it's fine for games to never evolve or to stay exactly how they were in the 90s and 2000s. What I'm saying is that great, engaging gameplay never gets old, and the "asking price" has, is, and will always be in the eyes of each individual beholder. To conflate and inflate the pricing thing like it has any basis in a factual system or must check certain boxes is to walk down a terrible, terrible path for this hobby.

/rant over

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

Grumblevolcano

@rallydefault Melee, Brawl, some of the Halo games (especially Halo 3), F-Zero X, F-Zero GX, Diddy Kong Racing, Sonic & SEGA All Stars Racing, Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed, SEGA Superstar Tennis, Goldeneye 007, 007 Nightfire, the majority of the Rock Band franchise, etc.

Most of these were before the existence of online multiplayer so like @Snaplocket was saying, the reduction of single player content in multiplayer games is generally a result of online multiplayer.

I don't expect some super long adventure mode from a tennis game but Mario Tennis Aces has other problems like limited options outside adventure mode. You can only play a maximum of 1 set matches, you can't choose what courts you play on, unlocks are limited, etc.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

MarsManu

Nobody can help me? Is this only for me that motion control activated itself automatically randomly?

MarsManu

Judi

@MarsManu I'm not sure about all modes, but at least for online multiplayer I think you need to remember to toggle the setting each time you start a tournament. Unless you're talking about how it'll randomly be set wrong for a single match every once and a while, because I run into that where it will disable my motion controls randomly (and it sucksss).

Currently procrastinating on: implementing virtual memory and synchronization.
Currently distracted with: Mario Tennis Aces

Switch Friend Code: SW-1341-6334-2439

rallydefault

@Grumblevolcano
All of those games you mentioned have single player "campaigns" (for some of them that term is very loose) that can be completed in 8 hours or less. Some much less. I've actually played most of those games, too, and I greatly enjoy many of them.

Thank you for your post, but I feel it demonstrates exactly what I was saying. The other issues you have with Aces are some that I share and are also issues that would be very easy for Nintendo to patch. Hopefully they will.

rallydefault

Judi

It's so satisfying to beat someone playing fairly adeptly as Bowser Jr. with a character that's underused like Luigi.

Judi

@Snaplocket I played against a Wario and it was kinda funny because of how weird his moves are lol. I think for power characters most people stick to those two because Bowser I think has the strongest shots and Chain Chomp is new and cool and we all love him. I'm not the best judge on them because I find them really limited, and they're easy to play against so long as you account for the shot knock back. Also too many power player play at the net and I don't know why because lobs freakin kill them.

-Juice-

You know, the motion controls in this game are very disappointing. I expected something more responsive. It feels like I have to fight against the game itself, and the way charge up shots work makes it even more annoying tbh.

Don't get me wrong, the game is a wonderful single player experience, but as a party game...? You're going to have a lot of people that feel like the game is playing them instead of them playing it.

Edited on by -Juice-

3DS Friend Code: 0962-9923-0016

Henmii

Lol: The evil racket is called Lucienne. That must be a reference from The walking dead, namely the bat called Lucille!

As for the game, I only played it slightly so far. My very early impression is that this is yet another "cutting corners" job from Nintendo (okay, made by Camelot. But Nintendo dictated them). I mean: All the characters unlocked from the start (minus the update ones of course), no reason to do all the cups with all the characters since it doesn't show in any way, no ring-shot (though that may be part of the adventure mode). To be honest, I mainly bought it for the adventure mode. Hopefully that brings the goodness!

Henmii

ValhallaOutcast

@Henmii to me it’s a pure multiplayer game, closer to a fighting game than anything else

I like that I don’t have to grind to get the basic opening roster, they can and I am sure will add characters either by dlc or unlocking them

Friend Code SW-4365-4821-7317

bixente

Henmii, if you bought it for the adventure mode, pretty sure you'll be disappointed. Online is great though.

Friend code

SW-0378-6005-8904

Henmii

I know its mostly multiplayer, but I always buy my stuff for the single-player content. And I love unlocking characters, but to each their own. The review on this site said that the adventure mode gets pretty tough later on. Either way, I do hope it satisfies me, but we'll see.

Henmii

rallydefault

@Henmii
Well, I disagree with @bixente that you'll be "disappointed" in the adventure mode. I loved it, but it's SHORT. Like, if you're good and can beat most of the levels first or second try, you'll only need a couple hours to see everything. (I probably took closer to 4-5 hours... wanted to get everything and freakin' Kamek's ship level was insane until I figured out the trick to wrangle his AI).

But yea, I view it like a fighting game like @ValhallaOutcast said. My wife and I play it all the time, I play it with my nephews when they come over, and I play it online. I have dozens of hours into it, but if that's not something you're going to do, you're paying a lot for very little (at the moment).

rallydefault

sdbillustrations

@rallydefault
Shame to hear its short but glad its at least there. As someone who is more interested in single player content I'll be picking this up later on.

sdbillustrations

Moroboshi876

It wasn't until yesterday I found the time to start playing this game and although I've not finished Adventure yet -I play in 1 hour bursts or so-, I quickly understood it was going to be short. Haven't finished it today either, but that's because I play a little Adventure and a little tournament every day.

Problem is for a single-player like me, a game that is so much online-oriented is not enough.

Tournament mode versus the CPU with only three difficulty levels is just a matter of using all characters to lengthen the experience, but once you do that I guess single-player is nothing you'll return to.

So, I don't usually play at home, which is the requirement to engage in online matches, but when I do I think I'm going to lose very hard, as people already report. Well, with the demo released a month ago it was noticeable.

All of this leaves me with local multiplayer, but that's not something I foresee I'm going to use much, because I don't usually have people come over, and when I do... they're just not the gamer type. Even casual.

This is a game for multiplayer, local or online, and single player has been abandoned again. I don't know what the exact complaints were about Ultra Smash, but if its hollowness was one, I don't think Aces improves so much as reviews said.

They could have made a tournaments season -with training exercises between tournaments- in order to move through a ranking like the ATP one, Virtua Tennis style, don't you people agree? This way single-player would have lasted way longer.

But even without that, why aren't there any meaningful unlockables? Why did they have to make all characters available from start? Why isn't there a player vs player local tournament mode either?

This game's single player could have been better, but worst thing is... with the modes it already has, it has no replayability at all and could have been easily done.

On top of that: Nintendo, do you remember a thing called "amiibos"?

Edited on by Moroboshi876

Switch code: SW-2291-6286-4620

Nintendo 3DS code: 2879-0476-7598

My Nintendo: Toni | Twitter:

Anti-Matter

@Moroboshi876
"On top of that: Nintendo, do you remember a thing called "amiibos"?"

And where is Mii player ?
I saw an Empty slot on Bottom Right from "?" Sign.
Possibly.....

Anti-Matter

rallydefault

@sdbillustrations
Yea, sounds like a good decision to wait a bit.

@Anti-Matter
My hunch is they're going to add tons of stuff to this game as time goes by, especially once their paid online system is running. Courts, unlockables, characters (already know that one), modes, and I can even see extra single-player missions.

That being said, that's super disappointing IF they go that direction. That's what other companies do, not Nintendo. It would be very sad to see them go down that road.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

Grumblevolcano

@rallydefault I'm honestly only expecting characters and outfits as tournament rewards for a year then nothing.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

rallydefault

@Grumblevolcano
Nah, I think (sadly) they're waking up to the money-making potential of DLC.

When this paid online system hits, buckle your seatbelts.

rallydefault

SonOfVon

the online is terrible. lags all the time, I have a good connection and very rarely get lag in any game, pc or switch. also the online lacks modes. good thing the local multiplayer is ok otherwise I'd be pissed that I bought the game

Switch Friend Code: SW 5242 9451 6529 | Nintendo Network ID: SonOfVon
🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread  Discord 

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic