Forums

Topic: Civilization VI

Posts 221 to 240 of 409

Justifier

Which difficulties are you guys playing? I have been playing prince and now I have lost 3 games (they were close calls, tho). Whats funny is, that I have played this hundreds of hours on pc, but now I just suck (last game russia went atomic era on turn 194/500, and they had only one campus, and I was like waa?).

"Wake me... when you need me."

Switch Friend Code: SW-0456-5973-9496 | 3DS Friend Code: 0533-4480-5285 | Nintendo Network ID: Justifier

toiletduck

@Justifier So far I've played like 3 or 4 games on the easiest difficulty and even then at the start of the game the AI beats me in all directions. Only until later in the game I'm able to gain an advantage and in the end I win easily. I'm not really playing it for the challenge though; I get enough of that at work I like expanding my territory. So far, every game I've learned something new about the mechanics so I don't think it's a bad thing that I'm playing on the easiest level. It really helps to get into things. Besides that, I hate losing to the CPU. I'd rather beat an easy opponent than get slaughtered by a harder one. That said, I'll probably notch up the difficulty a bit next time I'm playing.

But how on earth is it possible that Russia's science went so fast? Was the campus located surrounded by mountains and did they build science wonders?

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

Justifier

^ I have no idea how they did that.
I would play easy difficulty also, if I didn't have the experience of the game. It just feels like I am playing first time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0456-5973-9496 | 3DS Friend Code: 0533-4480-5285 | Nintendo Network ID: Justifier

Samasaurus

I have been playing on prince difficulty, but lost most of my games. I think it helps to see as much of the world as soon as possible and see what other Civs are up to.

Samasaurus

teixeiras

Really I did follow the tutorial, I played in the easiest level, I'm still completely lost, and I couldn't find a good tutorial in internet that help starting with the game. I spent so much in the game and I can't play it : ( It's really frustating.

teixeiras

toiletduck

@teixeiras if you post your questions here I can try to help you? I hadn't played the game before either, so I may understand where you're stuck.

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

Heavyarms55

I just finished a rather odd game on Prince. I won via science after launching all 3 modules at within 3 turns. But what was odd about it was I managed to ally with everyone but Germany. Even despite my spies bombing the spaceports in Congo and China. It makes me giggle to colonize Mars in the 1980s.

@toiletduck what are you doing early on? Are you attacking your neighbors and losing? When I played on that difficulty I never even had a declaration of war...

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Justifier

On easier difficulties it is usually enough that you keep units at borders, then enemies don't declare war so easily.

And remember kill all barbarian scouts. When they see your city, they tries to run back at their camps and then they will spam you with units.

Heavyarms55

On easier difficulties I rarely even need to keep units at the border. I start with archers and keep one on every city, upgrading as the eras progress. If I am right on the border with a hostile AI, I will build encampments too. But an archer on a walled city is usually plenty. Of course I send out swordsmen to crush barbarian camps ASAP.

Late

I finished another game today. Played as Gandhi and got a religious victory. I got my revenge on Jadwiga who caused me trouble in the last game. This was my first game on King difficulty and my lowest score so far. I put all my attention to religion. Gilgamesh killed Catherine before I even saw her and I think he was going to attack my cities at one point since he started gathering units next to our border but then I asked him if he wanted to be friends and he quickly moved his units elsewhere. First game where I wasn't at war at any point. I think I trained 20 combat units max during the whole game.

@teixeiras I'm willing to help too. I'm still quite new to Civ VI myself but I think I have a good grasp of most of its mechanics.

@Justifier I guess Russia had other means of getting science. World wonders, natural wonders, city states, trade routes, great scientists, resource yields, policies... There are many other ways to increase science. Peter seems to have a leader bonus that gives him extra science from trade routes as well. He could have gotten boosts for a lot of technologies too. It's not beyond the realm of possibility.

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

Heavyarms55

@Late that is impressive. I think the religious route is the least interesting for me. Since there are only a handful of units to spread it. Also this Civ game doesn't let me give horrible names to my religions. In Civ 5 on PC I used to name my religions things like "hentai" and "Yuri lovers" and other childishly vulgar things. It amused me far more than it should have.

Justifier

@Heavyarms55
But you can name your religion. Just pick one that isn't "real" religion. You can't take, like islam and name it, but there are symbols (like turtle) which is not real religion and then you must give it a name yourself.

Heavyarms55

@Justifier Yeah you can, but it blocks certain names. Specifically the childishly vulgar ones.

Justifier

@Heavyarms55
Oh, I did not know that. Stupid, there is not even online game. Is it same with pc version?

Heavyarms55

@Justifier I have the PC version but I haven't played it in a long time. So I don't honestly remember. It wasn't like that in Civ 5 however. I distinctly remember laughing nearly out of my seat the first time I read "Hentai has spread to Jerusalem" .

And yes, I know how juvenile that is.

Bevinator

I don’t normally buy game guides but feel this game is perfect for that kind of thing. Can anybody recommend a good guide for this game? I did a quick google search which didn’t throw up much really.

85 hours in and I still feel like a noob lol

they say that life’s a carousel, spinning fast you’ve got to ride it well. The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams. It’s heaven and hell.

My Nintendo: Bevinator

Late

@Heavyarms55 I'm still quite bad at combat so I'm actually glad there aren't as many religious units. I quite like the benefits that having your own religion gives. I haven't tried naming a religion yet.

Since there are quite a few people here who are still trying to get hang of things, my advice would be to check the in-game Civilopedia. Press R and the icon with question mark. It doesn't straight up tell you how to play the game but it has every building, unit, etc. listed with everything you need to know about them.

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

Heavyarms55

@Late It also has a nice bit of real world history too, for those interested.

oninowon

@teixeiras @Bevinator I don't think there is an official strategy guide for the game, however, you can watch YouTube plays of the game. I watched one developer's video of the game and another Youtuber's video. I'm still on my first game of CIV VI but I've played all the other CIV games. There is a common pattern in all the CIV games and my overall starting strategy has changed very little through each iteration. My strategy for this iteration is this:

1. build a scout and set him to auto explore
2. build a slinger to protect your city. Depending on the situation, points 1 or 2 is interchangeable.
3. build a monument. The monument gives you bonuses to your culture which is important for gaining more land and faster rate on the civic tech tree.
4. It is a good idea to build a settler when your population of a city reaches 3. You want to expand as fast as you can.
5. build a builder to improve the lands around your city.
6. build a storage to increase the rate of population growth.
I think doing those six things early in the game will get your civilization on the right track. It is important to see the strength of your leader and build upon those strength. Also remember that you can build your settlement on hexes with vital resources to get that resource without having to build a builder to cultivate that resource.

oninowon

oninowon

@Late Early on look for the civic card that gives you bonuses against barbarians. As the situation changes look at your available military civic cards and put one or more into effect depending on the situation and your government.

oninowon

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic