Forums

Topic: Civilization VI

Posts 201 to 220 of 409

Quarth

Okay, this will be my game of the evening! Needs to get into it for real. Hope some of you’re here if I get stuck!

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

Heavyarms55

Ugh, I shouldn't have clicked on this... now I want to play more. But I just got several new games too, and I am still playing others...

But I can't help it! Just reading about this game makes me want to jump back in again!

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Mountain_Man

I'm trying to win a religious victory, but it seems very tedious having to spam missionaries and apostles and then slowly move them across the map a few hexes per turn in order to convert foreign cities. Is that really the only strategy? Is there no way to beef up your civilization's passive spread or otherwise protect cities you've converted?

The Mountain Man

JaxonH

Seems like this game is maintaining some good legs post release. It’s still in the top 20 on the eShop. That makes me really happy to see

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JasmineDragon

@JaxonH Yeah, I'm pretty sure it will continue to sell well for a while. There's nothing else like it on Switch, and not much like it on any console. And even on PC it's pretty much an evergreen series.

Sadly, I did not get Civ 6 for Robonukah even though it was at the top of my list. I got Pokemon LG Eevee instead (which is great, I have to say). So I still don't have it, but I will definitely be buying it as soon as our budget recovers from the holiday spending and the road trip we just took. Will just have to keep playing 5 on my PC for a while. I don't mind much, Civ 5 is an amazing game and my Switch backlog is still embarrassingly large.

Edited on by JasmineDragon

Switch FC: SW-5152-0041-1364
Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

JasmineDragon

A general question for anyone who has played Civ 4 or 5 on PC, how are you liking 6 so far? There are some fairly significant changes in city design and new paths to victory, I know. I will buy this either way because I really, really want Civ on Switch, but I'm interested in hearing how franchise fans feel about the new material.

toiletduck

I'm totally over to the one-more-turn dark side you all warned me for. This game could well be going to cost me my social life and if I can't recover fast enough even my job

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

Late

Me yesterday: 30 tourists until I win the game, Kongo is working on science victory but there's no way they'll get it before I win. Next turn I take another look and suddenly I need 100 tourists. I think Kongo got a huge tourist boost from finishing the second part of science victory. Now it really is a race.

@JasmineDragon I wouldn't call me a fan per say since I've only really played Civ IV but I'm really enjoying VI. There are many new mechanics I had to learn but the learning process wasn't as hard as it was with IV. The game gives you tips according to your previous experience and the helpful Civilopedia has pretty much everything you need to know. I'm still playing my first game but even though I had to learn how tourists worked during the game, I still have a good chance of winning the game with culture victory.

I also like the interaction with other leaders more. I feel like I'm actually making relationships with them rather than just trading stuff. I had an alliance with 5 other leaders for a huge portion of the game but now that I'm close to winning, I notice they don't want to be my friends anymore. I may have neglected them for too long.

EDIT: That was very close. Kongo was finishing up their science victory and I was almost ready to admit my defeat but then I did everything I could think of to improve my tourist appeal. The main thing was to change my government. I was bit afraid it would screw me up even more but fortunately some of the leaders had also changed their government type recently. Had to choose one of two governments with 3 followers and it seems like I chose the right one. I won my first game of Civ VI. Yay!

Edited on by Late

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

Bevinator

Played this without doing the tutorial last night and got owned lol. I’ve only had experience with one previous title from the series (civ rev) which I enjoyed and played to death. This game seems to be a lot deeper than that entry. Cannot wait to git gud at this game. Seems like it will become a time sink for me.

So great that a Nintendo console is getting these kind of games 😀

they say that life’s a carousel, spinning fast you’ve got to ride it well. The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams. It’s heaven and hell.

My Nintendo: Bevinator

Bevinator

I loooked at my stats after 10 days on this game and i managed to accumulate 45 hours + in that time 😂

Marathon mode is appropriately named. I started a campaign as India about 4 days ago and it’s still running! Amazing game though. I’m losing sleep cos I haven’t got much gaming time during the day usually.

they say that life’s a carousel, spinning fast you’ve got to ride it well. The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams. It’s heaven and hell.

My Nintendo: Bevinator

Late

I've played 50 hours and I'm on my 3rd game. I got a culture victory in the first two games and now I'm aiming for either domination or religious victory but I have a feeling I won't win.

I was never good at capturing cities in Civ IV and I'm really slow in VI as well. I've captured cities from Gandhi and Gilgamesh so far. Gilgamesh is going to lose his last two cities in the next 10 turns or so. I had a good start with religion since I discovered mine first and was able to spread it to other countries before they had any. My religion was main religion in two other countries but now other leaders are spamming their religion all over the place and I don't have enough faith to counteract. It's fun to aim for another victory condition after winning with culture twice but I still have a lot to learn.

It's its, not it's.

JasmineDragon

Okay, so I finally bought the game, and WOW this could easily become my #1 game on the Switch. All my doubts have dissipated in two days of play. I was always pretty sure I was going to love it, but I didn't know I would love it this much.

I've played every version of Civilization except for Civ IV, including Revolution and the PS1 version of Civ II, and this is probably the best version ever. Diplomacy has been vastly improved over every other version. Trade routes and roadbuilding make so much sense now, and the district system is a thing of beauty. I also really appreciate the big advancements in the spheres of culture, science and religion. There's a ton of new depth here. Civilization has always been an amazing game, but now it's even better.

bixente

Reading all this sounds very promising. I'll definitely pick it up soon.

Friend code

SW-0378-6005-8904

Late

@JasmineDragon You summed it up really nicely. The game communicates things better and everything that happens has a visible reason.

It's its, not it's.

Heavyarms55

@JasmineDragon I played a lot of Civ 5 and Civ 3 before Civ 6 and even though I played a lot of Civ 6 on PC before I got it on Switch, I've dumped 30+ hours into it again on Switch. I really like the district system. I feel it gives a lot more substance to building up your territory. On the other hand, although I like that traders put down roads, I miss the importance of roads from Civ 3 and at least having the ability to build roads manually without needing to tie up traders. Minor nitpick, but I liked bombing roads and cutting off my enemy's resources.

Heavyarms55

Aaaaaaand I broke it. I broke the game. Somehow I managed to glitch it so I am both at war with, and allied with Australia. At the same time. The game is treating it is though both conditions are in effect at once. Or rather, it seems like Australia is treating me as though we are at war, but for me I am their ally. They are pillaging my trade routes, all my city states declared war on them and when I pushed another to be mine it declared war on both Germany (who attacked me previously and I was at war with) and Australia.

This is the strangest thing I have ever seen in this game. I can't fight back. And he can't seem to directly attack me either. But it's really bugged.

Whelp, there goes 2 hours. My auto saves are bugged, gotta go back further to my previous manual save...

Edited on by Heavyarms55

edhe

Starting up my save file again, I set my sights on the Aztec. I'd maintained a friendship with them up until that point, but they were getting a little expansive, so I let it expire, then declared a formal liberation war - partly as a scheme to burn away some of my warmonger score. I ended up liberating a Polish and Indian city, and annexing 4 cities including their capital, giving me a buffer for my capital. It's fun when you're fielding musketmen and bombards against jaguar men and crossbowmen.

So I'm quite dominant at the moment, with a significant edge in terms of infantry tech, but I gained a little more warmonger score in doing so (I didn't raze any cities this time), but before I could scope out my next target (Poland are my allies, but they settled in a pocket right next to my capital, while Macedon denounced me, and occupy an area with ample space for settling), Catherine de Medici decided to throw a Kongo at me again, and now I'm in a surprise joint war against France and Kongo.
I don't think Kongo has many lands I'd particularly want to take with my current warmonger level, but its high time I dealt with France, because this is the third time now she's seemingly instigated a surprise war against me. They're both in no state to do anything to me, but a part of me would like to think it's one of Catherine's grand plans to destroy Kongo by sending them against me.

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6650-8335-1908 | 3DS Friend Code: 4682-8598-1260

edhe

I think I've reached the point of no return. I seem to be constantly at war now, and my neighbours just won't give me a few years to burn away the warmonger penalty. I've been at war with France, England, the Aztecs, India and Kongo, as well as further flung civilizations, but I felt obliged to take a city or two if they have the cheek to declare war on ME.

I was sending a few religious units through Polish lands when I saw they had a fairly large army. Winged Hussars and musketmen to my musketmen (on the cusp of becoming infantry) and Industrial Era cavalry, and then the alliance between us expired and Jawdiga then promptly denounced me.
I then went on to fully annex them - Krakow being my third captured capital.

I've embraced my inner warmonger. No going back now.

Edited on by edhe

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6650-8335-1908 | 3DS Friend Code: 4682-8598-1260

Late

My third game didn't go all that well and I stopped before even reaching the end. I'm still very bad at combat and my world domination plan didn't work out. Neither did religious conversion.

On my fourth game now and this time I wanted to try out true location earth. I'm Japan and my closest neighbor at start was Australia. I was very glad that China didn't get chosen. It would have been much harder to claim land.

The game is almost over. I decided early on that I'd go for either science or religion. I've converted 5/8 countries but I don't have time and resources to convert Jadwiga. She has too many religious units that just stand there, waiting for me to approach. Since I noticed I don't have time for that, I hope I can still get the science victory.

Australia started their space project first but I was able to catch up and now we are both on the third and final step. I have no idea who's going to finish first but it has been a fun game. Much more enjoyable than my failed world domination run.

EDIT: Won pretty easily in the end. Australia just couldn't keep up. First science victory in Civ VI. That was a fun game. I'm much better at religious combat than normal combat. I guess it's just so much simpler. There aren't many unit types. I would've gotten religious victory if it weren't for Poland.

Edited on by Late

It's its, not it's.

Samasaurus

Won my first game!

Decided to play as Victoria on the real world map. The key was using her military and maritime strength to settle North and South America with no competition. Having 2 continents all to myself allowed me to focus on science and build up a strong military. Eventually managed to take all the other capitals.

Really enjoying getting to grips with the game and the various systems.

Samasaurus

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic