Forums

Topic: Best Switch Shmups

Posts 121 to 140 of 156

Ralizah

@JaxonH Collection? I don't think so. Lightening Force is a Sega Ages release, Blazing Star is Neo-Geo, and Gleylancer is a non-Ages Genesis remaster.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JaxonH

@Ralizah
I already owned Thunder Force AC, Lightening Force (is this Thunder Force IV?), and Blazing Star. Just bought Gleylancer. Of all those, Gleylancer intrigued me the most watching a vid.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Ralizah

@JaxonH Yes, it's Thunder Force IV.

Gleylancer actually has more of an in-game narrative than most shmups of this era did. The music is rad, too. Most importantly, it's fairly simple, and a good difficulty for a dirty shmup casual like me on normal mode.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Magician

I hope the rumors of a Radiant Silvergun announcement at TGS turn out to be accurate. It's not only my favorite shmup but also a top-three favorite regardless of genre or platform (Super Metroid is #1 and Panzer Dragoon Saga is #3). If released physically, I'll probably purchase two copies on general principle. September 15th can't come soon enough.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,252 games (as of April 30th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Joeynator3000

JaxonH wrote:

In the last 48 hrs I've purchased the following (I owned a few from beforehand, but only a couple):

....Jeez, dude, calm down. lol

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

JaxonH

@Magician
I've always wanted to play it, even as someone who wasn't into shmups. I just really liked Treasure. Their games were the only ones I paid attention to, since I loved Ikaruga and Sin & Punishment 2 (which is still one of my favorite games of all time).

But Saturn games are stupid hard to play, as that platform is ignored more than any other retro console as far as ports, remasters, VC releases and retro collections.

I suppose I could play on PC but... aside from my affinity for Switch, shmups on the hybrid are like peanut butter and jelly. I just can't imagine playing anywhere else.

If it does turn out to be Radiant Silvergun, I bet Nicalus will publish a physical copy like they did for Ikaruga. I hope, anyways. But just getting the game at all would be a win.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

Been taking full advantage of my extra JP Nintendo Account.

Fumbled through the website menu to unlink my prior primary system for the JP account. Bought all M2 Shot Triggers releases, including ESP ra.de. Psi and the two Toaplan releases, with all DLC. Thank goodness for Play-Asia which makes it easy to buy JP eShop credit. My PayPal doesn't work through the JP eShop.

Was playing some Tiger Heli and Fire Shark today at work on Super Easy. That Fire Shark game is pretty good. Tiger Heli is a bit old for my taste, but I still wanted it for posterity's sake.

Rambler

@JaxonH have you got Pro Gear in the Capcom Arcade Collection?
There's all the 194- games in there as well for older shoot 'em ups

Rambler

JaxonH

@Rambler
Yes! I discovered that one the other day- a CAVE shooter published by Capcom? Yes please! I played the first few stages and it might be my favorite yet. That rewind feature is incredible for learning from mistakes.

The other standout was Gigawing. Super cool mechanics.

Rambler

@JaxonH
I don't think I had every played Gigawing before this collection - it's absolutely crazy, but in a great way.

One day Guwange and Dangun Fevron will both be on the Switch and I will be so so happy (it will happen!! I hope...)

Rambler

JaxonH

@Rambler

• Guwange
  • Dangun Feveron
  • Ketsui
  • Battle Garegga
  • Radiant Silvergun
  • Gradius V
  • Batsugun
  • Mushihimesama Futari

Those are the ones I want most. And I refuse to buy a couple on PS, a couple on Xbox, and emulate a couple on PC, splitting games across every platform. Aside from which I want them on Switch, not only for hybrid play but TATE mode.

We should get Radiant Silvergun announced soon. But Idk about Battle Garegga and Ketsui. Those M2 Shot Triggers already released before Switch started getting them. Not sure they'll back port them to Switch.

JaxonH

Oh my gosh!

Blazing Lazers for the TurboGraphix-16 is absolute fire!!!

I grabbed it from the Wii U eShop since that was the only place I knew to access it. And I couldn't stop playing! Ended up playing through the entire game! With save states, granted, cause I'm not that good. But wow is it fun! Like, really really fun. Possibly my new all time favorite retro game. It's that good.

All those years on the Wii U I slept on this. Now I wonder what other TG16 shmups I should get. There's at least a half dozen others on the eShop.

JaxonH

Trouble Witches Final! Episode 01: Daughters of Amalgam was just announced for Switch. Japan only so far, but physical release confirmed and, it's a cute 'em up so translation isn't really needed to play it.

Hard to find info on the release- I presume it's this one with added content.

MarioVillager92

@JaxonH I actually got Blazing Lazers from the Wii U eShop earlier, and I agree - it's such a good game. Glad I picked it up before the closure. I actually want to pick up some more TurboGrafx-16 games at some point.

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

JaxonH

Radiant Silvergun releases on Switch LATER TODAY!!!

Ryu_Niiyama

I can't wait to die over and over in radiant silvergun again. (seriously I am stoked!)

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Magician

The shmup rpg will be available to more folks now. Makes me happy. I assume this will be somewhere between $15 and $30. Although it doesn't matter I suppose, I'll be buying a digital copy when I get home from work and will be triple-dipping on a pair of physical copies when/if it's made available later on.

Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Joeynator3000

Soooo, what is this Radiant Silvergun game about? It's an old game, right? o.o

Keep it PG-13-ish.

Magician

@Joeynator3000 The story in Radiant Silvergun is another take on apocalyptic grey goo. A long dormant artificial intelligence causes an extinction level event. You play a fighter pilot who combats the A.I.. You fight your way to the complex where it's being held to halt the E.L.E..

As you play through the game your weapons gain levels and power the more you use them.

Joeynator3000

Might look into some videos, but yeah, if it's not bullet hell sometimes it just feels like it wouldn't be fun, and the bullet hells are fun but nightmarishly hard. xD

How I feel anyways, the only bullet hell I was able to beat (even if it was on easy, lol) is Crimzon Clover.

Keep it PG-13-ish.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic