Forums

Topic: Best Switch Shmups

Posts 101 to 120 of 156

Lroy

@bluedogrulez SKYFORCE RELOADED. Speaking of which. Have they ever bothered to go in and fix the leaderboard issue on Switch?

Edited on by Lroy

🇬🇧 Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
🇬🇧 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast 🕹 | 🚀
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

RR529

Against my better judgement I impulse bought RXN: Raijin tonight. Still downloading.

Against my better judgement because I like shmups, but I absolutely suck at them (either that or I just pick the wrong ones). Only other shmup I have on Switch is Zero Gunner 2 which I really enjoy, but can't get past level 6 on the default settings (I think I got to level 7 once or twice a long time ago, but always lost early on in it). I did finish it by lowering the difficulty & giving myself more stock just to see the end, but I occasionally play it on the default setting just to see if I can do it.

With all the pivoting you have to do maybe it just wasn't a good choice for someone like myself who isn't well versed in the genre. For what it's worth I was able to beat all the levels in 3D Classics: Twinbee (I'd always die somewhere in the second loop) back on 3DS (as well as in a couple mobile shmups), but I sucked at 3D Classics: Xevious, and while I really, really enjoy Galaga (I used to play the arcade version at a nearby laundromat semi-regularly, as well as the NES version on Wii), I usually meet my end around level 15 or 16.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

bluedogrulez

@RR529 I hope you enjoy RXN: Raijin. I did. Granted, it's not a classic, but the wide screen and the graphics and all the glorious explosions made for a fun experience. There are one or two bosses that can make you want to pull your hair out, but typically its about using the right fighter for that level, and making sure their experience points are sufficiently built up/maxed out.

Asphalt 9 / Siege Engine FTW

RR529

@bluedogrulez, yeah, I've died a few times so far (and finished many a stage hanging on by a thread), but I've been making good progress.

A better choice for myself than the many unforgiving arcade ports on the system.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

D-Funk

Highly recommend Devil Engine if you haven't played it yet. Quickly becoming one of my favorite Switch Shooters.

D-Funk

bluedogrulez

@D-Funk I missed that one! Looks impressive, though that city level looks EXACTLY like level 1 of Last Resort, a Neo-Geo shooter I love (but doesn't love me, LOL!!). Thanks for the tip!

Asphalt 9 / Siege Engine FTW

D-Funk

bluedogrulez wrote:

@D-Funk I missed that one! Looks impressive, though that city level looks EXACTLY like level 1 of Last Resort, a Neo-Geo shooter I love (but doesn't love me, LOL!!). Thanks for the tip!

lol, yeah, Last Resort is brutal! Devil Engine is pretty brutal too but maybe not quite as hard as Last Resort. Devil Engine is fun too because you keep unlocking stuff as you play similar to Radiant Silvergun or Mars Matrix. Stuff like extra continues, different themes to make the game look different and even challenge modes and different difficulties. It starts you on like crushing difficulty then throws easy mode at you right after, lol. Its funny you mention level 2 because the game has a killer soundtrack except for that level. I had to turn the sound down every time on that level because it drove me and the girlfriend nuts. Its like the TGIF/Full House/Family Matters theme song, lol, just a dude on a sax goin nuts! Check out some of the killer tunes though:

D-Funk

EmirParkreiner

So, i bough some Switch shmups since my last post.

My Darius Cozmic Collection Special Edition arrived from Play-Asia, and it's absolutely awesome. However, for people who think the SE is too expensive, i think the regular edition is a legit choice. After all, the highlights are definitely II and Gaiden .

Further, i downloaded Rolling Gunner from the JP eShop (it's confirmed that it'll get a western release soon), and i can strongly recommend that game, too.

EmirParkreiner

viced92

Stardust Galaxy Warriors or Sky Force Reloaded? They're both on sale

viced92

Kyloctopus

I got Psikyo Shooting Stars Alpha and Bravo recently in glorious physical form.

While I haven't spent too much time in Bravo so far, here's my rankings of the games you can find in Alpha

1. Strikers 1945 II
2. Dragon Blaze
3. Strikers 1945 III
4. ZeroGunner 2
5. Strikers 1945
6. Sol Divide

Kyloctopus

3DS Friend Code: 4897-5952-1236 | Nintendo Network ID: Kyloctopus | Twitter:

NinChocolate

Anyone see that Thunder Striker pea-soup shmup in the eShop? Anybody have any intel on that?

NinChocolate

Fizza

I'm usually not a schmup guy myself, but man, MUSHA is so good dude. I've only been able to beat the first level but it is fantastic. There's such raw visceral PWOAR as you mow down enemies coupled with amazing music and excellent spritework. It's really fun.

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Castlevania Bloodlines (Mega Drive)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

NinChocolate

@Fizza I agree. One of the first genesis games I bought as a kid. I was captivated by the box art alone

NinChocolate

NinChocolate

Been playing Thunder Dragon 2. I quite like this one. I’d also like to buy more of the side scrolling shmups Hamster has put out. I’ve a soft spot for non-Tate shooters

NinChocolate

Joeynator3000

I'm not a huge fan of bullet hells because I suck at them, despite some of them still being fun...

But Crimzon Clover, it's insanity, but at the same time even I'm able to make it far into the game without a single continue. With other games that I like such as Raiden V, even on easy I find myself continuing like crazy the further in I go....ON EASY.

Crimzon Clover's Novice difficulty, I was even able to beat the entire game without a continue, and it's more chaotic than Raiden. lol

So far I was only able to do this on Novice Boost, been messing around with Arrange and trying to beat either Boost or Unlimited. Anyways yeah, Crimzon Clover is a good bullet hell shmup, if a guy that's terrible with these types of games even on Easy but is able to beat this game on Novice despite still being insane chaos, then, you know...it's a good one. xD

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

JaxonH

I've become a believer. Your niche fandom has found a new recruit. Idk why it took me 10 yrs to finally realize I love these games. Just suddenly got an urge to play shmups, and splurged on a whole catalog of them for Switch, both physical and digital. I also ordered a Flip Grip, and in case it doesn't fit OLED well, a vertical grip from Etsy for Switch OLED.

In the last 48 hrs I've purchased the following (I owned a few from beforehand, but only a couple):

• Akai Katana Shin (preordered)
  • Cotton Fantasy
  • Cotton Reboot
  • Cotton 100%
  • Cotton 2 Saturn Tribute
  • Cotton Boomerang Saturn Tribute
  • Crimson Clover
  • Danmaku Unlimited 3
  • Darius Cozmic Collection Arcade
  • G-Darius HD
  • Dariusburst: Another Chronicle EX+
  • Deathsmiles I•II
  • Dimension Drive
  • DoDonPachi Resurrection
  • ESP de.ra Psi
  • Espgaluda II
  • Ikaruga
  • Jamestown+
  • Konami Arcade Classics Collection
  • MushihimeSama
  • Psikyo Shooting Stars Alpha
  • Psikyo Shooting Stars Bravo
  • Psyvariar Delta
  • Raiden IV × MIKADO Remix
  • Raiden V: Director's Cut
  • Rolling Gunner
  • R-Type Dimensions EX
  • R-Type Final 2 + All DLC
  • Sky Force Anniversary
  • Sky Force Reloaded
  • Sol Cresta
  • Steredenn

I'm hungry for more. I hear Treasure might announce Radiant Silvergun at TGS? That's probably my #1 most wanted shmup right now that's not on Switch.

Is there anything else that's a must-have I'm missing? Any exciting news of future bangers on the way?

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Ralizah

@JaxonH Gleylancer, Blazing Star, and Lightening Force are classics that are also very cheap on the eshop.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Any of those included in a collection? Or just individually?

@NeonPizza
An NA digital release would be great. I used a 2nd Nintendo Account I made set to Japan, loaded up with a 5000Â¥ card from Play-Asia and bought digitally from the JP eShop.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic