Forums

Topic: Best Switch Shmups

Posts 101 to 108 of 108

Lroy

@bluedogrulez SKYFORCE RELOADED. Speaking of which. Have they ever bothered to go in and fix the leaderboard issue on Switch?

Edited on by Lroy

🇬🇧 Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
🇬🇧 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast 🕹 | 🚀
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

RR529

Against my better judgement I impulse bought RXN: Raijin tonight. Still downloading.

Against my better judgement because I like shmups, but I absolutely suck at them (either that or I just pick the wrong ones). Only other shmup I have on Switch is Zero Gunner 2 which I really enjoy, but can't get past level 6 on the default settings (I think I got to level 7 once or twice a long time ago, but always lost early on in it). I did finish it by lowering the difficulty & giving myself more stock just to see the end, but I occasionally play it on the default setting just to see if I can do it.

With all the pivoting you have to do maybe it just wasn't a good choice for someone like myself who isn't well versed in the genre. For what it's worth I was able to beat all the levels in 3D Classics: Twinbee (I'd always die somewhere in the second loop) back on 3DS (as well as in a couple mobile shmups), but I sucked at 3D Classics: Xevious, and while I really, really enjoy Galaga (I used to play the arcade version at a nearby laundromat semi-regularly, as well as the NES version on Wii), I usually meet my end around level 15 or 16.

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

bluedogrulez

@RR529 I hope you enjoy RXN: Raijin. I did. Granted, it's not a classic, but the wide screen and the graphics and all the glorious explosions made for a fun experience. There are one or two bosses that can make you want to pull your hair out, but typically its about using the right fighter for that level, and making sure their experience points are sufficiently built up/maxed out.

bluedogrulez

RR529

@bluedogrulez, yeah, I've died a few times so far (and finished many a stage hanging on by a thread), but I've been making good progress.

A better choice for myself than the many unforgiving arcade ports on the system.

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

D-Funk

Highly recommend Devil Engine if you haven't played it yet. Quickly becoming one of my favorite Switch Shooters.

D-Funk

bluedogrulez

@D-Funk I missed that one! Looks impressive, though that city level looks EXACTLY like level 1 of Last Resort, a Neo-Geo shooter I love (but doesn't love me, LOL!!). Thanks for the tip!

bluedogrulez

D-Funk

bluedogrulez wrote:

@D-Funk I missed that one! Looks impressive, though that city level looks EXACTLY like level 1 of Last Resort, a Neo-Geo shooter I love (but doesn't love me, LOL!!). Thanks for the tip!

lol, yeah, Last Resort is brutal! Devil Engine is pretty brutal too but maybe not quite as hard as Last Resort. Devil Engine is fun too because you keep unlocking stuff as you play similar to Radiant Silvergun or Mars Matrix. Stuff like extra continues, different themes to make the game look different and even challenge modes and different difficulties. It starts you on like crushing difficulty then throws easy mode at you right after, lol. Its funny you mention level 2 because the game has a killer soundtrack except for that level. I had to turn the sound down every time on that level because it drove me and the girlfriend nuts. Its like the TGIF/Full House/Family Matters theme song, lol, just a dude on a sax goin nuts! Check out some of the killer tunes though:

D-Funk

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic