Forums

Topic: Zelda's Wii U-Turn to NX

Posts 261 to 280 of 641

shani

VeeFlamesNL wrote:

skywake wrote:

As I've said a few times if it's a portable system then they might be able to get away with it especially if they're heavily leaning on first party content (Nintendo have been working on it for longer). But not for a home console, a home console game needs a lot more work. They need third parties on-board. So if it's a home console I can't see it being 2016.

This. This is what I've been trying to say. If Nintendo releases a home console next year, it might note bode well for them IMO. We've seen their software output for the Wii U (excellent games, one too many droughts), and it's not like third party relationships are built up again the the blink of an eye. Those people who are expecting a home console next year shouldn't be surprised if there are game droughts and lack of third party (and, thus, low sales); yet they will be surprised, and the complaining that will ensue after that... shudders
I expect a new Nintendo home console to launch in 2017, really. Plenty of time to make quality software, and plenty of time to heal third party relationships. Win-win for everyone.

I just stumbled upon this post while I was looking for @VeeFlamesNL's Splatoon Tournament info post and I just wanted to say: I second everything @skywake and @VeeFlamesNL have been saying. I had my fair share of discussions about this in the comment sections and I'm still convinced that Nintendo really mentioned NX so early only to avoid rumors about abandoning home consoles for smartphones and tablets. I'm not even sure if NX is really the final name, it could be just a codename like Revolution was for the Wii.
Anyway, the only possible way for it coming out in 2016 that is see is this: People online rumoring it will come 2016 leading to pressure by the public/news sites and eventually the shareholders. But if Nintendo then would give in and rush the console, it could end in a disaster no one really wants. All the people claiming it will or should be released in 2016 should actually think about that and consider if a 2017 release isn't what we all should want and expect. And this time Nintendo should really improve their marketing heavily before announcing the console officially.

LetsGoRetro wrote:

Let's say every game that came out for either Wii U or 3DS was available on both systems.
[...]
Nintendo is stretched so thin having to make games for both, but if every game can go to both, they essentially double their output.

Totally agree on this. I think it would be a huge benefit and as a Wii U user I also wanted to play many 3DS games that were unreachable for me thus far. So just very recently I ended up ordering a New 3DS. ^^

Edited on by shani

My GOTY? Legend Of Zelda: Splat of the child. Ah no, I meant LoZ: Breath of the SPLATOOOON!

NLInklings Discord server | My Youtube channel

Switch Friend Code: SW-3298-8343-1900 | Nintendo Network ID: shani_ace | Twitter:

skywake

LetsGoRetro wrote:

skywake wrote:

@LetsGoRetro:
That's not what either of them said

What isn't what who said? (whom?)

I'll make this pretty damn clear so you can't do the same to me again. Every time you quote someone you respond to the point you want them to be making. You don't respond to the point they're actually making. It happens every time you make a post. And no, I'm not going to go into specifics again because I know you'll do the same again. And we'll be going around and around for another ten pages doing the same.

You want this thread to get back on topic? Well the only way I can see that happening is if you start to respond to what people actually say. If not then there's no point discussing this topic anymore. I've made my points and others have made theirs. If you don't agree "just because" then that's fine. But don't disagree with us for points we are not making.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

skywake

LetsGoRetro wrote:

I totally agree that they did it to increase output across their consoles. What I'm wondering is how far it goes. Let's say every game that came out for either Wii U or 3DS was available on both systems. Instead of seeming like a barren wasteland for years it would be awash with all those amazing titles that came for 3DS.

Nintendo is stretched so thin having to make games for both, but if every game can go to both, they essentially double their output. Someone like me is a great target. Besides playing and absolutely loving Link's Awakening as a kid, I absolutely just cannot get into portable gaming. I want to relax on a couch with a big screen.

This is the part of strategy I suspect they've been going down. We've already started to see it a bit this generation with assets being reused across games. Ports from the Wii down to the 3DS, games co-developed for Wii U and 3DS. Majora's Mask style sequels on the 3DS. As development gets tougher they're going to have to do even more of this to have a solid release schedule. I can see them building the hardware in such a way that ports between handheld and portable are easy. Because the time to develop games is longer than ever, anything to give a game a wider audience at launch helps. (don't twist this back to "Zelda on NX", that's not what I meant)

But I seriously doubt it would be for all of the games. There are some games that wouldn't work on a big-screen TV and there are even more that a portable would struggle to run. Regardless of what the portable is it's going to struggle to run some Wii U games let alone next-gen releases. So there would have to be some games that were only on one platform. The various 2D platformers and "every generation" staples like Mario Kart, Smash, Animal Crossing etc I could see being the same on both. Leaving room for more original titles.

Edited on by skywake

LetsGoRetro

skywake wrote:

LetsGoRetro wrote:

skywake wrote:

@LetsGoRetro:
That's not what either of them said

What isn't what who said? (whom?)

I'll make this pretty damn clear so you can't do the same to me again. Every time you quote someone you respond to the point you want them to be making. You don't respond to the point they're actually making. It happens every time you make a post. And no, I'm not going to go into specifics again because I know you'll do the same again. And we'll be going around and around for another ten pages doing the same.

You want this thread to get back on topic? Well the only way I can see that happening is if you start to respond to what people actually say. If not then there's no point discussing this topic anymore. I've made my points and others have made theirs. If you don't agree "just because" then that's fine. But don't disagree with us for points we are not making.

Notice how you didn't answer the question you quoted. Because you know I will then post what they said, and what I said, and it will make sense, and then you will again need to either vaguely say I twisted it, didn't get it, or do another "ugh I give up and I'm not responding to specifics" post. Sorry you feel that I respond to what I want people to say, but it's not true. I respond exactly to what they say, but I do it in a way that cuts through whatever fluff they're piling on top to try to add to their point. I simply avoid the fluff and cut to the meat of the problem, and you want me to get lost in the fluff.

The only thing I can think you are referring to is @VeeFlamesNL . He states about 5 times that a reason the console can't release next year is it doesn't give Nintendo enough time to heal relationships with third parties, and that that is important. And I simply told him many times that you can't say "2016 doesn't make sense for a release date because it's not enough time to heal third party relationships. 2017 makes more sense" when you have zero idea about what has been going on behind the scenes for years, and how third party relationships have been healed thus far.

His point is based on assuming he knows things he doesn't. My point is based on me simply saying the math DOES add up for them to have enough time for third parties to get on board. The reason you think I am twisting words or changing what he wants to say is I cut to the meat of the problem with what's being said and answer it in a way that I feel will show them the belief is wrong vs. answering what someone says exactly how the had said it.

Everything you just said in the above quote is completely untrue.

Just like your post, which I didn't respond to, with all the silly math numbers. Go and make up whatever numbers you want. The point is the math adds up for third parties to be ready to have games on the NX within it's launch window, should it release Holiday 2016.

LetsGoRetro

LetsGoRetro

skywake wrote:

LetsGoRetro wrote:

I totally agree that they did it to increase output across their consoles. What I'm wondering is how far it goes. Let's say every game that came out for either Wii U or 3DS was available on both systems. Instead of seeming like a barren wasteland for years it would be awash with all those amazing titles that came for 3DS.

Nintendo is stretched so thin having to make games for both, but if every game can go to both, they essentially double their output. Someone like me is a great target. Besides playing and absolutely loving Link's Awakening as a kid, I absolutely just cannot get into portable gaming. I want to relax on a couch with a big screen.

This is the part of strategy I suspect they've been going down. We've already started to see it a bit this generation with assets being reused across games. Ports from the Wii down to the 3DS, games co-developed for Wii U and 3DS. Majora's Mask style sequels on the 3DS. As development gets tougher they're going to have to do even more of this to have a solid release schedule. I can see them building the hardware in such a way that ports between handheld and portable are easy. Because the time to develop games is longer than ever, anything to give a game a wider audience at launch helps. (don't twist this back to "Zelda on NX", that's not what I meant)

But I seriously doubt it would be for all of the games. There are some games that wouldn't work on a big-screen TV and there are even more that a portable would struggle to run. Regardless of what the portable is it's going to struggle to run some Wii U games let alone next-gen releases. So there would have to be some games that were only on one platform. The various 2D platformers and "every generation" staples like Mario Kart, Smash, Animal Crossing etc I could see being the same on both. Leaving room for more original titles.

I am genuinely asking this because I'm not super familiar:

I understand the Vita can play all ps4 games? Is that true? If so, then it seems a bundled home console/portable pack would maybe be feasible. I actually thought exactly what you did, that it couldn't work because the handheld couldn't play some of the home console games, but I have read and been told that handhelds have come a long way and that the Vita can play all the PS4 games (I think)

Is this true?

LetsGoRetro

Smash_kirby

@LetsGoRetro: I think you can stream almost all games to the Vita. There are some games that use motion controls or the PlayStation camera.

Smash_kirby

skywake

LetsGoRetro wrote:

Notice how you didn't answer the question you quoted. Because you know I will then post what they said, and what I said, and it will make sense, and then you will again need to either vaguely say I twisted it, didn't get it, or do another "ugh I give up and I'm not responding to specifics" post.

I didn't answer with specific example it because I didn't want a wall of text response where you dive down the rabbit hole again. Apparently I shouldn't have responded at all because you did it anyway. But I did answer the question, you've done this to everyone who you disagree with in this thread. Everyone.

LetsGoRetro wrote:

I understand the Vita can play all ps4 games? Is that true?

The Vita and PS4 are close in a similar way that I'd expect Nintendo's two next-gen systems to be. It was a similar deal with the PS3/PSP and PS3/Vita. But no, the Vita can't play all PS4 games and the PS4 can't play all Vita games. For obvious reasons. Streaming is of course is an entirely different situation because technically your games aren't being "played" on the system you're streaming to.

Though on the topic of streaming it's also worth considering the fact that Sony is looking at streaming its games to PC now. Microsoft is doing it already with the XBOne, Valve is also pushing it hard. So I do think that Nintendo's next portable will be able to stream games from their next home console. I also think that Nintendo allowing their games to be streamed to PC isn't out of the question. Some people think off-TV play on the Wii U is a novel idea that "failed", it's interesting that it has become a standard feature.

Edited on by skywake

Churchy

In response to the original thread question, I'd be surprised if the new Zelda wasn't available on NX in some form. It seems like a bit of a waste to just have it on Wii U at this point.

There was a game idea here. It's gone now.

Twitter:

LzWinky

I disagree. They have said for so long that it was coming to Wii U, even in this past Direct, so I think it will come to Wii U. With that said, I would not be surprised if it was also released for the NX.

Actually, now that I think about it, wasn't Twilight Princess also delayed a couple of times? EDIT: Aha, it was delayed by a year. Coincidence?

Edited on by LzWinky

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

skywake

Except that with Twilight Princess the transition from Wii the Gamecube was easy because of the similar internal hardware. Remember how late in the Wii's life they churned out the New Play Control series? Yeah, that was how they could do it. I don't think that will be the case transitioning from Wii U to NX. The less alike they are the more time a port will take.

........ and we're going back to the start of the argument. So at risk of going down that hole again I'll repeat what I originally said. The only way this could work is if Zelda U with the NX in 2016. If it's a year later then the interest in Zelda U on NX will shrink significantly. And I can't see the NX launching in 2016 unless it's a portable.

GrailUK

@skywake: This thread is doomed to move in ever decreasing circles until finally it disappears up it's own op!

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

LzWinky

skywake wrote:

Except that with Twilight Princess the transition from Wii the Gamecube was easy because of the similar internal hardware. Remember how late in the Wii's life they churned out the New Play Control series? Yeah, that was how they could do it. I don't think that will be the case transitioning from Wii U to NX. The less alike they are the more time a port will take.

........ and we're going back to the start of the argument. So at risk of going down that hole again I'll repeat what I originally said. The only way this could work is if Zelda U with the NX in 2016. If it's a year later then the interest in Zelda U on NX will shrink significantly. And I can't see the NX launching in 2016 unless it's a portable.

At the very least, if NX is backwards-compatible, it'll still be playable on the NX either way

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

rallydefault

LetsGoRetro wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

@skywake: Well, the more I review all of the "information" (we say that loosely, of course) we have, the more I'm actually thinking the NX is going to end the DS line and be their next handheld system. It would be a good first step of sorts in creating this new "platform" that they keep harping on about to transition to a new home console in two years' time.

And I know this is just a drop in the proverbial bucket, but I read an article stating that the Wii U was the highest-selling item on Target's website for Black Friday today, and that overall Target had a killer day, even compared to what they were expecting. So that's great news, and a small example of what I think we're going to be seeing: I think Wii U sales are going to rise over the next year, and as we pass the New Year and every day brings us a day closer to Zelda, attention on the Wii U will steadily build. If this game turns out to be anywhere CLOSE to Ocarina's impact and quality, I don't think the Wii U is done quite yet.

(And yes, this is a TOTAL reversal of what I used to think.)

You think the Wii Us fortunes are going to turn around because of a Black Friday sale. Oh, boy. You just dont give up. We all thought this for years, too. If Kart and Smash didnt save Wii U halfway through its life, then Zelda isnt going to at the end of its life.

You know, I was actually kind of on your "side" against Skywake in all of this, and there was no need for such a slight. But now I see what Skywake is saying about you... you don't actually discuss what someone is saying - you simply pick out a word or two that they typed, warp them into something YOU want, and use that as the basis for your next post.

I typed, and I quote, "I think we're going to be seeing: I think Wii U sales are going to rise over the next year, and as we pass the New Year and every day brings us a day closer to Zelda, attention on the Wii U will steadily build..."

Now, how you got "...the WiiUs fortunes are going to turn around..." and "save" from that, I will never know, nor do I care to know. I literally stated that I believe the Wii U's sales are going to increase throughout this coming year, especially as we get closer to Zelda. INCREASE. Not "save" or "turn around fortunes." In the context of the actual argument, if Nintendo is actually making a profit on the hardware, ANY increase in sales (be it a couple thousand a month or 100 units a month) will be welcome.

rallydefault

skywake

LztheQuack wrote:

At the very least, if NX is backwards-compatible, it'll still be playable on the NX either way

True. And technically speaking I'd argue that Twilight Princess on the Wii wasn't far removed from this.

Therad

LztheQuack wrote:

skywake wrote:

I would say that we shouldn't expect backwards compatibility on the NX. If it is indeed a home console, there is a great chance that it is x86 architecture, which means they will have a harder time to make backwards compatibility. And even if they do, it will not be as stable as they have done in the past, since this time they need emulation.

Cross-compiling might be possible, since this mostly rely on the tool set (unless they have used Dark Magic while coding).

Edited on by Therad

Therad

TuVictus

I don't think Wii U sales will really be anything worth mentioning next year. While it's great that it did well at one retailer, the only major game we have for 2016 is Zelda, and Starfox to a much lesser extent. Unless everyone suddenly decides they want to play Splatoon randomly, I suspect sales will stay the same, more or less.

EDIT: And as for the NX thing, Skywake does make very good points, so I really wouldn't be surprised at all/mind if it was a handheld.

As long as it's called an HDS

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

Churchy

skywake wrote:

And I can't see the NX launching in 2016 unless it's a portable.

But if the Foxconn leaks are spot on (and leaks out of Foxconn are usually pretty solid) then we'll see it earlier than we think. Only time will tell though!

There was a game idea here. It's gone now.

Twitter:

skywake

Churchy wrote:

skywake wrote:

But if the Foxconn leaks are spot on (and leaks out of Foxconn are usually pretty solid) then we'll see it earlier than we think. Only time will tell though!

If they're spot on then it could still be a portable system. Something which would also explain the high volumes (20mill shipped) given that a portable is not going to struggle to get close to those sort of numbers. The leak also talks about a very short production for these things, only a few months. If true then this thing is using fairly standard off-the-shelf hardware. Which would suggest either something like a PS4/XBOne clone or it's a portable using old smartphone production lines.

edit: Speaking of smarphones changing the game for Nintendo making portables. I have a fairly cheap Smartphone, got it this year for only about $30 more than what the 2DS retails for here. It's almost comical lining up the specs of the two, the 3DS is seriously outclassed by smarphones even at that pricepoint. It would almost be too easy for them to get a massive graphical leap from the 3DS. Companies like Apple and Samsung have already done all the hard work for them!

Edited on by skywake

Therad

skywake wrote:

Churchy wrote:

skywake wrote:

If they're spot on then it could still be a portable system. Something which would also explain the high volumes (20mill shipped) given that a portable is not going to struggle to get close to those sort of numbers. The leak also talks about a very short production for these things, only a few months. If true then this thing is using fairly standard off-the-shelf hardware. Which would suggest either something like a PS4/XBOne clone or it's a portable using old smartphone production lines.

edit: Speaking of smarphones changing the game for Nintendo making portables. I have a fairly cheap Smartphone, got it this year for only about $30 more than what the 2DS retails for here. It's almost comical lining up the specs of the two, the 3DS is seriously outclassed by smarphones even at that pricepoint. It would almost be too easy for them to get a massive graphical leap from the 3DS. Companies like Apple and Samsung have already done all the hard work for them!

I bought 2 tablets to my kids 1-2 years back, and they have about the same power level as the 3ds. They cost about 70 euro each vs 100 euro for a 2ds. The 2ds has slightly better build quality, it can take a beating better.

If NX is an handheld, I think they really need some edge over the smartphones. I have no clue at to what that could be.

Therad

erv

I hope it'll at least stick with that gorgeous stable 3d effect - with a higher resolution. That would make me run off and buy it for sure.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.