Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 321 to 340 of 70,001

Octane

@Mister_Wu: The GamePad is definitely an expensive controller. I wouldn't mind something that's a little less complex for their next home console though. If they want to innovate again, I hope they come up with something that's not as expensive to manufacture.

Octane

Mister_Wu

Octane wrote:

@Mister_Wu: The GamePad is definitely an expensive controller. I wouldn't mind something that's a little less complex for their next home console though. If they want to innovate again, I hope they come up with something that's not as expensive to manufacture.

I don't know, after all even the "simple" Wii Remote costs about 50€ in Italy, so probably Nintendo likes to have innovative controllers even if they are expensive. If they still want to go with the low power & low cost hardware route, I cannot really blame them for these odd choices...

Mister_Wu

WebHead

@Mister_Wu: yes but hopefully next time its a simpler gimmick that's easier to market and cheaper to make.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Octane

Mister_Wu wrote:

Octane wrote:

I don't know, after all even the "simple" Wii Remote costs about 50€ in Italy, so probably Nintendo likes to have innovative controllers even if they are expensive. If they still want to go with the low power & low cost hardware route, I cannot really blame them for these odd choices...

Wii Remotes are still very expensive to buy, but they're not as expensive to manufacture. The technology is almost ten years old, even the MotionPlus has been around since 2009. I think it's more a case of artificially keeping the price high than actual high manufacturing costs.

Octane

Mister_Wu

WebHead wrote:

@Mister_Wu: yes but hopefully next time its a simpler gimmick that's easier to market and cheaper to make.

That's quite an easy task, unless they really want to sell an improved GamePad or some complex VR thing/Power Glove...

Mister_Wu

skywake

Octane wrote:

Wii Remotes are still very expensive to buy, but they're not as expensive to manufacture. The technology is almost ten years old, even the MotionPlus has been around since 2009. I think it's more a case of artificially keeping the price high than actual high manufacturing costs.

I think it's fair to say that the same is true of the GamePad. I wouldn't pay too much attention to the price they're charging for replacement units. Whether it's through Nintendo themselves or indirectly through a retailer in Japan. It's low volume stuff that's selling to people who have to pick between it and buying the entire console

Probably the newest piece of tech in the GamePad is the NFC reader. Even that was a very low cost mass-production component by 2010, Skylanders launched in 2011. It has been floating around for quite a while before then. Beyond that there's not much in the GamePad that didn't exist in the original DS.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

WebHead

I feel like one of NX'smain goals must be ease of development, because the company must figure out how to streamline development and reduce delays. Nothing wrong with polish and stuff, but they've had to delay a lot of stuff this generation. They can't even get a mobile app out on time.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Octane

skywake wrote:

Octane wrote:

I think it's fair to say that the same is true of the GamePad. I wouldn't pay too much attention to the price they're charging for replacement units. Whether it's through Nintendo themselves or indirectly through a retailer in Japan. It's low volume stuff that's selling to people who have to pick between it and buying the entire console

Probably the newest piece of tech in the GamePad is the NFC reader. Even that was a very low cost mass-production component by 2010, Skylanders launched in 2011. It has been floating around for quite a while before then. Beyond that there's not much in the GamePad that didn't exist in the original DS.

Definitely, but I wouldn't be surprised if the GamePad is one of the more expensive controllers around. They could easily sell them for less than $100 and still break even, but they want to make a profit as well.

Octane

Mister_Wu

skywake wrote:

Octane wrote:

I would agree, we must remember however that the Wii U Pro Controller is quite a standard controller without particular gimmicks, yet it sells for around 40/50 € (online/retail), so I wouldn't raise too many hopes on controllers' pricing.

Edited on by Mister_Wu

Mister_Wu

Frostyboy

WebHead wrote:

What would Nintendo realistically release for Wii U and 3DS until the end of 2018. Come on guys. Whatever NX is it will be out by the end of 2017. Fin

I'm not saying that nintendo will hold out will 2018 to release the NX I just think releasing a console in mid gen is a risk as poeple have just adopted PS4/Xbox

@DefHalan: From what I have read of your post I know you really think the NX is a Micro console but I can not see them supporting three consoles. unless Nintendo are planning to replace their home console with a Micro console and also have a handheld running similar hardware and OS. Anything is a possibility will Nintendo

Swopped my Saga master system for my friend NES and iv never look back.

Miitomo - http://twitter.com/@Frostyboy

Twitter:

DefHalan

@Frostyboy: My idea of a micro console is not a while other system to support but a system that supports the other two and its games are also on the other two system, meaning supporting it is as easy as supporting the handheld and home console. The Micro Console would also be home to the Virtual Console

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Frostyboy

@DefHalan: A Micro NES that has games from NES / SNES / N64 / Gameboy / GBA library and maybe Indy support might sell. But to compete with amazon and google they will have to sell both Hardware and software cheap

Twitter:

Frostyboy

DefHalan wrote:

a system that supports the other two and its games are also on the other two system, meaning supporting it is as easy as supporting the handheld and home console.

How's would it support the other two?

Twitter:

DefHalan

@Frostyboy: They could sell the hardware for cheap. It would be a support system by allowing some download play multiplayer features with select handheld games and streaming from your home console, so you could have your console hooked up in one room and your Micro Console hooked up in another and just stream the game from your home console to your micro console (similar to the Steam Link for PC games)

Frostyboy

@DefHalan: So a ps tv Which didn't sell. Well it's something I wouldn't buy Nintendo always been my home Family console if someone playing single player we normal watch each other doing our best back seat gaming or it's Multiplayer madness.

Twitter:

DefHalan

@Frostyboy: I don't think it is the device's fault that the PSTV failed. I think Sony can't do much outside of 1 game system (PS4)

My Micro Console idea doesn't have to fit everyone but I think it would sell a good amount, offering a cheap alternative to people that want to enter the Nintendo market or wanting a second Nintendo console to play in another room.

Mister_Wu

@DefHalan: Essentialy a glorified GamePad with "proper" (3DS-like) CPU and GPU would do the job, so that idea might be doable for Nintendo. And many Nintendo patents were about new functions of the GamePad.

Mister_Wu

DefHalan

@Mister_Wu: That sounds different than what I was talking about

Frostyboy

Mister_Wu wrote:

@DefHalan: Essentialy a glorified GamePad with "proper" (3DS-like) CPU and GPU would do the job, so that idea might be doable for Nintendo. And many Nintendo patents were about new functions of the GamePad.

So a 1ds?

Twitter:

Mister_Wu

Frostyboy wrote:

Mister_Wu wrote:

So a 1ds?

DS4U

Mister_Wu

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic