Forums

Topic: Could the March 2017 release date point to the NX being a handheld?

Posts 1 to 10 of 10

CandySwirl

Before I start, I'd just like to stay that I still think that the NX is a console/hybrid. However the March 2017 release feels much more like the release date of a handheld (3DS and GBA were released around the same time), so is it possible that the NX is a handheld? Although I've had it in my head the the NX is a console for a while, and the fact that Zelda Wii U is coming to the NX as well could point to a console, that still doesn't mean there is a chance it could be a handheld. Thoughts?

CandySwirl

skywake

Nintendo wrote:

Next, I would like to discuss our strategy for production and shipping of Wii U in the fiscal year ending March 2017. We plan to greatly reduce the amount of Wii U systems produced and shipped for the fiscal year ending March 2017, compared to the fiscal year ended March 2016. Taking into consideration demand for the new NX hardware and overall demand forecasts, we plan to ship 800,000 units.

So yeah, I don't think it's a handheld

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

CandySwirl

skywake wrote:

Nintendo wrote:

Next, I would like to discuss our strategy for production and shipping of Wii U in the fiscal year ending March 2017. We plan to greatly reduce the amount of Wii U systems produced and shipped for the fiscal year ending March 2017, compared to the fiscal year ended March 2016. Taking into consideration demand for the new NX hardware and overall demand forecasts, we plan to ship 800,000 units.

So yeah, I don't think it's a handheld

ah, looks like that's pretty much solid proof that it's gonna be console-like. Nice. (I personally want the NX to be a console.)

CandySwirl

David_NL

It also plays the same Legend of Zelda game as the Wii U, so it's gotta be a console, or I guess maybe there's a possibility there will be a NX handheld that can output on a TV.

I'm eager to find out what it really is and end all this speculation!

David_NL

DefHalan

@David_NL: 3DS plays an enhanced version of a Wii U game (Hyrule Warriors, enhanced by being able to switch to different characters on the field)

Edited on by DefHalan

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

David_NL

NX is a Micro-Console.

What does that mean?

David_NL

DefHalan

@David_NL: It means it is a low-powered cheap system that Nintendo can easily support with small eShop titles, while still having a Home Console that gets big releases. I took the idea a bit further to say the Micro Console would be able to stream games from your Home Console to a TV in another room, similar to Steam Link. It would probably be cheap enough to produce that it could be built inside of the home/portable console that would allow for easier development across the 3 platforms, also hold the apps we come to expect (like Netflix) as well as being the new home of Virtual Console. All VC games would work on the Micro Console and thus work on the other two of controls allow it. The cheaper system would also give people a cheap way into the Nintendo market. Anyone that thinks the Home Console or Portable is too expensive could get a Micro Console to get a taste of what Nintendo has to offer. That taste would be how Nintendo would try to get them interested in their other platforms.

It was an idea I have stuck with and many have criticized but I figured no harm in sticking with it until the NX is officially announced.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

David_NL

@DefHalan: That's an interesting concept. Something like that might appeal to me since I don't know where I'll be living or if I'll have a TV I can use, but I'd still want to play the new Zelda and eshop games and VC. 3 platforms at once does sound like a lot to me though.

David_NL

shaneoh

DefHalan wrote:

@David_NL: 3DS plays an enhanced version of a Wii U game (Hyrule Warriors, enhanced by being able to switch to different characters on the field)

Yeah, it's possible that a handheld would get a scaled down version. Still, I'm reasonably sure that it's a home console, but haven't completely done away with the possibility that it will be a handheld console (it just seems very unlikely).

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.