Forums

Topic: Pokemon Go

Posts 241 to 260 of 328

Rexcalibr

I just got a new phone and I've never played Pokemon Go. Is it still worth playing and fun or am I too late?

Rexcalibr

skywake

@Rexcalibr
I still play it. Just as interesting now as it has been all along. You're just less likely to bump into other people playing the game. But there are still people playing

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Rexcalibr

Why did my dumb brother say the game is "dead" now? A few months ago he told me it was the most fun game ever.

Rexcalibr

skywake

@Rexcalibr
At its peak it was the biggest gaming phenomenon since Wii Sports. Now it's just a very successful mobile game. Something doesn't become bigger than Twitter overnight and maintain that level of hype. There was going to be a point where the active userbase shrunk.

And in any case there's only one way you can really interact with other players in the game. That's building up and taking down gyms. You build up gyms for your team and take down opposing team gyms. On a typical "Pokemon run" I get around 5 gyms, typically I only have 2 or 3 in the morning. Usually I've lost all of them within a few days. That's the only form of player interaction.

The rest of the game is the same as it has been since day 1. You walk around and find Pokemon. Collect items and eggs from Pokestops. Build up more powerful Pokemon and finish your Pokedex. Put your strongest stuff on gyms to claim coins. Spend coins on items to get more Pokemon etc, etc.

If anything I'd argue that now is a good time to play. Either to start or to pick the game up again. Because in the last few days they added moves for gen2 Pokemon into the game. Any day now they could flip the switch and put gen2 Pokemon in the game.

FGPackers

I used to play first Pokemon games, then i dropped the series since a couple of days ago when i started playing Pokemon Go. Wow this game has made me fall in love with this franchise again! It's a little bit disappointing that there's no really interaction between users, but the game itself feels so good to me. I want to see if they release Gen2 Pokemons, meanwhile i'll keep searching for more!

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

Shells

@Rexcalibr Definitely still worth playing especially since, as it's been said, there's not a lot of interaction anyway. You'll have fun finding everything, which was the BEST at the beginning of the game.

My 'dex is almost complete at this point, so I'm really hoping for Gen II soon. I still play on the daily, but I must admit, it is getting a little stale for me. Not even 10k eggs hatching are as exciting anymore, haha.

Shells

Rexcalibr

This is cool cus I was walking on this desert trail and Sandshrew and Cubone was there which made sense. Also a Mankey guarding this apartment gate.

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

Still tho, I bet this game was way more fun when it was trending back in the summer. Still feels bad knowing I missed that.

Rexcalibr

Shells

Those are some cool shots!

Shells

FGPackers

@Rexcalibr I missed it when it was a world wide thing, i'm playing it right now and i'm really loving it! So no real matter about it

FGPackers

FGPackers

Didn't know it when i started playing, but now i've discovered that you need to travel to every continent to complete the Pokedex. That was quite hurting to discover and literally destroyed all joy and happiness i got playing this game. This is really stupid to me and i just deleted the game. That is unbelievable. Region locked Pokemons? Really??

FGPackers

skywake

@FGPackers
I don't know what the big deal is, the game is quite literally built around GPS tracking. Of course you have to to a bit of travelling to get them all. That's kinda the point. Why would Bison appear in Japan or Kangaroos in Europe? How boring would the game be if you could get everything by just walking around the block?

And it's not just region specific Pokemon that are tied to location data. For example each spawn point for a Pokemon has a list of Pokemon that can spawn there. What can spawn there is determined by map data. For example in a carpark, near water, in hilly terrain, in a shop, in a park, in bushland, desert etc. Location specific spawns

So when I go for a walk with the game? I'll come across Clefairy, Jigglypuff, Nidoran, Oddish, Bellsprout etc. No Dratini here although the super rare spawn for this area is Dragonite. If I only ever played the game in my area that's all I'd get unless I was lucky enough to have a decent nest nearby. To get anything else? I have to play the game somewhere else.

And anyway, it's not like they make any extra money from region exclusives. This isn't a paywall. They don't make any money even if you decided to travel overseas to catch a Mr Mime. And in any case the region exclusives aren't that great anyways. The Australian one, Kangaskhan, is arguably one of the best. Even here where pretty much everyone would have one I rarely see it in Gyms

Edited on by skywake

FGPackers

@skywake I'm not saying that i have to find all Pokemons in one spot, infact while i was playing it i kept walking, and walking, and walking. I don't have the possibility to go around the entire world. So i would not be able to complete the Pokedex? It sounds really stupid to me. Why do i have to be forced to go to America to get a Tauros?

FGPackers

Sisilly_G

It would have made sense for the Psyduck family to be exclusive to Australia as well, considering that its appearance more closely resembles the platypus, which is endemic to Australia.

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

skywake

@FGPackers
Why do you think finishing the Pokedex is the main point of the game? Does the game even have much of a point? From the start I thought the game was mostly just about having something to do while you're out and about. If something new comes up while you're doing that then that's cool. If not then maybe next time.

I've played the game fairly regularly since the start. I'm not yet at the point where the only Pokemon I haven't got are the exclusives. If I was at that point? Then sure, the game would be far less interesting. But as it is I still have things to aim for. Something else I want to do in the game. Even if that thing is just take over some more gyms so I can hold them for a while or walk a Pokemon to get some more candy. It's still stuff to do. And while there's still stuff to do what else matters?

The only complaint I have about the game is that we're still waiting for Gen2....

Edited on by skywake

mjharper

Aren't you able to hatch Pokémon from other regions from eggs?

mjharper

Switch Friend Code: SW-1710-0829-4896

FriedSquid

mjharper wrote:

Aren't you able to hatch Pokémon from other regions from eggs?

Technically yes, but they're all baby Pokemon from Gen 2, and most of them evolve into Gen 1 Pokemon anyways, with the exception of Togepi I think. So yes I could hatch a Cleffa but it will evolve into Clefairy... Which I have already caught. Not very rewarding.

Basically then, there's probably no more than 10 Gen 2 Pokemon available, and they're Egg-only. What people want is all 100 Gen 2 Pokemon to be available for capture in the wild (minus Legendaries and starters, not sure how they would handle those)

Sav'aaq!
A Miiverse admin's first day on the job.
"Samus is under fire! She's sent an emergency directive! Join the fight!"
My Squidloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6168-7289 | Nintendo Network ID: captainsquid

mjharper

@FriedSquid Sorry, I meant for example can't Americans hatch Mr. Mime from an egg?

mjharper

Switch Friend Code: SW-1710-0829-4896

FriedSquid

@mjharper Oh haha I see. I confused real world regions with Pokemon regions... I should have checked the last page, my bad

Anyways I'm not 100% sure but I have heard of it happening, although it is probably very rare. Not sure if they are in the 5 or 10 km Eggs but my guess is 10.

Edit: Yes, it does appear that you can hatch them from 5 km Eggs.

Edited on by FriedSquid

Sav'aaq!
A Miiverse admin's first day on the job.
"Samus is under fire! She's sent an emergency directive! Join the fight!"
My Squidloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6168-7289 | Nintendo Network ID: captainsquid

Rexcalibr

What do you think of these pics I took?

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

Rexcalibr

Rexcalibr

Surprised nobody has posted about the new update.

I got G'd up from da feet up. Untitled

Untitled

Also caught a bunch of new pokemon. Come at me haters.

Untitled

There is a new kid in town and he's taking over.

Rexcalibr

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic