Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 6,681 to 6,700 of 12,088

iKhan

I'm not sure if this is unpopular or just unknown, but the "Stage 2" theme of Gourmet Race is nearly as good as the "Stage 1" theme that everyone knows, and it's a shame that it gets over looked

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

NotTelevision

I’m not sure if this an unpopular opinion or many people feel this way, but I don’t see any point to linking (no pun intended) the Zelda games into a timeline. Every time I read something or watch videos explaining what game came first, or what version of Link or Zelda you are playing as it just ultimately confuses me. When there is a direct sequel like Majora’s Mask, it doesn’t even feel that much related to its predecessor. So I’m not sure how I am supposed to parse what is related to the overall (if there is one) narrative of Hyrule or unrelated. Certain games aren’t even in Hyrule, so are those supposed to be spinoffs or is it still Hyrule with a different name?

I’d prefer to think of the main characters as familiar faces they can plug into different settings, while retaining basic elements like are quintessential to Zelda like puzzle solving and exploration.

The lore of Zelda is great but connecting it all becomes a big mess, and may detract from the merits of how Nintendo essentially reboots the franchise every generation or so.

So while it’s fun to see reoccurring characters in the games, how or why they appear I think has more importance on the individual game, rather than some grand metahistory.

NotTelevision

brendathecat

My unpopular opinion....Splatoon 1 and 2 make no effort to maintain a beginner level/casual player base. Playing any of the modes these days will result in a wipeout for a beginner player who gets no chance to experiment with weapons and gear. Nintendo's bare bones approach to lobby set ups and online gaming has made Splatoon, ARMS and maybe some others a "shoo noobs!" zone.

Looking for animal crossing buddies on switch FC is SW-7803-7785-1593

Buizel

@NotTelevision I feel the same. And come to think of it, it's not really something that people try to do with other franchises. Where is the Mario timeline? Or the Sonic timeline?

I'd much prefer the series to have a completely open canvas to experiment in, rather than to have each entry fit its way into some preconceived timeline.

At least 2'8".

kkslider5552000

NotTelevision wrote:

I’m not sure if this an unpopular opinion or many people feel this way, but I don’t see any point to linking (no pun intended) the Zelda games into a timeline. Every time I read something or watch videos explaining what game came first, or what version of Link or Zelda you are playing as it just ultimately confuses me. When there is a direct sequel like Majora’s Mask, it doesn’t even feel that much related to its predecessor. So I’m not sure how I am supposed to parse what is related to the overall (if there is one) narrative of Hyrule or unrelated. Certain games aren’t even in Hyrule, so are those supposed to be spinoffs or is it still Hyrule with a different name?

I think there's some merit to trying to connect the games, but at the end of the day, long term continuity between games is basically never a focus for the series. It's a thing to do for fun, but people will be disappointed if they think Nintendo cares that much about it.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

LzWinky

The timeline also doesn’t explain the constantly changing geography (looking at you, Death Mountain) and logically how the races co-exist.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Krull

Not sure this will be an unpopular opinion, given this is a Nintendo forum, but I am not remotely excited about the forthcoming next generation of consoles. The graphics and processing arms race between Sony and Microsoft has never felt more redundant - all you get is a flashier sound and light show.

Of course, it doesn’t help that we haven’t seen any real thunderbolts in next-gen software yet. I’m sure there will be great games - but how many of them will be great only because the technology has taken another leap forward? Guess we’ll see.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

Anti-Matter

Dillon's Dead Heat Breakers on 3DS needs more attention from gamers.
It was a crime for being a forgotten Nintendo game. No One here ever talking about Dillon's Dead Heat Breakers but me.

Anti-Matter

kkslider5552000

I have a really good one that's actually controversial:

Game devs who are on huge teams where they have no real creative input on the final product need to get over internet criticism of their game. And it's rare for me to defend internet criticism, but if you had nothing to do with something people are complaining about, directly or otherwise, then its not about you.

I'm sympathetic to a lot of devs, especially with how poorly treated they can be in these large companies. But that's exactly why this bothers me, the companies sometimes don't deserve for them to really care. But I hear that some people working on Pokemon were upset by Sword and Shield's reaction and I feel bad for them, but they have NOTHING to do with their complaints. Maybe not even the creative people at the head of the game, because its very obvious that the big problems people had with the game were based off of limited time and resources, not because the devs intentionally decided that less Pokemon and dated aesthetic problems were good, actually!

I used to work at Target and I actually did like that job (surprisingly, with all the horror stories about retail I always hear). But I don't feel personally attacked because of recent things I found out about their anti-union stuff, that'd be stupid. And in general, its often just a bad idea to tie yourself that closely to your job, arguably even when you're able to be creative.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

iKhan

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I'm sympathetic to a lot of devs, especially with how poorly treated they can be in these large companies. But that's exactly why this bothers me, the companies sometimes don't deserve for them to really care. But I hear that some people working on Pokemon were upset by Sword and Shield's reaction and I feel bad for them, but they have NOTHING to do with their complaints. Maybe not even the creative people at the head of the game, because its very obvious that the big problems people had with the game were based off of limited time and resources, not because the devs intentionally decided that less Pokemon and dated aesthetic problems were good, actually!

@kkslider5552000

I usually agree with you, but in the case of Pokemon Sw/Sh, some of the comments were truly toxic, with people calling GameFreak lazy or a bad developer. To use your Target example, I imagine that would be closer to people criticizing Target for poor retail service, saying "Target employees are lazy and don't care"

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

kkslider5552000

I should have mentioned that it's probably also not good to look up fandoms for what you work on if you have nothing to do with creative decisions in the first place. That's not even me justifying it, since even decisions I LOATHED for some games (ME3 original ending, classic example), still get obnoxious, moronic and hyperbolic complaints that no one should waste their time on. The fact that the comments go too far only adds to my point tbh, why would I want devs to deal with that?

I know the common response in any scenario remotely like this that it isn't the devs fault and that's unfair. Correct. Life is unfair. You noticed. But there's no reality you're ending bad online complaints, it's never ever happening, so this is the best thing someone can do for themselves.

And I'd argue having a life beyond your work is just a healthy thing regardless, devs don't need MORE time thinking about their game. Let them live their lives.

LzWinky

I don’t think Sword and Shield were “lazy” at all. They were full-fledged games too.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

The-Senate-66

My unpopular opinion is that Zelda games shouldn't be played for the story. Most Zelda games haven't really had a great story anyway. I see a lot of complaints about BotW's story and personally think that it doesn't really matter. I've had a fun time with the game, even though it wasn't the best. If a Zelda game has a good story, great, I'll take it. If a Zelda game has a story that isn't that great, it won't bother me.

The-Senate-66

Ralizah

@The-Senate-66 People seem to mix up "story" and "storytelling." Most Zelda game "stories" can be streamlined to "collect the [x number] of [macguffins] to [save the world/defeat bad guy]." Zelda stories typically exist to structure a sequence of set-pieces, bosses, and environments into something that resembles a journey. That's it. Not exactly great literature. And this is why the narrative content of BotW is relegated to flashbacks: the structure of the storytelling needed to be changed to properly accommodate the new style of game design Nintendo was going for.

These games have charming characters, but very little is typically done with them, either. I'd argue the depiction of Princess Zelda in BotW is one of the best in the series in this regard. She has an actual character arc, and, for this series, a decently nuanced portrayal.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Ralizah

@T7Hokage017 Let me guess: the english voice acting for Princess Zelda? It didn't bother me, but a lot of people seem to hate it.

Regarding quantity/quality of story in Zelda games, I don't necessarily think the games need strong central narratives. I would like to see the narrative content in quests be improved upon, though. I'm not asking for TW3-tier quests, but way too many sidequests in BotW devolve into busywork. I think the side-content in Majora's Mask is a great model for how the next Zelda game should improve on BotW's formula.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

The-Senate-66

@Ralizah
I agree with your statement. Because of the new open world style Nintendo hasn't really done in many games before, there had to be some story sacrifices. I also agree with your opinion on Zelda. Since she was shown a lot in the game, she has the most character development, making her depiction great.

The-Senate-66

LzWinky

As opposed to all the glorious stories of previous Zelda games?

Sisilly_G

@The-Senate-66 : I don't think any game should be played for the story.

The whole point of games (as far as I am concerned) is the element of interactivity. A great game should enable the player to tell their own story.

I tend to strongly dislike games that are filled with cutscenes. If I wanted to watch a movie, I'd pop in a Blu-ray.

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

Sculptor

Well let's talk about XC2 then. All in all, I'd rate this game a fat 8.5. But I'm actually not sure why, because the majority of the game is, in my unpopular opinion, actually a f****** load of trash! I'm talking about 90% of the sidequests and a large chunk of the main story content.

Usually a quest will go like this:

Start quest at person Y > go talk to X in a super annoying to reach location > wander around looking for the entrance point for half an hour, already finding yourself to slowly get bored > find the entrance and realize you'll have to change up your entire party to get the required field skills > enter and change your party back in case a battle will come > find out that X is stuck in ice, once again change your entire party up, for the third time in less than 2 minutes just to get the required field skills > free X and change party again for the fourth time in 3 minutes > talk to X > receive 4 entirely new quests just to get items necessary to complete the initial quest > notice that they're vague and don't have markers > try your best, but after wasting hours and just getting bored, Google a guide to be able to even complete it in less than 1,000 hours > go to the first quest/location > battle an enemy & collect item, simple enough > go to the second location > once friggin' again change up your entire party to satisfy required field skills & collect item > swap the f*** back again > go to third location - another obscure unreachable place, wander around and find it after half an hour or give up & Google the entrance point > change up your friggin' team to get the required friggin' field skills to unlock the friggin' item > enemy spawns in a cutscene, preventing you from entering the menu before it initiates combat, beating it takes ages because of the distorted party setup > change party baaaack > go to location 4 > game gives you a break and just lets you collect the item, whoa > return to person X to complete the initial quest > complete the quest after all this work? HAH! I was only telling you half the truth! Go to Nopon Y in Argentum for the other half > Nopon Y tells you Mehmehmeh! ask Nopon Z in Gormott > Nopon Z will only give you the info for 50,000 gold - pay > Mehmehmehmeh! I'm stupid and suffer from dementia! I actually don't know what I was gonna tell you but I won't pay you back anyway! Go ask Nopon X in Morytha! > go to Nopon X, who is in a deep sleep and won't wake up > change up your... ugh... entire... party to get... the required... field skills... field skills... FIELD SKILLS... FIEDLEWF#@$#@$# - Nopon X wakes up > Nopon X gives you location A, where surely you will finally find the object you were aiming for since the beginning > once again restore your party setup, noticing aggression in your button presses and releasing sighs of frustration at this unnecessary, annoying & never ending menu chore > location A proves to be false! Wow! But it has a clue leading towards location B > location B is in a #$%##@$ unreachable place, Google or search around for ages and find that you have to... wel... > FIIIEELDDD SKIILLLSSSSSS > change team BAAACKCKKK > arrive at location B, you find yourself in a huge boss battle, finally some actual fun/gameplay > after winning you get the object > return to person Y and actually complete the quest > wonder what the hell you just did to yourself and why.

The game design is the exact opposite of what it should be. Instead of fun it's actually wildly unfun. These quests are a test of mental sanity. Every step is a nuisance. Every little detail is a chore. A quest is a test of patience, attempting to see how much sh** can be thrown at you before you break and put the game away for a few days/weeks. It's just not fun. It's a game that fails to be fun. It fails at the one thing it should be. So why does it score so good? Even with me?

Because yet I'm so freaking addicted I can't stop putting myself through this. In fact, I got 100% completion yesterday. Why? Why?! I'm sure people here can relate.

Also, are quests in Torna this pathetic? If so, I might stay off it and just start the XC remake next month.

Edited on by Sculptor

Sculptor

Krull

@Sculptor Well, but, no, er, I mean, that’s spot on...

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is like a big puppy that chewed up your slippers and made a mess on your carpet. You know you should be angry with it, but you can’t help but forgive it. Unless you don’t like dogs to begin with (for dogs, read grindy JRPGs leaning heavily on shonen anime tropes).

That said, I never met a single roadblock in XC2 that wasn’t story-gated. I always had enough materials or elements or whatever to get through most things, because I developed a kind of OCD compulsion to pick up everything.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic