Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 6,361 to 6,380 of 12,088

PCkid

Bloodstained Ritual of the Night (whatever is the version of the game) is not a great game.
It's a poor parody of the greatest Castlevanias.
If the same game was made by someone else than Iga, this game will be considered as mediocre as it is.

PCkid

Tyranexx

@Dogorilla I agree that some of the complaints regarding Sword and Shield are justified, but I still think it's another classic case of the internet making a mountain out of a molehill.

I think my main problem with Yoshi's Island was that I should've played the game in smaller chunks. Some of the levels seemed a little too long for my liking. I think I was just expecting something sort of (but not totally) along the lines of Super Mario World, which I love to death. The game was also overhyped to me.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

kkslider5552000

I love Yoshi's Island, but I actually understand that. I had similar problems with Tropical Freeze and more fittingly Wooly World. And even in Yoshi's Island its one of the only parts of the game I would actively consider a negative at points (though only if you try to 100% later levels).

It helped that I played it when it came out on GBA, and I barely knew it even existed before the remake came outl, so I had the complete opposite reaction.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Blad

Speaking of Yoshi, I liked Yoshi’s New Island. Sure, it was easy, but it’s like a Kirby game.

Blad

Switch Friend Code: SW-8345-2077-2420 | 3DS Friend Code: 4270-6739-1319 | My Nintendo: Coolcario | Nintendo Network ID: K-Star

NEStalgia

@Tyranexx I love Yoshi's Island, but, it was also confusing because it was labeled as SMB World 2. And after SMB1, SMB2, SMB3, SMB4/World....one has a certain expectation of how the game plays. And Yoshi's Island was a very different type of new game. Not really a sequel to World at all. But it was amazing in it's design.

NEStalgia

Dodger

I'll throw one out.

If people say that Candy Land is a game, but say that "walking simulators" like Edith Finch and "interactive visual novels" like Danganronpa are not games, they are being inconsistent. Games can be about player choice and multiple endings, but the concept is ambiguous and wide enough that it can envelop experiences which are entirely predetermined.

Dodger

NEStalgia

Gunpei Yokoi thought that a game has to be essentially competitive and didn't understand the appeal of RPGs. Now THERE is an unpopular opinion!

NEStalgia

Tyranexx

@NEStalgia I think my main problem with Yoshi's Island was the pacing when playing longer sessions. I didn't marathon it exactly, but I did tend to play multiple levels in hour-long sessions or so.

Overall it's a decent game that clearly had a lot of TLC put into it. That said, parts of World 5 had me seizing at different points (Sooo much falling. It's like dealing with Moldorm in LoZ). Plus, I think Baby Mario is an effective tool for Mushroom Kingdom Parenting 101. 🤪

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Eel

I believe Yoshi’s island is meant to give you a bit of freedom, you decide how much you want to do in every level.

If you decide to go and scrutinize every level to find every secret, then yes, it will be a slow frustrating slog. But you can also just play the levels at you own pace.

I just find the game a little bit slippery or floaty. I often end up scrambling to stay on a platform after a jump.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Nagi

Negative:
-Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum are the worst Main Games in the Series
-Yoshi's Woolly World & Yoshi's Crafted World are rather mediocre
-The New 3DS XL is the worst out of all Modells in the 3DS Family
-A Link to the Past isn't even in my Top 10 Zelda Games

Positive:
-The Minish Cap ist my favorite Zelda Game
-The very first Nintendo DS Modell has the best feeling Controls in the DS Family
-Brawl is better than Melee
-Super Mario Land 2 is my favorite 2D Mario Game

Nagi

Heavyarms55

@Nagi I am really curious why you rank the New 3DS XL below the original 3DS XL or the 2DS XL. I would assume if one didn't like the XL model, they wouldn't like any of them.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

CurryPowderKeg79

Woomy_NNYes wrote:

I LOVE Mario Kart 7 & 8 - over 250hrs in them combined.
I can't believe I'm saying this, but now, after playing Crash Team Racing for 80+ hours, Mario Kart 8 feels like some crappy mobile game. I can't believe it. It's like, once you've hung out in a hot tub for a bit, going back into the colder pool feels like garbage.

Getting 'sacred fire' is a joy. Getting 'ultra sacred fire' is like unhinged, manic, joy. It's sublime.

Blasphemy @Woomy_NNYes this is the Unpopular Gaming Opinions Forum but you go to far my friend.

Edited on by CurryPowderKeg79

(CURRENTLY PLAYING)
ASPHALT 9: LEGENDS

Switch Friend Code: SW-3830-1045-2921

iKhan

Smash Bros. current online rules approach is far better than For Fun vs. For Glory.

I think the reason it seems like most people dislike it is because the people complaining are the people who always played For Glory, because I'm not sure they understood how much For Fun SUCKED. I'm not a hardcore Smash Bros player, but I do like for my games to have SOME level of skill involved. Winning an all-items on with frequent spawning 4-player 2 minute timed battle on Wily's Castle isn't fun. It feels like winning a coin flip.

I much prefer being able to enjoy Smash online with rules that preserve the fun without becoming completely arbitrary.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

kkslider5552000

Woomy_NNYes wrote:

I LOVE Mario Kart 7 & 8 - over 250hrs in them combined.
I can't believe I'm saying this, but now, after playing Crash Team Racing for 80+ hours, Mario Kart 8 feels like some crappy mobile game. I can't believe it. It's like, once you've hung out in a hot tub for a bit, going back into the colder pool feels like garbage.
(EDIT: Should have better explained my point.... When I say 'cheap mobile game', I mean MK8 feels imprecise and sluggish to me now, compared to CTR. CTR is just impressively more snappy and agile.)

Getting 'sacred fire' is a joy. Getting 'ultra sacred fire' is like unhinged, manic, joy. It's sublime.

I'm not disagreeing with the idea that CTR is better since I haven't played it, but its absurd how anyone could play Mario Kart 8 and even imply its imprecise or sluggish. Doubly so since I remember how the early Mario Karts play by comparison.

LzWinky

I smell a supporter of Activision’s surprise microtransactions!

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Sunsy

Thought of some more of my unpopular opinions...

Thinking about the game last night, Shadow the Hedgehog still had its fun moments, even if it was dark for a Sonic series game. Kind of in the mood to play it again.

I sometimes enjoy spin-off games more than the mainline games in any series I like. Like Mario Kart over something like Super Mario Odyssey, for lack of a better example.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE is really one underrated/overlooked Wii U game, and I enjoy it every time I play it.

Edited on by Sunsy

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

BougieBeetle

Here's an unpopular opinion: I actually have a real fondness for Gex: Enter the Gecko and Gex: Deep Cover Gecko, despite their many flaws. We actually discussed this on my podcast this week. The gameplay has some serious problems and I hate the way collectibles were handled in DCG, but the one-liners still crack me up (even though they're outdated) and I love the playful, tongue-in-cheek theme and art design. I would kill for a modern sequel or remaster.

One Stage at a Time, a podcast examining classic games level by level | https://soundcloud.com/onestageatatime

Anti-Matter

DDR is far better than Rhythm Heaven or Taiko no Tatsujin.
I can get addicted to play DDR all day long.

Anti-Matter

Arkay

I enjoyed Brawl much more than Melee and Smash4. Ultimate finally dethroned Brawl.
Shadow The Hedgehog was fun for its time.
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was a MAJOR letdown. I went in expecting to get hooked like the original on the Wii but nope, it drags on and on. Lets not even get started on the horrible character designs and cheesy dialogue.
I'm hoping they rerelease the original with HD touchups on the Switch someday.

Edited on by Arkay

Arkay

kkslider5552000

its been ages so i went to see what i originally wrote in this thread. i was pretty brutal, i even shocked myself

kkslider5552000 wrote:

-the more aggressive defenders of Other M should go to a creative writing class and then apologize to people

this is the best thing i've ever written lol

though to actually try to add to the thread, people mad about the new pokemon should try the many RPGs that actually care about story instead. As much as I like Pokemon, I feel less and less that "you can catch monsters to fight for you" is reason alone to play it over other games in the genre.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic