TheLZdragon

Shantephan wrote:

This should be fun. My unpopular gaming opinions:

• The Dragon Quest franchise is leagues above Final Fantasy

Excuse me, this is the "unpopular" opinion thread

Nintendo Life Community Administrator

Splatoon 2 Rank: Splat S+, Rain S, Tower S

My Eeveeloggery

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | 3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

SilverEdge92

1. I think the Master Key in Dark Souls 1 is an overrated starting item.

It only works on a handful of locks in the game and you never have to go that out of your way to get the actual keys that go to them.

2. I think Platinum Games working on Star Fox Zero was more of a bane than a boon.

Platinum's MO is fast and frenetic action and they always incentivize players to complete stages as quickly as possible. This, coupled with the lack of interesting set pieces (like the train on Macbeth, the blockade run on Area 6, and the 4-v-4 Star Wolf fights, especially the Wolfen II battle on Venom), just make the player acutely aware of how much time they're spending on each stage, and thus how short Zero actually is overall, even though it has roughly the same number of stages as 64. All of 64's stages took what, like 5 to 7 minutes to complete? definitely less than 10, but it never felt like it when playing any given level.

SilverEdge92

Nintendo Network ID: SilverEdge92

subpopz

Shantephan wrote:

• The Metal Gear games are boring with contrived, nonsensical plots

Is this unpopular? I couldn't make heads or tails of what was going on and only sat through the story to get back to the stealth gameplay. I was under the impression these games lost their high stance due to other games with similar stealth gameplay coming out with far less boring, convoluted plots like Splinter Cell.

subpopz

Shantephan

@subpopz Well, everybody keeps gushing about them, so yeah... this is the unpopular opinion I'm afraid.

Shantephan

My Nintendo: Shantephan | Twitter:

kkslider5552000

I actually didn't get that into Metal Gear Solid 3DS. Which I'm not sure how much of that is because of the game (hate the menu system) and how much of that is because its a not brilliantly rated port.

But I do like both versions of MGS1.

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: Slider...

Xyphon22

I remember years ago I was staying at my cousin's house, and he had a PS1 with the original MGS. I had heard so many good things about it so I gave it a shot. I remember thinking it looked and played like an exact copy of Hybrid Heaven, only HH had a deeper RPG battle system and a cooler setting. I'm pretty sure Konami made both, and while I don't know which game came out first, my unpopular opinion would be that MGS is just a poor man's Hybrid Heaven which unfortunately did not become as popular and get many sequels, because I loved that game.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

CreamyDream

Metal Gear Solid is a great game series.

The story is extremely entertaining and has some real unforgettable moments. It knows how to mix up the tone with action, comedy, and melodrama to always keep you interested. Even when the writing is a little wonky, it successfully conveys what it sets out to do.

Metal Gear Solid 2's story is by far the best in the series. It is truly excellent and provides legitimate moments of reflection.

Without the story, the games have great level design and a plethora of mechanics that allow for players to interact with things in so many ways and approach situations differently, which makes replayability a highlight throughout the series.

Bossfights are also just excellent.

I see some of you trynna say MGS has been outdone, but it really hasnt. Despite stealth also being a main focus, Splinter Cell doesnt provide an experience similar at all to Metal Gear, and although I havent even played Hybrid Heaven, that game isnt even the same genre...

Unlike most other games, the first 4 Metal Gear Solid games feel like passion projects. You can feel Kojima's passion and dreams in the game through his strong directorial vision even when the game is faulters a little. This makes the series very personable and unlike anything else.

Metal Gear Solid is a game series that simply isn't for everyone, but it's also not supposed to be.

Edit: btw i didnt grow up with Metal Gear Solid at all, so inb4 "nostalgia"

(I havent played MGS5 btw. Ive played MGS1-4 and Peace Walker HD)

Edited on by CreamyDream

CreamyDream

roy130390

CreamyDream wrote:

Metal Gear Solid is a great game series.

The story is extremely entertaining and has some real unforgettable moments. It knows how to mix up the tone with action, comedy, and melodrama to always keep you interested. Even when the writing is a little wonky, it successfully conveys what it sets out to do.

Metal Gear Solid 2's story is by far the best in the series. It is truly excellent and provides legitimate moments of reflection.

Without the story, the games have great level design and a plethora of mechanics that allow for players to interact with things in so many ways and approach situations differently, which makes replayability a highlight throughout the series.

Bossfights are also just excellent.

I see some of you trynna say MGS has been outdone, but it really hasnt. Despite stealth also being a main focus, Splinter Cell doesnt provide an experience similar at all to Metal Gear, and although I havent even played Hybrid Heaven, that game isnt even the same genre...

Unlike most other games, the first 4 Metal Gear Solid games feel like passion projects. You can feel Kojima's passion and dreams in the game through his strong directorial vision even when the game is faulters a little. This makes the series very personable and unlike anything else.

Metal Gear Solid is a game series that simply isn't for everyone, but it's also not supposed to be.

Edit: btw i didnt grow up with Metal Gear Solid at all, so inb4 "nostalgia"

(I havent played MGS5 btw. Ive played MGS1-4 and Peace Walker HD)

This, a thousand times this. I love that series in every way and I'm amazed how different every entry is from the past one or the next one. The story is really long, and many things happen, but everything has a date and reason why, yet people call it a mess because most of them haven't played every entry, specially Peace Walker and Portable Ops, which some believe isn't canon, but it is and even some story events mentioned in other games because Kojima didn't direct it, however he approves most things about it. Most FF entries and Kingdom hearts series are a complete mess in terms of story, yet people attack the MGS series simply because most haven't even played them accordingly. Same with the cutscenes, which may be large in the past entries, but the game doesn't use quick time events and there's a lot of gameplay and different approaches to it.

This series has the kind of "heart" Nintendo games have. The passion and love of the people that worked on it can be seen at every moment. Oh well, to each his own. I'm really happy to be a fan of the series and while the ending of it was really bitter, the ride was amazing. If MGS 5 is an unfinished product as many say, Kojima is simply brilliant and even then delivered more than many others could ever have with a complete game. Just my opinion.

roy130390

iKhan

The Metro Kingdom is the worst of the large kingdoms in Super Mario Odyssey. The metro-art style got bland quite quickly. The linear side levels aren't all that well designed. It just felt like a lot of mini-objectives scattered everywhere, many of which weren't all that fun. Pretty much everything in the Metro Kingdom was done better in the Sand Kingdom.

ARMS is amazing. I hadn't had a feeling like that in a fighting game since playing Smash Bros Melee long ago.

Currently Playing: Super Mario Odyssey, ARMS, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Steamworld Dig 2, A Hat In Time, (maybe some Wii games over Thanksgiving w/ the fam)

CreamyDream

iKhan wrote:

The Metro Kingdom is the worst of the large kingdoms in Super Mario Odyssey. The metro-art style got bland quite quickly. The linear side levels aren't all that well designed. It just felt like a lot of mini-objectives scattered everywhere, many of which weren't all that fun. Pretty much everything in the Metro Kingdom was done better in the Sand Kingdom.

ARMS is amazing. I hadn't had a feeling like that in a fighting game since playing Smash Bros Melee long ago.

I will agree that Metro Kingdom felt a tad more segmented than other kingdoms but i dont think thats a bad thing.

If every level was structured the same, the game would be quite monotonous and Metro Kingdom was a wonderful change of pace.

I think the worst kingdom is EASILY the Lake Kingdom

CreamyDream

Xaldin

Here's a few of mine:

• Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny is the best Rune Factory game
  • I enjoyed Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World more than the original
  • In terms of the "ultimate Wii JRPG debate", I prefer The Last Story to Xenoblade Chronicles
  • In the Danganronpa series people say Kokichi is just a wannabe Nagito, but I think Kokichi is the better character

My Switch username is Cynas. If you know which game that name comes from without looking it up then I'm very proud of you.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5466-6715-6498

iKhan

@CreamyDream I agree. Though I was far more disappointed with the Snow Kingdom, given that they got ice mechanics so right in the Galaxy games. It felt like a step back, while the Lake Kingdom just felt meh.

Currently Playing: Super Mario Odyssey, ARMS, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Steamworld Dig 2, A Hat In Time, (maybe some Wii games over Thanksgiving w/ the fam)

Imagamerboi

I think Sonic Forces is an amazing game! I am also really enjoying Mario Party The Top 100!

UPDATE: Bowser just ate some cake and it was yummy

Snaplocket

@Xaldin I think XC 1 is one of the most overrated games ever while XCX is actually really good.

Snaplocket

NEStalgia

@subpopz I'm at the point that I more or less loathe indie almost as much as the AAAs. Every time one talks of PC there's always that one in the group that goes "but indie games and retro games!" That's not, to me, what made the golden age of PC so great. Sure there were breakout hits like Tetrinet and Subspace from the indie-ish scene. But what you say is an indication that the core of PC rotted out some time ago. It's now split between the same big budget AAA blockbusters that are garbage on any platform (now, lootbox enhanced!) and a vast sea of indies with insufficient budgets to realize their actual visions, most of which fall short of being genuine retail grade releases, and the "nods to older eras" are often hollow and introspective rather than genuinely advancing the medium. Where the corporate games are soulless, the indie games tend to be rough and unpolished, or primitive in scope. Every once in a while an indie appeals to me, usually on Nintendo platforms, I did just get my Axiom Verge retail bundle after all....

But if you look back at 90's PC gaming or early 00's, before the OG X-Box, before the uber-budget push into AAA there were all these mid-budget games from "big name" publishers. id's games alone (Quake 1, 2, 3, and the Ravensoft campaigns)....they were tech powerhouses pushing the envelope, but were done with MUCH more modest budgests and sales expectations of "AAA" today. Look at the great volume of work that came out of Interplay at the time. The "Big" games, Baldur's Gate (Bioware did that with a fraction of their EA budgets and it was a far better series), Descent, Freespace, Fallout 1 & 2, Planescape: Torment, Icewind Dale, and then the weirder games, MDK, Redneck Rampage, Twisted Metal, GIANTS, all kinds of mixed stuff. Sierra (that got bought by Vivendi (the same ones that want to buy out Ubisoft) and rolled into Activision, and then killed), they had their great Rainbow 6 competitor in SWAT, they had Leisure Suit Larry, They published Half-Life back before Valve became a bigger company than themselves! King's Quest, Arcanum....and then there was Activision itself with the Zork games. The mid-tier companies like Cyan doing Myst series by themselves....Acclaim with their mid-tier off the wall stuff.

That was the golden age. Something changed around the launch of the X-Box that broke PC gaming. That whole mid tear from names big and small has vaporized, and its replacement is a few dozen mega-budget games, and scores of indie games of varying limited quality, limited scope, or both, a few gems hidden between, all of them looking backward to recreate the past small pieces at a time, and few to none of them managing to reconstruct where that past was going before it was derailed.

XBox, today, is, of course, just a PC with a monthly fee. PS straddles that line a bit...it's become part of what XBox is, but also maintains occasional traces of its PS2 era roots (rarely ever touching its PSX roots, sadly.)

Nintendo, particularly with it's Japanese library tends to stay closer to the past's version of the future.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Xyphon22

@Xaldin While I didn't like Dawn of the New World better than the original, I did really like it and thought it was a really good game. But I definitely liked Last Story the best of the Operation Rainfall trilogy. That game was great.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

CreamyDream

Snaplocket wrote:

@Xaldin I think XC 1 is one of the most overrated games ever while XCX is actually really good.

I actually agree with this

XCX is amazing

XC1 has a great story, great music and presentation. But the gameplay and level design is pretty weak. Controlling the player's movement in the overworld isnt very fun, the level design isnt too great and doesnt reward exploration so much, and the combat is monotonous.

Edited on by CreamyDream

CreamyDream

Snaplocket

Xaldin wrote:

Here's a few of mine:

• Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny is the best Rune Factory game
  • I enjoyed Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World more than the original
  • In terms of the "ultimate Wii JRPG debate", I prefer The Last Story to Xenoblade Chronicles
  • In the Danganronpa series people say Kokichi is just a wannabe Nagito, but I think Kokichi is the better character

I agree that Last Story is a great game and Kokichi is my favorite rival character. But where the heck did you get the idea that he was disliked? Kokichi is almost as popular as Nagito.

Snaplocket

kkslider5552000

CreamyDream wrote:

doesnt reward exploration so much

This is kinda factually untrue considering it rewards you with exp, sometimes quite a bit IIRC. I think X does too, but I'd put Xenoblade 1 above X in this regard purely on the basis of how often exploration will lead you to running into overpowered enemies in X (not that this doesn't happen in 1, but it's less frequent).And tbh, in both games, I've always considered exploration for the sake of it to be the main draw of exploration.

The rest of your complaints are valid enough.

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: Slider...

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic