Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 6,381 to 6,400 of 6,625

DarthNocturnal

@CreamyDream

I guess I'm just a lot more lax when it comes to these things then. Fun fact; I am one of the few people on this planet that actually kinda liked Darth Vader & Yoda being in Soul Calibur IV. I understand (and even agree) that they don't “fit“... but I thought it was amusing all the same.

I thought Smash 4 kinda-sorta revisited the “backstory“ with amiibo... although, that's not quite the same as what they had back then.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

Snaplocket

@DarthNocturnal What bugged more was that Smash 4 took out the awesome classic clear cut-scene and the CONGRATULATIONS message at the end. WHY!? Sucked all the magic out of the game for me.

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

Snaplocket

@CreamyDream The classic mode in the Wii U version SUUUUCCCCCCCKED!

Haywired

CreamyDream wrote:

Soul Calibur made it a staple to have guest characters as soon as the 2nd game

Ah, Soul Calibur. When Link appearing in a non-Zelda game actually meant something.

I mean in the last couple of years Zelda characters/costumes have appeared in Super Smash Bros, Super Mario Maker, Bayonetta, Mario Kart 8, Monster Hunter Stories, Miitopia, Animal Crossing New Leaf, Skyrim, Monster Hunter 4, Yoshi's Woolly World, Nintendo Land, Fatal Frame 5, Phantasy Star Online...

I remember when it was announced that Link was going to be in Soul Calibur, it was huge news. Nowadays it would be more newsworthy if he didn't bloody show up in some form...

Snaplocket

@Haywired Well Link IS one of Nintendo's most iconic characters. He's right behind Mario and Pikachu in recognizance.

TheLZdragon

Would Bayonetta really count as a 3rd party anymore? Nintendo now publishes her sequels.

Anyway, I disagree with the no-3rd-party stance. I think having gaming icons like Pac Man, Mega Man and Sonic has a great significance on Smash. I would, however, like to keep 3rd parties to a minimum though.

Edited on by TheLZdragon

Nintendo Life Community Administrator

Splatoon 2 Rank: Splat S+, Rain S, Tower S

My Eeveeloggery

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | 3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Octane

@TheLZdragon SEGA still owns the IP. A future sequel could be multiplat in theory. So yes, I'd say that still counts as third party.

Third party characters in Smash are like non-Mario characters in Mario Kart. They're fine as long as they kept to a minimum, so they can be switched out for each new game. They can be the guest or surprise characters. I'd be more interested if the next Smash has Bomberman for example instead of Pac-Man for a second time.

Octane

TheLZdragon

Okay fine. She's a 2.5 party character

But still, I wanna beat the crap out of Sonic in the next Smash

Nintendo Life Community Administrator

Splatoon 2 Rank: Splat S+, Rain S, Tower S

My Eeveeloggery

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | 3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

DarthNocturnal

I think 3rd party will always be in the minority (Smash 4 was no different). Any subversion of this will likely take place in other games (like a hypothetical Nintendo vs Capcom).

Snaplocket

I feel third-parties should only make up 10-15% of the roster. A few are fine, but I felt 4's DLC was really pushing it.

DarthNocturnal

@Snaplocket

According to my math, we still have a buffer of 5% in Smash 4 then. 3 other character's could've been swapped out for 3rd parties, and we'd be just around 15%.

(10% of 58 is 5.8. We had 6 3rd party characters. 15% is 8.7. In case anyone is curious).

Snaplocket

@DarthNocturnal Well you have to account for clones too and Bayonetta is sorta first party since both 2 and the upcoming 3 are Nintendo exclusives. I'm surprised Nintendo didn't just straight up buy the IP.

Octane

@CreamyDream No, because Nintendo paid for those games, so it's just as likely as Mario Odyssey appearing on other consoles. I mean, maybe in a hundred years when Nintendo isn't around anymore. But in the foreseeable future? Nah, it'll remain a Nintendo exclusive.

Octane

Chandlero

CreamyDream wrote:

We all know they'll eventually make their way to other consoles, even if it takes years.

In the case of Bayonetta 2, this is only possible if Nintendo agrees to this and wants to make money outside its own market. And there is no reason to do this.

EDIT: @Octane You beat me in response time

Edited on by Chandlero

Snaplocket

Chandlero wrote:

@Snaplocket: For buying something, there has to be the desire to sell it first on the other side..

@Chandlero ...and Sega hasn't sold the IP yet despite doing nothing with it yet because......

@Octane CreamyDream said years. He never said HOW MANY years.

Edited on by Snaplocket

Octane

@Snaplocket Because they're making money while Nintendo pays for the franchise and Platinum Games develops it.

Octane

Madelleste

Unpopular opinion: 2D gameplay is much better than 3D gameplay... in all genres.

Madelleste

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic