Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 6,341 to 6,360 of 12,088

Blad

I’m pretty sure that this isn’t an unpopular opinion, it just depends on what console you grew up on, Mario Kart DS was the best Mario Kart Game in existence. Mario Kart 7 should’ve been DS, but more.

Blad

Switch Friend Code: SW-8345-2077-2420 | 3DS Friend Code: 4270-6739-1319 | My Nintendo: Coolcario | Nintendo Network ID: K-Star

Tyranexx

Heavyarms55 wrote:

New unpopular opinion, I'm still excited for Pokemon Sword and Shield. Maybe not as much as I would have been before the "controversy" but I still very much look forward to playing it.

I am as well. The "controversy" does exhibit some negatives, but I really do think a lot of people are making a mountain out of a molehill.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Heavyarms55

@MegaSwitch I can't speak to the current meta-game for the TCG, but around the 4th generation DPPT/HGSS era of the card game, it was really solid and competitive. I played the game a lot. It remained pretty solid into gen 5 until they released one of the worst cards ever printed... Hypno Toxic laser. Yes, basically a gun for the trainer to poison the opponent's Pokemon and put them to sleep on a coin flip. A utter horrible idea completely breaking the theme of the game and reducing many games to revolving around the coin flips caused by that one item card. That's around when I left the game.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

MarioVillager92

@RedderRugfish You may know this already, but they're making a TurboGrafx Mini right now:

@Rutty_YT I don't see myself getting Splatoon 3 either, actually. Splatoon's a fine game, don't get me wrong, but I keep running into players who tend to grief (how I noticed it was that some players had 0 points at the end of the match). It's not necessarily the game's fault, but that happened to me a lot while playing Splatoon 2 - one time I lost a match and two of my teammates had 0 points at the end. That's what turned me off from the game, and I'm afraid that if Splatoon 3 does happen, it'll have that griefing issue too.

As for Mario Kart DS, yeah I think a lot of people would agree. My favorites are Double Dash and 8 (Deluxe), but DS is still solid in its own right. I played it a ton of times back when it came out.

Edited on by MarioVillager92

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

kkslider5552000

i mean that's true, but if you grew up with snes and still have one, it was worse than being a wii u owner with a switch

i did not, so i largely agree though, but lets be honest, by that logic, a computer or a psp was better than any older nintendo system, roms lolololololololol

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Buizel

Somewhat gaming but more generally tech related -

I don't really like mechanical keyboards. Those that I have used feel clunky and the keys have too much resistance. Plus I'm not keen on the noise. I'd much rather use my laptop keyboard any day.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

Buizel

Another comes to mind -

I think the Gamecube controller is overrated. I absolutely adored it at the time (and it arguably holds up as the best controller of the generation), it feels great to hold, and for some games (e.g. Smash) the unconventional face button layout just seems perfect. However, the D-pad and C-stick are poor, and I find the analogue stick to be too stiff. Most controllers since (ignoring Wii and Wii U) have improved on shoulder buttons also.

In fact, I think the only redeeming factor of the Gamecube controller in the modern day is the unique face button layout.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

Cotillion

@RedderRugfish I get what you're saying about the GBA/SNES, but they are also a decade apart. The SNES was Nintendos first foray into a lot of the things that SNES could do, so of course a decade later they would have gotten better at it and added improvements to the sequels and remakes of the SNES games that the GBA got.
I don't disagree with the opinion, I don't think it's quite a fair comparison, though, given the time span between them.

Cotillion

Buizel

@RedderRugfish speaking of both Gamecube and GBA...

It's a real shame that the GBA player was only on Gamecube. The Gamecube controller is very ill-suited towards GBA games.

At least 2'8".

Dogorilla

I once played most of Donkey Kong Country on Wii VC with a Gamecube controller before I had a Classic controller. That was a mistake.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Anti-Matter

@RedderRugfish
"so if there's a sequel that fixes these issues then I might be willing to try it."

Try Harvest Moon Tree of Tranquility Wii.
You can play as either Boy or Girl.
If you are boy, you are looking for wife and if you are girl, you are looking for husband.
You still need to give gifts to them but to get engaged with them, you must do their favors. You must join in lunch date, do their request and accept their love confession. After that there will be an event about Blue feather (an item to propose eligible bachelors / bachelorettes) and after you get that item, you can propose your lover.

Old Harvest Moon didn't have specific events to get engaged more with your lover. Just keep giving them gifts until they are eligible enough to get married. But starting from Harvest Moon Tree of Tranquility, you must do their quest to able to marry them.

Btw, i played as a Girl on Tree of Tranquility and married with Owen because i'm looking for Handsome Husbando, not interested with Waifus.

Anti-Matter

iKhan

I like the platforming mechanics in Super Paper Mario more than I like them in the full 2D Mario Platformers. Mario's movement just feels so much more natural like it does in the 3D Mario games.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Sunsy

Splatoon is not unplayable without motion controls. I used a wired Yoshi controller to play one day because my Joy-Cons needed charging. Didn't do too bad with joystick aiming and won a few games. Maybe it helps as I've played other shooter games on Switch and Wii U with joysticks, so I'm use to it.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

AlliMeadow

@Grisinblue they have released 4 new IPs since the release of the Switch. Although one could debate their quality. 1-2-Switch, Snipperclips, Arms and Labo are all new Nintendo IPs.

They also have third party studios making exclusive new IPs like Astral Chain and Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle.

They've also had several new IPs over the years since the 3DS and Wii U were released:
Boxboy
Code Name: Steam
Pushmo
Dillon's Rolling Western
Ever Oasis
Tank Troopers
Nintendo Land
Splatoon
Star Fox Guard

Again, not saying all those IPs are brilliant, and most of them didn't take off. Splatoon being the exception. So they are doing original IPs, and almost the quantity you want.

Not arguing against you. I'd also like more original IPs from Nintendo.

AlliMeadow

Nintendo Network ID: Alli-V-Meadow

kkslider5552000

Grisinblue wrote:

For a while now, I feel like the Nintendo game development teams have been creatively bankrupt.

...eh.

Like on one hand, I do think Nintendo is kinda mostly stuck on its popular IPs right now. They know what sells, they know what people want, and at best they'll sneak an Arms in there if a team is available not working on their popular thing. At some point I would like to see them focus a bit more on something new and exciting. I always adored how during the Dreamcast era Sega basically said "**** it" and put out as many bold, creative games as possible.

But that was also clearly dumb, since the Dreamcast killed Sega's role as a first party gaming company (granted, it was the final nails in the coffin built by Sega's terrible Saturn decisions...). And when most of what people want is from their pre-existing franchises, its hard to justify making more games like...um...Arms. And I think it's really unfair to undersell the creativity and effort put into a lot of these sequels.

BOTW fundamentally broke 20 years of the Zelda formula and went against a number of normal gaming conventions, especially in the open world genre it was going for. It was almost like if Team Ico was given the task to make Skyrim at points, it's pretty out there for such a major title. Super Mario Odyssey is absolutely filled with creative ideas with the countless "captures" you can do, that almost inherently has more variety than the other 3D Mario games. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate was intentionally made to be a best of Smash Bros rather than a wholly new game, and still included a completely new style of story mode and spirit gameplay to go along with it. That's even ignoring the time they gave Mario to Ubisoft and we somehow got "Rabbids crossover strategy game". Like if they really wanted to make something uncreative, they could, and would likely get away with it. I mean, some of the best selling Switch games are just ports of Wii U games.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

LzWinky

Grisinblue wrote:

@AlliMeadow
You make some good points, but unfortunately none of them did anything for me.
Nintendo Labo is the perfect example for the points I was trying to make earlier. From a hardware perspective it's a truly creative and amazing little idea. But from a software perspective, it's nothing to write home about. The games included are boring at best.

I love Nintendo for their hardware, they're by far the best and most innovative in the business when it comes to that, but that creativity doesn't seem to shine through in their games anymore.

So...basically...you want new IPs that appeal to you, but any other new IPs don’t count. Got it!

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Krull

RedderRugfish wrote:

I'm fine with certain games never getting sequels and remaining one hit wonders. Particularly, action games with a unique gameplay gimmick that pretty much the entire game revolves around.

Games like Drill Dozer and Mischief Makers were really fun and unique games, and yet I don't really feel the need for a sequel. I'm sure die hard fans of those games will disagree, but personally I felt that there wasn't really much more the creators could have done with them and that a sequel would just be overstaying their welcome a little bit.

Couldn't agree more. I think of something like The World Ends With You, and it just doesn't need a sequel. By all means take those gameplay ideas or the aesthetic and go somewhere else with it, but don't try to continue a story that is already beautifully complete.

This is one of the beauties of series like Final Fantasy. Not every game is a winner, but each numbered entry does a pretty good job of being distinct from the previous one.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

Tyranexx

Yoshi's Island, while clearly a platformer that had a lot of care put into it, is a sloggy collectathon.

[Begin slight rant]
I also don't think the Pokemon removal and animation controversies for Pokemon Sword/Shield are anything to get too up in arms about, particularly since we don't have all the details for how Pokemon Home will work just yet. I'm tired of seeing the complaints about those various facets and, honestly, the complaints in the article comments here and elsewhere online have made me not even want to discuss the game with fellow fans. I've actively been avoiding topics of discussion and have just been following the news on my own for the most part.
[/End slight rant]

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Dogorilla

Tyranexx wrote:

Yoshi's Island, while clearly a platformer that had a lot of care put into it, is a sloggy collectathon.

You should see Crafted World! It's a really fun game for the most part but the number of collectibles is ridiculous.

Tyranexx wrote:

I also don't think the Pokemon removal and animation controversies for Pokemon Sword/Shield are anything to get too up in arms about, particularly since we don't have all the details for how Pokemon Home will work just yet. I'm tired of seeing the complaints about those various facets and, honestly, the complaints in the article comments here and elsewhere online have made me not even want to discuss the game with fellow fans. I've actively been avoiding topics of discussion and have just been following the news on my own for the most part.

Yeah I agree, some of the complaints are somewhat justified but the amount of negativity towards it is way over the top.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic