Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 6,341 to 6,350 of 6,350

StuTwo

@Sir_Anthony Nope - it's just an astonishingly good (if slight) game. It's incredibly welcoming and inventive (boss battles in an auto runner!) but it also distils everything great about Mario games. The levels are incredibly dense in secrets, Mario's jump always feels perfectly within your control and it turns Mario into a very addictive competitive asynchronous multiplayer game (meaning it is in many ways much more re-playable than any other game in the series).

...whether I actually really think it's the best is of course a different issue but I do think you could make the (unpopular argument) that it is.

StuTwo

Sir_Anthony

Fair enough, if you ask me, Mario Run's gameplay is a bit too simplistic to be called the best 2D Mario. But I haven't played all of it so perhaps some of the later levels give the game more depth.

I was actually just curious if you would defend your opinion by making that joke, and you did with valid reasoning, I respect that

A piece of the Triforce appeared before you! (>'.')> โ–ฒ Touch it now!

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2624-1857 | Nintendo Network ID: Acegamer-62

NaviAndMii

Yeah, I thought the PS2 - and its library of games - was great too...

I was always a Nintendo kid growing up, but decided to broaden my horizons and get myself a PS2 when I found out that DMA (Rockstar) and Free Radical (former GoldenEye devs) weren't going to put their latest releases on the GameCube...and I never regretted it.

My GameCube was great for the occasional dorm-room multiplayer sesh - but my PS2 was always my go-to console throughout the entire generation...from TimeSplitters to Burnout, Gran Turismo to Grand Theft Auto - and a whole bunch of other titles in between - it kept me entertained right up until the day I had it stolen! **grumble grumble**

HALO was the only Xbox game that I felt I was missing out on - but I felt that TimeSplitters (I/II/FP) had my FPS needs well covered, so always felt pretty secure in my decision! ..I'd say the PS2 was the best console of that generation by some distance if I'm being honest

๐ŸŽฎ SNES ๐ŸŽฎ N64 ๐ŸŽฎ GB ๐ŸŽฎ GG ๐ŸŽฎ PC ๐ŸŽฎ PS2 ๐ŸŽฎ GC ๐ŸŽฎ PSP ๐ŸŽฎ Wii ๐ŸŽฎ X360 ๐ŸŽฎ PS4 ๐ŸŽฎ MDC ๐ŸŽฎ Switch ๐ŸŽฎ

Currently playing (online): Mario Kart 8 Deluxe & Splatoon 2

MK8D: R: 8500+, B: 2000+ | Splatoon 2: Lvl: 41, RM: B+, SZ: B-, TC: A-

โฉMy Gamesโช

Switch Nickname: TomCatโ˜…

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | My Nintendo: NaviAndMii | Twitter:

Ralizah

@Xyphon22 There's something that annoys me about the sound design in most of Nintendo's SNES games that I can't explain.

I really liked A Link to the Past and Super Metroid, but I don't think either game is the best in their respective series: ALBW is a better 2D Zelda game, imo, and while Super Metroid was a hugely groundbreaking title, I thought Zero Mission was a stronger experience overall.

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

kkslider5552000

That reminds me, and I'm sure I've brought this up before, but GBA music was just disappointing. Something about its attempts at I guess like, pseudo-instruments, just did not work out a lot of the time. That combined with how they sounded on a GBA makes it kind of a lowpoint for Nintendo music.

Like the first and occasionally even the 2nd DKC ports just utterly butchered 2 of the all time great video game soundtracks, Mario Advance 2 pales compared to Mario World (like the halfway point between the original and finding random fanmade midis), FR/LG is my least favorite main Pokemon soundtrack, Fusion wasn't the best, the Castlevania games didn't live up to what came before or after, that F Zero game's soundtrack didn't work. Even the original GBA versions of the Ace Attorney games we never got are so clearly inferior to the DS versions. I never liked Super Circuit's music until their tracks were in later Mario Karts. Nightmare in Dreamland had its issues and KATAM wasn't great (and sounded better when they literally put the same songs in the DS Squeak Squad), when Kirby is otherwise pretty consistently great for music. Sonic Advance games as well, and that takes some effort to not knock it out of the park for music in a Sonic game.

It's so weird because GBA was peak years for me playing games and shamelessly enjoying video game music, so it says something that a lot of games disappointed in that regard imo. It's not even like they're bad but more often than not, they're really low by the standards of the series they're in. I think the only GBA games where I love the music would be Mario and Luigi, Metroid Zero Mission, Mother 3, Minish Cap, Advance Wars 1/2, Golden Sun 1/2 and a couple of others. And I can easily name more for SNES, a console I never owned. Or 3DS, a system where I'm not even into a lot of the retail titles I've gotten and haven't played even half of Nintendo's good games for it.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: Slider...

Fiyaball

I like pretty much all the GBA music, but yeah, the port of DKC1 had some pretty terrible music. I much prefer the music in the GBC version.

Fiyaball

CreamyDream

kkslider5552000 wrote:

That reminds me, and I'm sure I've brought this up before, but GBA music was just disappointing. Something about its attempts at I guess like, pseudo-instruments, just did not work out a lot of the time. That combined with how they sounded on a GBA makes it kind of a lowpoint for Nintendo music.

Like the first and occasionally even the 2nd DKC ports just utterly butchered 2 of the all time great video game soundtracks, Mario Advance 2 pales compared to Mario World (like the halfway point between the original and finding random fanmade midis), FR/LG is my least favorite main Pokemon soundtrack, Fusion wasn't the best, the Castlevania games didn't live up to what came before or after, that F Zero game's soundtrack didn't work. Even the original GBA versions of the Ace Attorney games we never got are so clearly inferior to the DS versions. I never liked Super Circuit's music until their tracks were in later Mario Karts. Nightmare in Dreamland had its issues and KATAM wasn't great (and sounded better when they literally put the same songs in the DS Squeak Squad), when Kirby is otherwise pretty consistently great for music. Sonic Advance games as well, and that takes some effort to not knock it out of the park for music in a Sonic game.

It's so weird because GBA was peak years for me playing games and shamelessly enjoying video game music, so it says something that a lot of games disappointed in that regard imo. It's not even like they're bad but more often than not, they're really low by the standards of the series they're in. I think the only GBA games where I love the music would be Mario and Luigi, Metroid Zero Mission, Mother 3, Minish Cap, Advance Wars 1/2, Golden Sun 1/2 and a couple of others. And I can easily name more for SNES, a console I never owned. Or 3DS, a system where I'm not even into a lot of the retail titles I've gotten and haven't played even half of Nintendo's good games for it.

I dont think any of what you said is unpopular.

Most people even cite the GBA's sound as a main reason for GBA ports of SNES games being inferior to the SNES originals

The only GBA osts i like are Mother 3, Wario Land 4 and WarioWare, DKC3's remade ost, and the Pokemon games...

... But pretty much all the songs in R/S/E and FR/LG have better versions in other games...

I would agree with just about all you said

CreamyDream

Link-Hero

@kkslider5552000 @CreamyDream There's a reason why every GBA game varies in different sound quality. To put it simply, it's because it didn't have a dedicated sound chip. In order to produce sound, the GBA used the processor. The problem with doing this is that the visuals also need to use that same processor. Because of this, sacrifices had to be made. If you wanted good visuals, you had to lower the sound. If you wanted good sound quality, you had to lower the visuals. Why did Nintendo decided to do this? To reduce the productions costs.

I've also never been a fan of the GBA's sound effects or music due to how easily they can get ear grating.

Link-Hero

Nintendo Network ID: LinkHero25

kkslider5552000

I realize other people agree with my opinion, but I've seen enough people disagree for a lot of these examples and more importantly, I consistently suggested the music in a decent chunk of Nintendo games weren't that great. So...yeah.

...it's far from the least unpopular opinion in this thread anyway.

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: Slider...

Whydoievenbother

SPOILERS FOR DEAD SPACE:

The twist in Dead Space wasn't all that surprising. The reveal that Isaac's wife is a hallucination caused by the marker to control him was incredibly predictable, at least to me.

P.S. Don't take this as me suggesting that anyone who didn't find the twist predictable is dumb. I just wasn't all that surprised by it.

Edited on by Whydoievenbother

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic