Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 6,341 to 6,360 of 1

CreamyDream

Sonic Forces is a pretty good game. I enjoyed it the whole way through and im going back to 100% everything.

While I don't like its high moments as much as Colors, a bad level in Forces isnt nearly as annoying as a bad level in Colors.

I think people's eagerness to bash the series is far more toxic and blind than "Sonic apologists".

Seeing comments along the lines of "fans make better Sonic games than Sonic Team XD! I'm so observant and smart for noticing such irony" in nearly every Sonic video or review now makes me cringe.

Sonic Mania is an excellent game and I most definitely prefer it over Forces, but...

I don't want to denigrate or demean the success or hard work of the team that worked on Sonic Mania as they are very talented and deserve the success but,

Sonic Mania is so heavily leaning on Classic Sonic's success that it'd honestly be surprising if the game WASN'T as good as it is.

Not only are merely 4 levels in the game genuinely new, but even then, a lot of the work was done for them back in the early 90s by Sonic Team.

The game handles identical to S3&K with the exception of one new mechanic for Sonic and the omission of his little air spin thing from Sonic 3. Meaning, that the designers of the game didnt have to come up with how to make Sonic handle, that was all done for them. All they had to worry about was arranging level designs interestingly, revamping and creating art, and making music (a lot of which is also just remixes)

(Edit: I am aware the Mania devs actually did the programming for the game themselves, but replicating something that already exists and is proven to work isnt nearly as difficult as making something new)

A vast majority of the theming in the game was also done for them, as almost every level borrows its theming from the past. The devs didnt have to come up with many ideas at all; just how to spice up existing ideas that they already knew worked.

It took real talent to make Sonic Mania; I'm not saying that it didn't.

However, it doesn't require nearly as much work as something like Sonic Unleashed, Colors, or Forces.

Sonic Mania is practically the videogame equivalent of a cover or a remix album, and the content that it's remixing is, in fact, from (the 1990s) Sonic Team.

The devs for Mania were even given access to the design documents of old games to follow it as closely as possible too.

They didn't supplant Sonic Team.

The Sonic Team back from the 90s did most of the hard work for them, and the current Sonic Team facilitated Mania's development.

Even with all that said, as much as I truly love Mania, I don't even think it surpasses 3 and Knuckles.

The edgy claim that "fans are better at making Sonic games than Sonic Team" is just dumb.

Come back to me when fans make a new complete Sonic game with better gameplay and production values than Generations with a brand new story and levels.

After that, you can make fun of Sonic Team for being upstaged by fans all you want.

Edited on by CreamyDream

CreamyDream

LuckyLand

@CreamyDream "Come back to me when fans make a new complete Sonic game with better gameplay and production values than Generations with a brand new story and levels."

It already happened with Sonic Mania, sorry
Nobody needs to be smart or observant to notice that sometimes fans create better games than Sonic Team of today do, it is so obvious.
If just using the same ideas and the same source material to create games is better than trying to create something completely new, in 3D, than most of the times just end up being ugly and disappointing, why don't Sega guys do it themselves?
I don't want Sega to give me proof they did a big amount of work to create something that maybe is not fun nor satisfying either but "come on, they made it from scratch, they did a lot of work!" I don't care about their work. I don't gain anything by it or by knowing they did it. I just want a pleasant and fun game.
A new 2D Sonic game, completely similar to old classic ones but with a hand drawn HD graphic style similar to what they did with Wonder boy would be far better than any 3D Sonic game they can create.

I like a few 3D Sonic games, I'm not 100% against it but for sure they are all disappointing compared to what Sonic was in the beginning.

"Sonic Mania is so heavily leaning on Classic Sonic's success that it'd honestly be surprising if the game WASN'T as good as it is."
Imho this is not true at all. Sonic 2 for example is total garbage imho. Many 3D Sonic games are better for me. 3D Sonic games that I really don't like are at least less worse than the complete disaster Sonic 2 is. It is not that easy to create a good 2D Sonic game just because you have the basics already done and can build up your work from that.

Also, please, anything that goes further than "Eggman is kidnapping animals to create badnicks, let's go to rescue them and give Eggman what he deserves" in the sory department is a disgrace for Sonic and for any other game of this kind. I don't want to know anything more, I don't want anyting more than this to be here, I just want Eggman, badnicks and kidnapped animals to set free. Everything else than this is a damage for the game.

Edited on by LuckyLand

LuckyLand

Rextephan

First time posting on this Topic, I hope everyone keeps it civilized.

• Super Mario 3D World is my favorite Mario game of all time.
  • Breath of the Wild is one of my least favorites of the franchise.
  • Donkey Kong 64 is the worst of the Country series.

Rextephan

My Nintendo: Rextephan | Twitter:

Octane

Unpopular opinion: Donkey Kong 64 isn't part of the Donkey Kong Country series.

Octane

Rextephan

@Octane Well, you can certainly look at it that way because of gameplay differences I guess. However, the game takes place in the Donkey Kong Country setting and is a continuation of the story.

Rextephan

LuckyLand

I agree about Breath of the wild and Donkey Kong 64

LuckyLand

gcunit
  • Super Mario 3D World is my favorite Mario game of all time.

Full disclosure - my Mario experience is not what it should be. Mario Odyssey is really my first crack at the 'sandbox' style Mario (I've played about an hour each of 64 and Sunshine), and I've only played 5 hours so far, but my favourite is still currently SM3DW too.

SM3DW provides a great balance between linearity but also allowing a bit of exploration. The result is tight levels, but still with some fun to be had away from just trying to get to the flag. I've got no complaints about Odyssey (other than the half-tone use), but so far I prefer the tighter style and general design of SM3DW.

Edited on by gcunit

I've just held an Ignored Users amnesty on my account. 20+ users are back in the game with an extra life - make it count :)

Currently playing: Rocket League - Chess Ultra - Super Mario Odyssey - FIFA 18

SW-3124-5612-5724

Nothing is true; Everything is permitted.

Buizel

Rextephan wrote:

Donkey Kong 64 is the worst of the Country series.

I think this is the popular opinion (at least these days) , and I personally agree with you. Whereas the SNES trilogy has aged extremely well, the same can't be said for DK64.

My unpopular opinion: Sonic Colors is one of the weakest 3D Sonic games. The boost engine isn't suited towards the short stages and the heavy reliance on 2d platforming, and I personally despise anything wisp related. As a pretty big Sonic fan, I honestly can't see what people saw in this game.

Edited on by Buizel

Buizel

NaviAndMii

Ugh..

Many of the best N64 games have actually aged well in my humble (and no-doubt unpopular) opinion!

Mario 64? ..still looks and plays great!
Ocarina of Time? ..still looks and plays great!
Perfect Dark? ..still looks and plays great!
Banjo-Kazooie? ..still looks and plays great!
Diddy Kong Racing? ..still looks and plays great!
Mario Kart 64? ..still looks and plays great!
GoldenEye 007? ..still looks and plays great!
(...OK, not all games have aged that well, graphically-speaking - even so, they're still nowhere near as 'eye-offending' as some like to make out that they are!)

...and I don't think that Donkey Kong 64 (in all of its Expansion Pak glory!) can be accused of 'not having aged well' - looks were never the issue - it was just the gameplay (which became a bit of a chore past a certain point) that brought/brings it down a bit ..still a solid 8/10 (like it's always been) IMHUO though!

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 SNES 🎮 N64 🎮 GB 🎮 GG 🎮 PC 🎮 PS2 🎮 GC 🎮 PSP 🎮 Wii 🎮 X360 🎮 PS4 🎮 MDC 🎮 Switch 🎮

Currently Playing (Online):

PS4: GT Sport (DR: D, SR: S)

Switch: Mario Kart 8 DX (R: 8500, B: 2000) | Splatoon 2 (Lvl: 46, RM: A-, SZ: B+, TC: A)

Switch Nickname: TomCat★

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | My Nintendo: NaviAndMii

Chandlero

That reminds me on my unpopular gaming opinion:

(Old) Rare games are not good games.

I mostly played all Rare games in the SNES era, the N64 era and finished my experience with Star Fox Adventures in 2003. I must admit that I enjoyed most of the games but I think just for the presentation. The graphics and especially the soundtracks were outstanding, but the gameplay was boring, uninspired and imprecise.
Just after playing DKC:TF, in 2014, I realised what I missed in the Donkey Kong Country games in SNES era: good game mechanics.

Edited on by Chandlero

Rextephan

@Chandlero Yeah, Rare is highly overrated in my opinion. I've never been a fan of their 3D platformers, including Banjo Kazooie. They're fine when you start out, but after a time become really boring with all the collecting. The only N64 game of Rare I couldn't stop playing was Perfect Dark's multiplayer. And yes, I played all of Rare's games back in the day. The DKC trilogy on SNES was pretty good though.

Rextephan

LuckyLand

I also agree about Rare being highly overrated.
I barely like Donkey Kong Country 1 but only because I like Donkey Kong as a character. Returns and Tropical Freeze are so much better.
Graphics weren't that great either. Common 2D pixel art is so much better at least when it is of good quality. Those pixelated 3D look a like mess used by Rare back then look really ugly imo.
Music was great tough

Edited on by LuckyLand

LuckyLand

Octane

@Rextephan Maybe if it was called Donkey Kong Country 64... Gameplay is completely different too. The games don't have a lot in common.

Octane

NaviAndMii

Gosh, I'm not having that either...the best games on the N64, like with every other Nintendo console, were the first-party (Nintendo developed) games, sure - but Rare (Nintendo published) probably contributed as many top quality titles by themselves as all other development studios combined as far as I'm concerned! ..I'm looking through my N64 collection right now and I have to say, when I compare my favourite 5 Rare games (Conker's Bad Fur Day, Banjo-Kazooie, Perfect Dark, GoldenEye and Diddy Kong Racing) to my favourite 5 other non-Nintendo developed games (Quake, Star Wars: RACER, Space Station: Silicon Valley, Body Harvest, Blast Corps) I'd probably be more inclined to play my Rare collection! (..Perfect Dark especially - I still maintain that I'm yet to play a better FPS! )

Rare really weren't too far off of the (proper) first-party Nintendo in terms of quality, in my opinion - and without their contributions the console would've been really lacking in depth and diversity - I still put their N64's games on the same pedestal that I always have, right along side Nintendo's own!

Maybe that's just my gaming palate - and others may have had a more varied collection - but without Rare, I don't think that I'd have enjoyed my '64 half as much as I did! (..and I still maintain that the graphics haven't aged all that badly either! )

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 SNES 🎮 N64 🎮 GB 🎮 GG 🎮 PC 🎮 PS2 🎮 GC 🎮 PSP 🎮 Wii 🎮 X360 🎮 PS4 🎮 MDC 🎮 Switch 🎮

Switch: Mario Kart 8 DX (R: 8500, B: 2000) | Splatoon 2 (Lvl: 46, RM: A-, SZ: B+, TC: A)

Rextephan

@NaviAndMii Blast Corps was a Rare title as well. I fully understand your reasoning though. I'm not saying Rare made bad games at that time, on the contrary. I just think they are way overrated to the point they are often seen as the second coming of Christ... which they are not.

Rextephan

Ralizah

@NaviAndMii I think N64 graphics are easier to stomach if you have some nostalgia for them. I didn't grow up playing N64, so Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time are almost physically painful to look at (and play, in the case of Mario 64). The ripped-up-construction-paper-soaked-in-vaseline look of Mario 64, in particular, is stomach-turning.

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

NaviAndMii

Rextephan wrote:

@NaviAndMii Blast Corps was a Rare title as well.

Oops - yeah, you're right! ..thought it was a DMA game for some reason! :/

Rextephan wrote:

I fully understand your reasoning though. I'm not saying Rare made bad games at that time, on the contrary. I just think they are way overrated to the point they are often seen as the second coming of Christ... which they are not.

Yeah, I'll openly admit that I do look at my N64 (like the rest of my childhood) through a pretty thick pair of 'nostalgia goggles'

I, personally, would probably say that Rare were responsible for the best two shooters of the generation (GoldenEye and Perfect Dark) - the 2nd and 3rd best platformers (Banjo-Kazooie and Conker's Bad Fur Day, behind Mario 64) - and arguably the best racing game (Diddy Kong Racing) ..and that includes the games I played on rival consoles at my friends' houses - but that's just me (and I'm more-than-likely biased!)

Diddy Kong Racing and Perfect Dark, in particular, stand out as real real gems of the era - DKR, to me, improved on the 'Mario Kart' formula in almost every conceivable way - and I still consider that Perfect Dark has the best single-player story, co-op mode, weapon-selection, local multiplayer and replayability of any shooter I've ever played (which is kind of a shame in a way ..controls, connectivity and graphics may have moved on - but that's pretty much all that has IMO)

...but, yeah, I can't deny that I'm a bit lot of an N64 fanboy at heart - so I probably can't be trusted to look back on the era with any amount of reasoned objectivity!

EDIT: They even invented the twin-stick shooter!

Untitled

...well, kind of!

Edited on by NaviAndMii

kkslider5552000

While I still love Rare's 90s games, it's not really "they made games I really liked" that make that era so impressive to me nowadays. It's that during their time with Nintendo, they made a lot of games for one developer, most of them were very, very well received, several of them were very influential and significant for the genre (Goldeneye being the most obvious example), and they did so with like half a dozen different genres. That's the thing that makes Rareware absolutely legendary to me, because I can't think of a single developer since then that has even remotely been able to pull off anything similar.

And srsly, Nintendo would be borderline ****ed in the late 90s without them. Rare was like 1/3 of Nintendo's games on the N64, and probably 1/2 in terms of games people care about, either then or now.

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: Slider...

DracaRamen

kkslider5552000 wrote:

And srsly, Nintendo would be borderline ****ed in the late 90s without them. Rare was like 1/3 of Nintendo's games on the N64, and probably 1/2 in terms of games people care about, either then or now.

True that! Rare's games were absolutely necessary and they were, almost all of them, great titles for their time.

My unpopular opinions:

• The only good Star Fox game is Star Fox 64
  • Super Mario 64 and Sunshine are boring

DracaRamen

My Nintendo: DracaRamen | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic