Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 2,241 to 2,260 of 12,088

Fee

Was this thread originally titled "upopular gameing opinions" cuz that's what it says in the URL.

Anyways my opinion. Female armor tropes make games better.

Artwark wrote:

I honestly don't see how youtubers claim that if it wasn't for them, Nintendo would not be alive in this modern era. I challenge the youtubers to not show any game footage of an upcoming game by Nintendo and when it comes out, don't even bother doing a let's play on that game. It should sell incredibly well without the youtubers word of mouth.

The fact that youtubers act like bigshots claiming that they are a part of the marketing team yet just either rant or complain about the product rather than encouraging the viewers to buy it, just shows that they aren't helping Nintendo in any way. Heck why do youtubers complain about it if they can easily just avoid Nintendo related content and stick to several other IP's outside of Nintendo to get their "Hard earned money" on?

I agree. Youtubers think they're way more important than they actually are.

Edited on by Fee

Fee

Nintendo Network ID: Savoir

Whydoievenbother

A part of me dies whenever someone says Mirror's Edge was an amazing game.

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

GracefulGazelle

I think people rag on Other M way too much and I liked Samus as a character in Other M because they at least tried to give her character some depth.

GracefulGazelle

Nintendo Network ID: Marioman21 | Twitter:

Whydoievenbother

TICGS wrote:

I think people rag on Other M way too much and I liked Samus as a character in Other M because they at least tried to give her character some depth.

(a) She did have depth. She just conveyed it through ACTIONS, not play.
(b) What you saying is that a cardboard character is better than a blank slate character. Look at link. He didn't have too much depth. But when they DID try to give him depth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4SLjLen7-c . I think we can all agree that blank slate link is FAR better.

Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

CanisWolfred

Tales of the Abyss is fairly popular, actually, and arguably one of the highest rated in the series, even if it wasn't the highest selling like Symphonia and Xillia.

But yeah, Apollo Justice gets a little too much flak, it actually was a pretty interesting idea and the excecution seems alright so far.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

CanisWolfred

I've never seen anyone list Destiny as their favorite myself, though I've seen quite a few list Phantasia as a favorite (myself included). Not to say it doesn't deserve it, but then again, I'm of the opinion that Xillia and Legendia are the only entries not worthy of some amount of praise.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

iKhan

I can't stand collection quests that only reward you when you collect everything. Okami's Stray Beads are a good example. You have to collect all 100 for them to be useful at all.

The problem with this is that it's very unlikely I will happen across every single hidden item within a normal playthrough. So it will force me to use a guide. But if I have to use a guide to complete a sidequest, I'm not going to feel as good about completing it, and the reward will mean less.

I prefer something like the Gold Skulltulas in OoT, where you are rewarded as you go. If you don't get them all, you still feel like you are being rewarded for finding the ones you did find.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

DiscoDriver43

iKhan wrote:

I can't stand collection quests that only reward you when you collect everything. Okami's Stray Beads are a good example. You have to collect all 100 for them to be useful at all.

The problem with this is that it's very unlikely I will happen across every single hidden item within a normal playthrough. So it will force me to use a guide. But if I have to use a guide to complete a sidequest, I'm not going to feel as good about completing it, and the reward will mean less.

I prefer something like the Gold Skulltulas in OoT, where you are rewarded as you go. If you don't get them all, you still feel like you are being rewarded for finding the ones you did find.

Yeah and sometimes the reward for collecting all of the stuff is rather pointless. Mario Sunshine

http://www.backloggery.com/discodriver43

Recently watched films: The Martian

Currently playing: Max Payne

Rumorlife

All these trashy looking 2D games that look like they were drawn in paint prog on Windows entering the eShop for both WiiU & 3DS, then everyone going nutso over it saying it looks great and they're buying it, you're wasting your money so hard. "WE NEED TO SUPPORT INDIE AND THIRD PARTY THINGS FOR NINTENDO" okay how about we support the things that don't look like low res iOS/Android games?
"OMG UR SO IGNORANT U DONT SUPPORT THESE IOS TO NINTY GAMES U STUPID U DUNNO WAT UR TALKIN ABOUT EVERYTHING IS 1 WAY AND THATS THE WAY I SAY IT IS!!!!"

also lol @ that one troll who's getting away with saying they're buying the 3D Horse Lover games on this site cause we all know nobody is buying that trash and enjoying it. A 9 year old girl does know better than that. Just because the game is aimed at that demographic doesn't mean it's a success and that "you fail to see it because you're not a 9 y/o girl" /facepalm

Edited on by Rumorlife

Rumorlife

Fee

TICGS wrote:

I agree. Samus was fine in that game. The only other times she had any voice was as a narrator. In Metroid Prime her notes to self look like a robot did them and all I know about her personality is that elevators put her on edge...and a scene at the end of the game where she looks at the planet. Meh. I don't actually think Other M Samus was a good character but I don't really care. She never had much of a character anyway.

@MrMario02: Could you name some actions? All I remember character-wise from the first Prime was her looking angry when she rode elevators and slightly sad after defeating prime.(Because of how the planet was destroyed possibly) Aside from that all I can remember is her dodging attacks which isn't character depth. In what I've played/remember of Fusion(haven't finished it) she had hardly any emotion as the narrator...same in Super Metroid(also haven't finished it) which is just like Other M's narration. Note that I said same narration not character.

In what I remember of Super/Fusion she just states events without talking about how they made her feel at all. I was sent on a mission and got infected by X. Now I've been sent on a mission to destroy X. In other M she actually did describe her feelings in the narration but the voiceover was emotionless. In fusion she was also just taking orders, but this time from an unknown entity(rather than out of respect for a former commander) which was actually manipulating her...I think. I haven't actually finished it so it may be that when the computer was talking to somebody about whether Samus had "figured it out" they weren't manipulating her. It's also possible that the Dark Samus in that game is actually the real Samus and the one you play as is X. I don't know for sure. Feel free to tell me if I'm wrong about her being blindly manipulated in Fusion, but I don't see her character as any better or worse than in Other M. At least not in any game I've(partially) played. Don't tell me I haven't finished them so I wouldn't know. I know I don't know. That's why I want you to explain what you meant with examples I missed or just flat-out never saw.

P.S. I actually started writing another paragraph before figuring out what you could have meant by actions. I have to agree that the character before Other M was waaaay cooler than the Other M character but I don't agree she had a lot of depth. Still a cool character regardless though. Anyway I doubt I came up with the same character you have in your head and everything I said up above is still valid after what I came up with. That said I'm still wondering what you meant by actions, and want you to name some.

Actually I'll just come out and say it. The character I came up with is a near-emotionless killing machine that chose her profession because all she knows is murder. I don't think that's what you meant, so please tell me.

Dankykong wrote:

"WE NEED TO SUPPORT INDIE AND THIRD PARTY THINGS FOR NINTENDO" okay how about we support the things that don't look like low res iOS/Android games?
"OMG UR SO IGNORANT U DONT SUPPORT THESE IOS TO NINTY GAMES U STUPID U DUNNO WAT UR TALKIN ABOUT EVERYTHING IS 1 WAY AND THATS THE WAY I SAY IT IS!!!!"

Oh my gosh bro for real. I don't care if Nintendo gets third party and indie support. If the game looks bad I'm not buying it.

Edited on by Fee

Fee

Nintendo Network ID: Savoir

iKhan

DiscoDriver43 wrote:

iKhan wrote:

Yeah and sometimes the reward for collecting all of the stuff is rather pointless. Mario Sunshine

Sunshine has the opposite problem. The Blue Coins are great for helping the player unlock new levels faster, but there is no benefit to finding them all.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Rumorlife

iKhan wrote:

Holy crap, my sentiments exactly.

Fee wrote:

Dankykong wrote:

"WE NEED TO SUPPORT INDIE AND THIRD PARTY THINGS FOR NINTENDO" okay how about we support the things that don't look like low res iOS/Android games?

Oh my gosh bro for real. I don't care if Nintendo gets third party and indie support. If the game looks bad I'm not buying it.

Exactly. Why support crap just because it's on your system of choice? I love my PS3, doesn't mean I'm gonna buy trash on there either.

Edited on by Rumorlife

Rumorlife

Whydoievenbother

SuperWiiU wrote:

MrMario02 wrote:

But an amazing game it is.

I can come up with a plethora of reasons why it sucks.
1. The story was stupid.
2. The collision detection was a complete mess.
3. The music is forgettable.
4. Despite the fact that the city is (to the runners) like a playground, the levels are linear to the point of being a paint-by-numbers exercise.
5. Some of the areas are cramped (Faith's moveset is built with an open environment in mind).
6. ONE WORD: VENTS
7. The combat has multiple problems:
7.1. The game takes several measures to disincentivize combat, yet at certain moments it's forces you to fight (You know you made a bad game when the game's logic disagrees with itself )
7.2. Despite the fact that Faith is only good at taking on one or two enemies at once, this game throws dozens of guards at you at a time.
7.3. the disarm window is vanishingly small.
8. The cutscenes look awful.
9. The boss fights suck ( SPOILERS The ropeburn fight is literally a button prompt.)
10. The look and runner vision features occasionally stop working.
11. The levels are incredibly streched out.

Edited on by Whydoievenbother

Light Yagami, Death Note
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

CaviarMeths

Dankykong wrote:

All these trashy looking 2D games that look like they were drawn in paint prog on Windows entering the eShop for both WiiU & 3DS, then everyone going nutso over it saying it looks great and they're buying it, you're wasting your money so hard. "WE NEED TO SUPPORT INDIE AND THIRD PARTY THINGS FOR NINTENDO" okay how about we support the things that don't look like low res iOS/Android games?

also lol @ that one troll who's getting away with saying they're buying the 3D Horse Lover games on this site cause we all know nobody is buying that trash and enjoying it. A 9 year old girl does know better than that. Just because the game is aimed at that demographic doesn't mean it's a success and that "you fail to see it because you're not a 9 y/o girl" /facepalm

...Who are these imaginary adversaries that you're arguing with?

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

LaserdiscGal

@ekreig

That fight took me over an hour, what a pain.

LaserdiscGal

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5519-2711 | My Nintendo: pokefraker | Nintendo Network ID: pokefraker

CanisWolfred

CaviarMeths wrote:

Dankykong wrote:

...Who are these imaginary adversaries that you're arguing with?

Shhhhh....leave him be. Otherwise he might start arguing with real people...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

SuperWiiU

MrMario02 wrote:

SuperWiiU wrote:

MrMario02 wrote:

But an amazing game it is.

I can come up with a plethora of reasons why it sucks.
1. The story was stupid.
2. The collision detection was a complete mess.
3. The music is forgettable.
4. Despite the fact that the city is (to the runners) like a playground, the levels are linear to the point of being a paint-by-numbers exercise.
5. Some of the areas are cramped (Faith's moveset is built with an open environment in mind).
6. ONE WORD: VENTS
7. The combat has multiple problems:
7.1. The game takes several measures to disincentivize combat, yet at certain moments it's forces you to fight (You know you made a bad game when the game's logic disagrees with itself )
7.2. Despite the fact that Faith is only good at taking on one or two enemies at once, this game throws dozens of guards at you at a time.
7.3. the disarm window is vanishingly small.
8. The cutscenes look awful.
9. The boss fights suck ( SPOILERS The ropeburn fight is literally a button prompt.)
10. The look and runner vision features occasionally stop working.
11. The levels are incredibly streched out.

1. Who cares. Most FPS/plaformers have bad stories anyway.
2. Had no problems with it. Did you play it on console?
3. It wasn't bad/annoying either.
4. That's the whole point of the game. It's trial and error.
5. It's works beautfully in the limited locations of the game though.
6. Yes, you are venting. You must hate Half-Life too.
7.1. Such is life.
7.2. At a very few locations in the game where you can't deal with them one at a time, see 7.1.
7.3. Reaction speed is something you'll need in this game.
8. No.
9. Button prompt fights have been the norm in first person (shooters) for years. I don't care for it either.
10. Had no such issues.
11. Yes, levels, not open enviroments.

CanisWolfred

I was disappointed by Mirror's Edge for similar reasons. Even if it was good for what it was (which I don't think it was, the story blew chunks and was too in your face to blow off like other games, the combat was attrocious, yet the platforming could've been far better as well), it just felt entirely like wasted potential. They could've done so much more, yet it just was yet another action game, now with lousy controls and action elements. I'm hoping they throw everything except the basic premise out the window for Mirror's Edge 2...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic