Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 2,261 to 2,280 of 12,088

iKhan

I've never watched live conferences for the reactions. That's Apple, Sony, Nintendo, etc.

I watch them so I can be the first to news, so that I can hear news straight from the mouth of the company that created it, and so I can see live demos.

It's because of this I have no desire to see Nintendo go back to the old press conference format, as all of what I look for is achieved through the treehouse live stream.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Jaz007

@iKhan I'm pretty most people watch the conferences for the news. That's the popular opinion, not the unpopular. I don't think there are many people who watch then with the main objective of seeing reactions.

Jaz007

iKhan

Most of the time when I hear people defending why Nintendo should have a live conference, that's exactly what the bring up though.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Jaz007

iKhan wrote:

Most of the time when I hear people defending why Nintendo should have a live conference, that's exactly what the bring up though.

I've never heard that, but your logic is off. Just because someone likes to see them doesn't mean it's why they watch, it's something on the side they like. It's still not their main objective.

Jaz007

Whydoievenbother

SuperWiiU wrote:

MrMario02 wrote:

SuperWiiU wrote:

MrMario02 wrote:

A part of me dies whenever someone says Mirror's Edge was an amazing game.

But an amazing game it is.

I can come up with a plethora of reasons why it sucks.
1. The story was stupid.
2. The collision detection was a complete mess.
3. The music is forgettable.
4. Despite the fact that the city is (to the runners) like a playground, the levels are linear to the point of being a paint-by-numbers exercise.
5. Some of the areas are cramped (Faith's moveset is built with an open environment in mind).
6. ONE WORD: VENTS
7. The combat has multiple problems:
7.1. The game takes several measures to disincentivize combat, yet at certain moments it's forces you to fight (You know you made a bad game when the game's logic disagrees with itself )
7.2. Despite the fact that Faith is only good at taking on one or two enemies at once, this game throws dozens of guards at you at a time.
7.3. the disarm window is vanishingly small.
8. The cutscenes look awful.
9. The boss fights suck ( SPOILERS The ropeburn fight is literally a button prompt.)
10. The look and runner vision features occasionally stop working.
11. The levels are incredibly streched out.

1. Who cares. Most FPS/plaformers have bad stories anyway.
2. Had no problems with it. Did you play it on console?
3. It wasn't bad/annoying either.
4. That's the whole point of the game. It's trial and error.
5. It's works beautfully in the limited locations of the game though.
6. Yes, you are venting. You must hate Half-Life too.
7.1. Such is life.
7.2. At a very few locations in the game where you can't deal with them one at a time, see 7.1.
7.3. Reaction speed is something you'll need in this game.
8. No.
9. Button prompt fights have been the norm in first person (shooters) for years. I don't care for it either.
10. Had no such issues.
11. Yes, levels, not open enviroments.

Response:
1. In your response, you constantly compared this game to First-Person Shooters. Mirror's Edge is not a First-Person Shooter. Mirror's Edge is a platformer.
2. Yes, I played console.
3. Such is life is not a reasonable response.
4.The vents in this game are just guessing your way through.
5. At least most FPS/Platformers explained why the villain is evil!!
6. When I said that the levels were streched, I meant they were padded out (or made longer so that the game can be longer)
7. I was talking about these cutscenes:
Untitled

Edited on by Whydoievenbother

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

iKhan

Jaz007 wrote:

iKhan wrote:

I've never heard that, but your logic is off. Just because someone likes to see them doesn't mean it's why they watch, it's something on the side they like. It's still not their main objective.

From what I hear people say on the internet, it is their main objective. Pretty much the only thing people use to defend the idea of live conferences is "you get reactions like the TP reveal that you could never have in a recorded conference"

Jaz007

iKhan wrote:

Jaz007 wrote:

iKhan wrote:

From what I hear people say on the internet, it is their main objective. Pretty much the only thing people use to defend the idea of live conferences is "you get reactions like the TP reveal that you could never have in a recorded conference"

It still doesn't make it their main objective, just something that improves what they came for. And honestly, it's kind of hard to explain why a live-conference is better, so keep that in mind. I would just have to describe it all as an x-factory.

Edited on by Jaz007

Jaz007

DefHalan

Jaz007 wrote:

iKhan wrote:

Jaz007 wrote:

iKhan wrote:

It still doesn't make it their main objective, just something that improves what they came for. And honestly, it's kind of hard to explain why a live-conference is better, so keep that in mind. I would just have to describe it all as an x-factory.

In my opinion the only thing that makes a live press conference better is the spectacle. The gaming press gets excited for these events and it makes them feel special, because most people don't get to go, and the people at home get a chance for industry people to talk to them "directly." While I prefer the Nintendo Direct approach you do lose a lot of the spectacle. the gaming Press will ignore you more, unless you have some huge announcement, because they are no longer given something special and the messaging seems less like the company is talking to you directly because it is pre-recorded. I think this years Nintendo Direct should end with a live feed into E3 Treehouse event with Reggie and Miyamoto playing Star Fox or a new announcement. That could be exciting and it could mix the spectacle of a live event with the advantages of a pre-recorded event. Now that I type this out, it may not fit in this threads topic lol

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Whydoievenbother

ekreig wrote:

MrMario02 wrote:

The game takes several measures to disincentivize combat, yet at certain moments it's forces you to fight (You know you made a bad game when the game's logic disagrees with itself )

Kind of like how Deus Ex Human Revolution (or at least the original PS3/360 release I played) gives you the option to use stealth to avoid combat in every situation...except for the ones where you're suddenly dropped into a cramped room with a very deadly supersoldier that wants to paint the walls with you, then all of a sudden the stealth/hacking skills you've already spent your skill points on don't look so good.

Not quite. In Mirror's Edge:
1. When Faith holds a gun, her speed and jump height decrease, and she loses the ability to climb.
2. The game gives you achievements for not shooting anyone.

Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

Whydoievenbother

I don't care what your stance is on on this debate, but the fact of the matter is the "What is a game?" debate has helped our medium a lot. How, you ask? Well:
1. It shows how much our medium has matured. Other medium tried to do this too.
2. It leads to the creation of whole new game types. Because of this, we get games like MineCraft and Proteus, which are a reaction to this idea of games only being about problem solving and reflexes. But at the same time, we also get games like Shovel Knight and Super Meat Boy, which are pure mechanical difficulty games. And then we get games that are somewhat in between that are somewhat in the middle, like No Man's sky and HOHOKUM which have larger goals, but aren't forced on you. And then you have games like The Stanley Parable, which are a deconstruction of what the developer thinks a game is.

Light Yagami, Death Note
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

DefHalan

MrMario02 wrote:

I don't care what your stance is on on this debate, but the fact of the matter is the "What is a game?" debate has helped our medium a lot. How, you ask? Well:
1. It shows how much our medium has matured. Other medium tried to do this too.
2. It leads to the creation of whole new game types. Because of this, we get games like MineCraft and Proteus, which are a reaction to this idea of games only being about problem solving and reflexes. But at the same time, we also get games like Shovel Knight and Super Meat Boy, which are pure mechanical difficulty games. And then we get games that are somewhat in between that are somewhat in the middle, like No Man's sky and HOHOKUM which have larger goals, but aren't forced on you. And then you have games like The Stanley Parable, which are a deconstruction of what the developer thinks a game is.

It has helped in the way of people breaking the definition. It does not help because people use it to try to attack certain games.

CM30

Here's another unpopular opinion: Screw 'retro' art styles.

Seriously. The NES, SNES and other such consoles did not have games the style they did because it was an artistic choice. It was purely about technical limitations. People who actually made (or even still make) games for those consoles don't want their graphics to look all old fashioned and simplistic.

I think this guy said it best:

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/BlakeReynolds/20150512/243212/...

Try out Gaming Reinvented, my new gaming forum and website!
Also, if you're a Wario series fan, check out Wario Forums today! Your only place for Wario series discussion!
My 3DS Friend Code: 4983-5165-4...

Twitter:

DefHalan

CM30 wrote:

Here's another unpopular opinion: Screw 'retro' art styles.

Seriously. The NES, SNES and other such consoles did not have games the style they did because it was an artistic choice. It was purely about technical limitations. People who actually made (or even still make) games for those consoles don't want their graphics to look all old fashioned and simplistic.

I think this guy said it best:

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/BlakeReynolds/20150512/243212/...

I have read through that article and I just don't understand it. It seems to be jumping around to a lot of different points and taking different stances on some things but the opposite for others. Maybe I just need to read through that article again.

TuVictus

This thread should be a game. "Get mad, you lose". See how long you can read these unpopular opinions before you start angrily typing up why their opinions are wrong.

TuVictus

DefHalan

Operative wrote:

This thread should be a game. "Get mad, you lose". See how long you can read these unpopular opinions before you start angrily typing up why their opinions are wrong.

Do you still lose if you just comment on what people are saying while not getting mad?

CanisWolfred

Also do you lose if that person's opinion is based on misconstrued facts? Or if their "opinion" is in fact not an opinion, but is actually a statement that goes against the known facts, and therefore is indeed wrong?

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Socar

Fire Emblem isn't Niche. I get that some prefer it as niche mainly because each game is similar to one another but that still doesn't make it niche AT ALL!

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

SuperWiiU

Artwark wrote:

Fire Emblem isn't Niche. I get that some prefer it as niche mainly because each game is similar to one another but that still doesn't make it niche AT ALL!

Untitled
A strategy RPG usually isn't for the masses. It mainly appeals to a smaller group of gamers that love them, that makes it niche.

CaviarMeths

Artwark wrote:

No, what makes it niche is that its gameplay, writing, artistic style, platform, and budget significantly impact its appeal to general audiences.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

iKhan

I don't like the Pro Controller. Like the 360 controller, it's functional in it's shape, but not particularly comfortable. It's missing key features like motion controls, a speaker, and analog triggers, and the location of the right stick is really weird.

The button layout goes backwards to the SNES era, completely forgetting about the amazing design of the GC's button layout.

Edited on by iKhan

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic