Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 2,001 to 2,020 of 12,088

Captain_Toad

Neo Bowser City is the best mk7 track.

Was Mariobro4. No, I'm not taking off my backpack...it's important.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1530-1570-5053 | 3DS Friend Code: 3566-2311-3009 | Nintendo Network ID: Mariobro4

Chaoz

jedisquidward wrote:

Brawl is much better than Melee, and is incredibly unfairly judged.

Agree.

Daddy do you want some Sausage?
Wii U ID: dotmae
3DS FC: 3007-8540-3431

Nintendo Network ID: dotmae

kkslider5552000

Dankykong wrote:

What is it about 3D platformers that people don't like? That's what made the N64 great. Not that I can't enjoy a 2D but really. It felt like with Nintendo, it went from NES 2D, SNES 2.5D then N64 3D, then GameCube kinda still doing that same thing, then BOOM the Wii, we drop it all and revert back to 2D platforming, it felt like a huge step backwards and that's where we'll stay. Nostalgia fueled it a bit I think? People who grew up with 2D platforming wanted to emulate what they once had and that's why there's 100,000 new NES style games each year. Plus we all know the Wii was fueled part by nostalgia just overall. So what, we have to wait for the N64/PS1 kids to finish school any day now and emulate their 3D childhood? I better get crackin'

Nostalgia is a major part of it, but I think people just got burned out by 3d platforming after a while, plus it's usually just harder to make a high quality one it seems (which makes complete sense to me).

Though it's not a huge step backwards, because 2d platformers and 3d platformers are essentially different genres. It would be like saying Muramasa was a big step backwards from Dynasty Warriors, that doesn't even make sense.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

LzWinky

TwilightAngel wrote:

jedisquidward wrote:

Brawl is incredibly unfairly judged.

I totally agree with this.

Smash 3DS and U blow Brawl out of the water. There is no contest

Also, Codename STEAM is freaking amazing. I don't really understand most of the complaints.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

iKhan

TingLz wrote:

TwilightAngel wrote:

jedisquidward wrote:

Brawl is incredibly unfairly judged.

I totally agree with this.

Smash 3DS and U blow Brawl out of the water. There is no contest

I think it's actually pretty close between Smash 3DS/U and Brawl. The former have far better core gameplay and roster, but the latter is way better in side modes.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

MarioKartParty57

Brawl is terrible and you all know it's terrible.

MarioKartParty57

gcunit

Most rpgs are just generic stories slapped over an overly complex user profile system of gear, spells, attacks etc. that add no real value and are just there to give the illusion of depth, enjoyed by people who have more time than they know what to do with.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

bitleman

Metal Gear Solid series is one of the worst stealth franchise in videogames. Too much gimmicky, short, forced backtracking and too simple stealth mechanics. Deus Ex, Splinter Cell, Hitman, Thief games are all way better

bitleman

Krisi

I actually really like Paper Mario: Sticker Star. Not as much as the other ones, but it's still really good IMO.
Ninja Gaiden for the NES is a good game, but is really overrated.
Mega Man 9 is easily the best game in the franchise.
The fifth Pokémon generation is easily the best one, and this one comes from somebody who was with the series from the very beginning.

https://backloggery.com/krisi

Tiefseemiez

Krisi wrote:

I actually really like Paper Mario: Sticker Star. Not as much as the other ones, but it's still really good IMO.

Thank you! I totally agree!
It always makes me kinda sad that everybody seems to dislike it.
I did not play any other Paper Mario so far which probably gives me a better opportunity to be openminded towards this whole sticker-concept. I can understand how someone who liked the series before was disappointed by the changes made. But as a Paper-Mario-newbie I enjoyed the game like few others on the 3DS and found it very refreshing.

Never want to come down, never want to put my feet back down on the ground.

CanisWolfred

gcunit wrote:

Most rpgs are just generic stories slapped over an overly complex user profile system of gear, spells, attacks etc. that add no real value and are just there to give the illusion of depth, enjoyed by people who have more time than they know what to do with.

You're not really wrong. Just like like how the majority of everything is terrible, the majority of RPGs are indeed not good. But the good ones usually get the attention they deserve, even if it takes a few years, unlike a lot of other genres, like shooters, platformers, and fighting games.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Vineleaf

Smash is by far my least favourite series of fighting games.

Animal Crossing in real life would be really pleasant. And exceptionally weird. Why is there a shark in your pocket? Why did you mail me a sofa?
I blog about video game stuff at http://www.shinynewcartridge.com. It might even be worth reading.

3DS Friend Code: 2938-7438-0507 | Nintendo Network ID: Vineleaf

iKhan

gcunit wrote:

Maybe I just play good RPGs, but how is it an illusion of depth rather than actual depth? I feel like ability and skill systems fundamentally affect the gameplay, and crafting and weapons add to a system of balancing money management and item collection with improving your team's resilience.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

CaviarMeths

iKhan wrote:

Maybe I just play good RPGs, but how is it an illusion of depth rather than actual depth? I feel like ability and skill systems fundamentally affect the gameplay, and crafting and weapons add to a system of balancing money management and item collection with improving your team's resilience.

I think it depends on the game. For example, I felt that FFX and XIII both had rather shallow character progression while giving the player some illusion that they had control or depth. The Crystarium especially was extremely linear. There wasn't any more depth to it than there was in FFIV's progression system, except this time you had to hold a button down to manually level up. Equipment was neutered severely in both games as well.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

unrandomsam

iKhan wrote:

gcunit wrote:

Removes all the skill that might otherwise exist allowing unlimited grinding.

(RPG Elements spoil most other genres as well as there is no way to gauge what it is or isn't reasonable. You fail it gets easier. Instead of what it should be where the only thing improving is the player's skill).

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

CanisWolfred

unrandomsam wrote:

iKhan wrote:

gcunit wrote:

Removes all the skill that might otherwise exist allowing unlimited grinding.

(RPG Elements spoil most other genres as well as there is no way to gauge what it is or isn't reasonable. You fail it gets easier. Instead of what it should be where the only thing improving is the player's skill).

Contrary to your doctrine, not every game has to be based on player's skills. Or rather, not every game has to use your reflexes. There are different skills involved in RPGs, especially the good ones, and they're not the twitch kind of skills you always seem to require for a game to actually exist in your mind.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

unrandomsam

Stuff like Rogue-like require skill.

Or SRPG's.

But if you want something with the complexity of something like Ultima IV or VII with the looks of Skyrim it doesn't exist.

The mechanic of working out what you have to do by speaking to the people in the towns has been replaced by follow the dot.

Too much emphasis seems to be placed on the illiterate (Swapping a manual for a monotonous dull tutorial).

Pillars of Eternity is good. (Still a bit too close to work for my liking though).

(Stuff like Dragon Quest V is good enough with just the strength of the story but they are incredibly generic for the most part as a posted above said).

Edited on by unrandomsam

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

MarioKartParty57

Brawl is terrible and you all know it's terrible.

MarioKartParty57

MarioKartParty57

unrandomsam wrote:

Stuff like Rogue-like require skill.

Just like you thought platforming was only a race against time in 2D form. hahaha

MarioKartParty57

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic