Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 1,981 to 2,000 of 12,088

Retro_on_theGo

Tekken is my favorite fighting game. I enjoy it infinitely more than Street Fighter.

[quote=Jaz007][quote=kkslider5552000]

Jaz007 wrote:

MrMario02 wrote:

Anyone who feels more strongly then "it's kinda cool/not cool I guess" about Amiibo should be ignored. Amiibo is not worth having strong opinions about.

Cause you know, being locked out of on-disc content isn't worth having anything more than going meh about. Espcially when it's done worse than most examples on it.

Except it's clearly not on disc content on the scale you're saying they are. The closest that came to this was that mode in MP10 which everyone said was just another uninspired entry in a series that is way past its prime anyways. You miss out on one little suit or some little pointless easter egg. If you're buying Amiibo for the content they unlock you are buying them for the wrong reasons. They are very nice quality figures of series that have never had merchadise first, and bonus content in games second.

Edited on by Retro_on_theGo

kkslider5552000

Jaz007 wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Anyone who feels more strongly then "it's kinda cool/not cool I guess" about Amiibo should be ignored. Amiibo is not worth having strong opinions about.

Cause you know, being locked out of on-disc content isn't worth having anything more than going meh about. Espcially when it's done worse than most examples on it.

OH NO I CAN'T PLAY THE GAME WHERE I FIND A TOAD SPRITE IN THE LEVEL FOR NO REASON, SO SAD

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Jaz007

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Jaz007 wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

OH NO I CAN'T PLAY THE GAME WHERE I FIND A TOAD SPRITE IN THE LEVEL FOR NO REASON, SO SAD

The stuff in Smash is worth complaining about, it would be a neat feature if it weren't restricted to the amiibo. It locks out characters in other games (like STEAM). I don't see how these features aren't worse than a character being on-disc dlc in Street fighter, or the majority of it really. Most cases of on-disk dlc seems on par with what's locked out of smash bros. It would cost more than it cost to buy Smash Bros to unlock every character's amiibo feature too.

@Retro_on_thego. Nintendo is obviously trying to sell them with in-game features though. Otherwise they wouldn't make features in games unavailable otherwise. I've seen people want them for such features too.

Jaz007

CanisWolfred

The problem with Amiibos is that they're toys that also unlock stuff in games. That pretty much limits their appeal to: Children with parents who have a lot of money (or at least more money than sense), gamers with more money than sense, or manchildren collectors with more money than sense.

Basically it only appeals to idiots. Do I really need to say more? There's no reason to buy a $15 piece of plastic whose only two fuctions are to sit on your shelf, or unlock a fancy hat in Smash Bros. or whatever. There are better chunks of molded plastic and better games to spend your $15 on. Instead of buying a Marth Amiibo to unlock Marth in Codename: STEAM, you could buy Fire Emblem or Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones on VC. Or you know what? You could buy Valkyria Chronicles on PC the next time it's even 25% off on any of the bajillion Steam sales that always happen. I'm looking at the Specs right now, and I doubt many of you would have a problem with it. Unless you have a Mac, in which case you already have more money than sense, so you'll probably just get an Amiibo anyways.

tl;dr - The problem with Amiibos is that they were never a good idea in the first place. Just like every other stupid toys to life thing. Just be happy Nintendo didn't have the gall to actually force that crap down our throats and actually force important aspects of the game behind a paywall. The day they lock the Special Worlds in New Super Mario Bros. Infinity+1 to a luma amiibo is the day the Amiibo problem explodes.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

HollywoodHogan

Jaz007 wrote:

MrMario02 wrote:

clvr wrote:

Skyward Sword is the most overrated Zelda ever. The only standout features to me are its motion controls (I don't understand why people loathe them) and the music in Lanayru Mining Facility.

Everybody hates Skyward Sword.

No, you're a minority. A minority that I believe often occurs with Zelda games.

Skyward Sword is the nadir of Nintnedo

Friend to all SJW's

iKhan

2D Platformers, 2D Puzzlers, and Business sims have no place on modern home consoles. The former two are more easily enjoyed in short bursts, so they make a lot more sense of PC and handhelds, where you can jump in and out. I'm adoring BoxBoy, but I would never play it on Wii or 360.

I don't exactly know why I prefer the latter on PC and Handheld yet, but I think it has something to do with the gameplay being more associated with a combination of construction and money management that I just don't associate with a big experience TV screen.

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

kkslider5552000

iKhan wrote:

2D Platformers, 2D Puzzlers, and Business sims have no place on modern home consoles.

Well that's why 2d platformers are co-op games nowadays. Because local co-op = console.

I don't agree with this logic, even though there's a lot of truth to it. But it's too absolute. I mean, we could pull a reverse and say RPGs aren't ideal for handhelds, yet some of the best RPG experiences I've had were on handhelds. They were great for particularly long trips when I was younger too. While you could make some case for retail games, I think it's still perfect for downloaded games on consoles. Because then I can play for a bit before going to a more longer and larger experience. Scram Kitty was perfect for that btw.

iKhan

kkslider5552000 wrote:

iKhan wrote:

2D Platformers, 2D Puzzlers, and Business sims have no place on modern home consoles.

Well that's why 2d platformers are co-op games nowadays. Because local co-op = console.

I don't agree with this logic, even though there's a lot of truth to it. But it's too absolute. I mean, we could pull a reverse and say RPGs aren't ideal for handhelds, yet some of the best RPG experiences I've had were on handhelds. They were great for particularly long trips when I was younger too. While you could make some case for retail games, I think it's still perfect for downloaded games on consoles. Because then I can play for a bit before going to a more longer and larger experience. Scram Kitty was perfect for that btw.

I wasn't trying to say that 2D Platformers, 2D Puzzlers, and Business sims aren't good on home consoles. But I tend to feel that when they are on home consoles, they'd be better on Handheld or PC. I've had a lot of fun playing RPGs on handhelds, but almost every time, I'd rather play them on a home console. One of the few exceptions is Pokemon GSC, where the existence of a world clock and time exclusive Pokemon makes handheld the far more suitable platform.

But you do make some good points. I guess it's nice to have an RPG on the go, and some quick play of a small 2D puzzler before you get to the real stuff makes sense.

I think a better way of putting it would be to say that I don't think they should be making many 2D Platformers or Puzzlers that aren't multiplat with some mobile platform.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

unrandomsam

Pretty much all the 3DS Platformers are worthless due to 30fps.

People generally don't like 3D Platformers. (Reason why the Galaxy and NSMBW sales figures are like they are despite Galaxy 2 being pretty much perfect(And not bogged down by Story)).

WRPG's are better on PC because the FoV can be changed. (Usually it has to be done via a config file sadly).

The modern practice of multiplatform is bad for every platform other than the PC. Always ends up with mediocre results due to the wrong compromises being made.

Puyo Puyo is the best puzzle game.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed still has more interesting and fun great tracks than Mario Kart 8. (Defined for me as that I enjoy as much as Mount Wario and Big Blue).

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

unrandomsam

My problem with Amiibo is the best customers of Nintendo are now the people buying all of them. (Or 2 of each one to keep boxed). When that can be achieved by offering so little of value the incentive is to make what they get better to try and get more of them etc.

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

LaserdiscGal

Despite my name, I never preorder, and I never pay above suggested retail price.

Because of this, I only own 12 amiibos (but the thrill of the hunt is amazing).

LaserdiscGal

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5519-2711 | My Nintendo: pokefraker | Nintendo Network ID: pokefraker

R_Champ

MrMario02 wrote:

clvr wrote:

Skyward Sword is the most overrated Zelda ever. The only standout features to me are its motion controls (I don't understand why people loathe them) and the music in Lanayru Mining Facility.

Everybody hates Skyward Sword.

I think it's more of a hyper-vocal minority (somewhat minor anyway). It's similar to the Majora's Mask fanbase: It could easily be considered one of the least popular Zeldas from a broader fanbase perspective, but since the fans are so dedicated and vocal it makes it seem like the majority prefers it over games like OoT and Link to the Past...which I doubt is true considering a steady stream of remakes and spinoffs have sprung from both of those games naturally while dedicated fans had to scream and cry for years to get Majora's Mask 3D and only when the 3DS library started to cool off.

On topic opinion: With how PC gaming is evolving systems like PS4 and Xbox One seem so pointless to me. Nintendo stays interesting (for better or worse) because of crazy hardware and one-of-a-kind exclusives. PS4 and Xbox One pride themselves in being dumbed-down PC's with only a handful of exclusives, and tons of games you can get on PC for far better prices and more graphical and controller options.

-Yay, I got a free game from PSN for paying $5 a month that I didn't choose and can't keep unless I keep paying!
-Wait...I bought two AAA games on Steam during a sale that I got to choose for $5-$8...I'm not even PC Master Race, but the masses' excuses for owning PS4/Xbox One are falling on deaf ears now. Yeah, I paid twice as much for my PC: and it has more power, more options, and can do 20-times what a console can do...oh yeah, and free online . Even once-exclusives like Valkryria Chronicles are migrating to Steam...I got it on sale for $6 will all the DLC.

Nintendo & Steam ID: R_Champ

shaneoh

R_Champ wrote:

Yeah, I paid twice as much for my PC: and it has more power, more options, and can do 20-times what a console can do...oh yeah, and free online . Even once-exclusives like Valkryria Chronicles are migrating to Steam...I got it on sale for $6 will all the DLC.

Don't forget that your PC should last twice as long before needing replacement, that's two generations of games it should be able to play.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

LzWinky

I liked Majora's Mask before it was cool

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

kkslider5552000

TingLz wrote:

I liked Majora's Mask before it was cool

I liked it but I was 10 and thus obviously in the "OOT is way better/how dare a game be so frustrating!" camp at the time.

LzWinky

Ocarina isn't really that great...but still good

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

jedisquidward

Brawl is much better than Melee, and is incredibly unfairly judged.

"The pain goes away, but your work always remains."

Masahiro Sakurai

Rumorlife

What is it about 3D platformers that people don't like? That's what made the N64 great. Not that I can't enjoy a 2D but really. It felt like with Nintendo, it went from NES 2D, SNES 2.5D then N64 3D, then GameCube kinda still doing that same thing, then BOOM the Wii, we drop it all and revert back to 2D platforming, it felt like a huge step backwards and that's where we'll stay. Nostalgia fueled it a bit I think? People who grew up with 2D platforming wanted to emulate what they once had and that's why there's 100,000 new NES style games each year. Plus we all know the Wii was fueled part by nostalgia just overall. So what, we have to wait for the N64/PS1 kids to finish school any day now and emulate their 3D childhood? I better get crackin'

Edited on by Rumorlife

Rumorlife

MsJubilee

jedisquidward wrote:

Brawl is incredibly unfairly judged.

I totally agree with this.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic