Forums

Topic: The Game Awards 2023

Posts 1 to 20 of 221

Grumblevolcano

It's this time again, on Monday the nominees are being announced for the Game Awards so it seems fitting to have a dedicated thread present.

Couldn't decide whether to make a new thread or to revive last year's. Here's the old thread if you'd rather have that one revived:

https://www.nintendolife.com/forums/general_discussion/the_ge...

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Magician

Figure Baldur's Gate III has a lock on many categories.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Vortexeo

Man, this year's show is going to be wild. As I mentioned in another thread I'm very curious what the nominees will be for GOTY.

TOTK, Street Fighter 6, Final Fantasy XVI, Baldur's Gate 3, Spider-Man 2, Resident Evil 4 Remake, Hogwarts Legacy, Mario Bros. Wonder, Dead Space Remake, Diablo IV, Armored Core VI, and Starfield all seem like possible options but they normally only have 6 nominees.

My predictions will be:
TOTK
Baldur's Gate 3
Spider-Man 2
Final Fantasy XVI
Hogwarts Legacy
Resident Evil 4 Remake

Edited on by Vortexeo

Add me on switch if you like Xenoblade :)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3720-5613-4522

StarPoint

Yeah, I think BG3 is going to win a lot of categories, everyone seems to adore that game. I don't have much interest in it but it seems well-loved by almost everyone and definitely deserves the praise based on how high-quality it looks.

My personal GOTY is tied between Pikmin 4 and XC3 Future Redeemed, which I kind of doubt either will even be nominated for. So I don't have any huge wants in terms of nominations this time around. However, I really hope Future Redeemed gets nominated for best soundtrack if nothing else.

"Science compels us to explode the sun!"

Currently playing:

Persona 3 Reload (PC)
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy (PC)

RR529

Yeah, out of the (I'm assuming) 6 GOTY nominees, I think BG3, TotK, & Spider-Man 2 are locks for the first 3 (with BG3 being the front runner).

I do think Starfield gets a spot as well, just to placate MS, though it probably doesn't stand much of a chance to win.

The last 2 spots will probably go to any of the following: Alan Wake 2, Resident Evil 4, Super Mario Wonder, Final Fantasy XVI, Armored Core 6, or Hi-Fi Rush (TGA does love to showcase an "indie darling", and it fits the bill this year).

Hogwarts Legacy will be lucky to be nominated for Action/Adventure, let alone GOTY. AFAIK the nominations are in part decided by gaming journalists (like Eurogamer, Edge, Famitsu, etc.) and I think the fact that a certain small number of outlets ran with the policy that the game didn't even exist due to IRL controversies will keep it from being nominated, especially in such a crowded year.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

kkslider5552000

I'm rooting for Hi-fi Rush, because despite not having played it, it is so obviously better than what a lot of what AAA gaming is doing that it should be rewarded in every way possible.

Otherwise I feel like the frontrunners are Baldur's Gate, Zelda, Spiderman and Street Fighter.

I never have too much interest in individual games winning because playing games the year they came out is overrated, but I'd love Oxenfree 2 to get nominated in some sort of sound design award. Love Oxenfree's sound design, it deserves more credit in that department.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

FishyS

A few obvious guesses for other category nominations:

Mario Wonder nominated in best family and potentially also in the art category.

Music - final fantasy as usual, maybe Baldur's gate.

Anticipated - FF7 part 2

Cocoon for...some category or other.

mobile: Genshin gets nominated literally every year.

fighting game - street fighter

RPG — Baldur's, FF, Sea of Stars... is Mario RPG coming out too late to even have a chance? 🤔

There are a lot of categories and they keep adding more but these were the ones last year:

Game of the Year
Best Independent Game
Best Mobile Game
Best Narrative
Best Score and Music
Best Performance
Games for Impact
Best Action/Adventure
Best Role Playing Game
Best Fighting Game
Best Family Game
Best Sports/Racing Game
Best Multiplayer
Best Art Direction
Best Game Direction
Best VR/AR Game
Best Action Game
Best Sim/Strategy Game
Best Audio Design
Best Ongoing Game
Best Debut Indie Game
Best Community Support
Players' Voice
Innovation in Accessibility
Best Adaptation

Edited on by FishyS

FishyS

Switch Friend Code: SW-2425-4361-0241

FawfulsFury

TOTK probably deserves the win but the the BG3 fans yelled the loudest so BG3 should be a shoe in

FawfulsFury

FishyS

@FawfulsFury Maybe TotK will win the ill-defined action/adventure category.

FishyS

Switch Friend Code: SW-2425-4361-0241

Matt_Barber

I've a feeling that TotK will win every category that it's nominated for but BG3 isn't. The rest are a coin toss.

Matt_Barber

DiamondCore

GOTY nominee selection goes crazy
Untitled

Pretty much inactive
-=-=-=-
Development (B)log: https://diamondcore.itch.io/monochromia-dcs
Reviews: https://letterboxd.com/diamondcore/
Currently Playing: Suprisingly, nothing.

card-crunch78

Hope they'll make a skit like when the Muppets teamed up with "Untitled Goose Game" (and an actual goose Muppet showed up to harass Dr. Bunsen Honeydew and Beaker)

🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸

Magician

My assumption, without knowing the nominees.

Best Game Direction: Tears of the Kingdom
Best Narrative: Baldur's Gate III
Best Art Direction: Super Mario Bros Wonder
Best Score & Music: Hi-Fi Rush
Best Audio Design: Dead Space Remake
Games for Impact: Videoverse
Best Ongoing Game: Warframe (personal bias)
Best Indie Game: Lies of P
Best Action Game: Resident Evil 4 Remake
Best Action/Adventure Game: Tears of the Kingdom
Best Role Playing Game: Baldur's Gate III
Best Fighting Game: Street Fighter 6
Best Family Game: Super Mario Bros. Wonder (category should be renamed Best Nintendo Game, honestly)
Best Sports/Racing Game: Forza Motorsport
Best Sim/Strategy: Pikmin 4
Best Multiplayer Game: Baldur's Gate III (four-player online co-op, yo)
Best Debut Indie Game: Trigger Overkill
Most Anticipated Game: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Player's Voice: Hogwart's Legacy (the best selling third party game of the year thus far)
Game of the Year: Baldur's Gate III

Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

TheBigBlue

It’ll be PC and Nintendo fans having a war in the voting polls and some dude in the crowd will either shout from the crowd or get on stage and say something like “vote Baldur’s gate 3, Zelda sucks!” I am calling it right now because I have future vision

Wait, why do we need a signature? Eh, I don’t know. Here’s your signature.

card-crunch78

TBH I don't really care who's going to win, I can still play what I want.

🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸

Matt_Barber

@EaglyBird DLC is eligible in most categories. Indeed, The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine won the RPG category a few years back.

I just don't see Xenoblade doing the same this year given what it's up against, although I wouldn't rule out it getting a nomination.

Matt_Barber

IceClimbers

@Magician You forgot Best Adaptation. Should be interesting to see if it goes to the Mario movie or to The Last of Us.

Anyways, I think they should include a "Best DLC/Expansion" category and a "Best Remake/Remaster" category.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Magician

@IceClimbers Oh I didn't forget. I just don't care.

Edited on by Magician

kkslider5552000

IceClimbers wrote:

Should be interesting to see if it goes to the Mario movie or to The Last of Us.

If by interesting you mean comically predictable, sure.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic