Forums

Topic: The Game Awards 2023

Posts 21 to 40 of 221

luckyseven

METROID PRIME REMASTERED SWEEP‼️‼️ oh and TotK too

xenoblade!!!

FishyS

IceClimbers wrote:

Anyways, I think they should include a "Best DLC/Expansion" category and a "Best Remake/Remaster" category.

They used to have a best remaster category in the game awards but they ditched it. I don't see them ever doing DLC as a category because some popular games are effectively nothing but a neverending stream of DLC.

Edited on by FishyS

FishyS

Switch Friend Code: SW-2425-4361-0241

luckyseven

@EaglyBird We Xenoblade fans need revenge after last year’s Game Awards

xenoblade!!!

luckyseven

@EaglyBird TGA hates JRPGs so we were probably screwed in the first place. And same but I can’t listen to it often or I’ll cry 😭 Also do you remember how in last year’s trailer for the show Geoff put a Melia and Urine death jumpscare in the trailer? I think he also used an upload of one of the cutscenes from Youtube too which shows how it was probably slapped together and called it a day

xenoblade!!!

Vortexeo

@luckyseven if I remember correctly the GOTY trailer had Noah wearing Eunies outfit too so it was apparently a cutscenes from ng+ LOL

Still though I don't think I'll ever forget the hype I experienced from seeing XC3 nominated for GOTY. Like when I saw it nominated for Best RPG and Best Soundtrack I was stoked but man seeing that last nomination was something else 😂

Add me on switch if you like Xenoblade :)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3720-5613-4522

luckyseven

@Vortexeo I checked Youtube again and it is, they didn’t give a spark lol
Untitled
Untitled
And same! Even if it didn’t win anything I was happy seeing XC3 getting the recognition it deserved

xenoblade!!!

Grumblevolcano

I think the problem with a DLC/Expansion category is the way DLC works plenty of the time. Like Future Redeemed is only available via the XC3 Expansion Pass and that pass got content during July 2022 - April 2023, so would it fit as a suitable nominee or would it be the Expansion Pass that's nominated. Do you count the Expansion Pass in its entirety as a nominee for 2023 despite some of the content releasing in 2022 or just waves 3 and 4?

When DLC can be purchased standalone, it's easier to judge what fits so like Witcher 3 Blood and Wine (Expansion Pass or standalone DLC) and XC2 Torna The Golden Country (Expansion Pass or physical copy). Of course when a game is supported for longer, the Best Ongoing Game category fits like MK8 Deluxe should be nominated for that category (it won't but it should be).

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

FishyS

Grumblevolcano wrote:

I think the problem with a DLC/Expansion category is the way DLC works plenty of the time.

It gets even weirder. Technically every in-app purchase is DLC, every weekly Genshin update is DLC. There are games like Final Fantasy XIV which have major expansion updates with special names but there have been like 30 of them.... What do you count as '1 DLC'? Ongoing game definitely fits some of the DLC models but not others. Trying to define a DLC category would be really difficult

Edited on by FishyS

FishyS

luckyseven

@EaglyBird Me too, TGA is heavily biased and while it would’ve been nice for 3 to win something it doesn’t hinder my enjoyment of it at all. We also got the amazing part in the orchestra thanks to flute guy. And yeah the Melia scene was from chapter 7 when she’s first freed which was out of context but still sucks. The NG+ scene with Noah is hilarious too because they just took it from YT. Also the Joran scene jumpscare is just like how it is in the game!

xenoblade!!!

Grumblevolcano

@luckyseven @EaglyBird The Game Awards spoilers was the main thing making me consider prioritizing TotK this year rather than playing it next year (I've pretty much completely avoided spoilers so far) but in the end I came to the conclusion spoilers would be somewhat limited by the fact there's no chance of a TotK DLC reveal (Aonuma already said no DLC).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ralizah

At least XC3 was nominated. It's more than XC2 got.

Anyway, it's a mindshare/popularity contest at the end of the day, and the series, as amazing as it has become, hasn't really managed to break out into wider popularity like so many other historically underappreciated Nintendo properties have recently (recent Kirby and Pikmin games coming to mind, in particular).

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

kkslider5552000

The best example of that was in fact Xenoblade 2, which wasn't nominated for best soundtrack but Red Dead 2 AND Spiderman AND God of War were. That really gives away that the category is nothing more than "game I liked the most that was good in a category" rather than "best" meaning anything. I try not to complain about games I've never played, but there's no way that all three of the biggest PS4 games that year had better soundtracks than Xenoblade 2. And the fact that I'm the one saying Xenoblade 2 was robbed should speak on how good that game's soundtrack is.

also half the people who are involved in nominations don't play half of the most acclaimed games of the year, you will not convince me otherwise

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Vortexeo

Ralizah wrote:

as amazing as it has become, hasn't really managed to break out into wider popularity like so many other historically underappreciated Nintendo properties have recently (recent Kirby and Pikmin games coming to mind, in particular).

@Ralizah I wonder what it would take for Xenoblade to grow more in popularity. I've seen some who would say a change in combat would help but for some reason, I don't think that would do it 🤔

Maybe it's just something that would happen naturally over time.

Add me on switch if you like Xenoblade :)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3720-5613-4522

Keman

TGA is a sad joke, it's much like the Oscars now, just politics. Almost every Oscar winning movies since 2015 has been trash, just politics, nothing else...

No secret that Knightley is a massive Sony-fanboy and is very personally buddy with literally every Playstation staff.

Honestly GOTY has lost its meaning for many years now. Just play the games you like and not just staring blindly on the label "Game of the Year" on the cover. It's almost impossible for a non-PS game which aren't a realistic looking open world game to win something outside "the best family game" category now.

TGA is just announcements and reveals now, but sadly +95% of them are just all same for some years now... Just a bunch of tiresome, cold, sterile open world games with realistic graphics who all looks like that they comes from the same universe but with zero creativity and charm. Those games trends to age terribly in just some years from its release.

Keman

DiamondCore

Here are my predictions for the game awards:

Game of the Year: TotK (it having the most amount of 10/10 scores of all time probably gives it an edge)
Best Narrative: Baldurs Gate 3
Best Indie: Sea of Stars
Best Action/Adventure: TotK
Best Family Game: Super Mario Bros. Wonder
Best Music: Sonic Frontiers (“released too late to qualify” last year)
Best Fighting Game: Street Fighter 6
Best Ongoing Game: Fortnite
Best Debut Indie Game: Sea of Stars
Best Audio Design: Dead Space Remake
Best Remake/Remaster: Resident Evil 4
Best Art Direction: Super Mario Bros. Wonder
Best RPG: Baldurs Gate 3
Best Sim/Strategy: Pikmin 4
Best Sports/Racing: Forza Motorsport
Best Multiplayer Game: Baldurs Gate 3
Players Voice: Sonic Frontiers (you KNOW the community will make this happen)
Most Anticipated Game: Final Fantasy VII: REBIRTH

Random announcement predictions:

DS2 thingy or something

Ninjago: Shadow of Ronin - Remake (Hopefully Tt Games’ next Lego game)

Metroid Prime 4: Legacy

• Will eat my shorts if this happens
  • Coming (2024) for Nintendo Switch and “Nintendo Switch 2” (no elaboration)

Hades II Update
Earthblade Update

And finally…
5 random realistic FPS games literally nobody asked for nor wanted!

Pretty much inactive
-=-=-=-
Development (B)log: https://diamondcore.itch.io/monochromia-dcs
Reviews: https://letterboxd.com/diamondcore/
Currently Playing: Suprisingly, nothing.

FishyS

@DiamondCore A lot of that is plausible, but no chance Sonic Frontiers wins Player's Voice. It got a 4/10 rating on this website (though 6.8 player score). 😝 It is far too inconsistently liked even amongst players. As for music, Final Fantasy 16 has some amazing music and a few other games this year do as well so it will be a competitive year for music.

Edited on by FishyS

FishyS

Grumblevolcano

2022 revealed that studios/publishers can game the Players' Voice category by offering free ingame items for winning (if Genshin Impact didn't do a "free items for winning the category" promo campaign, Sonic Frontiers would've won). So the winner this year will probably be another gacha game if not Genshin Impact again.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

FishyS

@Grumblevolcano To be fair, 10-20 times as many people play Genshin regularly as bought Sonic Frontiers and a lot of Genshin players are pretty obsessed with the game.

Player's Voice is very arbitrary either way — clearly the majority of game players don't actually like Sonic Frontiers. Genshin won with a promo campaign, Sonic almost won with a a social media campaign. If you could magically get all game players in the world to vote it would be interesting to see what happened, although it might just always be candy crush. 😝

FishyS

Smth2024

tbh as much as I think Frontiers deserves the best music award (and honestly it deserves the Players Voice award after last year), regardless of what happens I’ll just be happy that the Sonic fans were able to enjoy a high quality game.

and yes, i was frustrated about genshin winning initially. but i got over quickly, cause in the end it… doesn’t really mean anything. as much as the awards are cool and all, what matters is that you enjoy the game.

i’ll be vewy mad if cassette beasts doesn’t get an award though. /j

I dunno.

Rest in peace, Akira Toriyama.

i struggle with self doubt & anxiety sometimes, so please be respectful if my posts aren’t the most positive! ^u^

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic