Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 29,401 to 29,420 of 30,653

NintendoByNature

@ThanosReXXX @ReaderRagfish Dave and busters are the only big ones i know about. Usually though I recall them having newer arcade games hardcore gamers like us don't find too appealing( or at least itching to get our paws on). Deal or no deal comes to mind. Not that it isnt good or anything, but not aimed at gamers. Nonetheless I tend to have a good time when I pop Into those places. Not sure if it's the beer or the games though

NintendoByNature

ThanosReXXX

@NintendoByNature I haven't really been to many lately, but over here, all you'll find in bars is a gambling machine, pool table, or if you're lucky, a pinball machine or maybe one of those Neo Geo multi-game cabinets. But hardly ever with the good titles. I used to know of one lounge bar with one of these Pac-Man tables, that you sit down at, but unfortunately, that disappeared quite a few years ago already.

EDIT:
Everything except pool tables can often also be found in snack bars.
Real snack bars, not McDonald's, mind you.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

NintendoByNature

@ThanosReXXX yea there's some pizza places locally that have some cabinets still. And Some breweries that tend to have some old school cabinets. But still, not a place filled with good old fashioned arcade cabinets I saw growing up

NintendoByNature

1UP_MARIO

@ThanosReXXX I’ve had my fair share of twist and turn. Then again, life without problems is no fun 😉

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5229-5058-9308

ThanosReXXX

@NintendoByNature Same here, for the most part. There are a small handful of true arcade halls still, but none really near where I live. We used to hang out at one in the center of the city, that had all the good games, but that has been gone for years, and been replaced with something more "touristy"...

@1UP_MARIO Well, I'm not one to complain much, but at my age, I've honestly had my fill of problems.
Had more than my fair share of them, so time for someone else to take over the baton from me...

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

HobbitGamer

Arcades weren’t a big thing when I was growing up. There was a 7-11 with the TMNT, Pizza Hut with Pac-Man and Simpsons, and some hotel in Oklahoma with Robotron. That’s about all I remember. I’m sure the mall in VA Beach had one, but I was more interested in the Smithsonian store and Walden Books at that time.

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Sintown

Wish i was there for arcades, would probably have been awesome.
(and maybe i would have some friends irl too rip)

Sintown

ReaderRagfish

I wasn't a huge fan of arcades as a kid (I preferred playing games at home) and now I regret not going more often. Arcades pretty much stopped being huge in the early 2000s, but many of them at least stayed open for quite a few more years. But only a small handful have survived to 2019.

Still waiting for Atlus to make Snowboard Kids 3

Sintown

ReaderRagfish wrote:

but many of them at least stayed open for quite a few more years. But only a small handful have survived to 2019.

At least you still got a few, my country has none.

Sintown

NintendoByNature

@AlohaPizzaJack I forgot about the Simpson's arcade beat em up. That was one of my favorites.. from what I recall. Bart rode a skateboard and Marge hit people with a vacuum cleaner right?

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

ThanosReXXX

Hm, it would seem that I haven't been keeping enough of an eye on the rebirth of arcade halls in and around my area:

@Sintown As you can see, not quite true, as I've also just found out, so I actually made the same mistake as you. From what I've read from their website, GameState arcade halls can actually be found in multiple places in the Netherlands, so sounds like a fun idea for a day trip or something...

Sintown

@ThanosReXXX Whoa damn, look at that i'm glad to be wrong here! Definetly know what i'm gonna do when i'm in Amsterdam again.

Sintown

ThanosReXXX

@ReaderRagfish Those last two videos I posted are from a Barcade, so I guess those really ARE a thing.
For a second there, you did actually have me wondering...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

ThanosReXXX

@Sintown Glad to be of service. I was actually pleasantly surprised myself, to find out that large arcade halls still exist around here.

ReaderRagfish

@ThanosReXXX That second video looks like the equivalent of a Chuck E Cheese/Dave and Busters, you go there to play lame ticket games where you can spend $10 on tokens to earn a small pack of gum by playing skeeball.

The others look pretty sweet though!

Still waiting for Atlus to make Snowboard Kids 3

ThanosReXXX

@ReaderRagfish I think you haven't been looking closely enough: it's about 50/50. The clip is short, but it shows more than enough video game cabinets, and the other half is the obvious air hockey and ball games, which you also find in dedicated arcade halls abroad. I think you got the Chuck E Cheese idea from the 2,5 seconds in which this guy appeared, buried under a mountain of tickets...

@Sintown Well, seeing as most of them have only been around for 2 or 3 years at most, I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that they're going to be there for at least a couple more years to come, so you'll get your chance to visit them at least once or twice...

All of them can be found in Amsterdam, by the way, including GameState, even though the video says it's in Utrecht. That's the only video I could find of it, but there is one in Amsterdam as well.

Tyranexx

@ThanosReXXX, @NEStalgia Just wanted to let you two know that I read your replies and agree with them. Today has been nuts! I'm one of the lucky minority who didn't get today off....

Anyway, yeah, you'd think someone of my background would be stoked to live in California, but between the cost of living, a high-risk fault zone, and...INTERESTING...politics, I think I'll just keep my exposure to "visiting" status.

Video Corner: How SM3DW Actually Started
Currently playing: Pokemon Ultra Sun, any non-RPG on the SNES Classic

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

HobbitGamer

@ReaderRagfish Skeeball... When I was little I loved to play that. Unfortunately, I didn’t roll the ball underhand like normal; I rolled it from underneath, with the top of my hand facing up as I flicked the ball forward. One day, this terrible decision caught up with me as I smashed my fingers between the solid wooden ball and the metal plating and the front of the lane.
Skeeeebaaaaaaall! Why hast thou forsaken me??

Edited on by HobbitGamer

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic