Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 29,401 to 29,420 of 96,531

ThanosReXXX

@NintendoByNature Ha, only now saw your edit. Greek-Italian, huh? Well, that is indeed as great a combo for good food, if ever I saw one. Both kitchens have wonderful dishes, aside from all the tasty snacks and drinks...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

NintendoByNature

@ThanosReXXX weird thing is my grandfather left the country in his early teens. He was dirt poor and peddled different items all over Europe. Eventually he met my grandmother, had my dad and uncle and came to the states in the 60s. He never looked back and only visited his mom ( my great grandmother ) once after being in the states. He never spoke about his time In greece. I think having some of his siblings die young and living in poverty he never looked at it in a great light so he never talked about it to me. I think we have some relatives there from what my dad says but I never pursued it

Edit: I was either stuffed with pasta or lamb on holidays hahahah

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

Heavyarms55

My dad's side of the family is Italian-American and so we had a lot of Italian style cooking in my family

My Aunt, his sister, married an Greek man and learned a whole bunch of Greek cooking from his family. She got so good at it that we often had family gatherings at her place for meals of mixed Italian and Greek cooking. It was awesome!

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

NintendoByNature

@Heavyarms55 man that sounds epic. For some reason we never had both my parents side of the family's get together it was always separated so it was either or

NintendoByNature

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee My ancestors are German-Dutch, so we can shake hands on the German part, then.

@NintendoByNature Kinda the same for me and my American relatives: I know my aunt and uncle, but have never been back there ever since I left when I was 9, now 40 years ago. They had kids, and their kids had kids, and by now, even they might have kids, I don't know.

My aunt and uncle used to come visit us every 2 or 3 years, but at some point, they got too old to travel, and now that they're gone, I only have family left in California that I've never seen or have spoken to, so the urge to go there and get to know them, although there, is not as present as it would have been if my aunt and uncle would have still been around.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

bimmy-lee

@ThanosReXXX - Hand shook then. There’s some Dutch in me too. I’m a mixed up mutt. My paternal grandmother’s father was nicknamed “Dutch”. He was great grandpa Dutch to me. Not sure if it’s relevant to his heritage, but the man made the best angel food cake I’ve ever had. Haven’t had a bite close to it since he passed in ‘88.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee Man, at some point, we gotta make an actual, physical handshake happen.
I'll throw in a couple of beers for good measure...

bimmy-lee

@ThanosReXXX - I agree. And the beer action really appeals to the German, Irish, Dutch and Belgian in me. Throw in some bread, chocolate, and cheese, and it’s everything I love to consume. I’m visiting Amsterdam. It’s only a matter of when.

limby-bee was a jerk.

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee Would this be a good time to tell you that one of my uncles (Portuguese, and married into the family) owns an Irish pub, in the center of the city?

Situated next to the canals, 2 storeys, filled with bars, TV screens and pool tables...

EDIT:
Just read them glowing reviews...
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g188590-d351008...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

SheldonRandoms

Just when I was slimming down, memorial day and weekend decided to rev up a lot of food....Worth i-BURP!

I made Sheldon & Mr. Randoms back on Flipnote Hatena, now i'm a kangaroo mod that has a funko pop collection!

I'm not keen politics since that stuff is spooky, I'd rather watch SpongeBob over Fox News anyways!

Fortnite Creator Code: SheldonRandoms

Switch Friend Code: SW-2240-6609-5332 | 3DS Friend Code: 5429-9754-3617 | Nintendo Network ID: SheldonRandoms

bimmy-lee

@ThanosReXXX - Oh man, I love a good Irish pub. Very few places feel as inviting to just get silly with beer. It’s basically expected. At least over here. I’ll gladly join you at your uncle’s pub for many hours of festive drinking and conversation when I visit. We have “English pubs” here as well. I’ve often wondered what someone from Ireland or England would think about their respective public house representations here in the states.

@NintendoByNature - It was in Greektown, but I’ve never been able to remember the name of the place. Start to finish, appetizer to desert, it was one of the three best restaurant experiences of my life. I was in town to see RL Burnside play at the House of Blues, so we were getting properly prepped for a concert. Probably why I can’t remember the name of the place, even though it holds a special place in my heart. RL had a heart attack and canceled the show. Luckily his opening act, T-Model Ford, was willing to play the whole show. He drank a bottle of whiskey on stage. Later, he pulled a gun and got arrested. On stage. That’s when the concert ended. Great night.

limby-bee was a jerk.

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee Added an edit to the previous comment, so you can judge for yourself, if it looks Irish enough.
The Irish that visit here certainly seem to think so...

Maybe the American way of making wanting to make almost everything big and fancy is kinda what clashes with the idea of a real Irish pub, which is supposed to have narrow pathways, and have a cozy, almost homey atmosphere.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

bimmy-lee

@ThanosReXXX - Good lord, 0.3 miles from the Van Gogh museum?!? I propose an Irish breakfast at Aran overlooking the famous canals and all the bicycle commuters, followed by a brisk walk to the Van Gogh museum, followed by a leisurely stroll back to Aran’s (with stops along the way) to finish out a strong day.

I’ve definitely been into some Mericanized Irish Pubs that are basically just our bars with Guinness beer mirrors, but I would say most of them strive to present what we perceive to be authenticity so as not to become a known fake. In my experience, the best representations are in big cities in the NEC.

limby-bee was a jerk.

Tyranexx

To my knowledge, most if not all of my ancestry is German. There are some distant cousins on my paternal side that still live there. There are definitely plenty of family recipes in the meat and dessert department.

Sooo...I properly tried out Mega Man X this evening. The opening stage and Chill Penguin weren't bad, but now I'm attempting the Spark Mandrill stage. I'd love nothing more than to enter the game right now and rip this bubbly spike ball thing a new one. 🤬😤

I legit think that I'd rather replay Super Castlevania IV right now instead.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee I think the actual Cheers bar was a good lookalike for an Irish pub, and I suppose a lot of the speak-easy's, who were always small and secreted away, would also make for really good Irish pubs.

Some of them might even be remodeled as such, come to think of it.

ThanosReXXX

@Tyranexx My, my...
What with all the German ancestry in here, I'd almost start to wonder if we really did win the war...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

bimmy-lee

@ThanosReXXX - Yeah, communal is key. Unlike American bars where we arrive with everyone we’ve known forever, look sternly at everyone we don’t know, require space, and leave with the same enrichment with which we came.

@Tyranexx - I feel you sister. I’ve been Glass Joe to Dr. Wily since 1987.

limby-bee was a jerk.

ogo79

planning chinese buffet trip soon.
beatings shall be born.

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

Tyranexx

@ThanosReXXX It DOES make one wonder, doesn't it? None of my living family was born there though. The closest one that I know of was my great-grandmother, and she was a toddler when she sailed over here. We're still talking late 1800's; grandma was the youngest kid, and the dear lady just turned 91 last month.

@bimmy-lee I think I much prefer the Mega Man Battle Network games. The genre for that series is more to my tastes. I finally got past that thing and beat the stage, but yeesh; the Mandrill himself didn't take nearly as long. If only X could shoot vertically....

By far my favorite thing about MMX right now is the music.

@ogo79 I lay claim to all sushi at the buffet.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic