General Discussion Forum

Topic: Unwarranted Hate?

Showing 1 to 20 of 52

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

1. Posted:

Have you ever hated on a game simply because it was popular? How many times were they games you never played? And how many times did you find that, once you actually played it, that it actually wasn't that bad? Or how many times did you find that they truly, truly unworthy of its praise?

Have you ever liked a game, until you realized it was popular, or had its popularity intensify your dislike towards a game into dire loathing? Have you ever hated a game because you knew that people would overlook your favorite game so they could play that more popular game instead?

Or have you ever hated on a game, simply because so many other people tend to do so?

And for all you wanna-be philosophers, why do you think this happens?

In short, have you ever had some hatred towards a game that may be unwarranted?

I know I used to hate on games all the time, mainly due to their popularity (I probably still do, without realizing it). I remember hating on Halo, until I played it. I hated on Final Fantasy VII back when I all I knew about it was its title.I've hated Yoshi's Island, Muramasa, Fire Emblem, the list goes on and on and on, and nearly all of them. Heck, I still can't get into Super Mario Bros. 3 or Final Fantasy 6 because of all the praise they've gotten - I simply refuse to believe that they're anywhere as good as the other games in the series that I cherish so much. I used to love Chrono Trigger until I realized how popular it was - now I can't even get myself to pick it up anymore.:( And of course, there are game like Banjo-Kazooie and Golden Eye, which I had always disliked, but that dislike slowly grew into hatred as those games got so much praise that I honestly felt was undeserved.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WanderFan91

2. Posted:

I used to hate on Kirby Canvas Curse, but then I started to cool down. It's not that bad, but I didn't feel it was that good either. Also, the whole concept of the stylus controlling Kirby is something I never could grasp. :(

AKA StarBoy91
Ah, irony
Wanderloggery | StarBlog
Massive retro gamer with a heart <3
Big Wander Over Yonder fan
RIP Robin Williams 1951-2014 =(
23 and proud =)
To each their own

AuthorMessage
AvatarAdmin

theblackdragon

3. Posted:

if i haven't played it, i can't say that i hate it. it's as simple as that. it doesn't make sense to say that I don't like something if I don't have direct experience with it in order to add to the discussion, however negative it may be. :3 I can say that it does or doesn't look like something I'd be interested in playing, though.

however, if a game got especially bad reviews, i reserve the right to grin and lol when others who have played it are ripping on it. :3

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!
[16:44] Vintage: We have rules?
[16:44] Reala: don't expose the staff to sunlight, don't get them wet and don't feed them after midnight

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter: theblackdragon

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MrPinguy

4. Posted:

Mickeymac wrote:

Have you ever hated on a game simply because it was popular? How many times were they games you never played? And how many times did you find that, once you actually played it, that it actually wasn't that bad? Or how many times did you find that they truly, truly unworthy of its praise?

Have you ever liked a game, until you realized it was popular, or had its popularity intensify your dislike towards a game into dire loathing? Have you ever hated a game because you knew that people would overlook your favorite game so they could play that more popular game instead?

Or have you ever hated on a game, simply because so many other people tend to do so?

And for all you wanna-be philosophers, why do you think this happens?

In short, have you ever had some hatred towards a game that may be unwarranted, because of that game's popularity?

I know I used to hate on games all the time (I probably still do, without realizing it). I remember hating on Halo, until I played it. I hated on Final Fantasy VII back when I all I knew about it was its title.I've hated Yoshi's Island, Muramasa, Fire Emblem, the list goes on and on and on, and nearly all of them. Heck, I still can't get into Super Mario Bros. 3 or Final Fantasy 6 because of all the praise they've gotten - I simply refuse to believe that they're anywhere as good as the other games in the series that I cherish so much. I used to love Chrono Trigger until I realized how popular it was - now I can't even get myself to pick it up anymore.:( And of course, there are game like Banjo-Kazooie and Golden Eye, which I had always disliked, but that dislike slowly grew into hatred as those games got so much praise that I honestly felt was undeserved.

I know I'm not the only one who has experienced this - I've seen it do on in threads every day here.

Sooooooooooo, you don't like a game because other people LIKE the game......
Facepalm Too much time on the internet i guess....

MrPinguy

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Starkiller

5. Posted:

Y'know, I didn't realise it before, but I was being a little hard on Elite Beat Agents even though I've never played it. I don't really know why, though. I'm not one of those wanna-be philosophers.

Wii: 6384-4454-1095-5243 Mario Kart Wii: 2492-4524-4329 ([NL] Matt) Brawl: 0087-2097-5918
Excitebike - World Rally: 2966 0011 1622 (Matt) Bomberman Blitz: 3738-9648-1518 Dragon Quest Wars: 1634-4322-3201

AuthorMessage
Avatar

V8_Ninja

6. Posted:

I'm slowly starting to experience something like that with Madden. It's not a bad game, but it's so much of the same thing FROM YEAR TO YEAR that I have to say "WTF?" to my fellow gamers.

Thanks given to Xkhaoz for that one avatar.
Please contact me before using my custom avatar!
A (Former) Reviewer for Digitally Downloaded.net
My Backloggery, My Anime List, and My Blog
You can email me here.

AuthorMessage
AvatarAdmin

theblackdragon

7. Posted:

@MrPinguy: yeah, that's a pretty childish reason not to like something. i totally forgot to address that in my reply, lol. if you're basing what games you like on whether or not everyone else likes them or not, whether you go with or against the flow, you're still going to miss out on some quality titles. :/

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!
[16:44] Vintage: We have rules?
[16:44] Reala: don't expose the staff to sunlight, don't get them wet and don't feed them after midnight

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter: theblackdragon

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Infernape1000

8. Posted:

I hated FFCC ROF on the DS, simply because I could never pass one of the dungeons in the beginning of the game, even though a lot of people loved the game because of the story and battle mechanics, which were very well done. A couple of weeks ago, I beat the game, and am currently fininshing the New Game +. I love the game now, because in the end, I could beat that dungeon after all, It wasn't that hard, I was just simply afraid of dying.

Twitter - Infernape1000
Youtube - Infernape1000

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Starkiller

9. Posted:

@Infernape: Isn't the fear of dying what keeps you alive?

Wii: 6384-4454-1095-5243 Mario Kart Wii: 2492-4524-4329 ([NL] Matt) Brawl: 0087-2097-5918
Excitebike - World Rally: 2966 0011 1622 (Matt) Bomberman Blitz: 3738-9648-1518 Dragon Quest Wars: 1634-4322-3201

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RandomWiiPlayer

10. Posted:

Probably everyone and the Zelda CD-i games. I bet over half the people here have never even played them.

The Game.

Is it after 9PM EST? You should probably ignore the above post.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WanderFan91

11. Posted:

I will admit, hating a product solely because it's popular is farfetched at best. v_v

AKA StarBoy91
Ah, irony
Wanderloggery | StarBlog
Massive retro gamer with a heart <3
Big Wander Over Yonder fan
RIP Robin Williams 1951-2014 =(
23 and proud =)
To each their own

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Devil_Hunter_Dante

12. Posted:

I like trying new games all the time but there are some genres that just do not appeal to me. I would not call it hate though. But I cannot say I have ever hated a game because it was popular.

Devil_Hunter_Dante

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Uncle_Rick

13. Posted:

@RandomWiiPlayer,

you could probably say the same thing about a lot of the games AVGN has reviewed.

Push the button, Frank.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

astarisborn94

14. Posted:

How about hate a console? I used to hate the Playstation 3, until I realize how attractive the games, the console, the online, and the features were. Now I'm getting it next year.

I also used to hate Super Street Fighter II: The New Challenger for no reason other then the formally scary intro. Now that I really got the oppertunity to play it, it's very good. Fighting fans should pick this one up.

astarisborn94

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

WaLzgi

15. Posted:

I hate the PS3 not because it's popular (is it really? :P) I just hate it because i don't really have a good history with Sony, it's too expensive, it has a lot of junk that i'll never use and the games aren't very appealing at all :(

Nintendo Life moderator and duck.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

IAmNotWill

16. Posted:

MrPinguy wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

Have you ever hated on a game simply because it was popular? How many times were they games you never played? And how many times did you find that, once you actually played it, that it actually wasn't that bad? Or how many times did you find that they truly, truly unworthy of its praise?

Have you ever liked a game, until you realized it was popular, or had its popularity intensify your dislike towards a game into dire loathing? Have you ever hated a game because you knew that people would overlook your favorite game so they could play that more popular game instead?

Or have you ever hated on a game, simply because so many other people tend to do so?

And for all you wanna-be philosophers, why do you think this happens?

In short, have you ever had some hatred towards a game that may be unwarranted, because of that game's popularity?

I know I used to hate on games all the time (I probably still do, without realizing it). I remember hating on Halo, until I played it. I hated on Final Fantasy VII back when I all I knew about it was its title.I've hated Yoshi's Island, Muramasa, Fire Emblem, the list goes on and on and on, and nearly all of them. Heck, I still can't get into Super Mario Bros. 3 or Final Fantasy 6 because of all the praise they've gotten - I simply refuse to believe that they're anywhere as good as the other games in the series that I cherish so much. I used to love Chrono Trigger until I realized how popular it was - now I can't even get myself to pick it up anymore.:( And of course, there are game like Banjo-Kazooie and Golden Eye, which I had always disliked, but that dislike slowly grew into hatred as those games got so much praise that I honestly felt was undeserved.

I know I'm not the only one who has experienced this - I've seen it do on in threads every day here.

Sooooooooooo, you don't like a game because other people LIKE the game......
Facepalm Too much time on the internet i guess....

Lol. Thats exactly what I thought. I don't exactly hate games. I just think they suck.

Why can't Metroid crawl?
My Backloggery | Helpful Tips for Formatting Messages | NintendoLife Chat
Formerly WhoKnew, Its-Mii-Will
PSN ID: willfuture

3DS Friend Code: 0001-3392-4205 | Nintendo Network ID: willfuture

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

WaLzgi

17. Posted:

Now Halo on the other hand... that's definitely an over-rated series and I hate it because other people like it! :P

Nintendo Life moderator and duck.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RandomWiiPlayer

18. Posted:

Uncle_Rick wrote:

@RandomWiiPlayer,

you could probably say the same thing about a lot of the games AVGN has reviewed.

Oh god, I really could care less about the AVGN. To me, he isn't funny, and his reviews are just stupid. I can't even force myself to watch a single review the whole way through. So I don't really know most of the games he has reviewed.

The Game.

Is it after 9PM EST? You should probably ignore the above post.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

19. Posted:

I'm actually a little surprised by the answers I got here. I guess I must've gotten the only mature people around here.

Anywho, I decided to change the title of the topic to better fit what I was trying(and failing) to get at. I'll try to fix my mess-of-a-post later.:P

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Slapshot

20. Posted:

Funny cause this is a VERY fitting thread at the moment simply because of Uncharted 2. This first game didn't get great ratings and didn't sell anything groundbreaking when it released, but ended up growing a cult following, later netted a trophy patch wich had people playing the insane hard Crushing Mode wich had people really digging deep into the game and loving it...... then Uncharted 2. The developers put SO much love into the game. You can tell by every minute of gameplay that the developers actually Care about the characters they have created and want them to become more and more lifelike and likeable. Then they add a Multiplayer Mode wich fans barely cared about to begin with because its the single player that is awesome and it didn't need multiplayer. Naughty Dog ended up creating The Most Cinamatic Single Player Experince in Gaming History and a Multiplayer that is right there with Call of Duty and Halo as they drew inspiration from both Infinity Ward and Bungie. They marketed their game pretty heavily to get it in the publics eye unlike they did with the first game and what do you get. "Oh its so Overated", "Its not that great, How could it be". Well pick up the game and a controller and play it and find out for yourself. Quit complaining about something when youve never played. Stop comparing Halo, Uncharted, Killzone, etc to Mario, Zelda. There is a reason games have genres so dont cross reference them in comparisons.

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

Twitter: Slapshot82