Forums

Topic: Other Unpopular Opinions (non-gaming tech/media)

Posts 141 to 160 of 351

spizzamarozzi

ekreig wrote:

I don't watch or care about music videos at all, even the ones made by my favorite musicians. No particular reason behind the aversion, I just want to hear the music...

yeah music videos are the most stupid thing ever, especially the ones where they play electric instruments UNPLUGGED...
or even worse when they sync the studio track with a live performance footage. Bleh!

Edited on by spizzamarozzi

Top-10 games I played in 2017: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (WiiU) - Rogue Legacy (PS3) - Fallout 3 (PS3) - Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - Guns of Boom (MP) - Sky Force Reloaded (MP) - ...

3DS Friend Code: 0104-0649-7464 | Nintendo Network ID: spizzamarozzi

jump

Games of Throne is a glorified soap with a fantasy setting and no real plot.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

CanisWolfred

arronishere wrote:

Games of Throne is a glorified soap with a fantasy setting and no real plot.

You say the first part like it's a bad thing. The only major differences between your average TV soap and a good drama are the differences in the quality of the acting and writing. It's a human drama in supernatural and extreme circumstances, with the acting and writing to make it effective in conveying their plights to the audience. I don't see what's so wrong with that?

GoT has other issues, but I don't think that was one of them.

I haven't watched enough to say anything certain about the second part, but I do find it hard to believe it has "no real plot" when everyone I know seems to watch it for the plot. :/

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

jump

^What drives the show is who's fudging who, who's gonna betray who, who's gonna die next in an endless loop etc much like a soap rather than building a story like a drama as there isn't one beyond the basic McGuffin who's gonna be sitting on the throne which is more of setting than a plot device. Seriously ask someone who's a fan of the show what the story is about and they will struggle to what to say.

My girlfriend describes the show as "What happens is you're watching the show and then your favourite character get's killed, then your second favourite character is killed followed by your third favourite character and you're in shock" which is fine but it's being hearld as the greatest drama on telly and for me it's got nothing on shows with an actual story to tell like Breaking Bad's about a nice guy becoming a SOB or The Wire's repeat of history in the war on drugs.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

CanisWolfred

arronishere wrote:

^What drives the show is who's fudging who, who's gonna betray who, who's gonna die next in an endless loop etc much like a soap rather than building a story like a drama as there isn't one beyond the basic McGuffin who's gonna be sitting on the throne which is more of setting than a plot device. Seriously ask someone who's a fan of the show what the story is about and they will struggle to what to say.

My girlfriend describes the show as "What happens is you're watching the show and then your favourite character get's killed, then your second favourite character is killed followed by your third favourite character and you're in shock" which is fine but it's being hearld as the greatest drama on telly and for me it's got nothing on shows with an actual story to tell like Breaking Bad's about a nice guy becoming a SOB or The Wire's repeat of history in the war on drugs.

That very much is a story, though. Not every story is so stringent. It has a plot, and everything else leads towards the endgoal of that plot. Not every step towards it is grand or obvious, but it still very much a story.

Not to say you have to like it, but compared to most shows, where most episodes are blatant filler, where nothing of value is gained or lost outside of the rare "plot episodes" (assuming there are any), then I think it's unfair to say it "has no real plot". It does, the question is just whether or not you like the progression and excecution, which IMO is the much bigger issue here. (I think what you're trying to get at is that it has pacing problems, which I would very much agree with)

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

LzWinky

Anime is grossly overglorified and overrated

...with that said I did enjoy a handful of anime

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

jump

CanisWolfred wrote:

That very much is a story, though. Not every story is so stringent. It has a plot, and everything else leads towards the endgoal of that plot. Not every step towards it is grand or obvious, but it still very much a story.

Not to say you have to like it, but compared to most shows, where most episodes are blatant filler, where nothing of value is gained or lost outside of the rare "plot episodes" (assuming there are any), then I think it's unfair to say it "has no real plot". It does, the question is just whether or not you like the progression and excecution, which IMO is the much bigger issue here. (I think what you're trying to get at is that it has pacing problems, which I would very much agree with)

I disagree, the characters have a "plot" but not the show itself much like a soap where it carries on pointlessly as a vehicle for the charactrer's interactions rather than a story being told. As I stated above ask someone what the story of the show is and they are left confused as to what to say it's about.

Nicolai wrote:

jump

I'm not sure anime could really be called overrated when it's such a niche thing.

Nicolai wrote:

iKhan

Arrow Season 3 wasn't just underwhelming or below par. It was straight up bad.

And Olicity was the main casuse

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

jump

iKhan wrote:

Arrow Season 3 wasn't just underwhelming or below par. It was straight up bad.

And Olicity was the main casuse

TBH I've never been impressed by Arrow, every now and then it does something I hear about and want to see it and I get dragged back in (I've gotten half way through season 3 then gave up....now Damien is in it) but the show was flawed from the get go. It's a tween drama that fights being a tween drama and wants to be a superhero/crime drama but then it doesn't just want to be a Green Arrow superhero show it wants to be a Batman superhero show. That being said season 2 was good and The Flash has seamlessly pulled off tween drama and superhero.

Nicolai wrote:

CanisWolfred

arronishere wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

I disagree, the characters have a "plot" but not the show itself much like a soap where it carries on pointlessly as a vehicle for the charactrer's interactions rather than a story being told. As I stated above ask someone what the story of the show is and they are left confused as to what to say it's about.

I disagree that that's a bad thing...but I'm willing to let it go. That's just tastes, and honestly, I don't like Game of Thrones enough to defend it.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

CanisWolfred

@arronishere - Ah, that I'll gradly agree with, though...a Soap Opera is actually a type of TV drama. Just saying...it's not like they're wrong by saying "it's the greatest drama on television" in the sense that they're using the wrong category. That's like saying "Zelda isn't the best Adventure game, because it's an Action/Adventure!" when the reality is it still fits the bill, since Action/Adventure is a type of adventure game, and "Adventure" is just a broader category.

You could still argue that there are better Dramas, but then it's just down to tastes...

ekreig wrote:

LztheQuack wrote:

Anime is grossly overglorified and overrated

...with that said I did enjoy a handful of anime

There are some anime I enjoy as well, but my main problem with it is that I see the same character/plot cliches pop up in so many of them. In general, it just seems more formulaic than other types of media. I kinda have the same issue with JRPG games, but I can forgive them more readily because I find them fun to play.

I couldn't disagree more, at least with the idea that they're more formulaic than any other media. I won't deny that there are a lot of tropes, but how can possibly say that western TV shows, cartoons, movies, and games have are any less trope-filled? If anything, the only other media that has as much breadth and diversity to the amount of tropes used are novels, and that's about as diverse as it gets.

What's more important is the excecution, and we can argue all week about that and still make little-to-no headway...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

jump

Given how much generic anime there is I can agree it's formulaic, the meek annoying teen having girls fighting over him is the one tha does my head in, but I do like anime as it seem more open to play around with the basic premises of what the show will be about no matter how stupid/far fetched they are which very few (meduims would put into production.

Nicolai wrote:

Peek-a-boo

I have gone off watching television series as I just cannot seem to like anything after Breaking Bad, Fargo, True Detective, The Wire or, comedy wise, Curb Your Enthusiasm however, I decided to try Bates Motel on a complete whim a while back.

See, even though I know it isn't particularly brilliant by any stretch of the imagination, the slow descent of Norman Bates going from being a lost and confused young boy to an intimidating and psychotic man makes for surprisingly good television.

Quite nice to be able to enjoy a throwaway show like this!

Peek-a-boo

grumblebuzzz

Peek-a-boo wrote:

Bates Motel isn't a throwaway show though. It's pretty widely regarded as a critically-acclaimed, well-acted program.

When I close my eyes, I see pixilated blood.

CanisWolfred

Yeah, not gonna lie, Bates Motel actually looks and sounds really good. I haven't said that about a western television program (that wasn't a cartoon, seeing as Rick and Morty still exists) in almost a decade (and I'm pretty sure the last one got cancelled very quickly).

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

grumblebuzzz

I've only seen a few episodes of Bates and while I did enjoy it, it was a little slow for me. My favorite "throwaway" show would be American Horror Story, and while it can get kind of ridiculous in the writing department, it gets tons of awards and accolades for acting too.

When I close my eyes, I see pixilated blood.

iKhan

Amazon Prime Day was great. Save for a movie and some albums, they offered everything I was looking for.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

iKhan

Peek-a-boo wrote:

I have gone off watching television series as I just cannot seem to like anything after Breaking Bad, Fargo, True Detective, The Wire or, comedy wise, Curb Your Enthusiasm however, I decided to try Bates Motel on a complete whim a while back.

See, even though I know it isn't particularly brilliant by any stretch of the imagination, the slow descent of Norman Bates going from being a lost and confused young boy to an intimidating and psychotic man makes for surprisingly good television.

I'm not a huge fan of psychological thrillers, but I'm thinking of giving that show a chance because it has Freddie Highmore, one of my favorite actors, in it.

ThePirateCaptain

@iKhan: I've only watched the first season (get on the others Netflix!), but I really enjoyed it. The acting was pretty solid and the storyline kept me intrigued the whole way through.

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.